[ 20 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [zz]
 Post subject: All-New! Super Mario World (Pre-Demo Available)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:44 am 
Story:

The story is pretty much your standard bowser kidnaps peach and takes her to his castle. You must save the princess...again!

Gameplay:

A-NSMW will play like your standard SMB game with gimmicks from previous mario games including; SMB, SMB2, SMB3, SMW, NSMB

Graphics:

The game will feature a colorful aesthetic art style with custom sprites, graphics and lots of catchy music :D

Engine:

The game is being developed on Gatate Mario Engine v8.5.1

Demo:

You will be able to play the demo when it's released April 10th. Lots of work and polish is going into this game and I want it to be a fun and exciting all-new adventure! :thumbsup:

Screenshots:

That's all for now! If you're excited about this project, comment and stay tuned for updates. Gameplay video coming next week :thumbsup:

Last edited by Superfly on Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[us]
 Post subject: Re: (All-New) Super Mario World
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:49 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

The story might not win any prizes for originality, but the world map looks really cool.

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:25 am 
[*]
[*]
I think you should change the title of that, it sounds like it's a rom hack.
Superfly wrote:
A-NSMW will play like your standard SMB game with gimmicks from previous mario games including; SMB, SMB2, SMB3, SMW, NSMB

Where's the All New stuff?

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:05 am 
I think you should change the title of that, it sounds like it's a rom hack.

Well, the plan was to make it a smw rom hack from the beginning. But seeing as what I could do with GameMaker and the creative freedom it gave me made me switch gears.
So yeah, I won't be changing the title of the game. Think of it as an unofficial sequel to the SMW games, Like what nintendo did with NSMB

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:29 pm 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Seems fun. Good work with the sprites.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:03 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

This looks like a great project! I'm looking forward to updates.

The sprite work is pretty impressive. I like the style. Did you make them?

Also it's just a generally gorgeous game. The resolution, the colors, etc. I can't wait to play it! :D

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:09 pm 
A forgotten forum.
[*]
[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:

Also it's just a generally gorgeous game. The resolution, the colors, etc. I can't wait to play it! :D

Took the words right out of my mouth, Hylian.

I grew up with phpbb, and I won't let those memories go to waste.

If any of the staff members can see this, please, let us revisit these forums. They were one of the best parts of my MFGG experience.

~Kirb Berry

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:48 pm 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

The colors work so well together, if nothing else this game will be pleasant on the eyes :)
Can't wait to see gameplay!

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:27 pm 
Here we go.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Neat game with the engine, is this your first time, doing something like this? The sprites are really good and the colors are awesome on the eyes, good job.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:37 pm 
HylianDev wrote:

Thank you! and yes, I made the sprites myself

YoshiEgos wrote:
Neat game with the engine, is this your first time, doing something like this? The sprites are really good and the colors are awesome on the eyes, good job.

This is my first time yes, i've been playing around with the engine testing things out. I have some programming knowledge, but not enough to build an entire game, but i'm confident I can get it done with the engine provided

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:09 am 
I didn't deliver on that gameplay video like I promised, but instead i'll let you guys try the game out for yourselves and give me your feedback. It would be appreciated!!

This is a PRE-DEMO before the actual demo and only 1 level is playable. Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jghyes89wse847z/All-New%21+Super+Mario+World.zip

Last edited by Superfly on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[br]
 Post subject: Re: (All-New!) Super Mario World (Pre-Demo Available)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:21 am 
[*]
[*]
The resolution of the pre-demo is so low the game didn't even fit in. I have tried running the game in compatibility mode but it also didn't fit. It only did fit in the window preview screen (that one that shows when you hover over an program).

I tried changing the window size manually to 1 in settings and it made an difference, but it wasn't fully showing the game yet, and after that i tried changing it to 0, it did work, but the game looked weird.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:49 am 
The resolution of the pre-demo is so low the game didn't even fit in. I have tried running the game in compatibility mode but it also didn't fit. It only did fit in the window preview screen (that one that shows when you hover over an program).

I tried changing the window size manually to 1 in settings and it made an difference, but it wasn't fully showing the game yet, and after that i tried changing it to 0, it did work, but the game looked weird.

Post a screenshot please. I swapped the download with a different one so try it and see if it works out for you

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:48 pm 
Subscribe to my channel stay updated on gameplay and new levels. *Gameplay video in spoiler*

:thumbsup:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Superfly on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[es]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:29 pm 
I'm just a little adorable kitty :3
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I really like what are you doing with my engine.

If you ever need help with the engine, be sure to hop on the discord server I set.
https://discord.gg/7PZX4uY

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:33 pm 
[*]
[*]
Superfly wrote:
Post a screenshot please. I swapped the download with a different one so try it and see if it works out for you

It doesn't look weird anymore.
Also, i have noticed some issues:

Raccoon Mario is too slow while flying;
(Minor) Noteblocks don't make that "impulse" before Mario going up. I hope you know what i mean;
Why the **** is the veggie pick-up button assigned to the run button? couldn't you make it so you have to press down AND the run button to pick it?
(Minor) The fire-flower looks somewhat like an golden flower.

Edit: And i accidentally pressed a button that switched Mario to the SMB3 Gatete engine Luigi. But as people say, It's a bug, not a feature, right?

Another edit: Feature, not a bug*
I didn't purposely switch those, seriously.

Even another edit: And that Luigi has broken animations.
The edit i though it would be the last but it wasn't: Image of broken SMB3 Luigi: (big image)
Spoiler:

I also edited this to put the spoiler, so yea. And now, to fix the spoiler.

It wasn't the last edit, this message is part of the last edit: It switches to Luigi with the dismount button on the world map, it can also switch back to Mario.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:17 am 
Gatete wrote:
I really like what are you doing with my engine.

If you ever need help with the engine, be sure to hop on the discord server I set.
https://discord.gg/7PZX4uY

Thank you! I love your engines, and I joined your discord.

Also, If you guys manage to find any bugs are graphical glitches report them to me. I need honest opinions and constructive feedback so that way I can know what to improve on.

The final demo will be 1-2 hours long with 9+levels, you will not be able to proceed without collecting star medals as those are your keys for unlocking new levels!

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:23 am 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
That level looks super cool overall, but the use of veggies is kinda weird and arbitrary. They don't really add anything to the level design here, and make the game design rather weak, imo (mixing SMB2 and SMB3 is usually clunky because veggies don't do anything that cant be done with other methods in SMB3).

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:20 am 
Willsaber wrote:
That level looks super cool overall, but the use of veggies is kinda weird and arbitrary. They don't really add anything to the level design here, and make the game design rather weak, imo (mixing SMB2 and SMB3 is usually clunky because veggies don't do anything that cant be done with other methods in SMB3).

You say its arbitrary but that's half true. The reason they're even there is to be another method of attacking enemies without jumping on them. This is useful when encountering an enemy with spikes or if you're in a tight spot that doesn't lend itself to jumping and you got enemies coming. Veggies are especially useful when you're either big or small mario. I might just make all the smb 2 grass items veggies of different sizes and shapes instead of just random coins

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:02 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Superfly wrote:
You say its arbitrary but that's half true. The reason they're even there is to be another method of attacking enemies without jumping on them. This is useful when encountering an enemy with spikes or if you're in a tight spot that doesn't lend itself to jumping and you got enemies coming.

Those are both applications of veggies, but spiked enemies can be overcome with the Spin Jump, and being in a tight spot without much space to jump is a very rare situation that is not relevant to most of a Mario game, and certainly none of this level in particular. If anything, they'd lend themselves better to a unique gimmick for a veggie level, where throwing them at waves of enemies which can't be easily overcome otherwise would make more sense.

Superfly wrote:
Veggies are especially useful when you're either big or small mario. I might just make all the smb 2 grass items veggies of different sizes and shapes instead of just random coins

Doesn't that somewhat defeat the purpose of having offense power-ups in the first place? The fireflower isn't very important when most obstacles it's useful against can just be defeated with a nearby veggie. Granted those are limited in supply, but it does still weaken the game design. They mattered in Super Mario Bros. 2 because enemies could not be quickly defeated just by stomping on them (they had to be picked up using the same veggie-pulling mechanic, and it leaves you vulnerable for a short time), and there were no power-ups besides the invincibility star, which was temporary.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 20 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic