Forum rules

NOTE: This forum is for discussion of the Midas Machine MFGG Project ONLY.

DO NOT POST if it is not relevant to "Midas Machine."

Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next  [ 518 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Engine
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:53 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Well, the average right now is about 30-40 coins per level with more challenging levels having around 50-60 (though they are usually harder to get so you tend to still end with 30-40). So in all, you should get a bonus thing every 3-4 levels.

EDIT- Odd, I seem to have lost access to SVN.

EDIT2- And now it's randomly working again.

Oh yeah, for the boss fight, maybe the spike on top of his shell should hurt you as well while he's spinning around to avoid players simply standing on the platforms to avoid it.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:56 pm 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I told you how he's solving this problem, I just didn't add it yet ;)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:28 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
You did? Huh, I completely forgot. Now that you mention it, I do remember you saying something, just can't remember what it was. Oh well, I guess I'll see soon enough.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:17 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Just tried the boss. Pretty fun but way too hard for a world 2 miniboss. I have some suggestions that I think would help.

1. When he leaves the bones floating in the water, have him only spawn 3-4.
2. When he spits the bones, again, 3-4, and have them go a bit slower (having less may remove the need for them to be slower).
3. Have the hooks stay down just a bit longer maybe. (They stay down long enough but I'd say add a few more seconds to avoid anyone complaining).
4. When he's about to jump at you. have him stop following the player.
5. Replace song with "miniboss2.ogg".
6. This is more of a bug. Sometimes after the bones go up and off screen, they call in a different way which results in a rather unfair hit (I stood between two sets of bones and they went up, didn't move, and one came down and hit my right in the middle.)

I think those are the only things I noticed. We could probably use the current version in the trial ruins (have a recolored version or something). Also, I'm assuming you just haven't added in the other animations yet? Right now I've noticed a few are missing.

Also, maybe we can add a mini custscene at the start to help the player figure out what to do (The player falls out of the pipe and lands on the hook. It lowers and Chummy leaps out of the water. The player leaps out of the way with a ! above their head and chummy lands on the ground then jumps back in the water).

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:51 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I think there's no need for a cutscene, because you're landing on the hook from the beginning so you see the hook goes down. Then players will try to push the hooks down and notice them snapping back. In more case of doubt, Gadd is always there to help.

As for the number of bones, yes, I wanted to reduce the amount.
As for the bones going up, all bones are going in an arc now, to make sure the player doesn't just stand there. It's an easy to figure out pattern.

As for other things, I consider them.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:48 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Yeah it's pretty hard. You should definitely reduce the bone amount or even consider not having them damage the player when they fall back down.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:34 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
He's already lowered the amount a few hours ago. As for making them not hurt on the way down, that isn't needed since they no longer fly up as high and they seem to have some hang time, so you can get a feel for where they are going.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:06 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Alright, I uploaded a list of world 3 levels that are ready for the demo and their mushroom totals, the only issues are:

* You are unable to bring items through warp points, thus messing up the entire secret exit in Wacked Out Woods.

* The rocket barrel in the well spawns a second barrel when you start. Any coins you collect are doubled. The player ignores the star goal roulette.

Also, in "Spring in your Step", there will be a side room that I haven't added. This will be removed in the demo version as it will lead to an optional Porkula fight (if we use him).

EDIT- Oh yeah, one of the levels was made by TD. I haven't tried it yet but it looks like it's finished. You get to it through the Wacked out Woods secret exit, so if we can't resolve that issue in time, we could simply drop the secret exit aspect for now (instead having the normal exit lead to it or something).

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:19 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I'll see what I can do about those. For NCFC, it would be great if you could start taking screenshots and maybe record gameplay footage for a trailer.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:07 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I don't think I'll be able to record footage, and if I did, it would be rather poor quality and I don't have the knowledge to make a full trailer. Wasn't there someone a while ago offering to make a trailer for us?

I will however get the screen shots made.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:37 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I can record footage if you tell me what you want me to show.

Also can I get a save file that allows me to go anywhere on the map? Is there a debug way to do this? I got stuck on the Mario side of the map the other day when it updated because the path was missing due to me not having completed some levels (they had no exits) so I started over and now I'm stuck on the Wario side because after beating the world 2 boss nothing happens.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:49 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
"W" is the win key.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:36 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
in the version that is uploaded right now, please start a new game. In order to go to the 2nd chapter, finish the castle level (with the Syrup fight) without cheating, as the cutscene triggers the move to world 2.

Also, 1,2,3 and 4 switch between characters in levels, make sure to record with all characters. (Switching might not work in some rooms though, try to only do it when you have control over your character and if it's the first room of a level)

What's more, last year when I recorded the trailer, I set the music volume all the way to 0, so I could then just play one music over the whole trailer while sound effects are still recorded.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:52 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I found a pretty funny bug. Talk to a sign or NPC while holding a shell as anyone but Wario.

Also there is a secret exit in Toadshire Forest that you can only reach with Waluigi. Going through it sets Mushroom Canyon as complete. I don't know what it's supposed to do exactly but it's referenced in the chat lines so I assume it's supposed to be there.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:44 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Well, the first thing has been known about for a while.

As for the secret exit... thats a new one honestly... It's meant to take you to a rocket barrel level that acts as a shortcut to the sky world (The secret exit will be blocked off in the final version with a switch palace block from a later world so you can't access it too early). I left it open because I was going to make the level it would have lead to as an extra challenge to the player in the demo, but I never finished it. I'll have to ask Guinea to add another ! Block into ogmo so I can block it off.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:20 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Also last night I edited a lot of the lines for World 1. Most of my changes don't show up in game for some reason. I made sure to save them and confirmed it when the SVN icon changed from a green check to the red !. I just opened some files now and a lot of the changes weren't saved or reverted for some reason :/

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:45 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
After you change text, you have to click somewhere outside of the text box to make it disappear, otherwise ogmo doesn't seem to register it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:58 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

That's right, Guinea told me to make sure I did that and I forgot.

WELP

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:03 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hey Guinea, I'm working on the two new minibosses we talked about (the reskin ones). Would you be against minor changes? To give an example, I'm respriting Chummy's reskin as a large Fishbones. Since it would be in the mountain world, I was thinking it could be in lava (we could make it transparent lava for the fight), and when you reel him in, he'd be glowing hot, so unlike Chummy, you wouldn't be able to jump on him right away, you'd have to wait for him to cool off first.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:05 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Could work.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next  [ 518 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked