Forum rules

NOTE: This forum is for discussion of the Midas Machine MFGG Project ONLY.

DO NOT POST if it is not relevant to "Midas Machine."

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 205 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Screens and Videos!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:34 am 
Thanks Gato!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Elyk wrote:
Chaoxys wrote:
- Why does it jsut scroll for no reason? And why does Mario jump so high? And why do blocks float? And why do flowers make me throw fire? I think you get my point. Either way the scrolling was added a while back when I was still testing the scrolling and would have msotl ikely have been removed in the final game but now i'm keeping it in in spite of you.

-?

- Oh gee idk maybe you should slow down? I can/will most likely make the room a tad brighter. As for the one in the desert, yeah, just slow down, it's super easy and it even gives you a fire flower which lights the path even more.

I edited out the spoiler things from my post and your quote of mine. I wasn't aware that it was super secret. I'm not sure who saw it other than Shadow Kami who might need to be "silenced".

Anyways I understand that I'm being pretty nit picky and accept what you said for the stuff I removed from your quote but for the others:

-None of those things you listed restrict the player while auto-scrolling does. I know it's not final but I just don't like to see it anywhere :x

-Springs as platforms over nothing. Typical scene in fan gaming when the creator doesn't know how to design levels so they just throw some springs in a line and call it a day.

-I was going pretty slow. Also I'm pretty sure that the fire flower in the desert was after the pits (in the stage I capped I know it was after for sure) but I could be wrong.

I'm not trying to insult you or cause any trouble, I just want to help make sure that this is a good game.

Great, now I know the secret. :( Dang it Eylk!

---

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:17 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Heres a new feature you guys will get to play with at NCFC this year. Remember how you could use the DSe to talk to E. Gadd and he'd say one of five quotes? No? You never used that because it was pointless? Well how about this?
Yup, he now gives actual hints and general commentary on levels, even going as far as to telling you the best player to use for a level. Of course this is optional, but it should be useful for trickier goldshrooms later on. It's also based on the individual rooms, not the level as a whole, so each room could offer new info, be it useful or just interesting.

User page at mfgg.net

[es]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:26 pm 
I'm just a little adorable kitty :3
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Nice!

BTW, There's a new chapter done?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:47 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
We more or less dropped the chapter thing honestly since we wouldn't be able to meet the deadlines and keep the quality up, not to mention the fact that we keep going back to earlier worlds and remaking things, which would make the chapter system a bit pointless. We do however have something nice planned for the NCFC this year.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:46 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
looks pretty good, can i ask you what is NCFC?

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:06 pm 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

That's cool.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:19 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Game wrote:
looks pretty good, can i ask you what is NCFC?

It's essentially the E3 but for fangames.

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:33 am 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
That idea is pretty cool, this game gets better and better.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:25 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I felt I should point this out since Elyk loves them so much, world 2 will feature about 6 or so auto scrolling levels! Your welcome Elyk ;)

No but seriously, I wanted to point out that there will be a number of auto scrolling sections (only 1 level features in throughout the entire level), but we've added neat little twists to it and we've changed it up. Honestly, I'm not a huge auto scrolling fan, but I can say that these ones are some of my favorite levels so far.

Looks like your basic train level? Hehe, there may be more here than you'd expect.

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:51 pm 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Does there come water out of that pipe after a little time? Just guessing. Also, it must be a REALLY well-designed level to let it be fun to me, I always hate auto-scrolling levels. But I don't doubt you designed it well, all your levels are :)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:00 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

The autoscrolling isn't bad on the ones where the platform is actually scrolling or you have a conveyor belt underneath your feet (if it wasn't there you can have people get left behind which would break the level) but it's not fun at all on the train. It scrolls so slowly too so you have to constantly wait and while you're waiting you're also getting blown back by the wind so you have to keep walking forward. Have you tried going through it without the scrolling? I imagine it would be significantly better. You don't want to open up the world by leaving bad impressions. I'd try editing it myself but the ogmo project file that I have doesn't have layers defined.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:32 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Okay heres my issue I'm having. You say it would be a bad start to the world, but thats because you personally hate auto scrolling levels so I'm honestly having a hard time taking your opinion seriously on that subject. Either way, the level is essentially designed around the scrolling so it's not going anywhere. I may speed it up some but it's the first level so I don't want it to be at an unfair speed.

EDIT- Don't take that the wrong way, I understand that a few people dislike auto scrolling levels, but I'm not going to remake entire levels to fit that demographic, especially since the level was meant to pay tribute to Wario Land (the train levels where it auto scrolls outside and goes normally inside).

EDIT2- Sped it up a bit but I can't make it go faster without making it way too hard for such an early level.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:08 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

The thing with adding auto-scrolling is that you make it so the player has to go through the level at a set pace. I don't really like auto-scrolling because I prefer to go through at my own pace. I haven't played Wario Land 1 (I have played 2-4 and I don't remember any auto-scrolling in those) but I looked up some videos to see what you mean. It seems like it's scrolling about as fast as Wario can walk or focusing on keeping him in the center of the screen.

For what I said about opening the world I don't mean because I hate auto-scrolling but because of how slow it is. It's kind of annoying to wait and faster paced moments are good to put at the start of games to capture a player's attention. I tried the new version and I think it's much better, you still have to wait a bit but it's a good pace.

Another issue with it might be that Wario can't jump over the gaps unless you're charging. This means that you need to wait additional time so you can have enough room to charge hop to the other side.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:38 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Remember when I said that the level was made with auto scrolling in mind? And did you notice all the Wario only things in that level? Long story short, it's a Wario training ground. I didn't want to add a sign to flat out say "Hey, you can make farther jumps by charging first!". I felt it would work better to let the player figure it out. They'd see the wind pushing them back and they'd notice that it makes jumps harder. Then they'd see the ? blocks on the ground and the spiked enemies and think to charge into them. It's my hope that at that point they will be able to put 2 in 2 together and figure out what they need to to get by. If enough people complain about it at NCFC then I'll make changes, but for now I feel that it's a decent teaching tool.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:06 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

No, I'm not saying that you should make the gaps shorter. Although there should probably be a gap of equal size with floor under it so you don't die if this is a training stage. The slow scrolling before promoted hopping over gaps when there wasn't enough room to use a charge. The quickened scrolling that you have now is better because you're increasing the pacing and making the player charge more often, thereby teaching him to use the mechanic.

Also if you trigger the wheel at the end the wind blows you off causing you to not only to die but to lose any prize you might have gotten.
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:30 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
The falling off the train thing has already been fixed as of last night.

Mkay, I'll bring those blocks up by 1 or two to avoid anyhting getting stuck.

Huh... Weird. Not sure why that happens. I guess I could put the checkpoint outside the entrance to the ruins to avoid that though if need be.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:34 pm 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^Nah you don't have to, i should do something with the objects that come out of the roulette. They shouldn't be affected by walls.
Also I want the wind to stop when Mario reaches the goal, so that's not a problem anymore.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:56 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I spent a lot of time playing Midas Machine this past week so there are a ton of other things that I can point out. Like how pressing down here makes you pop out of the pipe on top of the first toad house. I don't think this is really the place for it though so if either of you want to talk to me on aim/msn/even irc if I have the time I'll go down the list. I don't really want to list stuff either because I'm not sure what's completed. I want to try and help get the game as good as possible for NCFC if you're still planning on that.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:13 am 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^There is a bug report/glitch topic. You can put some observations in there, doesn't matter if it's completed or not. Just be careful about spoilers. I'm sure it will be useful :)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:04 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Btw, I fixed that pipe issue. I made that pipe link back before I really knew how it worked, so there may be a few more objects that do stuff like that.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 205 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked