Forum rules

NOTE: This forum is for discussion of the Midas Machine MFGG Project ONLY.

DO NOT POST if it is not relevant to "Midas Machine."

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next  [ 518 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [at]
 Post subject: Re: Engine
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:38 pm 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Chaoxys wrote:
Would it be possible to replace bosses with goal stars?

As said. Planned.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:56 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Oh sorry. I thought you meant something else.

Also I just noticed that the mountain tileset won't work properly since only a single layer (the front layer) can go in front of the player. This means that the slopes with the rocks in front won't work. We'd need second front layer or something but that would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:58 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
No, a 2nd front layer can be added.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:00 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Guinea wrote:

Oh okay, cool. I'm sure it'd be put to good use here and later on. I'll probably start on a world 2 level then, for fun if nothing else.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:04 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Chaoxys wrote:
Guinea wrote:

Oh okay, cool. I'm sure it'd be put to good use here and later on. I'll probably start on a world 2 level then, for fun if nothing else.

It's up.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:43 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Awesome, very useful.

I doubt I'll be making many levels right now, not until I can test them while making. So I guess first we'll have to plan out what we'll need for each level in terms of objects (like how the mountain needs the auto sliding platform), enemies, and... idk... other things.

Should we hold a meeting sometime soon?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:52 pm 
Rex
[*]
hey what if you did what some of the zelda games did and make it so that when you revisit a boss, you dont really do anything except for theres the calming music, and (oh maybe you could even collect health powerups from bosses... maybe yur too far in the engine to make that kind of ramification) you could exit whenever you want

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:15 pm 
Rex
[*]
i apologize for the double post, but Ive been playing piano for three years, and i could even compose said "...Zelda style song" in the boss room.

I put it as an attachment (you may need to turn your volume all the way up to hear it, because it was recorded low)

and i have just realized this is way off topic although it is relevant... i think... idk. don't like, ban me for a misconception

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:02 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hey Guinea, I've finished a level, so you can take a look at that when you get some time. Only thing it needs is the side waterfall (It would essentially be an animated tile. It does not effect the player), and a moving solid platform... I mean, the platform doesn't move, the player does. I'd need left and right versions. If possible, I'd like to see it with a wind like effect to it, as in, after a while of walking against it, it will overpower you and force you to go with the flow, unless you jump (jumping would become harder due to loss of momentum). Idk if thats asking to much, so just do what you can.

EDIT- When you get a chance, please update the mountain tileset.

EDIT2- As for needed enemies, we'd need the following:

Parakoopas (the kind that fly up and down, or left and right)
Bald Clefts
Muncher plants, upside down to be specific. (I've recently updated them and the Nipper plants)

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:03 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
So yeah, this won't affect most of you but I post about it anyways because I'm kinda happy about this:

Since levels are saved externally and edited with the Ogmo editor, they are saved in XML format, which is not only extremely slow and big, but also human readable (and thus easily hackable). For this, I have first written an algorithm that converts these XML files into binary files, which GM can then easily parse and make levels from that, so the players have faster loading times.
However, the problem is that GM is not built for this kind of algorithm and so the XML parsing was extremely slow.

Now that Chapter 1 is finally out, I found some time to rewrite the whole XML converter in Java, which makes the thing incredibly fast. Now, all levels together convert at least 100 times faster than GM was for only one level.
This java converter is now also integrated into the development executable in place of the old algorithm, so for level designers nothing changes, it's just incredibly fast now!

Ok, as said this is nothing of interest for most of you, I just felt like posting about it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:36 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hey Guinea, I'm starting to think that we should make it so defeated enemies and grabbed coins (when they pop up a little bit) should jump to the front layer. This stands especially true when you play the level in world 2 as it shows up a LOT. Granted it may look a bit odd in areas that take place behind layers, but I don't think it would be that bad. At most its showing you that you've gotten a coin or killed an enemy while behind the wall.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:56 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hey Guinea, I just got a chance to play with the moving floor object, it works perfectly, although I have 2 concerns.

1. If you jump through the bottom of it, it will catch you at random points, thus causing your feet to hand through the floor.

2. No momentum. There was a number of times I was sliding along pretty fast and I'd die because I expected it to launch me a bit (I didn't jump because I figured I'd overshoot it). So yeah, lack of momentum can be a bit confusing. If there is anything you can do with that, I'd appreciate it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:08 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Sorry to... triple post, but I've gone through things and i think I have an idea of what enemies we will need for world 2.

Spoiler:

I mean, it's up to you to do what you can, but the more you can knock off that list the better. It gives me more to work with and it'll help in the long run since pretty much all of these enemies will show up at many points throughout the game.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:47 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I hope you don't mind if I edit your post to cross out things that are done.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:09 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I found a glitch:
In the forest level (after the water level) you can slide into the shark, killing it, but it flies off in one direction and you could bounce off of it like if you were jumping on it.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:57 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hey Guinea, how do you think the quicksand will work? I want to start working on a levels with Bullys (the things that bump you in SM64. They'd essentially be player targeting Bloppers), and I need to know the plan for quicksand. If I'm not mistaken, in platformers, it makes you sink and limits your jumps to about... idk, half a block? When you are on top I believe you can do a normal jump, but I may be wrong. I was thinking it could, when you are on top, limit you to about 2 blocks high. Your call, it's just for an idea I had.

EDIT- Wall Munchers don't hurt you if you touch their mouth.

Also Guinea, 2 new levels Spoiler:
are finished.

I'll also say this, I plan on making optional/secret levels a bit harder than normal levels from now on. I personally love more challenging levels and I'm sure others do so I think it's fair to add some in.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:48 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
The 2-block jump sounds good for quicksand.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:02 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hey Guinea, I had an idea for that painting thing but it probably won't work, but I'll say it anyways.

We have 2 identical rooms (visually). 1st room has all tiles behind the player like normal and everything is fine. 2nd room in the inside the painting room and has the solid objects only around the painting areas. Now, we'd put a door object in front of the paintings so to enter/exit them, you simply press up (it would probably be special colored frames that allow this).

Now, the painting room would have the main room enemies (most likely Boos) replaced with simple NPC Boos that will drift back and forth, thus avoiding any issues with getting attacked while in the paintings/walls.

I think this could work and I'd like to at least try it to see since I don't think I explained it well.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:23 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Wouldn't get the effect you want.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:50 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
How so? I mean understand that there would be a bit of a pause but I don't understand what could go wrong.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next  [ 518 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked