Forum rules

NOTE: This forum is for discussion of the Midas Machine MFGG Project ONLY.

DO NOT POST if it is not relevant to "Midas Machine."

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 109 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [at]
 Post subject: Re: Bug/Glitch reports
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:18 am 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^Which legit hate of new developments?

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:02 am 
in the 3rd level I grabbed 2 mushrooms the red coin one and the one under the bridge but on the map screen it only shows on of them :/

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:40 pm 
Lord of the Realm
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Guinea wrote:
^Which legit hate of new developments?

Well, I won't go into incredible detail, but there were two main new things that bugged the ever-living cr*p out of me:

1) Sand Geysers: Jumping off these things is unbelievably hard. It took me WAY too much effort to make the right jump most times and even after I got the timing better I could still fail in making my jumps. Heck, I even just took damage sometime because it saved me more time than it would've just to jump over an enemy. I wouldn't have had such a hate for these things, except you used them a TON throughout the second world. The Pyramid level especially made you take it in the *ss with those amazingly placed spiny eggs, giving you little-to-no room to even land beside them, let alone get your jump timed right enough so you could make it over them. Opening the window for when you can jump off these things would be AMAZING, considering how hard it is now.

2) Level Design (Only at some points): The levels, for the most parts, are pretty clean and fine. However, there are some stages (Even in world 1) where it's just crowded with enemies/hazards. Even worse is when you've placed enemies in amongst levels segments where they'd be just perfectly annoying (EXP: The Volcano Plants in the Pyramid section. That's the first time you even see them and you put them in a place like that? How about even the first Boomerang Bro you see, which is in the Wario Train stage and it's NOT KILLABLE. Those particularly weren't hard, but have mercy when it's a NEW enemy especially >_>'). I'm not saying making the game's hard is a BAD thing, but this is the first 2 chapters/worlds of the game. If you're putting 8 in there, be more forgiving so the difficulty can be gradual, because if you only plan on making it even harder after then, you might end up just plain annoying players.

Beyond that, being able to play as Wario and Waluigi was a GREAT breath of fresh air. However, this is mainly in due to an old gripe I've had with the game since the beginning:

3) Controls: I have to fight these things nearly ALL the time. Simple level traversing is fine, but when it comes to precision movements/jumping/landing, it becomes a royal pain. Mario and Luigi have even LESS control than they do in normal Mario games, sliding and floating around as if they're refusing to listen to my commands. This become even more prevalent when in water, as I can barely get moving or stop moving. Also, whenever I take damage, I fly half a mile away from where I was (underwater), which is honestly annoying (Especially within hazard filled levels).

The Wario Bros actually have some of the best controls, even in spite of the Mario bros. Wario is slower and, therefore, easier to control, and Waluigi has the best acceleration, making him easier to control too. However, Wario's charge and run button being made the SAME button has back-fired in many cases, making me run off or into things I didn't intend. His charge move should really be only activated in context to another key, like maybe the movement key (If it isn't already). That way, the player can simply activate him running without needing to charge first, if they choose to.

Waluigi worked pretty d*mn nice. His controls were by far the best for me, but I swear to god, make it easier for him to go up a vertical pipe with. When you press up and he goes super-skinny, that prevents you from going up the pipe. Instead, you gotta time it perfectly so you only press up right when you're within range of the pipe, or it doesn't work (at least, not in the same regards as the other characters, which was far easier). This is a really simple thing to correct for, that would otherwise be my current favourite character.

Anyway, I could go on with less trivial matters (Nit-picks >_>'), but those were the biggest issues I had with the game so far. Beyond that, and even in spite of them, I still really enjoyed the game/demo (especially over the first). It's great to have some new/original content and the graphics have remained appealing or improved in some sections. The music too (especially for that bloody map screen) appears to have improved as well.

You want a general idea of what I thought in terms of scores?
Gameplay: 7/10
Graphics: 8.5/10
Sound/Music: 7.5/10
Replay: 6.5/10
Overall: 7.3/10 (Hey, right where I said it would be ^_^)

If those areas can be improved, let me know. If not, just the same. I'd rather be made aware to watch for those improves come the next demo then, so I can clarify with you if they've been adjusted for enough to make a difference.

Otherwise... Yeah.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:31 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
@lordgavin: about the geysers, are you aware that you can hold the jump button continuo7sly to keep jumping out/on them? If not, that may make it a little easier for ya. Just a thought.

Anyway, I agree with a majority of the things you mentioned, especially the level design and even moreso the knockback and traction. :3

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:33 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
@1: It's not that hard to jump off the sand geysirs, as they work the same as springs and mushroom platforms. You just need to have the jump key held down and you jump when you land, otherwise you bounce. You probably tried to press jump the moment you landed, and that's not the intended control method for these.

@2: I do agree with some of the level design things you pointed out. A few hazards are just thrown in randomly without really introducing them to the player first, especially that boomerang bro in the train level I agree with. The boomerang bros overall need a bit of toning down as the range of their boomerangs is way too high.

@3: Mario's controls are still a bit loose, I guess, especially when compared to the official Mario games. I have tweaked them between the old demo and the new, and I can still try to improve them.

But then again, when you were playing as Wario and Waluigi and you liked their controls, you came across exactly the point of the 4 playable characters: pick the one you feel most comfortable with.
I also agree with the knockback, which also needs to be toned down a little, especially so under water. The under water controls can generally be improved for the Mario Bros.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:33 pm 
Lord of the Realm
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Wiiboy4ever wrote:
@lordgavin: about the geysers, are you aware that you can hold the jump button continuo7sly to keep jumping out/on them? If not, that may make it a little easier for ya. Just a thought.

... Well... Now I feel like a dumbass... If that's really the case, then I guess that's not a problem at all... ^_^'

To Guinea: Aye, just see what you can do on those other account then, if you're willing to. Improving those would certainly help out. Good luck in the rest of the game. Should be fun seeing where it goes from there.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:37 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Yeah. the Boomerang Bro was added based on an idea I had in a later level that didn't work out. I ended up adding it into the train without much through, although changing that section wouldn't be an issue. As for the Lava Lotus, I'm pretty sure they show up in other levels, so no, that isn't the first time they show up (Lakitu level, Dune Bud level). Either way I can probably remove one of them on the climbing section.

As for the levels where theres too many enemies, I'll need more to go off of than that.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:48 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I've never had trouble controlling Mario. Waluigi is the one that slides all over the place.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:54 pm 
Lord of the Realm
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
To Chaoxys:

Aye, I obviously don't know the full content of the game (though I think now I've unlocked all/most it in the demo). If that's the case, then sure. I can't name specific levels off the top of my head right now, but if you don't want to change that, then perhaps you should just consider planting more power-ups (IE: Fire Flowers, stars, and Plant-whatcha-ma-call-its) in the first few worlds. Typical with Mario games, the earlier stages grant you plenty to work with and regain over the later stages, which could at least grant more for the player to utilize should a denser-hazard level arise early on.

Also, I never once found an invisible block in the game (I don't even know if they exist). If they do, making it more obvious where they are early on would be nice and, if they aren't, put em in. I mean, why not? We all enjoy little surprises like those.

To Elyk:

Well, all I can assume is one of two things:

First, it's like Guinea says and that "Everyone's different" as simply takes a liking to different players. I do recognize that Waluigi is supposed to slide around the most over any other characters, and he does slide. However, I just find him (aside Wario) easiest to control.

Secondarily, you are one that helps demo/test this game, correct? I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and guess that, in testing, you've only had access to the Wario bros for a shorter period of time than the Mario bros. If that's true, than the reason you probably like them most is because you've played as them the longest and are most accustomed to their stats and controls. In that, I haven't played this game much at all, so in a fair sense, me finding the Wario bros better at controls over the Mario bros shouldn't be completely unheard of then. Odd, but no unheard of, I mean.

I donno, maybe I'm just more accustom to the NES and Wii/3DS Mario games. In those ones, there's normally a great deal less sliding involved in general than with this game. Heck, when it comes to my own platformers, I make acceleration and friction controls based on the Megaman games (Since I never use run buttons either). I've found good reactions from that sense in the past and personally enjoy it myself. I guess, in a similar regard, I've been overly exposed to games that don't involve sliding like this game (I don't play Megaman, just that more rigid idea, I mean). If anything can be done there, that's fine in my books, but if support on the matter isn't prevalent enough, then there's no need to change it. However, my understanding show there's a number of people that think the game's quite slippery in general. Should it get re-tightened, I find that wouldn't be a horrible choice, at least.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:48 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Sorry about the lateness of this post. I hope this is the right topic to post this stuff in, as many of these issues aren't glitches per se.

First things first: That game was a blast. Great level design, nice variety of level environments, top-notch graphics, and four unique characters, each with their own distinctive playing styles. And it sure felt special whenever I heard a few song I'd arranged myself.

A few suggestions:
  • I saw a bunch of typos, mostly in the first chapter (like "safetly" on the Ed Vice sign in the Rain Forest).
  • Skidding while walking underwater feels unnatural.
  • Players should move faster while moving through warp pipes.
  • Some of the level names, such as "Rain Forest" and "Desert," could use some spicing up.
  • It would make more sense if you displayed the game name or the name of the present level in the taskbar instead of the internal room name.
  • I'm aware you can speed up a block of text, but adjustable text speeds would be an excellent addition.
  • It would be nice if a sound played when the MFGG logo appears and when you score a hit against the Syrup boss.
  • In the credits, you forget that Pucifur and Tobie are the same person.

Keyp up the good work!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:58 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Rain Forest was Guinea's name. I think the joke is that a rain forest is generally tropical where as this is a literal forest, and it's raining (I think my original name for it was "Rainy Forest". Not much different though). As for Desert, most of the world 2 levels don't have names yet.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:06 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I went through and fixed all of the typos in the first world but because I didn't do it properly pretty much all my work was lost. Motivation was gone after that so I just left it.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:10 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Thanks for the C+C Vinny.

The captions are left in from some old debug thing I did when I wrote that system and I happened to never pay attention to it when testing, so I forgot to take it out.

Level names are WIP, they will be updated over time.

Underwater physics need some major changes indeed, especially of the Mario Bros.

I'll look into making the text speed adjustable through the settings menu.

Warp pipe speeds could also increase I guess.

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:13 pm 
VinnyVideo wrote:
[*]Players should move faster while moving through warp pipes.

It also causes a bunch of lag when you go through one on a bit of an old computer most of the cutscenes caused loads of lag.

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:31 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^There is for some reason a memory leak when cutscenes play. I could not figure out the reason for this yet, but I hope I do and I think it has something to do with the way I handle cutscenes, as cutscenes are basically executed text.

User page at mfgg.net

[sc]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:12 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I was playing through parts of this game again and noticed a few things:
-I still think that the characters are a bit too slippery to control.
-When I go into the purple pipe in the sewer level in the first world (the one where there are 3 paths) I came out of the black one instead of the purple one.
-I found that knockback from getting hit was way too much. On a level with lots of little platforms over pits, such as mushroom platforms, if I got hit, I was pretty much guaranteed to fly off the edge and die.
-Wario charging paratroopas got annoying. Since they don't get knocked back and they turn into a regular koopa (not the shell), I pretty much have to charge again right away after I hit them or I get hurt.
-There was one level in the first world, I forget which one it was now but it was the first one with that fruit guy that allows you to glide, where there's a mushroom under a ledge. I didn't collect it, then I died and when I passed by it again, it was that purple-y colour that indicated that I collected it.

If that last one was too hard to follow, I can take a screenshot to indicate the mushroom in question.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:32 pm 
D:
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Strongly agree with the knockback. I think I died like 15 times the first time I played the mushroom level. As for, Wario vs the Paratroopas, I think either the Paratroopas should be knocked back horizontally (which makes a lot more sense), or they should go straight to a koopa shell (makes less sense because the Law of the Conservation of Momentum is still brutalized)

User page at mfgg.net

[jp]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:03 pm 
Yeah, I don't Even...
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I've found a bug, if you use warios drag hat in mid air and then fall into water it still keeps going, even though you normally can't use it in water.
I wasn't able to get a screenshot of this but luigi's fireball sometimes gets stuck in thewall, I noticed it in the ocean/lake underwater level in world 1.

Edit: Instead of double posting I'll just edit the post.

This seems to happen whenever I go into the water while carrying an enemy.

I also found that if you charge with wario and hold the button used to hold objects and wario collides with a water block it'll show it hovering above his head until the charge ends. I'll nab a screenshot of it, if needed.

User page at mfgg.net

[jp]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:24 pm 
Yeah, I don't Even...
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I found a cuple more bugs, the frst one is when you exit a room with a invincible star active the invincible theme'll keep playing till you die or goto the map(found this in the Level in Area 2 that's called desert.

Edit: I Also found a glitch in the waluigi only section, for some reason the super thin ability sometimes bugs out and waluigi starts to duck and it's a pain in the super thin traction jump part, he exen croaches when he's walking and standing and I'm 90% sure it's a bug.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:57 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
That Waluigi thing isn't a bug It's a feature, I believe there was an issue when we added his sheet into the engine that resulted in that and we didn't catch it until much later (I may be wrong about that, but either was it has been noted).

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 109 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked