Forum rules

NOTE: This forum is for discussion of the Midas Machine MFGG Project ONLY.

DO NOT POST if it is not relevant to "Midas Machine."

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 91 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [us]
 Post subject: Design topic
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:45 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I know we have the idea topic, but this one is more for direct design ideas. This goes for characters OR levels. Thats right, have an idea for a level, maybe an interesting puzzle for a ghost house or a fun way to use enemies, or maybe just a simple theme, then draw it up and lets see.

To kick things off, do you guys remember the ghost world boss from a while back? Tall gray bland... thing? The idea was to make it a general creepy thing standing in the corner looking at you. At first I enjoyed the idea but now I don't know. It just doesn't looks fitting for a Mario game, so now I went for a more traditional ghost look. I went for a more noble design, and trust me, it's rather fitting for the location.

(Tall gray guy is the old one, phantom is the new one)

Don't worry, the design looks a bit odd, but I'll probably tweak it a bit, but honestly for what I have planned, this design should work (and trust me, it'll be good.)

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
 Post subject: Re: Design topic
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:05 am 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Good topic idea. While the idea pool is just for throwing in whatever goes through people's minds, this is for more in-depth discussion of those ideas that are worked on atm.
Might as well add the rule that you *need* an image in order to make a valid post. (Comments excluded of course)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:52 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Two ideas.

Volectro (Volt-Jelectro) My idea for the one of the minibosses in world 5. You fight it while clinging onto a grate in a construction site in the harbor (like the setting for the Ricco Harbor in SMS). He basically sends electricity at you and tries to smack you with his tentacles.

My second idea is a bit more complex in terms of explaining. The boss of world 3, the guy in the first post, my idea is that after 3 hits, he fakes his own death, you grab the hand piece and it all looks good, but then the music stops, and you notice a suit of armor that was in the BG is missing (my idea is that when you get a piece of the hand, it zooms in on the payer and they strike a pose, the armor will disappear while this happens.)

The armor, with the bosses cape/hair will fall from the ceiling to continue the fight, but first it will suck the player into a painting (this is referencing how ghosts posses things, in this case the armor, and how King Boo trapped mario in the painting.)

The actual concept for this is simple. When in control of the painting, you can "walk", jump (not high), duck (you lay flat on the ground), and turn super thin. You can't run, climb, ect, and all characters will control the same while in this form. The armor has 2 attacks, but while in the painting, you can't fight back very well.

Attack 1- Launches fireballs into the air. They come down in a way that mimics the fire falling during the final boss fight in SMW. While in Painting form, you have to go think to avoid it since you won't be fast enough to dodge it/can't jump well enough.

Attack 2- He hovers a bit off the ground and rams at you with his sword pointed forward. All you have to do is duck to avoid him (there may be some delay with the ducking since you'd have to first fall over, so it would be more than 1 frame). If you dodge him, he will get his sword stuck in the wall and try to pull it out, while pulling, you will see his real form exposed on the back, if you jump on/at it, it will free the player from the paint.

After you are free, you continue to dodge the attacks (although now you have to dodge them differently, for example, you must jump over him when he rams at you, not duck) until he gets his sword stuck again, this time when you jump on him, it will hurt (human body vs. painting, which is heavier?). After that he puts you back in the painting and it goes again.

User page at mfgg.net

[ph]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:22 am 
A fox with class
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Quick question: Are we also allowed to post pictures that can be in the game(like character designs) aside from you guys? And what are the worlds or what kinds of enemies need designs anyway? Sorry if this is not a valid post but, um, I need to be sure. Please delete/ignore when answered.

Minus World Secret Santa Gifts: 2011- Dane
MFGG Secret Santa Gifts: 2012- McKnackus I ~ 2015-LuNiney ~ 2016-Mors 1 2

Refs drawn/sprited by other MFGG Members:
Doc ~ DragezeeY ~ Friendly Dictator ~ Mit ~ Wiwa

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:45 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Anyone can post ideas. As far as what kinds of enemies are needed, you can make anything since we will most likely find a place for it, provided we use it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:49 pm 
Of Questionable Relevance
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I'm in the process of making my sketches of the level I suggested in the planning thread more presentable. Without showing everything before I finish, this was one of my ideas for an enemy specific to that level.

Cruisin' Chuck?

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:07 pm 
This old dog still knows a few tricks
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
What up dudeskis. I just wandered back thanks to Chaoxys asking me to do a design for the ghost world boss. Here he is.

I also threw in some furniture designs at request.

User page at mfgg.net

[fi]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:36 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Very nice! Reminds me of the phantoms from Zelda Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks :)

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:36 am 
I could think of new monsters for the game. I would have to make concept arts to show what they look like.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:06 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Alright, I guess I can share these now:

I wanted to create an city level, something like Big Ape City from Donkey Kong Land, or tracks like Mushroom City in Mario Kart. The idea settled on was that this would be a sort of urban slum where Bowser's goons were living and a place that could've been nice had they taken better care of it.

Chaoxys suggested setting it near water to tie it in with another level, hence the background looking vaguely like New York harbor. If it helps, think of Rougeport or Dinohatten from the Super Mario Bros. movie with less gritty sci-fi involved.

They may not be as ambitious as the art (I really like background gags), but I'd be willing to make the necessary level tiles myself.

A couple ideas for level-exclusive enemies to add to Cruisin' Chuck from my last post. The Lakitu would pop out of windows that almost look like part of the background and throw things at the player characters (probably not Spinies in this case to avoid level clutter).

The Goomba I didn't really have a defined idea for. I just thought it was funny.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:31 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Said it before and I'll say it again, I want to use this idea or something like it, it's just going to be an issue to fit it in, but if you can fit it into a seaside harbor location, then I know just where it can go.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:42 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I would think putting water in a prominent part of the background (possibly foreground) could pull that off. I was mainly picturing something like New York Harbor (essentially,a line of skyscrapers and large, flat ocean that meet at the horizon line), though I don't know if that meshes with your ideas for the look of that area.

Best idea might be to wait for the harbor area concept to develop more, then start adjusting the look of the city concurrently.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:38 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
The problem is that the harbor is probably going to be a bit like a combination of Toad Town harbor and Ricco Harbor, so things like Chucks in cars would be way out of place.

Idk, we may just have to save it for later. If nothing else it could show up in the special world.

EDIT- Oh, you know what, I just thought of a place it may be able to work actually.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:33 am 
This old dog still knows a few tricks
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Grey, you're a genius.

From now on I'm calling you Idea Guy Grey...ok not really.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:34 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Agreed, that's a pretty awesome idea. I could totally work with it and I'd love to see something like that implemented in-game.

Plus in making it the anti-Toad Town, I can use Episode 1 as frame of reference: pull some familiar elements from that level while subverting others.

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:59 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]

Seedy Piranha boss?

User page at mfgg.net

[fi]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:02 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Aaawww... that's adorable.

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:55 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Alright, working on the new hud.

Added the border to keep things from blending in with the scenery, granted, we'd need to add some AA to the health display. Keep in mind this is a 10 second wip I threw together. I figure with this it's clean, simple and it flat out easier on the eyes than the old one.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:58 am 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Chaoxys wrote:
Alright, working on the new hud.

Added the border to keep things from blending in with the scenery, granted, we'd need to add some AA to the health display. Keep in mind this is a 10 second wip I threw together. I figure with this it's clean, simple and it flat out easier on the eyes than the old one.

TBH not a fan of it. It takes away a whole block height of the screen. The reason why we're removing the old HUD is because it was too big, now this one is even bigger.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:43 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I thought the problem with the old one was that it was awkwardly designed which made it hard to tell what was what.

Well, if anyone has any ideas as to what would work better, tell me.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 91 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked