Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 43 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: The IPB archive is back from the dead!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:44 pm 
[*]
Kritter wrote:
I have nothing to apologise to you for, but if it gets you off my back then sorry for whatever I did to cause a 1-sided tiff with you.

I still have no idea who you are though.

Awwwwww, you actually apologized even though me and you both know there was nothing to apologize for.

You know what;

just for that

ZELMA VS KRITTER BATTLE END

WINNER....

KRITTER

You put up a good fight man, shout out to you. You're truly a worthy opponent.

to this point, i recently saw some video where a stupid teenager blew both of his hands off with a pipe bomb. my only question is, why couldn't this have been zelma2chainz instead?

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:05 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
It's nice to see the archive back up! :D It's quite interesting to see what was the MFGG forums like back then and how active it was at that time, before I even discovered this place! Also, I think this means we can add more info in the competitions that took place in the IPB forums in the MFGG Wiki, and possibly other stuff that were in the IPB era. :) I hope archives for the other iterations of the MFGG forums will be available someday, if that's possible.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:45 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Q-Nova wrote:
I hope archives for the other iterations of the MFGG forums will be available someday, if that's possible.

Don't hold your breath - according to Vinny, the original iteration of the phpBB forums (the one from 2009-2010) is lost forever minus a few topics and forum listings that were archived by the ever trusty Wayback Machine. I don't think any of the forums prior to the Invision Power Board one were archived, so no EZBoard or VBulletin archives either afaik.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:49 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Vimimin wrote:
Q-Nova wrote:
I hope archives for the other iterations of the MFGG forums will be available someday, if that's possible.

Don't hold your breath - according to Vinny, the original iteration of the phpBB forums (the one from 2009-2010) is lost forever minus a few topics and forum listings that were archived by the ever trusty Wayback Machine. I don't think any of the forums prior to the Invision Power Board one were archived, so no EZBoard or VBulletin archives either afaik.

Shame, that. I always hate seeing history lost to time.

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:57 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Parakarry wrote:
Would it be possible to have a super retro styled skin themed off of the default on that board?

I'd love for the next iteration of the MFGG forums to include a retro skin. If someone wants to make one, let me know and I can provide you with any relevant images and CSS files.

Kritter wrote:
MFGG has changed a LOT since those days, I feel like the community as a whole has grown up and matured quite a lot since then.

I know there are still some tensions on MFGG, but overall, the community is more polished and less dramatic than it was in 2008 or 2009. It would be awesome if we could find a way to recapture the activity we've lost, though.

Super Mario WTL wrote:
I'm not sure about the long-term future of the IPB archive. Circa-2003 IPB is archaic software, and I was surprised that I was able to get it running on PHP 5.4 simply by removing a few random ampersands. MyBB has a tool for importing data from IPB 1.3 installations, although this would probably break custom mods (like badges) and themes. In any case, I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure that this archive is preserved in some shape or form. The IPB boards are an impressive archive of the previous decade's Internet/youth culture, and many people may find them interesting. A lot of other online communities of that era have vanished, and it's nice that MFGG's archive has survived for 14 years. I know of a couple of MFGGers who have passed away, and some of their friends and family have asked if they could see their old posts.

I can also understand if people don't want their old stuff to be publicly accessible. If people express concerns about embarrassing old posts resurfacing, I'll be happy to take action to alleviate their concerns.

Retriever II wrote:
I'd almost forgotten how amazingly active that place used to be.

Yeah, it's amazing just how active the MFGG forums were during the IPB era, despite being a nonprofit niche community that wasn't formally promoted at all. While browsing the archive, I saw a lot of topics that got dozens of replies within an hour. Considering the decline of modern forums as a means of communication, I doubt MFGG will ever be as active as it was then, but I think we can take some inspiration from the old boards to bring back some of the cool things we used to do but stopped doing - iScribble, playing online games together, and so forth.

Retriever II wrote:
That's a lot of broken photobucket images.

Sadly, the loss of a lot of image hosts and file hosts - especially Imageshack and Photobucket - has resulted in a lot of "digital decay". Fortunately, some images from other hosts are still accessible. If there are any specific topics that are especially valuable to you, please make sure that you download a full archive of the pages (including the images) to your personal hard drives, because there's no guarantee that these external links will be hosted forever.

Dustinvgmaster wrote:
I always hate seeing history lost to time.

I totally agree. I'll make sure that multiple people have a backup of the IPB archives (and the current forums when they're retired) so that they won't be lost to the sands of time.

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:39 am 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
One request I have is to block search robots from indexing it. (if it isn't doing that already), it could potentially make it easy to dig up dirt on people and I don't see much value in having these old pages in Google's search database. (not sure how far they'd make it with no SEO effort either, but still)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:30 am 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Super Mario WTL wrote:
One request I have is to block search robots from indexing it. (if it isn't doing that already)

That's fair. I'm pretty sure that search engines have never been able to index the IPB forums. I haven't verified this, but I'd imagine it's a robots.txt setting. If I'm wrong about this, let me know.

Of course, considering how old IPB 1.3 is, the SEO on it would probably be atrocious anyway. That may also be why the Wayback Machine has been very spotty about archiving old IPB threads.

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:25 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
Super Mario WTL wrote:
One request I have is to block search robots from indexing it. (if it isn't doing that already)

That's fair. I'm pretty sure that search engines have never been able to index the IPB forums. I haven't verified this, but I'd imagine it's a robots.txt setting. If I'm wrong about this, let me know.

Of course, considering how old IPB 1.3 is, the SEO on it would probably be atrocious anyway. That may also be why the Wayback Machine has been very spotty about archiving old IPB threads.

You're mistaken, they definitely were indexed back when they were up. Google removes 404s and stuff like that so its no surprise they havent been indexed the past few years. Even now there's nothing in the robots.txt. Adding something like this would be a good idea:
Code:
User-agent: *
Disallow: /

Wayback machine has always done spotty backups for these old IPB boards in general, not sure if it has trouble scraping them or just that forums have too much content for their bot to bother archiving (especially a huge forum like MFGG's).

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:07 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I added the robots.txt code. Good idea, thanks

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:26 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Retriever II wrote:
That's a lot of broken photobucket images.

Most of the old Hall of Shame is lost...

Seems the same is true for the Mawio and Sawnik threads...

How disappointing.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:37 pm 
[RII]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I was a bit disappointed all the images were gone from my post digging up all the unused PM:TTYD partners, considering I self-hosted that stuff.

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:51 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
in most cases the photobucket images should still be out there- they just blocked third-party hotlinking- so if you want to see the image you can probably copy the url into a new tab and do a hard refresh. I've done it before so I know that works at least _sometimes_. Maybe someone can write a script that scrapes all the images from third-party hosts and updates the URLs to them as needed? I'm sure this would take up a TON of data and bandwidth though and not happen very quickly

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:04 am 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

The Casual Conversation Castle should now be visible to guests, in case you never had an account on the IPB boards and want to see what that forum looked like.

IPB software wrote:
Welcome back; your last visit was on Mar 18 2014, 05:04 PM

I saw this when I first logged on a few days ago. That's been a while! (I really want to say that the archive was broken by then, so maybe I was still signed in when I tried to access the broken archive.)

If someone wanted to write a script to scrape old Photobucket links, especially for the development and arts boards, that would be pretty awesome. I also understand if no one feels like taking on such a Herculean task.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:21 pm 
A forgotten forum.
[*]
[*]
[*]
Where can I find said archives? I don't seem to see them anywhere on the forums.

I grew up with phpbb, and I won't let those memories go to waste.

If any of the staff members can see this, please, let us revisit these forums. They were one of the best parts of my MFGG experience.

~Kirb Berry

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:08 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

KirbyLover2048 wrote:
Where can I find said archives? I don't seem to see them anywhere on the forums.

The forums ARE the archive.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:35 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
If someone wanted to write a script to scrape old Photobucket links, especially for the development and arts boards, that would be pretty awesome. I also understand if no one feels like taking on such a Herculean task.

I don't have anything I could leave running to run or test such a script, but if that changes I'll let you know. I figure it'd make sense to just download all third party files and save them somewhere in the uploads directory just in case something else goes down (which more than likely, something will; who knows how much data we've already lost).

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:22 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Makes sense. The original forum archive itself is intact, other than the old PPP posts (which had to be pruned many years ago). File attachments still exist, too. However, a significant percentage of third-party links (file uploads and images) have been moved or deleted, which is unfortunate.

Speaking of file attachments, those still exist for the first iteration of the phpBB forums. I don't think I mentioned that.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:46 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:
Reading some of this stuff is surreal and embarrassing, I've honestly forgotten 99% of what happened in that era so it's like i'm reading things that happened to some other guy with my name. 2003 - 2007 or so was a tempestuous time in my life and MFGG suffered for it. I know I was a massive ***hole to Shadowman, Klobber, RII and a bunch of the other mods and admins of yesteryear and I don't think I ever really apologised for that.

Sorry guys :(

For everything that happened, for however stressful it was, I still look back fondly on the time you deleted the rules and the board went into anarchy. And not that I wasn't being a twerp myself. Water, bridge. :biggrin:

Friends, here's a great topic about what MFGG will be like in 2016.

King Piranha Plant wrote:
By 2016...
  • Everyone who's here now will be gone
  • Everyone will be using Game Maker or some new free software
  • Clickteam will go out of business
  • Nobody will bother to learn Game Maker code and all games will suck
  • People will still be commenting on 14-year-old libs saying "THIS SHOULD BE A SPRITESHEET"
  • MFGG will be run by nobody and turn into a huge spam forum
  • All fangames will be about Luigi (IN HIS FIRST EVER FANGAME ADVENTURE)

ShadowMan wrote:
I won't be around, but I'll still at least make amateur games as a hobby.

Oh and I'll be 26. Jesus.

Retriever II wrote:
Yeah I don't see us being around these parts in 2016. That, and I'll be f***' 30.

Über n00ber wrote:
I'm going to laugh if none of these "predictions" come true and we're all still on MFGG.

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:21 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Shadowman wrote:
I still look back fondly on the time you deleted the rules and the board went into anarchy.

I 100% do not remember that at all. Up until I read that on the forums, I honestly thought we had a fight over forum skins or something like that, I had no idea it was about rules.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:31 am 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
By 2016...
  • Everyone who's here now will be gone

Partially true.

• Everyone will be using Game Maker or some new free software

Dangerously true.

• Clickteam will go out of business

They're getting there.

• Nobody will bother to learn Game Maker code and all games will suck

Absolutely true. False, clearly false.

• People will still be commenting on 14-year-old libs saying "THIS SHOULD BE A SPRITESHEET"

Pathetically true.

• MFGG will be run by nobody and turn into a huge spam forum

They're getting there.

• All fangames will be about Luigi (IN HIS FIRST EVER FANGAME ADVENTURE)

Tragically, Luigi passed away before this could happen. Summer 2016 was never destined to happen... but that does mean he went to Heaven... which is where he was For ;)

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 43 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic