[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
It's not an excuse if it turns out to be true is it? You might not like it because you've got your big boy britches on now, but me, I'm just happy I was able to play a game starring Mario (my son's favourite video game character) with my 3 year old boy and he was able to enjoy it from start to finish. He helped me do the cutout sections, loved to find unpainted spots for me to paint, he helped me swipe up the cards and choose what card to play, he loved picking cards at the Roshambo Temples and what he was unable to read in the dialogue he was able to understand through what was happening on the screen. And on all the characters being toads and other familiar Mario characters, my son was able to pick characters and name almost all of them because they're characters he's seen before in other games. He liked that the world was full of familiarity.

I loved Paper Mario 2 back in its day, put 100+ hours into multiple 100% playthroughs, but it's really not an exciting game to watch and it takes itself way too seriously at times. The world is fairly bland to look at, there's a lot of dull travel to do, marred with constantly being hit by enemies you don't want to fight. Load times between getting hit and starting a battle is atrocious. I could probably go on about its flaws. Colour Splash stripped all that back and simplified it in a lot of ways, but it also made up for it with fun dialogue and so many different areas each with their own themes and problems to solve.

And yeah you don't like those changes and that's fine, I liked the complexity of the battles and some of the original characters of Paper Mario 1 and 2, and I'm not a huge fan of everyone being a toad, but really I think I got a lot from Colour Splash and I don't regret my purchase of it in the slightest. I'll stand by saying it's a GOOD game. I don't care if people don't like it, I'm happy to defend it for what it is.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Changes you hate made in a game series
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:10 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I don't know if I'd have a similar reaction to Color Splash if I played it back then, but I remember myself of single digit age having a lot of fun with TTYD, even if I had trouble getting really far in it.

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:28 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i think if color splash (and presumably sticker star) appeals to kids, then fantastic- but then that's an incredibly limited audience. color splash is definitely pick up and play but i can't see it having a lot of longevity with more experience in other, presumably better games. there's a reason why people make awful children's movies, and that's because they know children aren't old enough to have developed a sense of taste or standard of quality like someone in their 20s and beyond. doesn't discredit a child enjoying any of it, because who's gonna tell a kid they can't have fun, but that's how it is for most if not all media

have you tried playing the original paper mario with your son? i'm curious to know how that goes, it's no question that TTYD's system is meant for more veteran RPG fans with the extremely deep badge mechanics and dialogue heavy story. the fun in TTYD comes from knowing how to twist it around so mario suits your own personal playstyle. PM64 is a lot simpler than TTYD obviously, and has far more familiar locales to boot, so i'd imagine it'd go over better

when color splash originally came out, i remember almost trying to force myself to like it. lots of points where sparks of creativity were visible through the cracks with a lot of genuine improvements from sticker star, but a lot of the core gameplay issues lingered like inventory management and one-hit game overs (on top of more personal gripes like dialogue being pretty weak and memetic at points)

ironically i think if they had trimmed the fat from TTYD and just put a game with similar gameplay on a handheld as was originally intended for sticker star, they would've had the best game in the series. now we've got 2 games back to back with poor reception and poorer sales and odds are they're gonna chalk it up to the problem being paper mario itself and not so much the quality of the newer games

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:01 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Inventory management and one-hit game overs were a drag but it was a tiny thing, not enough to stop me playing. Really what it boils down to is this:

"I had fun, my son had fun, it was a good game for us". I don't care if anyone else likes it and I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to like both it AND Paper Mario 2, I don't need to defend that.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[tt]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:38 pm 
:D
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I don't mind the "fat", it adds more to the game. More sidequests, locations, interest...

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:07 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I'd say ability to read is a skill needed to really get the most out of a traditional RPG, so his trouble getting trough TTYD doesn't surprise me. Any attempts of mine to play a RPG in Japanese have ended in confusion.

Anyway, off that topic, I'm trying to think of some instances of me hating a change, but I'm having trouble thinking of any that don't have a "BUT" attached to them. I didn't like the blander music in DKC Returns, BUT they brought David Wise back for Tropical Freeze.

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:32 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I personally really enjoyed Colour Splash's combat when it came to normal battles. I liked the transformation of battles into a sort-of puzzle that encouraged you to try out new cards to see if they were more efficient at defeating enemies than others.

I hated the Thing-mandatory puzzles, though, 'cause at least in Sticker Star you could brute force them if you wanted.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaanywhoo, even though I don't really look upon the original game very fondly anymore, it's a shame what they did to the story in the GoldenEye remake. The remade gameplay? Fantastic, I enjoy it quite a lot, they did a good job modernizing that. But the modernized story loses pretty much all of its weight. The original story was so tied into the Cold War and its aftermath that removing that element kinda just... had the story flop over dead. "I don't like war profiteering" is a much weaker villain motivation than "I was betrayed by my homeland and my sanctuary".

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:21 am 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I've been playing Animal Crossing recently and I just thought of one. While I think New Leaf improved on most things enormously and it's probably the best game in the series, I really don't like how watered down the animals' personalities became. In the other games, some of the villagers were huge jerks and it took time to get them to like you, while others were very sweet and others kind of neutral. I feel like there was a lot more development of the animals' relationship with the player, where in New Leaf all the animals are really nice from the get-go. They still have personality types, but they all come across as bubbly and fun, which isn't very interesting. There also seems to be a lot less of those "pointless" conversations you can have with them, like when they'd for some reason ask you what kind of music you listen to and you can respond, or they'll ask how their outfits look and stuff like that. Overall I think New Leaf majorly downgraded in terms of conversation and relationships with the animals, while upgrading everything else, and I'm not sure why... I guess one reason could be that they didn't want kids to feel unwelcome by the animals, but I played the game as a kid and so did my brother and most of our friends and none of us had any issue with that, I actually really enjoyed that aspect of it and it kept me immersed in the game for years. If we didn't like someone in the game we just beat him or her with our nets until they moved out. I feel guilty hitting anybody in New Leaf, which is a bit disappointing. That's what keeps me going back to Wild World and the Gamecube one pretty consistently, despite being inferior in pretty much every other area.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:47 am 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
After appearing in Sonic Adventure 2, Green Hill inserted into almost every Sonic thing ever. I hate seeing it now...

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 29 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic