[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hello, everybody! I would like to present Battle in the Future to all of you, which is a Mario fangame that I started to make in September 2016 and finished it in September 2017. It takes place just after The Flooded Tower and borrows mechanics from both The Flooded Tower and A Typical Day, but if you haven't played those games yet, you should hopefully still be able to enjoy this game. There are just two boss fights in this game. Here's a couple links:

Download Battle in the Future!
View the game on the main site!

Click the button below to see a few screenshots if you're interested:

Spoiler:

I hope you'll enjoy it, and feedback is appreciated! Also, thanks to VinnyVideo and SonicZetrex for beta-testing the game and providing helpful feedback!

Last edited by Q-Nova on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Battle in the Future
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:03 pm 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

It's a really fun game! The graphics are very charming. I've written a much more in-depth review that should hopefully be up soon, but here is a summary of my thoughts:

The Koopa battle is really good. I love the progression of difficulty that takes place. I would've liked to see him bobbing up and down a bit as he hovers in place, just to make him feel more alive.

The Antasma battle is really fun too, but I have a few issues with it:
- The hands are my main issue. Having them damage the player while idle seems unnecessary to me. There's already so much going on in the foreground that, while they do add to the difficulty, they seem a bit unfair. I think this is in part due to them not looking like they are part of the foreground. The purple outline on Antasma kind of ties them into the background, making them seem like they shouldn't hurt the player. When they're moving and break away from the outline it's clear, but while they're still it's not so clear. I think having them only damage when moving can fix this issue, but if you want them to hurt the player always you could change the outline color on Antasma, perhaps to white (though I do very much like the purple outline, so I'd personally go with the first fix).
- The amount of debris that falls during the later parts of the battle is a bit much in my opinion. I'd just tone that down slightly.
- The bouncing bombs are really unpredictable, which is a cool aspect of them. This does cause problems though, as in the later portions of the battle depending on the way they bounce they can be unavoidable.

Otherwise I really enjoyed the game! The technical graphical downgrade makes it hard to connect as a sequel to The Flooded Tower, but that's no big deal. It was a fun challenge. I didn't read carefully so I didn't know you could alter the difficulty, so it took me quite a while to defeat Antasma. The graphics are really beautiful, I really loved the cutscene. And that thwomp was a great touch.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:55 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

As a beta tester, I've already played it, but this was a fun experience. Big boss battles are difficult to make, and you did a good job of making it challenging but not insanely so.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:05 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Thanks for the feedback, guys! Also, I'd like to mention that I added a link to the game on the main site in the original post.

@Evil Yoshi Toes: It's nice to hear that you had fun with it! I'm certainly looking forward to seeing your review on the game. :) I do agree that it might be nice to have the Koopa bob up and down a bit while hovering in place. I suppose the hands are rather unnecessary obstacles while stiff when you're trying to avoid other things. Looking back at the falling debris part, I do think there is a bit too much debris falling in the second time, I think having 10 instead of 15 falling would be better. If you observe the Bob-Balls carefully, you might see that all they do is move forward, turn back each time they touch the walls, with its bounces getting gradually lower. After some time, they'll stop bouncing and explode. I think it's easier to find ways to avoid them and predict them if you know how they behave.

I guess it is weird to have the graphics go backwards from a technical standpoint while the story is moving forward. :laugh: I think it would've made more sense if The Flooded Tower and Battle in the Future switched art styles, but oh well. I had quite some fun making the story sequences, so it's nice to see that at least one person likes it! :biggrin:

@VinnyVideo: Yeah, making the Antasma boss fight took quite a long time. I think it's the most complicated boss I have ever finished so far. It's nice to see that all of the work seems to have paid off well, though. :)

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 4 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic