Forum rules

NOTE: This forum is for discussion of the Midas Machine MFGG Project ONLY.

DO NOT POST if it is not relevant to "Midas Machine."

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next  [ 161 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [br]
 Post subject: Re: Idea Pool
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:48 pm 
Only ripping sprites/sounds!
[*]
[*]
Time attack mode, with author time, gold, silver and bronze...
And a hard time, just like Donkey Kong Country Returns...

I think an co-op mode by Lan would be good (if possible ^^)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Am I the first person ever to bother to change the subject?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:01 pm 
heartbeat, increasing heartbeat
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I think putting a co-op mode would make this the best game ever... =)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:39 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I think putting in a co-op mode would make this the most broken/delayed game ever.

Broken because you can only enter certain areas with certain characters, thus you'd leave your partner in an area that could be dangerous.

Delayed because it's taking us enough time to get the game out with a single player.

Also some Worlds, on your first time through anyways, only have a single playable character.

So yeah, as cool as it would be, it probably wouldn't work. It works in NDMBWii since all the characters work the exact same, which is not the case in Midas Machine.

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:48 pm 
Only ripping sprites/sounds!
[*]
[*]
Other game cameos?
Well, this can be only discussed when the game is getting to end, the story isn't complete yet right?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
No the story is finished. As for cameos, they, up until now, have been a spur of the moment thing. We're trying to keep any cameo's subtle so it's not overkill.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:39 pm 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

A prison level.
4 words:
Marty as a boss.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:00 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
superdimentiobros wrote:
A prison level.
4 words:
Marty as a boss.

We actually need reasons for levels. Despite how random some may sound, they've actually been carefully planned so they fit in with the story.

Also, who is Marty?

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:05 pm 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Chaoxys wrote:
superdimentiobros wrote:
A prison level.
4 words:
Marty as a boss.

We actually need reasons for levels. Despite how random some may sound, they've actually been carefully planned so they fit in with the story.

Also, who is Marty?

Marty is the green thwomp from behind bars in bowser's castle in Mario Kart 64.
Maybe you could make it so that there's a toad that lives beside an old abandoned prison that tells you about strange noises coming from it, and asks you to investigate.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:27 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Idk. I'll be honest, a prison just doesn't sound too exciting. It also doesn't sound very Marioy. I mean think about it, with all the villains and minions, have you ever seen one go to jail?

Either way, we already have 2 thwomp related bosses and it seems excessive to add another for the sake of making a MK reference.

Don't get me wrong now, the idea of a prison in general could work, it would just have to be... more fitting. Instead of it being your basic prison, we could make it a section of a castle level, like the lower parts in Bowser's Castle in Paper Mario.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:03 pm 
Why yes, I am a Squidtroid.
[*]
[*]
I had an idea for a cameo. Harbor World only. Would actually have to pay attention to see it. An Octorock underwater. Could also appear in certain areas of the Harbor World, but as said, would have to pay attention to see it.
That doesn't sound subtle enough. . . .

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:12 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I'm fine with something like that although Octoroks have undergone so many design changes, it would be hard to make one so that the player knows it's an octorok and not a random Mario octopus. I'd suggest something like that but with another enemy. One thats a bit more consistent.

EDIT- I had an idea for Dry Bones.

Well, it's more of a subspecies.

We use Dark Dry Bones from Paper Mario 2 as an enemy for later levels to replace the standard DB. He essentially works the same with 1 difference. When you jump on him, his body falls, but his head pops off and chases you around (not super fast or anything, it just hops after you). If you jump on the head, it also "falls" for a few seconds. Both the body and the head become seperate objects at this point, although if they come in contact, I guess they could reattach.

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:14 pm 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Well, Zelda casually and blatantly throws in things like Chain Chomps, Lakitus and Bob'ombs across various games-- so when you think about it, an Octorok wouldn't really be all that out of place. In fact, I once considered having them in Toad Strikes Back, haha (never got around to it though). Also, let's not forget that Mario Land 2 employs Gordos (the spiky enemies from Kirby).

Psychic Cyclopean Silverware IN SPACE!
Follow updates (among other things) on The Twitterbooks!
(if you followed my old personal account, this is a different one - follow it instead!)

Engine test demo and more @
EyesInEverything.com

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:18 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Thunder Dragon wrote:
Well, Zelda casually and blatantly throws in things like Chain Chomps, Lakitus and Bob'ombs across various games-- so when you think about it, an Octorok wouldn't really be all that out of place. In fact, I once considered having them in Toad Strikes Back, haha (never got around to it though). Also, let's not forget that Mario Land 2 employs Gordos (the spiky enemies from Kirby).

My concern isn't that they'd seem out of place. I'm more worried that it would be mistaken as a regular octopus, this the cameo is essentially lost (Or people would think it's the octopus enemy from Wario Shake).

I wouldn't want to use the basic Octorok design since, as I just said, it looks a lot like the WLS baddy. The OOT design might looks way too unfitting...

I bet the PH/ST octorok would fit nicely. Maybe have it pop up from time to time in the ocean world or something...

Oh, I have an even better idea.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:40 am 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Chaoxys wrote:
Idk. I'll be honest, a prison just doesn't sound too exciting. It also doesn't sound very Marioy. I mean think about it, with all the villains and minions, have you ever seen one go to jail?

Either way, we already have 2 thwomp related bosses and it seems excessive to add another for the sake of making a MK reference.

Don't get me wrong now, the idea of a prison in general could work, it would just have to be... more fitting. Instead of it being your basic prison, we could make it a section of a castle level, like the lower parts in Bowser's Castle in Paper Mario.

I know no Mario bad guys ever go to jail, why do you think the prison's abandoned?
All the prisoners are gone, except for Marty, because thwomps live longer then people and koopas, being made of stone & all.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:51 pm 
Why yes, I am a Squidtroid.
[*]
[*]
So, was anything decided for my Octorok suggestion? Just wondering.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:58 pm 
we own the night
[*]
[*]
superdimentiobros wrote:
I know no Mario bad guys ever go to jail, why do you think the prison's abandoned?
All the prisoners are gone, except for Marty, because thwomps live longer then people and koopas, being made of stone & all.

You contradicted yourself a lot for having only typed two sentences. If no Mario bad guys go to jail, it stands to reason that there would be no jail. And if there was a jail, how could it be abandoned when there were no prisoners in it from the start? Or how could there have been prisoners when there was no jail to imprison people? Yeah...

It makes more sense to keep the Thwomps in castle levels instead of inventing a whole new world for them.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:41 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
ProtoTroid wrote:
So, was anything decided for my Octorok suggestion? Just wondering.

Oh sorry. See heres what I was thinking. I have a level planned for a later world that will require enemies like the land bloopers in SMS, but since that species would only be in Delfino, I figured I'd make a different species, so I thought I'd make a Blooper/Octorok hybrid which would essentially be an octorok colored to look like a blooper.

Aside from that, having one hidden in a small part of a level is no big deal.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:16 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Sorry to double post but heres the thing. In the harbor "world" there was going to be a level in Toad Town hospital in which you fight Doctor Atlas, a pill throwing hammer bro. This ides came up as a means to have the enemies be gold crazed Toads. Now, at the time I loved the idea but now I'm having second thoughts for a few reasons.

1. Each world has 3 minibosses. The harbor world's miniboss have nothing to do with a harbor. 2 of the minibosses are story related, Dr. Atlas isn't. If we drop the Dr. Boss idea, we can replace it with something new and fitting.

2. The hospital would require an all new tileset that would only be used once.

3. Having some Toad go nuts due to greed would imply that other toads seen in the game would also go crazy (which they don't).

I was thinking we could replace him with a large crab like boss that you fight on a construction site in the water (think Ricco Harbor). You are climbing on a fence and he is in the water below trying to get you with his claws or something... idk, either way it's more fitting.

So, opinions?

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:55 am 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Wow, you're even more of a perfectionist than I am. And that's saying a LOT. ;P But hey, whatever you do is totally up to you, but remember: Mario doesn't exactly run on logic. And even if it DID... well, in the real world, harbors do have doctors. It's not like the populace has to be made up entirely of sea creatures. ;P Also, I love the Dr. Bros idea... even if you don't include him as a miniboss, I'd suggest having them as enemies. But yeah, if you must, look at SMB2-- we have some pretty unfitting bosses there. I mean, you fight a crab in a tree for crying out loud. ;D

Last edited by Thunder Dragon on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Psychic Cyclopean Silverware IN SPACE!
Follow updates (among other things) on The Twitterbooks!
(if you followed my old personal account, this is a different one - follow it instead!)

Engine test demo and more @
EyesInEverything.com

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:08 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Oh I know that. another issue I had was that Dr. Atlas really didn't bring anything new to the table. The concept is cool, sure, but the actual fight would get old pretty fast. If I he fits somewhere else later, sure, I'd love to have him in, otherwise, I'd rather have a boss that uses new fighting mechanics.

Who knows, like you said he could become an enemy later on.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next  [ 161 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked