Forum rules

NOTE: This forum is for discussion of the Midas Machine MFGG Project ONLY.

DO NOT POST if it is not relevant to "Midas Machine."

[ 3 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [at]
 Post subject: SVN Repository
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:14 pm 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
The Midas Project uses SVN for simple managing and updating of our resources.
If the following information sounds complicated to you, don't worry: SVN is easy to pick up and to use, once you've seen it in action the first time.
Please read this, and ask questions after reading.

What is SVN?
In short: SVN stands for Subversion and is a Version Control system.
What benefits it will bring to the project:
- ENGINEERS, MUSICIANS, TESTERS: You have a MidasMachine Engine directory on your computer, and with a right-click you can update to the latest version. Automatically adds all the new music and files you need. If you are a musician, you can replace dummy music with actual music (which will come into effect later when there are going to be many differently themed levels), or improve the current version of the music.

- SPRITERS: You have a MidasMachine Graphics directory on your computer, and with a right-click you can update and have all the latest sprite and tile sheets at hand. At the same time, if you change a sprite sheet or add a new one, with a right-click your new stuff gets added to the online repository for team members to see.

- Versioning will be taken care of automatically: If you ruin a spritesheet or if somebody messes up with the engine and doesn't remember how to fix: Backups of different versions are kept in the repository.

What do I need to do to get SVN?
(In case you do not have it yet!)
1) Download an SVN Client, for example Tortoise SVN.
Tortoise SVN is the only client I offer help with, so I recommend downloading this one. If you already have one, you already know how it works anyway so yeah.

The following steps are about TortoiseSVN, other clients may work differently:

2) Install Tortoise SVN (either the 32 bit or 64 bit version, depending on what OS you have).
All you need to do is to press "Next" until it's installed.
Then reboot your computer (TortoiseSVN asks you to do that anyway, so just say "yes, restart" when it asks)

3) After reboot, TortoiseSVN will be integrated in your Windows Explorer context menu (right-click menu).
Congratulations, you now have TortoiseSVN installed!

How do I get access to the MidasMachine repositories?
You need an account at Assembla in order to be added as a member (or watcher) to the repositories. If you plan on becoming a member or watcher, then you must register an account there (top right of the page is a link "register").

You also need to be an active team member of the team, so if you just want to see what we do: No SVN access for you, sorry. You must provide some sprites, music, or be otherwise involved with Midas. The most simple way to get in is to take part in a meeting or to talk to Chaoxys or me (preferably me if it's not about sprites, since I manage the SVN access).

Next thing you do is to contact ME (preferably over instant messenger) and tell me your username on Assembla. Provided you fulfill the above specifications I will most likely add you as a member (if your position in the team requires changing the files) or as a watcher (where you can not modify anything, e.g. as a tester).
In the process of giving you access, I will also explain to you how SVN works.
The below instructions are mostly here so you can refresh your memory.

Ok, I have an account, now what?
For each repository you're member of, create a new folder somewhere on your hard drive. Typically, you will be part of two repositories: Engine and Graphics. So you need two empty folders. You can call them what you want and you can put them where you want, but I recommend calling one MidasMachineEngineSVN and one MidasMachineGraphicsSVN or something similar, and to put them somewhere where it makes sense, probably among your other MidasMachine stuff (which you should have if you are involved in the this project).

Now for each folder follow these steps:
- Install an SVN Client (as described above). TortoiseSVN will be used in this guide:
- Enter the folder.
- Right-click into the EMPTY folder (there are no files inside yet) and click on "SVN Checkout...".
- A window should pop up, asking you for a couple of things.
- One of them is called "URL of Repository" (which is the first one).
- In this field enter the repository URL (the URLs are listed below).
- Click OK.
- Enter your Assembla username and password.
- Click OK.
- Watch the magic, as your folder fills up with all the stuff from the repository (the first download might take some time, you are downloading everything at once).
- When a new update happens, just right-click into the folder again and click "SVN Checkout..." again, and your folder gets automatically updated to the latest version. Broken or missing files will be automatically restored.

Nice, how do I add my changes to the repository?
- Things you have changed since the last update will be marked with a red exclamation mark icon, so you know which files you have changed and which not (Files that represent the latest SVN checkout have green check marks)
- When you have such files and want the repository to receive your updates, just right-click into the folder and select "Commit".
- In the window that pops up, select the files you want to commit. (Files that are already in the repository should automatically be marked, so for new files you just add a check, and for files you wish to delete, you remove the check).
- If SVN throws an error: Don't panic, it happens and has a good reason most of the time! When in doubt, leave everything as is and contact me, or attempt to fix it yourself. You can only damage your own files, but not earlier versions of the project.

Repository URLs
Code:
Engine/Music/Testers: https://subversion.assembla.com/svn/MidasMachine
Graphics: https://subversion.assembla.com/svn/MidasMachineGraphics

Further reading:
Wikipedia entry on Subversion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Subversion
Tutorial video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yola1Q9KEQ

If you have questions or suggestions, post ITT.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: SVN Repository
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:26 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Alright, I'm just curious, whats with those new files in the graphics folder that MistaBird uploaded? I mean theres no comments with them and they don't seem to have any graphics with them. (I figured this would be the right topic to ask this since it relates to the SVN).

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
 Post subject: Re: SVN Repository
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:01 am 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^Whatever that was, I reverted his revision and it's gone now. Definitely nothing that we need on the repository...
Looks like it was generated from his subversion tool or something.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 3 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked