Forum rules

NOTE: This forum is for discussion of the Midas Machine MFGG Project ONLY.

DO NOT POST if it is not relevant to "Midas Machine."

Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next  [ 518 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Engine
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:08 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hey Guinea, how do I make the spinning platforms spin clockwise? I'm working on the final level of world 4 and I want to do thing where I have a huge wheel going clockwise, then a smaller one inside of it going counterclockwise (same center point as the large one), and then probably one or two more wheels inside of them with their directions the reverse of the previous one. I'd then build a maze of sorts around them (it's kinda complicated). I'd also need lava, podoboos, and Buckethead for the level if possible.

EDIT-Ah, figured that first part out. Unfortunately it seems to cause a great deal of lag so I may have to rethink the idea.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:38 am 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Hm, simply moving a platform backwards shouldn't cause any lag at all... All you need to do is give it a negative speed.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:01 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I think I found something interesting...
I honestly have no idea whats going on. The floor is pushing my into the wall but I'm not taking any damage at all (the two hits I took were from some snifits off screen).

EDIT- On a side note, I've added a 2 new rooms to the castle level. The 3rd one is too difficult imo so I'm either going to nerf it, or move it to a later world.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:11 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hey Guinea, if I could make a suggestion about Burly Guy, well, more so to the barrel, could you make it so it can be jumped on, it can kill enemies, if it hits a brick block, it will destroy it and itself (it will also destroy itself on contact with another barrel).

I'd like to have the player be able to jump on it because it is going to be used in areas where you may not have a lot of room so allowing you a bit of freedom by jumping on it seems fair. I feel like it should be able to kill enemies, although probably because it moves like a shell. I'd mainly like it to break brick blocks so we could use it in puzzles or something. The thing about barrels destroying each other is to avoid situations where we'd have a million barrels stuck in a small gap.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:14 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hey Guinea, if you have time, can you make it so the camera doesn't try to follow the snowball? The room I'm designing for it is a bit less... tame than the one in the original demo, and it's causing the camera to go nuts at times.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:13 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Well this is rather odd. It seems something happened to the rocket barrel. It now goes faster than the screen itself.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:23 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^Ohh.. I need to adjust this. Must have happened after I tinkered with the camera system to have smoother transitions between targets.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:15 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hey Guinea, two things, neither of which is needed any time soon, just wanted to make a note of it. First being that I've made a new Lakitu, but don't worry, I tried to keep it simple. Basically it's a stationary Dangerous Duck. It just sits in it's cloud and tosses a boomerang from time to time. Heck, it doesn't even leave a cloud when defeated (this is for Lakipunk levels).

The other thing is that Lakitus seem a bit... buggy as of right now. A few things I've noticed:
1. They don't always spawn.
2. When you have multiple in one room, later ones don't always spawn.
3. They sometimes won't throw their items.
4. Glam Lakitu's cloud won't stop flashing.

Btw, if you are wondering why I'm messing with Lakitus so much, it's because I've started on the level "Lakitu's Lagoon", so I'll more or less be using them in a lot of ways (if you take a look at the first room, you'll see what I mean).

EDIT- More of a personal request on this one, but is it possible to make add a variable to Lakitu that allows him to change his vertical height in response to the player? Just wondering as I feel it would avoid situations I've been running into where the player has to avoid Lakitu himself, more than the things he throws. When I say variable, I mean so we can turn it on or off in ogmo, based on which level he's in. Also, if we do add this, I'd make his vert movement a bit slow to avoid any awkward jumping around.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:58 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^Noted. And yes, Lakitu really is very buggy. Didn't test him so much yet.
The new Lakitu should work too, and the Lakitu height switch shouldn't be a problem either.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:50 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Awesome. I'm actually finding that theres a lot of neat things that can be done with him (like having him throw jumping cheeps in a land based level with water near the bottom). Lots of fun things he can do.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:08 pm 
Don't look at your profile sillywabbit
[*]
[*]
[*]
Once Midas Machine is finished, is the engine going to become public domain?

A replacement founder (and a few operators) is heavily desired! PM me or Raikyo to apply! Please specify Founder, Operator, or either being fine when applying!

User page at mfgg.net

[jp]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:00 pm 
Yeah, I don't Even...
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
TiKi wrote:

I'm 100% sure Guinea is probably not goign ot hand out the engien source once Midas is finished(1. Most people don't like to give up their programmed sources, plus that's indirectly asking for it you know. 2) It'd be way to complicated more than 90% of people to use if it was released. Plus if it were released people would end up making "midas clones" and that'd be bad.) So you probably shouldn't ask, this isn't yoyogames where people ask for other peoples sources just cause the game is good.

So that's pretty much common sense, not to ask for someone elses work they've been workign on for more than 3 years.(or any time frame, it's unethical to ask for a source unless it specifically says that it's open source. Which then there'd most likely be a link)

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:51 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
TiKi wrote:

Pretty much what Shadow Kami said. Seriously, stop relying on engines and try to come up with something yourself. Only that way you can improve. If you need some starting help, go look into tutorials, but I can pretty much guarantee you won't get to see Midas Machine's source code.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:33 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Midas Machine's source code is kind of written in a way that only Guinea understands unless something has changed since the last time I looked at it (which was probably at least two years ago).

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:37 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^Yeah, even though I designed it in a way to be understandable by a decent programmer and commented pretty much everything, but then when nobody really wanted to work with it anyway, I started hacking and now it's kinda undocumented, especially so with the parts I added later.

Another reason why it's so complex is because I started it before I really learned "programming" at university, and in these years my coding style grew and changed, so there are a lot of inconsistencies in the code.

I think if someone else worked with it though, and I was there to give advice whenever someone asked, I guess it can be used by other people, or if someone is a genius...
Still, this engine isn't very expandable anymore, so the only games that could come from it would be Midas Machine clones, so no, it will never go open source.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:46 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hey Guinea, sorry to bug you with this (again), but I made one last update to the jungle tiles. This should be the final one from what I can tell.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:52 pm 
Is that a jojoke?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Guinea wrote:
^Yeah, even though I designed it in a way to be understandable by a decent programmer and commented - blah blah blah

Dumb Question Approching
Quote:
Would you release the basic platforming engine? Like not the koopas and everything, just the moving and jumping?

User page at mfgg.net

[jp]
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:34 pm 
Yeah, I don't Even...
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I don't think guinea has the time to pick through the engine and extract parts of his complicated engine. Plus even if he would do that, I highly doubt even that would be readable to most people. Plus he said it's not going to be released so let it be.

Last edited by Shadow Kami on Sun May 05, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:34 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Double Agent Luigifan wrote:
Dumb Question Approching
Quote:
Would you release the basic platforming engine? Like not the koopas and everything, just the moving and jumping?

Guinea wrote:
no, it will never go open source.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:48 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
My gosh, people, stop asking Guinea to release his code. There's plenty of other engines around her and lots of basic platform examples exist too if you just want "moving and jumping".

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next  [ 518 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked