[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]

MegaMan Sunrise is a MegaMan fangame based on the classic quintology on the Gameboy. The game features 8 brandnew robot masters, acting under the control of Trance, the first robot ever created to utilize the new AI technology researched by Dr. Light. Initially created by him too, she had been adapted by Dr. Wily to serve his evil purposes.

The game was made under the self-imposed challenge of finishing it within two months' time. Active production stopped about 1 week before time was up, whereas betatesting and the subsequent bug fixes didn't add to that time.

Controls (changed as of v1.1)
Z - Jump
X - Shoot
Arrow Keys - Move
Enter - Pause / Confirm / Skip Cutscene

Screenshots
Spoiler:

YouTube Playlist

>> Download v1.1 for Windows (MediaFire, .zip, 14.18MB) <<
>> Download v1.1 for Android (MediaFire, .apk, 22.5MB) <<

Changelog v1.1
Spoiler:

Blutorus handled all of the betatesting, so if you encounter anything out of the ordinary, you may stone him.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
 Post subject: Re: MegaMan Sunrise
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:14 am 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Oh, neat! I've been looking forward to this project for quite some time now, I'll download it right away and let you know what I think shortly after!

EDIT: After playing the game for about half an hour, I can say that the game is really solid programming-wise. I didn't discover any bugs, and the movement is smooth and never threw me off. I did notice that Mega Man could not side step or jump out of his slide, but that wasn't game-breaking or anything.
In terms of design, however, it's a completely different story. I was not particularly impressed by a lot of design choices. I'll do my best to explain them the best I can.
  • Stage gimmicks, and especially the lack of them. The Robot Master stages only appeared to have two gimmicks in total, and both of them were taken from the original games with no alterations and no new interesting level design concepts for them. The only real challenge in the stages came from enemies and precise insta-death jumps. Mega Man is a series that heavily relies on gimmicks, and this game falls very short in that regard.
  • Enemies have invincibility frames. I'm not talking about short invincibility frames like in MM5 either, they seem to last as long as the bosses' invincibility frames. This makes enemies that were easy to handle in official titles a total pain, since they take at least 3 times as long to destroy. And it's not like the game is designed around this, either: the stages like to throw a lot of enemies at you at once (with some occasional cheap placement too). Enemies are simply not fun to fight here, and I found myself damage boosting a lot just to get them over with.
  • Insta-death sections. Normally, Mega Man levels only have a few insta-death sections, that are either not too difficult or they allow multiple solutions for approaching them (with some examples like the Quick Lasers, but these situations are often regarded as design flaws). This game has an insta-death obstacle in just about every screen, and almost all of them require precise timing and/or positioning, and only allow the player to approach it in the way the game intends them to, unlike precise insta-death sections in the originals. I found myself dying a lot to these sections, and it was incredibly frustrating. It even lead to me taking a 5-minute break from the game just to have something else on my mind rather than dying every few minutes. Plus, a lot of spikes are in cheap positions, too; for example, at one point in Scorch Man's stage, I jumped off the ladder to go to the next section (this is something a lot of Mega Man players do, because it's faster and the original games allowed you to do so safely), but was greeted with a spike right below me in the next section.
  • E-Tank and M-Tank placement. All of them (at least so far) could be reached by merely using the Rush Coil or Jet. Almost all of them were in plain sight too, with the exception being an M-Tank in Valve Man's stage, which had a pretty clever location. Plus, these tanks respawn when you die, so farming becomes really easy and overpowered.
  • Some sections were just really confusing to pass through. I still don't know how to get past the Popo Heli enemies in Scorch Man's stage (I imagine you have to jump over them during the cooldown of their fire attack, but that cooldown is way too short to effectively make use of it). There were also some spike sections (most notably sections with spikes on low ceilings) that I simply could not pass without Rush Jet, so if I were to run out of ammo of that, I'd be screwed (there is probably a way to get past these without Rush, but it's not exactly clear or intuitive).

That just about covers most of my problems with this game. Don't get me wrong, it's still a decent game, but it has a lot of flaws that ruin the experience for me.

Also, here's a tip: if you post a topic about this game on the Sprites Inc. forums (http://sprites-inc.co.uk/forum.php) you'll probably get a lot more feedback than here on MFGG. Sprites Inc. is a Mega Man forum that became more of a Mega Man fangaming forum than anything, so you'll definitely be able to get some useful feedback and/or criticism there.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:41 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Yeah, I went overboard with the instakill obstacles because I felt like being a dick I guess. All stages are beatable without any special weapons, though.

I forgot that enemies didn't have invincibility frames in the original MegaMan games when I programmed the first few enemies, which is why I struggled a bit with giving the enemies the right amount of HP. Later on, I guess I just was too lazy to change it. I could patch it in an update at some point if that ever happens.

There's only so much I could do in terms of stage gimmicks when using official sprites. Tbh, I also wasn't really in the mood in creating unique stages, as this project was merely a little side project 'cause I got a bit tired of solely working on Cliax.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:12 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Neat, I gotta check this out when I get home!

Can you turn off the filter?

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:24 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Yeah, filter's optional

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:52 pm 
I hate yellow balls of consumption.
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
DJ Coco wrote:
Blutorus handled all of the betatesting, so if you encounter anything out of the ordinary, you may stone him.

I never signed up for this!

But yes, I had the honor of playtesting this game beforehand, so blame things on me (and partly on DJ Coco for not programming correctly) if you run into any bugs. It's a pretty good game, so I'd recommend giving it a whirl.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:39 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I played a bit of each of the first four levels. As a Mega Man vet I was kind of excited for this but it ended up not being very good. Its just not a faithful portable Mega Man experience. The enemies feel like they're way too fast for the player to deal with. In the GB Mega Man games, both Mega Man and the enemies move slower since the game is only 30FPS (maybe less I forget). While its a slower experience, it really makes the tiny resolution game play more tolerable. In Sunrise, it just feels like NES Mega Man is trapped in a small box.

A lot of the level design is p janky. Enemies are popping out of the side of the screen (valve man), immediately attacking or I'm falling directly into enemies from the screen above (circuit man). The precision required is above and beyond the expectations set in actual Mega Man games.

My issues in a nutshell:
-Press 'start' on the title screen is misleading, try 'Enter' or 'Z' to pull the player to the ZX/arrow control scheme.
-The game moves way too fast for such a tiny resolution. Very little room to move around or improvise.
-Common tactic is to begin firing as soon as you enter room to defeat enemy approaching.
-Fast transitions give little time to size-up the room.
-Hammer Joe is a slow enemy to fight and its a pain to have to face him over and over. He's rare in Mega Man III.
-No custom controls. I really hate ZX being flipped, but this would absolutely be a non-issue if I could just pick my own buttons.
-You should be able to jump out of the slide.

In conclusion, I'm disappointed. There's not a lot of good Mega Man fangames out there so I was p hyped. It looked pretty ok. Sad to see that it suffers from a lot of beginner mistakes I see in Mega Man fangames (enemy placement, shielded enemy abuse, tanky enemies, lackluster port of the mechanics). It pains me that these are the kinds of things that you think of when you think of Mega Man.

I don't know why I keep playing these. It seems to be the trend that I tear into every game you make. You're hearts clearly not into it. Your attitude always seems to be something like "I rushed it at the end" or "Tbh, I also wasn't really in the mood in creating unique stages". I will never understand this mindset. I understand that not everyone is perfect, I heck things up in my own games all the time, but at least I strive to improve and it shows. You've been repeating many of the same errors I've seen since PM3DL.

I think this will be the last game of yours I play. I'm sorry.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:51 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Syaxamaphone wrote:
You're hearts clearly not into it. Your attitude always seems to be something like "I rushed it at the end" or "Tbh, I also wasn't really in the mood in creating unique stages". I will never understand this mindset. I understand that not everyone is perfect, I heck things up in my own games all the time, but at least I strive to improve and it shows.

I was going to make a note of this but DJ Coco dislikes me enough already :whoops:

As someone who ISN'T much of a Mega Man vet, I plan to give this a go and maybe give some thoughts from a casual Mega Man player's point of view but I doubt I'll find much to offer that hasn't been said.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:23 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Well, I gotta say I agree with the majority of points mentioned.

It's true I didn't put my heart and soul into the game - the reason for this is mainly that this project merely served as a distraction of Cliax for me. I needed a break, and I've been playing a lot of MegaMan at the time, so I decided to just make this little thing for fun. I didn't want to get too involved in it, which is also the reason why I imposed a time limit to myself. I never intended for this to stir up particularly much hype, because this never had the ambition to be like Unlimited or other fangames, with all unique ideas and stuff - it was merely a little project to work on without too much commitment.

I've been told that that's an excuse to dodge criticism, but I disagree with that. I am not dismissing the criticism - it's perfectly valid, and I agree with it for the most part. I merely want to state why I never addressed these issues, and likely also won't in the future - the reason being that this wasn't meant to be this cool new MegaMan fangame, or practice for myself to improve, because it was neither. I've been told neither me nor the players benefit from releasing a subpar product, and that's true - but neither was ever the point of this game.

Anywho, I will also say that the actual point this game framed wasn't quite met either. I was intended to be a break from all the work on Cliax, but the time constraint put a lot of stress on me - much more than Cliax, even. With several people looking forward to it, I also felt commited to releasing a game that's not entirely subpar, which was clashing with the concept of just making a fun mini project for myself and a few people to enjoy.

With all this said, I think I'll retire from fangaming and "just for fun projects" for now and focus on the four main games of mine, to which I can indeed devote my heart and soul.
I apologize to all of you who thought this was going to be MegaMan Unlimited if it were for the Gameboy, or something similar. Please see the game as what it is - this doesn't meant you should look past all its flaws. Your criticism is still welcome and not neglected. It merely means that this isn't representative of my learning curve, or my general attitude when it comes to developing games.

Also, Kritter, I don't dislike you, though I always had a bit of the impression it was the case vice-versa. Let's all get along, mkay?

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:37 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

this is a really good fangame, i was antsy about playing it since i didnt really like pm3dl or sonic hexacide but this ones not bad at all. the gameplay, presentation, sound editing etc. are all much improved. ive played up to the 5th boss, as someone whos played a lot of nes megaman this game is notably difficult but the challenge to powerup ratio is done pretty well.

a few complaints, some of the enemies are huge damage sponges like the monkeys and sniper joes, theyre pretty much made trivially easy once the circuit breaker is obtained so no big deal. another minor thing is that some of the enemies seem unfitting, was weird seeing topman's minions in the water level. the bosses also have a little too much hp it would seem. i also didnt like the fire level, it seems like every one of the worst megaman cliches one after another (also the sound of the fire dropping vats continues after you die)

but overall im enjoying it a lot, the new graphics and music are good and play control is pretty tight, the weapons are fun to use as well.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:48 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Upon popular request, MegaMan Sunrise has undergone some changes. v1.1 is now available for download. For a detailed list of everything that changed, see the changelog below or in the OP.

Changelog v1.1
Spoiler:

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:52 am 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
But did you fix the physics in mid-air when you get hit???

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:22 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Vertette wrote:
No, and that won't happen either. Mid-air physics cause nothing but frustration because you're much more likely to die from pits.

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:03 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
DJ Coco wrote:
  • Key Configuration for keyboard has been added

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:28 pm 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I've got to say, despite the update not having major changes, the game is much more fun to play now. Defeating enemies actually feels rewarding now, rather than a chore. The level design, while still not great, is at least less frustrating now, which is awesome. Good job on the update!

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:31 pm 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
DJ Coco wrote:
Vertette wrote:
No, and that won't happen either. Mid-air physics cause nothing but frustration because you're much more likely to die from pits.

kek

well the game is playable now so that's a bonus

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:11 am 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
https://picarto.tv/syaxamaphone Gonna stream the game in a few minutes. Drop by and see the game first hand!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:50 am 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Syaxamaphone wrote:
https://picarto.tv/syaxamaphone Gonna stream the game in a few minutes. Drop by and see the game first hand!

Your voice was not what I expected.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:59 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Oh, I missed the stream.
Is it archived anywhere?

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:17 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
It absolutely is!

I ended up only getting through the first half of the game. The game has a lot I think it could do better, but in the end I did have fun with it.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 27 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic