Forum rules

NOTE: This forum is for discussion of the Midas Machine MFGG Project ONLY.

DO NOT POST if it is not relevant to "Midas Machine."

Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next  [ 518 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Engine
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:11 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Just noticed something odd. It seems when a horizontal flying Parakoopa gets to the end of it's path, it switches to vertical.

On a side note Guinea, if you haven't tried the game with the new music yet, I'd suggest trying it.

EDIT-
I went into the goldshroom room with the key, and when I exited, I popped up here.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:52 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hey Guinea, just wanted to let you know that if you get a chance to upload the current version of the new ghost house tiles, and the new castle tiles into ogmo, I should be able to finish 3 levels or so (more or less completing would 3, a could objects aside).

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:21 am 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^done

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:00 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Well Guinea, I may have just dropped some of the work load. Basically, I've come up with three new level ideas to replace the fake out prop level (the one we were talking about a while back where there would be fake walls and items), the Gredi key chase level (formally the Clockwork Hall), and the Boohemoth level. The new levels won't require anything new (aside from the completed shadow player, and a certain Static fellow), and should still be fun.

The plus side is that even if we drop these gimmicks, we can always use them again later on in an ordinary ghost house if we want to.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:31 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Sounds good and i almost forgot about the shadow clones.
They should be really useful.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:21 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
The only other thing I'd need is a wind object. Basically what we have for the train, but without the shaking.

EDIT- Oh yeah, for some reason, the sheets show up as updated in ogmo, but in the game they revert to the last version of them. Also, Peach's Castle is no longer transparent.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:54 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Spoiler:

More or less spoilered that because I wanted you to see this first. I only need what I described above if you have time to make it. It is not needed right now, I can add place holders in the mean time.

EDIT- Huh... I think I fixed what I assumed was a bug. Remember a while back when I said that Spiny Eggs wouldn't spawn? From what I can tell, if you place them within one block of the edge of the screen (top or botton (idk if it works with the sides, I haven't tried that). they seem to despawn. Don't worry about looking into this or anything. Now that I know what the issue is, it's super easy to avoid. Btw, check out the second room in the Pyramid level. I remade it using the now working Spiny eggs. It's pretty fun imo, and a bit challenging.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:00 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hmmm... I ran into another issue I'm having trouble with. I made the second room to the grotto level (World 3-3) and for some reason it instant kills me right at the start.

Found 2 more bugs. While on the rocket, any coins you grab (even if you aren't speeding) are doubled, resulting in a way too high amount of coins.

ALso, if you fill the goal star in that same level, the character will ignore the minigame and walk off screen anyways.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:04 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Downloaded the whole thing again to try it.

Captain Syrup is broken. She dies in one hit now and since the fight isn't scripted to end after one hit you're stuck.
Also restarting from the beginning of a level uses up a life.
There are a bunch of mushrooms too that I assume should have pink blocks around them but don't.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:25 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^The captain Syrup one is the only bug here, I guess I changed something somewhere which causes this, so I have to fix it. Ty for pointing it out.

The loss of lives is intentional now.

Because everyone hates senseless backtracking, those pink blocks that just exist to block mushrooms off don't exist anymore. The plot will accommodate for this.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:15 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hey Guinea, just noticed that I forgot to make the jump animation for the boss. I'll try and have it up by tomorrow. Also, I think the current way the jump works is nice, but could use some tweaking. Right now it's not really a threat since he goes so slow/falls slow, and he continues to move just before he falls. Maybe once he's over you, he could fall faster without going any further (or maybe that would work better for after he's taken a few hits to make him harder?)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:33 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Is there a reason why the loss of lives is intentional now? I thought that when we designed it the idea was that they weren't really lives but pipes. It doesn't make sense for you to use up a pipe if you're going all of the way back to the start. The lives system is pretty dated and doesn't really have a purpose in games anymore which I thought was the reason we were using checkpoints instead. Also right now you can just select "No" to "Do you want to play from the start?" and it boots you out of the level without eating up a pipe.

Yeah I guess the back tracking could be annoying. You should probably make those mushrooms be golden then and change the speech of that one toad in iirc the first level that tells you all the mushrooms have been harvested to "There are only golden mushrooms left." or something.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:15 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
EDIT- just gonna sum up my original post with this:

The main point is for the player to be more careful in the first half so they have the extra lives in the second half. If you only lost them after the checkpoint, you'd be able to act like an idiot in the first half with no consequences, which is made even worse when you consider that most of the Challenge Levels (Retro Run for example) don't have checkpoints at all. Honestly though, I would like there to be more of a reason to not want to lose lives. Like maybe if you lose them all in a level, you lose all of the goldshrooms you've collected on that specific run of the level or something, but that can wait for later.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:43 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

That sort of penalty would make more sense - starting the level from the very beginning, though, is pretty much a reason not to die in the first place. Unless there's specific save points and the game doesn't save after every level, then I'd still prefer the old "lives are checkpoints" system, since losing all your lives at the beginning of the level just... starts you off at the beginning of the level again with a new set of lives. Not much of a penalty (and in fact, would directly inspire dying on purpose to reset with more lives on the next level, which some would see as a boon). The original checkpoint system was one of the things I liked most about the original demo (and is what inspired my own life-lost penalties in Classic).

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:12 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Well, I guess it'd be up to Guinea on whether or not it changes back or stays the same. I guess it would work either way honestly so I'd be okay with it changing back. The main reason I was for the change in the first place was to make lives feel more valuable since there weren't many ? Block rewards in the game at the time, but thats less of an issue now.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:39 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Chaoxys wrote:
EDIT- just gonna sum up my original post with this:

The main point is for the player to be more careful in the first half so they have the extra lives in the second half. If you only lost them after the checkpoint, you'd be able to act like an idiot in the first half with no consequences, which is made even worse when you consider that most of the Challenge Levels (Retro Run for example) don't have checkpoints at all. Honestly though, I would like there to be more of a reason to not want to lose lives. Like maybe if you lose them all in a level, you lose all of the goldshrooms you've collected on that specific run of the level or something, but that can wait for later.
That just sounds like adding needless frustration to me. Retro Run is frustrating enough without having to lose lives because not only are you sent back to the start with no checkpoints but you have to collect all of the red coins again. The later halves of some stages are pretty hard too so you'll need those checkpoints then (Tanoomba, Airship). Some of the news levels that I've tried are pretty frustrating on their own (Dizzy Desert and Big Cactus) without you adding artificial difficulty. I'm not in charge of game design in the slightest but I'd rather have people play recklessly than stop playing after getting frustrated.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:53 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Dizzy Desert is also a Challenge level.

Also, the reason Retro Run lacks a checkpoint (and the reason dizzy desert should also lack one) is because the game doesn't save your red coin total, so if you start at a checkpoint, you'd have to back track to get all of the coins anyways. I left them out as more of way to avoid frustration. I guess in the end I could add them in easy to avoid areas so the player can pick to get it or not.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:16 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
The point about the lives is true. It was a solution to the problem that you could just accumulate lives without losing any in the first portion of a level. The better solution would be though, to just not put lives in the beginnings of levels. I'll change the system back to how it was for the next update, Chaoxys needs to update the levels with what I just said.

Anyway one thing I'm interested in from the point of view of testplayers: how do you feel about the coin balance per level? Too few? Too many? Enough?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:08 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I don't think the coin amount can be judged until we have a use for said coins honestly, but thats just my opinion.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:27 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
The coin amount can be judged, because the goal roulette needs to be triggered at a satisfying rate.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next  [ 518 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked