Forum rules

NOTE: This forum is for discussion of the Midas Machine MFGG Project ONLY.

DO NOT POST if it is not relevant to "Midas Machine."

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next  [ 325 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Music and Sound
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:24 am 
we own the night
[*]
[*]
Guinea wrote:
and he used the same series of notes through-out the entire game

Really? Is there an interview with Koji Kondo where he says that he didn't like it?

Wikipedia wrote:
The entirety of the music heard in the game, with the exception of the music played in the title screen, the credits, the overworld map, special world, bonus stages, level completion, the star road, and fighting Bowser, is a variation on the same melody.

Uhm, that doesn't answer your question at all but I thought it was interesting to put into perspective the scale of what Yoshiman said. Pretty much every song outside of fanfares and menu screens used the same notes (albeit in different keys, time signatures, and tonalities). As for Kondo-san's supposed dislike of the music, I cannot say. I've searched the internet for any sort of article or interview, but to no avail.

Also: yes I am working on Bowser's theme.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:35 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29310757/ug.ogg

underground theme

if you think it needs to be longer/needs any major fixes, let me know

[us]
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:52 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
2 things I just noticed.

1. Around :21, that piano part is a bit loud compared to the rest.

2. There is a small hickup when it loops.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:25 am 
we own the night
[*]
[*]
Chaoxys wrote:
2 things I just noticed.

1. Around :21, that piano part is a bit loud compared to the rest.

2. There is a small hickup when it loops.

It probably only sounds louder because the sound is higher. Without getting too scientific, the lower the sound, the harder it is to hear. My point being: the part at :21 approaches a middle pressure most of us hear best.
I'm probably justifying the perceived loudness waaaaaay to adamantly for what it's worth... haha. Just a slide of the volume notch will fix everything right up (like I'm one to talk anyways, what with my unbalanced monstrosities).

And the hiccup might just be the player's fault, but I can't confirm that.

In other news, I recommend someone normalize all the music once it's done to keep it all at least somewhat consistent in terms of volume and dynamic range. The differing sound qualities and varied instrumentation are inevitable, but balancing the volume amongst all the songs would help a lot.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:44 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Believe it or not those notes actually are louder, I just realized. Just slightly, but yeah my bad lmao

I'll fix that (and hopefully whatever's wrong with the loop) in a bit.

[us]
 Post subject: Apply for Game Musician?
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:04 pm 
Mt. Lavalava and all that jazz
[*]
[*]
[*]
I would love to make some of the music for the Midas Machine. I'm no professional, but I'm best at making darker themes. However, I'd love to challenge myself to put together some pieces in styles I've never tried. Mostly, I just want to somehow be part of an MFGG project again. I've been working on a fangame for a very long time, but due to other, more important interests/hobbies/things, and the lack of programming involved, over the years I've just let it die. Anyway, do check out my music below to see an example of what I can do, and see if it meets the expectations of what the game has to offer..

Kpp's Music
http://phpbb.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12442

YouTube | Tumblr | Twitter

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Apply for Game Musician?
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:25 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
We actually already have a topic for stuff like this:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12052&start=40

Anyways, always happy to have someone interested in helping, especially with music. You like making darker stuff eh? Well, we do have a ghost world planned, maybe you'd be interested in that? Although even then it would still be pretty light hearted for the most part.

Hmmm... You know, there may actually be a song or two that could use a slightly darker touch, although it involves some serious spoilers, so first I want to make sure you'd be interested (and okay with having the later plot spoiled). If so then I'll PM you the details. If you are interested in the ghost world stuff however, thats much easier as it's your basic stuff. We'd need a basic OW map theme, ouside level theme, ghost house theme (we may just use the cave theme from the demo for that though) and the world boss theme.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Apply for Game Musician?
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:58 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
I whipped this up today. Would this be a good OW map theme? I would very interested in composing the music for the ghost world, or for almost anything in the game.

Ghost World - Overworld Map
http://soundcloud.com/the_dirt/ghost-world-map

I've been curious as to whether or not you have any future forest/rainforest/swamp/marsh levels, because those are my absolute favorite, not only visually, but musically as well. I'm good at lightening songs up though; it's actually more difficult to craft darker work, but more fun in my opinion. If anything, my strongest points are ambient themes.

Oh and yes, go ahead and send me the PM. I don't mind spoilers; I haven't even played the first Midas Machine haha

[us]
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:00 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
I made this today for the Midas Machine. I'd be interested in composing some of the music for this game. I would so love to be a part of an MFGG project after all these years x_x

Ghost World - Overworld Map
http://soundcloud.com/the_dirt/ghost-world-map

[us]
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:30 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
That might work rather well, especially since the ghost world is on top of a snowy mountain. Your song reflects the emptiness and coldness of the mountain, and still retains the mysteriousness and spookiness of the ghost theme.

My only concern is that it doesn't sound like it's really from a Mario game. Now, don't get me wrong, if you were to change it, I wouldn't want it changed much, I'm just wondering if changing the instruments could give it more of a Mario vibe without killing the current quality.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:16 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Here's a new version of the track, hopefully a bit more Mario-ish. I changed some instruments and added a little more percussion.

Ghost World - Overworld Map 2
http://soundcloud.com/the_dirt/ghost-world-map-2

That's probably my biggest problem; I don't necessarily know how to make a piece sound like a Mario song. But I can practice nonetheless

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:58 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Sounds better.

As for how to make it more Mario like, Mario songs tend to have a prominent tune in them that is fairly simple. Something that you hear and you'll start humming it throughout the day.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:59 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Here are the three themes for BossM of the Midas Machine. I made them all today, and I can change these up a lot - they're definitely not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with how the chaotic theme turned out. Do tell me what you think

BossM - Calm
http://soundcloud.com/the_dirt/final-boss-calm

BossM - Turning
http://soundcloud.com/the_dirt/final-boss-turning

BossM - Chaotic
http://soundcloud.com/the_dirt/bossm-chaotic

Last edited by King Piranha Plant on Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:16 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Those sound really good, although I'm wondering if Chaotic is chaotic enough, although now that I think about it, if used simply for cutscenes it would be perfect, but I'm not sure if it would work in the actual fight, although that could change when I actually hear it during the fight. It just feels like it's building up to something the whole time, like this amazing climactic part or something...

Hmmm... Considering the fact that this is a part that is important to the game, maybe mix in the main theme or something? Idk.

EDIT- It just hit me that I never actually told you how that battle goes which may have helped you, sorry. I can PM it to you if you want.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:35 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Sorry it took me forever to respond to this. :whoops: Go ahead and PM me the details of the battle. I'm a bit confused on how to make the song more chaotic, but I recently changed it to at least sound more epic. Listen to this newer version and tell me what you think:

BossM - Chaotic (Final Boss Theme)
http://soundcloud.com/the_dirt/chaos-final-bossm-theme

[ph]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:31 pm 
A fox with class
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I like it! But I don't think it sounds Final Boss-y enough. For me I was waiting for a high note which will pressure the player that it's the Final Battle. There's one part near the ending that did that. I'm not really sure. I'm not an expert at that. But I think it could be used for equally-fitting cutscenes.

Minus World Secret Santa Gifts: 2011- Dane
MFGG Secret Santa Gifts: 2012- McKnackus I ~ 2015-LuNiney ~ 2016-Mors 1 2

Refs drawn/sprited by other MFGG Members:
Doc ~ DragezeeY ~ Friendly Dictator ~ Mit ~ Wiwa

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:25 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Maybe I'll try adding some higher notes. This is the first boss theme I've ever put together, so it's a tad confusing. I was trying to work off inspiration from some of the Paper Mario series' final boss themes, so that gives me some ideas for "high-pitched fragments." Thanks for the feedback man

[ph]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:34 am 
A fox with class
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I think I used the wrong term of high. I think I meant a little louder and fast, so it will give that frantic feeling. Also, what do you use in making sounds?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:22 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Reason. It's a synthesizer program that tries to visually imitate real synthesizers, so it feels a bit cheesy and overwhelming at the same time when you first start using it. It's not half bad though

[ph]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:32 am 
A fox with class
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Ahhh. Ok thanks! I was just curious and all.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next  [ 325 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked