Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next  [ 885 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Post new topic 
 [br]
 Post subject: Re: Site Talkback and Suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:44 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I just noticed we can't see users' badges and user title in their profile page. Why is this? We really should be able to see their badges at least while viewing their profiles.

Spoiler:

[cl]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:13 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I agree, plus there is no way to see any of these if you cant find their posts. However, I can see why it hasnt been done before. It requires coding because its not an official phpBB feature. But Im sure our Hylian hero can do something about it ;)

User page at mfgg.net

[gs]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:38 pm 
DJ Coco wrote:
I've never been fond of the idea of likes outside social media.

Why not? It's positive reinforcement for making a good post, plus it lets you know what kinds of posts people like to see a lot more effectively.

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:56 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

But Im sure our Hylian hero can do something about it ;)

On MFGG3!

Draku wrote:
DJ Coco wrote:

Why not? It's positive reinforcement for making a good post, plus it lets you know what kinds of posts people like to see a lot more effectively.

Also Coco I thought you were in favor of it? Lol I had you in my head as one of the guys who defended it. Maybe I'm just mistaking it for /5 reviews

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:31 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
What about posts with tags that can also be liked and disliked? Likeable and dis-likable tags are about improving our awareness of what kind of community we are and thus being better able to shift it towards our individual ideals. This would provide posters feedback on which ideas were specifically liked or disliked. Overtime, from your profile, you can see all of the tags or ideas which you posted about and how the community feels about them. Further, we would also be able to view the stats of the community as a whole. We would able to see how the entire community feels about certain ideas, our values and beliefs, and even our general interests. If the community's values don't fit the vision of some members, they'd know to do something about it and know whether what they're doing is working based on how the overall stats change. New users would be able to view the values of the community to see if they'd fit in and like it here.

For elaboration, support or counter arguments of ideas, you just follow the post and view the replies. You should also be able to search tags and opposing tags to find posts from yourself or the community (How do people feel about the Switch? -> Just search for the tag to find those posts or look at the stats to see how people feel about it)

Maybe readers could also add missing or overlooked tags to a post. People who frequently misuse this would no longer be able to do so or be limited in some way.

Of course tags would have to be moderated to avoid spam or incorrect tag usage. Members should also be able to report tags so mods don't have to actively check them. Though the poster shouldn't be punished if it was a mistake.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:27 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Draku wrote:
DJ Coco wrote:

If social media has taught me anything, it's that letting people "like" certain posts is not necessarily a good thing. Reddit is a very good example of this; many of its subreddits are echo chambers where people upvote content that they agree with and downvote anything else regardless of any warnings not to do so. The voting system as it is used discourages dissenting opinions, especially concerning touchy subjects such as politics. I've seen voting systems and karma in more traditional forums turn out poorly, as well. People giving out bad karma for poor reasons. People giving out bad karma as a response to bad karma.

At the very least, such a system on MFGG should have some way of holding voters accountable, as well as a way of disabling the privileges of those who abuse it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:33 pm 
I'll see you all at 3:15!
[*]
[*]
[*]
Plus, on some forums with Like systems, I've noticed that no matter what the moderation team wishes, it often encourages people to just leave as snippy/smartass a reply as possible to farm easy Likes, adding little to no constructive quality to a discussion.

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:41 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I wouldn't be surprised if that happened here, considering that several of us (including me) have been snarky before with varying levels of justifiability.

User page at mfgg.net

[gs]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:47 am 
Cap'n Coconuts wrote:
Reddit is a very good example of this; many of its subreddits are echo chambers where people upvote content that they agree with and downvote anything else regardless of any warnings not to do so.

Reddit's format is terrible and post visibility is based on upvotes and downvotes, so of course it winds up like that because if you don't post with the hivemind mentality no one will see it. Forums are not like that. A like button does not need a dislike counterpart, either.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:09 am 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
liking posts would reward the poster with currency that can be used for various things. it's multipurpose beyond just "What A Great Post", and like draku pointed out, doesn't work in the reddit way just because it wouldn't affect post visibility.

the thing you're not taking into account is that if you made a snarky post and someone called you out the person calling you out would get likes from people who agree with the sentiment. it's a two way street that basically balances itself out. some people like the snark, other people like when people shut it down.

[tr]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:15 am 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Do you guys realize that we are not going to have a dislike button? I thought we decided this a few months ago.

Also, I highly doubt that people at MFGG would like posts that are snarky as much as posts that are good. I wouldn't even worry about that.

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:39 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Does anyone over here know why do we have diamonds with arrows and a circle inside as the Special Competition badges? Wouldn't perhaps maybe Shine Sprites be more appropriate for those kind of competitions (the current badges used for Special Competitions seem a bit rather boring)?

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:12 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
When they were made, finding an appropriately suitable badge from the available Paper Mario badges likely wasn't easy given most of the good ones were already taken by other things.

Honestly with all the talk of redoing forum things, I'd be in favour of someone artistically minded redoing all the badges from scratch.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:26 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Kritter wrote:
When they were made, finding an appropriately suitable badge from the available Paper Mario badges likely wasn't easy given most of the good ones were already taken by other things.

Honestly with all the talk of redoing forum things, I'd be in favour of someone artistically minded redoing all the badges from scratch.

Yeah, I'd be in favor of this too. Make them SVG perhaps? Unless we wanna keep them pixel art.

Also: wow so are these badges Paper Mario rips?

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:05 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

The IPB badges were PM64 rips; most of the current badges are from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.

If we add a like/reaction system, I don't think there'll be a dislike button or other purely negative reaction. In some cases, dislike buttons provide some accountability for obvious trolls and troublemakers, but usually they end up creating more problems than they solve. If you don't like something, it's better to use a post to explain why you didn't like it.

Also, I removed "GORILLA!!!", the filtered word that has earned the most praise and the most criticism in the MFGG community. It was fun while it lasted.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:20 am 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
If we add a like/reaction system, I don't think there'll be a dislike button or other purely negative reaction. In some cases, dislike buttons provide some accountability for obvious trolls and troublemakers, but usually they end up creating more problems than they solve. If you don't like something, it's better to use a post to explain why you didn't like it.

i understand the concern for this but i don't think MFGG gets hit often enough for this to become a big enough issue, and even then i highly doubt something as trivial as a reactions system would be abused by those looking to start trouble. making a thread or a post is always the superior alternative in those cases, even if it's taken care of faster.

if anything the negative reactions would be able to cause more discussion, as asking "hey why did my post get a negative reaction" is enough to make a followup post.

that being said, it may or may not be a good idea to limit reactions to simple positive ones in an arts board. that i can get behind and understand, but in places like the GC, not so much.

also to echo an earlier suggestion i also agree that we should just have a full suggestions board. it'd make MFGG3 discussions for individual ideas way easier to follow and document.

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:03 am 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Dislike buttons encourage people who disagree with a post to just push that button and not ever address it, especially if that post expresses a seemingly unpopular opinion. This stifles any possible discussion over such a disagreement, and it also serves to polarize people (the people who agree with the post start thinking negatively of everyone who pushed the "dislike" button rather than stating a reasonable argument, and the people who disagree with the post start feeling like the number of dislikes proves the post to be wrong).

For this reason, I am strongly opposed to any sort of "dislike" or "-1" button anywhere.

"Like" buttons do the same thing, but in reverse, so they don't cause the same problem (encouragement posts don't tend to add to the discussion, they just bump the topic and flood it with cruft).

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:55 am 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
it is incredible how people interpret "negative reactions" or even reactions that aren't explicitly positive as an automatic dislike button.

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:09 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Having reactions without having negative reactions seems a tad silly. I think maybe we should have them?

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:38 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Mit wrote:
also to echo an earlier suggestion i also agree that we should just have a full suggestions board. it'd make MFGG3 discussions for individual ideas way easier to follow and document.
this

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next  [ 885 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Post new topic