Forum rules

NOTE: This forum is for discussion of the Midas Machine MFGG Project ONLY.

DO NOT POST if it is not relevant to "Midas Machine."

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next  [ 518 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Engine
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hey Guinea, if you get a chance do you think you could even out the Toads idles?

Make the females stop bouncing from time to time and stand there, and have the males bounce from time to time. It's odd to see only the adult females move.

EDIT- I'm also wondering if it's possible to fix the issue with pipes where you see the player on the side when entered. Maybe make it so as they enter the warp object, it cuts off a layer of pixels at a time? Idk, I'm just saying what comes to mind.

User page at mfgg.net

[ph]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:44 am 
A fox with class
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Hmmm... progress on the project I see. And when is episode 1 coming out? I just can't wait for it! Hehe. :)

Minus World Secret Santa Gifts: 2011- Dane
MFGG Secret Santa Gifts: 2012- McKnackus I ~ 2015-LuNiney ~ 2016-Mors 1 2

Refs drawn/sprited by other MFGG Members:
Doc ~ DragezeeY ~ Friendly Dictator ~ Mit ~ Wiwa

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:20 am 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Multimax36 wrote:
Hmmm... progress on the project I see. And when is episode 1 coming out? I just can't wait for it! Hehe. :)

We are quite close to finishing. That close in fact, that I think bugfixing is the only thing left on the to-do list.
At the moment a January release is realistic.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:32 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hey Guinea, would it be possible to take out the thing where the player is 1 pixel into the ground thing? It looks nice in some areas but it seems to be causing more trouble than anything else.

Also would it be possible to get a solid ground piece for ogmo that is slightly short? Like... 3 pixels off the top? Its odd to see the characters floating above warp pipes, and I know the Piranha Gut tile set will bring in some new issues with that.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:46 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^ I'll see about these.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:38 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I've added a dialogue adjustment txt file. Most of it is just ideas to make things more clear to the player and removing unneeded things.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:36 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Sorry to double post but I think I found something. Guinea, remember that glitch I told you about where I could kill enemies just by running into them? I think it's a glitch with Waluigi only. I played through some levels and it only happens with him, and it happened often. It tends to go like this-

1. I get hurt while super thin.
2. I bounce into an enemy.
3. I'M INVINCIBLE!

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:07 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Chaoxys wrote:
Sorry to double post but I think I found something. Guinea, remember that glitch I told you about where I could kill enemies just by running into them? I think it's a glitch with Waluigi only. I played through some levels and it only happens with him, and it happened often. It tends to go like this-

1. I get hurt while super thin.
2. I bounce into an enemy.
3. I'M INVINCIBLE!

Oh well that makes a lot more sense (for some reason). I'll look into it by some point in the future before ep2.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:32 am 
[*]
Quote:
Oh well that makes a lot more sense (for some reason). I'll look into it by some point in the future before ep2.

Does this mean ep1 is out yet?

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:41 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Maxence wrote:
Quote:

Does this mean ep1 is out yet?

No, Waluigi isn't in ep1, since you only play with Mario and Luigi in that one. :P

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:50 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Mkay Guinea, I have a question/request that may be a bit complicated, in terms of making it and explaining it.

Is it possible to make the player "jump" layers based on where they are? I have an idea that could be used for some really cool stuff but it would essentially require 2 layers in terms of playing fields.

I may as well just show an example of how I want to use it.

This is what I'd like to be able to do. You can move through the paintings in which they would have their own objects and physics, or you can move outside of them, at which point the painting objects wouldn't effect you. In this case, Waluigi wouldn't be able to climb even though there is a ladder in behind where he is.

As of right now, this is what would happen.

Obviously I could work with things as is and get it to work, but I think you'd agree that it would most likely look rather bad. For example, we'd have to have the area around paintings (except the bottoms) surrounded, we couldn't have the main room or painting areas come close to each other (or else we'd have situations as seen above).

The only thing I can think of to solve this would be to have an invisible checking object, and a group of "On/Off" objects that work like the basic objects we have now. If you activate the checking object (I'm guessing it would be by moving through it in a certain direction), it will turn the painting objects on, thus making them solid (it would also make the walls that cover the player take effect). If you don't activate it, the objects stay off and the walls stay behind you.

Also, the activation object would most likely be small so players couldn't jump up halfway in front of a painting and activate it. It would be small so you'd have to be in the center. Also, moving in the opposite direction would shut it off (did I already say this? I don't think I did.)

Idk, this wouldn't be needed until chapter 3 so we have plenty of time so theres no need to worry about it right away.

Also, on a different note, you may want to fix the following things before we release chapter 1:
1. Make cheep cheeps bob a bit while swimming.
2. Make it so you can't jump on cheep cheeps underwater.
3. Fix Dive Guy (he's supposed to hop like a Parakoopa, but with water physics).
4. Allow Koopa's to resume walking after hiding in their shells after a while.

I'm just basing this off of how they'd act in game. None of them are huge problems, it's just things I figured I'd point out.

Last edited by Chaoxys on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:10 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Sounds interesting, but I'm afraid the 2 layer thing won't be possible without a heavy restructuring of the engine.
However, now that you have mentioned it, it might happen that out of nowhere I get an idea on how to hack that in or that it turns out to be not as hard as I expect, so don't give your hopes up yet, since I kinda like this idea, but as of now I doubt this'll make it.

The cheeps (jumping on them) should already be fixed in the most recent version, the other things I shall fix.
I also see Glukom has uploaded some stuff? Taking a look at that.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:15 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Guinea wrote:
Sounds interesting, but I'm afraid the 2 layer thing won't be possible without a heavy restructuring of the engine.
However, now that you have mentioned it, it might happen that out of nowhere I get an idea on how to hack that in or that it turns out to be not as hard as I expect, so don't give your hopes up yet, since I kinda like this idea, but as of now I doubt this'll make it.

The cheeps (jumping on them) should already be fixed in the most recent version, the other things I shall fix.

He uploaded Syrup's battle theme. The original one Tri made. It seems when you put the slower version in, it replaced the faster (if you battle her, it gives an error and plays no music). I had Glukom add re-add the faster one since he hadn't updated yet.

Also I added a temp rain forest theme.

EDIT- I also updated the Forest Tileset with some more variation in the ground, so when you get a chance to add it to ogmo, I'd appreciate it.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:38 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Chaoxys wrote:
Guinea wrote:

He uploaded Syrup's battle theme. The original one Tri made. It seems when you put the slower version in, it replaced the faster (if you battle her, it gives an error and plays no music). I had Glukom add re-add the faster one since he hadn't updated yet.

Also I added a temp rain forest theme.

EDIT- I also updated the Forest Tileset with some more variation in the ground, so when you get a chance to add it to ogmo, I'd appreciate it.

Oh I just forgot to add the fight music, it's still there. oh well

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:46 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
So I just made a fundamental change to the game's controls, that I think changes everything for the better:

Mario's wallkick worked like this until now:
1) jump
2) approach wall
3) hold direction towards wall
4) jump

The problem reported with this a couple of times was that many people don't seem to have fast enough fingers to jump off the wall, switch from one direction to the other and so perform consecutive wall kicks.

Thus, now wallkicking works like this:
1) jump
2) approach wall
3) Mario automatically sticks to the wall if you have the direction pressed
4) jump

To let go of the wall, just press in the opposite direction, or down.
This should give players much more time to adjust their walljumps, even for me, having testplayed the game with the old control scheme for ages, I found it far more convenient right off the bat, while also having more control.

So yeah, I think you'll like it. :D

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:26 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Guinea wrote:
So I just made a fundamental change to the game's controls, that I think changes everything for the better:

Mario's wallkick worked like this until now:
1) jump
2) approach wall
3) hold direction towards wall
4) jump

The problem reported with this a couple of times was that many people don't seem to have fast enough fingers to jump off the wall, switch from one direction to the other and so perform consecutive wall kicks.

Thus, now wallkicking works like this:
1) jump
2) approach wall
3) Mario automatically sticks to the wall if you have the direction pressed
4) jump

To let go of the wall, just press in the opposite direction, or down.
This should give players much more time to adjust their walljumps, even for me, having testplayed the game with the old control scheme for ages, I found it far more convenient right off the bat, while also having more control.

So yeah, I think you'll like it. :D

Wait... does he just stick to the wall forever or does he stick for a few seconds then slide down? Having him stick forever would be odd I think.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:11 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Chaoxys wrote:
Wait... does he just stick to the wall forever or does he stick for a few seconds then slide down? Having him stick forever would be odd I think.

No, he doesn't stick. He slides down, he just remains in the "walljump" state without having to press in the opposite direction of where you want to jump.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:39 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I made some slight changed to level 1. You know the 3 mushrooms? I added some pink blocks and Ed Vice under it so the only way you can get past is to listen to him, learn about special abilities, and use them to pass. Ones you get rid of the pink blocks, it is no longer an issue.

Also, a few things that need fixing:
1. Dive Guy needs more... underwateryness... Um... I guess just slow him down a bit? He falls rather fast as is.
2. If possible, have Sharlea respawn.
3. Maybe have E Gadd give you a Red Jelly before you leave? Idk, just to introduce the player to them early.
4. Have cheep cheeps bob. I've said it before so I'm sorry to but you with it, just wanted to make sure you saw it is all.
5. Update the BGs please.
- Underwater
-Forest
- Sky (There are 2 laters of clouds, not just one)
- Peach's castle (I added a noon and night sky BG sheet since the doomship takes place at night).
6. Enemies on stage when you hit the goal should disappear or something. I was damaged by a stray koopa shell after beating a level.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:14 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Sorry for the double post but I had an idea.

Would it be possible to have a variable setting for enemies in ogmo that, if set, would send them to the front most layer when killed, when not set, they go to the farthest back layer (or vice versa. Set is back, default is front).

This would be an incredibly useful feature since it would save us the trouble of having to carefully set enemies around layers. For example, you know how when you can walk through trees, thats done with a combination of front and back layers? It would save me a LOT of time and trouble, and give me more options if I could pick where the killed enemy fell instead of having it pass through different layers.

This isn't needed by chapter 1 or anything, I'm just saying that it would be nice in the future.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:00 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Chaoxys wrote:
Sorry for the double post but I had an idea.

Would it be possible to have a variable setting for enemies in ogmo that, if set, would send them to the front most layer when killed, when not set, they go to the farthest back layer (or vice versa. Set is back, default is front).

This would be an incredibly useful feature since it would save us the trouble of having to carefully set enemies around layers. For example, you know how when you can walk through trees, thats done with a combination of front and back layers? It would save me a LOT of time and trouble, and give me more options if I could pick where the killed enemy fell instead of having it pass through different layers.

This isn't needed by chapter 1 or anything, I'm just saying that it would be nice in the future.

No, this wouldn't make sense, since enemies can in theory go from their original position to another one, and this "setting" wouldn't work anymore. The only way to achieve what you want is to check their position dynamically in the game. Which I'll see if there is a way to do that efficiently.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next  [ 518 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked