Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 43 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: The IPB archive is back from the dead!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:36 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

They're back!

The MFGG forums ran on IPB software for many years - from 2003 to 2009, to be precise. During that time, we made a lot of great memories and shared a lot of information that might still be of interest to people - especially old fangames. Unfortunately, these forums were inaccessible after a server change several years ago. The current server runs a newer version of PHP that didn't play nice with IPB.

After doing a bit of sleuthing, I discovered why the boards weren't working! It was a single line of code in the sources/Boards.php file that passed values by reference in a way that PHP 5.4 doesn't support. When I fixed that line, lo and behold, everything worked again!

Some of you are probably excited to see this old stuff again. Some of you probably don't care. It's conceivable that a few of you might be embarrassed to see this old stuff resurface. I think it's important for these boards to be accessible. It's an impressive archive of Internet culture from the previous decade, and there's a lot of useful information and fun things in there. However, if there's anything especially sensitive that you'd prefer not to be publicly viewable, please let me know and we can discuss.

As MFGG's resident Database Person, let me know if you need help finding anything. Enjoy!

Last-minute edit: There may still be PHP errors lurking in the code. If that happens, just let me know and I'll fix 'em.

User page at mfgg.net

[cl]
 Post subject: Re: The IPB archive is back from the dead!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:40 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
All I can see, is the index page. But when I try to go to another page (ex: a topic), it will give me HTTP ERROR 500

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:56 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I made one fix to Topics.php and two fixes to Login.php. Now you should be able to view threads - and maybe even log in, for what it's worth.

User page at mfgg.net

[cl]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:08 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Thanks. Is this the one which had a "taloncrossing" prefix? Because I recall I was on another iteration in 2010, and I'm confused whether it's the current, or another.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:13 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

The archive I posted is the old Taloncrossing board. We had another phpBB forum that ran from November 2009 to November 2010. The current boards have been running since November 2010.

User page at mfgg.net

[cl]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:14 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Ah, I see, is there no archive for it? I am really curious to look back at it, as it was my first time on the MFGG forums.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:45 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I wish I could tell you that the old phpBB boards still existed somewhere. However, the database has been deleted from the server, and I know of no way to recover it. I asked everyone who might have them, and no one could find a copy. I believe they were deleted during a server change several years ago - I think it was 2011 or 2012. I still have a few individual topics saved on my computer, and you may be able to find some things if you use the Wayback Machine.

Also, I fixed the broken links to the Miscellaneous Discussion and CFP forums. Seems they used an absolute URL to the http://mfgg.taloncrossing.com, which broke some things after we stopped using that domain.

User page at mfgg.net

[tt]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:36 pm 
:D
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Yay! Cool!
Now I can revisit the day I lost my sh*t when they wanted to change the banner!
Incdidentally how many GBs is the previous forum version?

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:53 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

The IPB installation weighs in at 3.96 GB. Most of that comes from file uploads. The IPB database, which includes all user accounts, posts, and the forum structure itself, is 1.12 GB.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:35 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I still have access to the Mod Staff Super Forum. Here's a nice quote from me in there after I came back, got re-modded and realised the userbase of the forums had changed a lot.

Quote:
I'm sick and tired of the people here complaining about EVERYTHING.

YOU BANNED TROLL RATING, WAH

YOU BANNED SOME MEMBER, WAH

THIS SIG IS OFFENSIVE, WAH

YOU TOOK MY SIG AWAY, WAH

If people don't get their way, they have a cry about it and then take it out on the mods and we're not allowed to do anything because if we do, the whole damn thing escalates and gets much much worse.

This forum doesn't operate right at all. The members run it, not us. What the hell is wrong here?

Man I went on a super rant

Quote:
I'm so ****ing sick of this.

I get 50 reports saying "change Ashura's sig" so rather than change it for him, I PM him asking him nicely to change it and instead I get back "OH THE MEMBERS CONTROL THE MODS, THANKS FOR PROVING THAT TO ME"

Meanwhile i've got Mrs. A telling me how to do my job and saying "you had no right to close that Kritter topic other than you're a crap mod" despite the fact it'd turned into a big "lets blame Kritter for MFGG's current crapness" despite me saying time and time again for people to PM me if they have an issue.

Meanwhile i've got everyone else kicking up a stink because I closed topics that others reported a million times and topics that were just not necessary in the first place. People PM me to close them, so I review the topic, close it, and the SAME ****ing PEOPLE tell me I shouldn't have closed it? WHAT THE f***

This forum needs half the users wiped off the boards I swear because they're so damn out of control!

Quote:
Tri: You're saying that the members currently 'run' the forum and I'm agreeing with you, so I'm proposing that we become more imposing in response to people thinking that bypassing the rules is cute and won't get them banned.

Kritter: That won't work because then, like me, you'll just end up with 50 PM's in your inbox about people complaining that you're being too serious with the rules and being too hard on everyone etc etc, only said in a much nastier way.

Quote:
And we can't do anything to curb it as i've found out with troll ratings. When I posted that news topic, 9/10 people were fine with it but suddenly now EVERYONE's against it and i'm being hounded by people like Mrs. A, Zash and Joey posting that "No fun" image at me like troll rating was their source of fun and I took it away.

I'm sick of "u mad", reaction images, "co0l story bro" and all that too but we can't try and curb it here because these people would go insane.

Man people hated me for taking away their troll ratings and letting them say snarky things to every member who came their way. I was still right about it though.

Quote:
I want it known that decisions that're made here are a UNANIMOUS admin and mod decision for the most part. I don't think anyone here thinks I was wrong for wanting to curb the troll ratings, and I even asked before posting. I'm just tired that i'm the one copping all the backlash becuase I was the one who posted the topic.

Quote:
I probably shouldn't post it though, everytime I come up with an idea to help this place it backfires and ends up with me being a target XD

I was only trying to help, guys!

ITT Kritter pioneers the suggestions board
Quote:
How about we make a topic asking THEM for their ideas for what would improve this forum? Let 'em get it off their chest, but keep the topic moderated so that they don't argue with each others ideas, delete posts that're just arguments etc, becase all we're doing right now is arguing.

You poor, naive fool.
Quote:
It shouldn't be my responsibility though, I don't wanna be the one who comes off as being hard on people, i'd rather everyone had the same set of rules. Why have rules at all if we don't all follow the same set?

Somewhere the rules became too lax and we became too scared to enforce them.

Also RII is a good friend

Quote:
I will personally wipe the smirk off the next person that trolls Kritter, and it won't be with a red ! box.

Those were some volatile times. It's fun to go back and see just how things were back then. MFGG has changed a LOT since those days, I feel like the community as a whole has grown up and matured quite a lot since then.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[tt]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Man, I have 30K posts on that board.
And I had a real white-knightish personality, come to defend people who needed it. cause that's the right thing to do damnit.
It was later on that I learned that that sort of gets on people's nerves.
Quote:
Welcome back; your last visit was on Dec 16 2009, 03:56 AM

:cool:
Would it be possible to have a super retro styled skin themed off of the default on that board? At least with the yellow text or something.

[au]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:04 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Parakarry wrote:
Man, I have 30K posts on that board.
And I had a real white-knightish personality, come to defend people who needed it. cause that's the right thing to do damnit.
It was later on that I learned that that sort of gets on people's nerves.
Quote:
Welcome back; your last visit was on Dec 16 2009, 03:56 AM

:cool:
Would it be possible to have a super retro styled skin themed off of the default on that board? At least with the yellow text or something.

You had a pretty good grudge against me back in the day apparently. I think I've mentally blocked out 99% of what happened on the IPB, reading it all now is totally foreign.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:14 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I never even saw this topic back in the days after I deleted my account, but it's kind of nice to see Klobber and RII being so nice to me after the fact. There's a reason I still love those two guys. They understood me! Hard to believe it was so long ago.

http://archive.mfgg.net/index.php?showtopic=7322&st=0

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:11 am 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
Several years ago there were a handful of guides for getting IPB 1.3.x running on PHP5. Unfortunately they're probably pretty hard to come by these days. There is this though, which may help- see if you missed anything here. Idk how managable it'd be to keep the same software through the future though, I'm sure PHP 7 brings its own issues to IPB 1.3.x's spaghetti code, if this is a valuable piece of history to you then it's probably worth updating the software to something that's maintained. (this isn't even counting the potential security vulnerabilities that likely exist in it as well)

IMO, make a big event of it being up (maybe send out a mass email), let people copy and curate what they want, and put it to rest for good. Less headaches, less stuff to maintain, and peoples childhoods arent Online Forever.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:48 am 
[RII]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
That's a lot of broken photobucket images.

And quote pyramids!

I'd almost forgotten how amazingly active that place used to be. There wasn't even a post in the GC yesterday.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:14 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Reading some of this stuff is surreal and embarrassing, I've honestly forgotten 99% of what happened in that era so it's like i'm reading things that happened to some other guy with my name. 2003 - 2007 or so was a tempestuous time in my life and MFGG suffered for it. I know I was a massive ***hole to Shadowman, Klobber, RII and a bunch of the other mods and admins of yesteryear and I don't think I ever really apologised for that.

Sorry guys :(

User page at mfgg.net

[tt]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:44 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I think that's the reason I had a "grudge". I didn't take too kind to jerkiness.
Though grudges come and go.
And I had some confrontational personality elements.
Although I have good to say about the previous board, I'm more of a fan of my laid back non-confrontational self. More tempered.
Though I could use a little more gumption. I think some of the posting style turned off some of my oomph to push myself when it became a little stressful.

[au]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:17 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
When I first started as admin of that place I never used to be like that but I kind of took all the responsibilities upon myself all at once when TD left. I was admin, mainsite guy, tech guy all at once because this was before the days of the PHP mainsite. I redesigned the whole website, brought in new forum software and decided to run it all. At that point MFGG became my baby and that was fine for a while, but I think I put way too much pressure on myself.

The more members that arrived the more stressful it got and I had to be the guy who made the calls and did things members wouldn't like. I think at that point I figured it was easier to be cold about the whole thing because people were going to hate me anyway and I'd just take it because from my point of view it was for the good of the website. I didn't mind being the "bad guy", but the userbase of MFGG had some real issues at the time, even tiny admin decisions was met with huge opposition and that kind of mounting stress plus the huge stress in my own life away from the pc was way too much to deal with. I think that broke me and I couldn't cope anymore so I lashed out at everyone and eventually at myself and that was that.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:08 pm 
[*]
Kritter wrote:
Reading some of this stuff is surreal and embarrassing, I've honestly forgotten 99% of what happened in that era so it's like i'm reading things that happened to some other guy with my name. 2003 - 2007 or so was a tempestuous time in my life and MFGG suffered for it. I know I was a massive ***hole to Shadowman, Zelma, Klobber, RII and a bunch of the other mods and admins of yesteryear and I don't think I ever really apologised for that.

Sorry guys :(

Hey man, no problem. We all make our mistakes but the important thing is that we learn from them and become better people. Best of luck to you in the New World, Kritter!

to this point, i recently saw some video where a stupid teenager blew both of his hands off with a pipe bomb. my only question is, why couldn't this have been zelma2chainz instead?

[au]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:32 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I have nothing to apologise to you for, but if it gets you off my back then sorry for whatever I did to cause a 1-sided tiff with you.

I still have no idea who you are though.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 43 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic