Forum rules

NOTE: This forum is for discussion of the Midas Machine MFGG Project ONLY.

DO NOT POST if it is not relevant to "Midas Machine."

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next  [ 205 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [jp]
 Post subject: Re: Screens and Videos!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:49 pm 
Yeah, I don't Even...
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
If you don't have anything for the 8-bit area music wise I could give it a go, since I've been messing with a famicom music maker lately.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:33 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
No we have it covered. Incase anyone didn't notice, that 8bit area is actually already in the demo thats on the mainsite. I just changed the graphics a bit.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:40 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
MarioBros 101 wrote:
Zero Kirby wrote:
MarioBros 101 wrote:
The only thing I have a problem with would be that 8-Bit Mario in the background - it's not actually the original sprite, seeing as it's that one that's used all over the internet with an extra layer on the back of the sprite(back meaning opposite direction Mario's facing.)

How the hell can you tell these things

And why the hell do you even care that much

I mean

That's like, a super-tiny detail nobody is going to notice playing casually

I notice that all the time because I get more and more annoyed each time I see someone using it as if it's the right one.

That is the stupidest thing to get annoyed about.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:48 pm 
Pootis
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I know, right?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:37 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Chaoxys wrote:
I guess this'll be an early Christmas gift of sorts. I know a lot of people had some issues with the levels in world 1, saying they were too hard to navigate and what not, so you'll be happy to know world 1 is getting a complete redesign. I'm not just editing the existing levels, I'm completely restarting them from scratch (thanks to some advice from Thunder Dragon).
A little preview, although I'll say for now these shots don't really do them justice as I'm still working with the graphics, but trust me, they will be better.

Also, the underwater one looks a bit odd still, but in motion is looks nice with the newer close bg parts.

EDIT- Hmmm... I'm wondering if levels that take place 100% underwater should use a different filter that doesn't change the colors. Closest example I can think of is in Psycho Waluigi. Idk, the color works when in an otherwise dry level, but it looks kinda weird when it take up everything.
oh so this is when they got changed so I guess I'll make my reply here
I tried the new levels out and I liked the old ones a lot better. Also auto-scrolling is terrible.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:50 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
So you like cheap areas that require unfair puzzles, paths that you can't even see and cause you to get stuck and random pits in areas where it's hard to avoid? Seriously though Elyk, you've been here a while, I'd expect you of all people to post better than that. Just saying "I hate it", and thats it? At least give us something to work with. Why do you hate the old levels, why is the auto-scrolling terrible? We aren't psychics, we don't know what you are thinking.

Sorry if I sounded rude, but I hate the idea of someone crapping all over my work then walking off without explaining why it is that my work was bad, especially when virtually everyone else that played said the original levels were terrible.

User page at mfgg.net

[jp]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:55 am 
Yeah, I don't Even...
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Since I don't know what the new levels look like, I don't Know how it'll play but the screenshots look better than the older areas IMO.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:07 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Shadow Kami wrote:
Since I don't know what the new levels look like, I don't Know how it'll play but the screenshots look better than the older areas IMO.

The main difference is they they don't... how to describe it? The old levels would have you winding back and forth in dumb ways or add things, not to be fun, but to waste your time. For example, the forest level had the section where you have to climb up a tree from the inside and it was literally just jumping straight up over and over again, or the mushroom canyon level where it had you zigzagging on the small floating chunks of land just to continue. The newer levels are a bit more straight forward. There are side paths and secrets, but they are now simply side paths and secrets and not a part of the main level.

Actually, now I'm wondering if he's playing an older version of those levels. He said that the auto scrolling is terrible which is not the case, it works fine, but I know for a fact that it used to be a bit buggy (mainly due to me misusing it).

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:22 am 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^ I think he just hates auto scrolling in general. I'm not a fan of it either :p

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:24 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I don't like it when it's used in situations like in SMB3, as in, over pits with small platforms, often moving, hence why I put it in a fairly pit free area (up until the end).

User page at mfgg.net

[jp]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:28 am 
Yeah, I don't Even...
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Well, hopefully you two will have sovled any issues found and will have chapter 2 out by NCFC 2012 this year. I'm iching to try out world two & the redone levels f world one. :P

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:34 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
If we can't show you more this year, we'll at least have World 2 for you so you can play Wario and Waluigi.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:54 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Yeah, I dislike auto-scrolling in general because it forces the player to move in one direction for no reason. Maybe it would be okay for a chase/escape scene, but when there's no reason for the screen to scroll is seems stupid.

I guess you could say that I am bias toward the older levels because I spent a ridiculous amount of time testing them. I'm not saying the new levels are bad (except Mushroom Gorge) but they aren't as good as the old ones imo. I don't agree that the old levels were difficult to navigate (Go left for a screen's worth? I don't know how to do that!). They were filled will lots of little secrets which I guess you could say were what confused players but the correct path always seemed clear to me. I liked how the secrets were integrated as part of the level. It made replaying a stage more fun because you could pick different paths.

Spoiler:

Other: It's difficult to read the numbers on the HUD while you're playing.
I'm available on msn/aim/irc pretty much all of the time if you want to talk about it more or have me do testing on the newer stages.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:13 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Elyk wrote:
Yeah, I dislike auto-scrolling in general because it forces the player to move in one direction for no reason. Maybe it would be okay for a chase/escape scene, but when there's no reason for the screen to scroll is seems stupid.

I guess you could say that I am bias toward the older levels because I spent a ridiculous amount of time testing them. I'm not saying the new levels are bad (except Mushroom Gorge) but they aren't as good as the old ones imo. I don't agree that the old levels were difficult to navigate (Go left for a screen's worth? I don't know how to do that!). They were filled will lots of little secrets which I guess you could say were what confused players but the correct path always seemed clear to me. I liked how the secrets were integrated as part of the level. It made replaying a stage more fun because you could pick different paths.

Spoiler:

Other: It's difficult to read the number on the HUD while you're playing.
I'm available on msn/aim/irc pretty much all of the time if you want to talk about it more or have me do testing on the newer stages.

-The vines are there to help there to misguide the player. It looks like they are meant to be used to cross the pit (which you can easily jump btw) but they are really there to let you get on the tree to the left.

-I actually meant to add complete that path a long time ago but I keep forgetting.

-Place holder. Of course I'm not going to have magic flying springs, if I wanted them to fly, I'd have put wings on them... hmmm...

-Thanks for posting something we were trying to keep secret as a little surprise, really, thanks. Anyways, it's up to Guinea on whether or not that changes, although I'm fine with how he works personally.

- Easy fix.

- Why does it jsut scroll for no reason? And why does Mario jump so high? And why do blocks float? And why do flowers make me throw fire? I think you get my point. Either way the scrolling was added a while back when I was still testing the scrolling and would have msotl ikely have been removed in the final game but now i'm keeping it in in spite of you.

-?

-Another easy fix

-If only there were other rooms to choose from, but as far as I can tell it's only the green pipe. In other words, pick another pipe. That one is annoying on purpose because in the end I plan on it having the most rewards (more coins, ect).

- Oh gee idk maybe you should slow down? I can/will most likely make the room a tad brighter. As for the one in the desert, yeah, just slow down, it's super easy and it even gives you a fire flower which lights the path even more.

-Another easy fix

- That was added because originally there was a mushroom that only Waluigi could get in that level. I thought it would be stupid to require the player to play through the level not once, not twice, but 3 times just to get all of the mushrooms.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:49 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Chaoxys wrote:
- Why does it jsut scroll for no reason? And why does Mario jump so high? And why do blocks float? And why do flowers make me throw fire? I think you get my point. Either way the scrolling was added a while back when I was still testing the scrolling and would have msotl ikely have been removed in the final game but now i'm keeping it in in spite of you.

-?

- Oh gee idk maybe you should slow down? I can/will most likely make the room a tad brighter. As for the one in the desert, yeah, just slow down, it's super easy and it even gives you a fire flower which lights the path even more.

I edited out the spoiler things from my post and your quote of mine. I wasn't aware that it was super secret. I'm not sure who saw it other than Shadow Kami who might need to be "silenced".

Anyways I understand that I'm being pretty nit picky and accept what you said for the stuff I removed from your quote but for the others:

-None of those things you listed restrict the player while auto-scrolling does. I know it's not final but I just don't like to see it anywhere :x

-Springs as platforms over nothing. Typical scene in fan gaming when the creator doesn't know how to design levels so they just throw some springs in a line and call it a day.

-I was going pretty slow. Also I'm pretty sure that the fire flower in the desert was after the pits (in the stage I capped I know it was after for sure) but I could be wrong.

I'm not trying to insult you or cause any trouble, I just want to help make sure that this is a good game.

User page at mfgg.net

[jp]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:04 pm 
Yeah, I don't Even...
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
You don't need to silence me I'll keep quiet about it.

Last edited by Shadow Kami on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:05 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
My point with the auto-scrolling was that it doesn't make sense to have it for no reason, but then again, a lot of stuff in Mario doesn't make sense. Either way, like I said, it was there because at the time that I was making the level, Guinea made the auto scrolling feature and I wanted to test it. Also, you are going to hate on of the levels in world 2.

Yeah the springs are just a place holder. They are going to be these mushrooms with spring like stems (do mushrooms have stems or is it called something else?)

Like I said, I'll probably lighten the room a bit in the sewers, but not in the desert since, up until you get the fire flower, the torches are placed directly over platforms, so there isn't any chance of a cheap death prior to that (plus it's the final level in world 2 so it's a tad harder).

EDIT- There we go, just made an update that should knock out a few issues.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:15 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I'll take care of the things I can. The thing with the secret thing making springs harder to maneuver can be fixed by context sensitivity hopefully and I've been looking in ways to fix it since I noticed it myself too.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:14 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I took the scrolling part out, I've gotta admit I don't like it. Feels weird. The cave always had this nice feel to me, like the pace slowed down and you take things as they come. Now it's "Whoop I'm just flyin on through." I'm going to make so many scrolling levels in spite of you now.

Also, your issue with the pipe maze, I forgot that I had actually added a bit of a joke with that. Basically, all you have to do is go into the pipe it drops you on. That pipe will pop you out directly next to a wall pipe, and guess what? Thats the exit. I had actually forgotten about that up until a few minutes ago while testing the level.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:36 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

It's much better now.

Really? Without the auto-scrolling you can stand there and admire the level as long as you like. I was annoyed and at the right side of the screen trying to complete the section rather than looking at it. With the auto-scrolling off I actually found myself back tracking a bit and kill off a goomba I missed.

Like I said before, I have a decent amount of free time right now. I can see that there's a bunch of stuff that isn't completed and I have one way SVN access (can't commit) so I'm more than willing to do some runs and take notes of bugs/make comments. Just let me know when and what.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next  [ 205 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked