[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Official Design Document
Discord Channel
GitHub Link

Welcome, one and all, to the revival of the Community Fangame Project! After there has been some discussion about bringing back fangames into the spotlight, a couple MFGGers decided it would be fun to start a project that puts its focus on the community. The project is currently planned to be a spiritual successor to the MFGG classic Super Mario War, made by Thunder Dragon, and bring back a flow of high quality fangames to this site. Ideally, it will be the first of multiple sanctioned MFGG collaborative games to be developed.

Midas Machine is pretty clearly closed off from direct public contribution at this point, so it’s not much of a “Community Fangame Project” anymore. This aims to replace it in that regard, and act as a scaleable project which, once the fundamentals are designed and developed, can keep expanding until its contributors collectively decide it’s sufficient enough.

We have not determined what game engine will be used to develop this fangame. It is likely that Game Maker: Studio 1.x will be used, but the final verdict will be determined by a poll targeting programmers interested in contributing.

Currently decisions are largely being on the Discord server dedicated to this project. It is likely that decisions will continue to be made there in the foreseeable future, so joining it would let your voice more easily be heard. However, it is not necessary to join the server to participate in this project so long as you are willing to communicate with a director on another platform, such as MFGG’s private messaging.

If you are interested in helping, please make a post in this topic or putting your name on the design document from above. The document also contains pretty much all you need to know about the project. We're hoping to make this fairly decent in scope, so any help is appreciated!

----------------------------

Here is a list of our current contributors:

Coding
  • Willsaber [General/Stage Editor]
  • Dustinvgmaster [General/Stage Editor]
  • Mors [UI Design/Implementation]
  • Gatete [Shaders]
  • Hypernova
Art
  • Mit
  • Cake
  • StrikeForcer [Stage Assets]
  • BigPotato
  • Cruise Elroy
  • zXspriter
  • KirbyLover2048 [Skins]
  • SilverVortex
  • DragonDePlatino
Sound
  • Heraga [SFX]
  • Zero Kirby [Voice Acting]
Stage Design
  • VinnyVideo
  • Cruise Elroy
  • Syaxamaphone
  • Kirby's Adventure
  • Dustinvgmaster
  • Heraga

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Community Fangame Project 2017
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:24 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
If you have any ideas for the project, there's a section at the bottom of the Google Doc where you can add them. I think most of y'all can only make Suggest Edits, but good edits can be accepted quickly. There's like, less than half a game designed at this point, so if you hop on now you can help decide what this game is.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:26 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
also, we're currently looking for director applicants! the three big director fields are for art, programming, and sound, so if you're interested please don't be afraid to post with your current experience! the vote will be held by the community when the time comes.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:31 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Mit wrote:
also, we're currently looking for director applicants! the three big director fields are for art, programming, and sound, so if you're interested please don't be afraid to post with your current experience! the vote will be held by the community when the time comes.

Where can applications for a director position be sent?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:35 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Willsaber wrote:
Mit wrote:

Where can applications for a director position be sent?

they can probably be posted here unless the director of HR wants to be used for this.

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:36 pm 
[*]
As a visual, here is a mockup of how the game might look. GUI and art style are still pending but the resolution, palette, sprite size and tile size are basically set in stone.

The direction I propose this project takes is to have simple, repetitive foreground elements with a nicely filled-in background. More detailed than Mario platformers but not as detailed as, say, Super Smash Flash. Parallax backgrounds may or may not be a thing.

The palette that has been agreed upon is Version 2 of pixeltao's NES palette. Sprite restrictions will not apply and more colors may be added at a later date like Shovel Knight did.

Last edited by DragonDePlatino on Mon May 15, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:38 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I really dig that camera angle, DPP! Vaguely oblique was slightly isometric on one axis. It's really cool looking!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:41 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I'll throw my hat in the ring for programming director

[Things I can do]
-A non-solid collision system with very few bugs that I've noticed
-Slopes
-Jumpthrough platforms
-HUD systems
-Mega Man-esque screen transitions of variable width and height
-A level editor

[Things I can probably do]
-Holding items
-Jumpthrough moving platforms

[Things I can't do]
-Solid moving platforms

I'll add more if/when I think of it

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:47 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Dustinvgmaster wrote:
[Things I can't do]
-Solid moving platforms
why am i not surprised

I don't think this would be enough for being a director, but I can do everything related to UI, from design to programming.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:04 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Although I'd like to join as Unity programmer, I'm busy and I realize that the majority of programmers are GM programmers. So instead, I can just help out with coding and math problems.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[us]
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:13 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I guess I'll apply for coder director. I've got experience with coding level editors from working on NEW Super Fangame Maker, so I'd like to work on that if we go for it.

I've also done this stuff:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I also have experience working in team projects. I've been on the Doctor Who Client Mod, a MC mod collab called Jurassicraft, an old team-based iteration of Super Mario Crusades back in 2014, and the ultimately-failed Project Purplius (a collaborative Abducted Toad fangame).

Last edited by Willsaber on Tue May 16, 2017 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:39 pm 
[*]
Wait, so we're not borrowing anything from Nintendo? Can't we just make this an original IP and sell it for charity or something?

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:42 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
P-Star7 wrote:
Wait, so we're not borrowing anything from Nintendo? Can't we just make this an original IP and sell it for charity or something?

Then it wouldn't be a fan game.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:51 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Mors wrote:
Dustinvgmaster wrote:
[Things I can't do]
-Solid moving platforms
why am i not surprised

Because I've made a point of telling you.

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:28 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
P-Star7 wrote:

We could. But we don't want to.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:49 am 
[*]
This isn't a rhetorical question. I can tell that there's some really talented people on this team which is why I'm asking this.

Why do we want to make this a fangame? Unless CE or someone qualified to represent this project emails Nintendo and miraculously gets the go-ahead, going ahead with this project would be violating a direct "no" from Nintendo. Who wants to make a fangame knowing that that is what they are thought of? Mario's parents are not asking for this, so I wouldn't want to give them this. I don't know about any of you guys, but I can't separate Mario from the company. My opinion of Nintendo has been poisoned with this and then my issues with Breath of the Wild, and I can't just support that in any part. Mit, Dustin, and everyone else can do just as good a job doing any other theme.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:54 am 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
but we want to make a fangame.

this is your answer. we aren't making this for profit. i think you're gonna be the only one here who has that opinion.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:06 am 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
P-Star7 wrote:
Who wants to make a fangame knowing that that is what they are thought of?

We do. Idk if the entire team feels exactly the way I do, but I don't give a flapping flicker what Nintendo's "parents" think about it. They aren't working on this game, so I see no reason why they should have a say in what we do. There is nothing ethically wrong with what we're doing here.

P-Star7 wrote:
Mario's parents are not asking for this, so I wouldn't want to give them this.

We're not giving them anything, we're giving you, and the rest of Mario Fan Games Galaxy, this game, for the fundamental purpose of making more Mario fan games exist.

Maybe some history will clear this up. The other day, VinnyVideo made a thread pointing out the declining amounts of Mario fangames here, and entreating us developers to think of a solution. This project was what we came up with. If we didn't make this a Mario fangame, well, then we'd be failing the purpose of making this game.

P-Star7 wrote:
I don't know about any of you guys, but I can't separate Mario from the company. My opinion of Nintendo has been poisoned with this and then my issues with Breath of the Wild, and I can't just support that in any part.

Most people see fangames and official games as separate entities. Their headcanons are certainly influenced by fancontent, especially when it comes to characterization, but as far as what Mario as a whole is, I don't think many other people have this issue. Moreover, if Mario fangames are "poisoning" your perception of Mario, then I think you issue is actually about the quality of fangames, not the fact that they are fangames.

P-Star7 wrote:
Mit, Dustin, and everyone else can do just as good a job doing any other theme.

I know they could, and I'm absolutely certain I could, but I don't want to. At the end of the day I'm going to make the game I feel like I'll be having fun making, and fangames are fun for me. They let me express my creativity with a world I love. Team projects always limit your control over a project to some degree (generally the larger the team, the less control you have), and this is a pretty large team for a fangame. However, the opportunity to work with these awesome people is enticing enough that I'd work on this project pretty much no matter what it was. Even if it wasn't a fangame, I guess.

So even though I'd prefer to make a fangame, I'd be fine making something non-Mario. However, earlier today considerations were made as to whether this should be Mario themed or not, and we collectively decided that it should be predominately Mario, so clearly the majority of the team wants to make a Mario fangame. You can posit all the reasons we shouldn't want to do this, and you can even substantiate them with logic and specific evidence, but at the end of the day

making a fangame is what we want to do.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:17 am 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Heck, I'd be interested in contributing to this, but I dunno how I'd help. I guess if you guys want some voice work? I do a pretty good Mario impression or can just do a general "announcer" type voice as well.

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:19 am 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Nintendo cannot stop us we are too strong.

We will make a video game with their 'Mario' and we will make it how we see fit.

I formally invite Miyamoto himself to come to my house and fight me.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 89 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic