[*]

[*]
[*]

My god.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
 Post subject: Re: Minus Galaxy ROM Hack
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:21 am 
Hey there! Some may know me from SMWC or the 1-Up World Discord server. I saw the post about this being a thing on twitter and wanted to jump right on.
I could probably make a level or two.
I joined the Discord and in case anyone wants to see something about my abilities of smw hacking they might consider looking at the thread of my wip hack.

https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=86713&page=1&pid=1379050#p1379050

I will keep on lurking on the Discord server since I am probably going to be way more active there then here. I will update the post when I decided on what type of levels I want to make.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:39 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
WIP progress of Diantha's city level!

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:39 am 
do you guys need anymore sprites ? i can do some small enemy sprites if needed ! :biggrin:

[tt]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:51 pm 
:D
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Should I just start making music that COULD be used for a Mario level? Then just see where they fit? I'm sure music is a long way off thouugh.

[kp]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:41 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
Parakarry wrote:
Should I just start making music that COULD be used for a Mario level? Then just see where they fit? I'm sure music is a long way off thouugh.

What would help you come up with music ideas? I guess when it comes to Super Mario World the music is based on the level themes- have we decided on what level themes are going to be in this game? The city level looks neat, I'd love to hear some mario city tunes (maybe incoporate some of the wario land city music in there too)

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:58 pm 
Am a girl
[*]
[*]

Quote:
have we decided on what level themes are going to be in this game? The city level looks neat, I'd love to hear some mario city tunes (maybe incoporate some of the wario land city music in there too)

Quote:
Grassland
Desert
Beach
Chocolate (Mountain)
City/Industrial
Space
Ice
Cave
Water
Sky
Castle
Ghost House
Bonus/Switch Palace
Yoshi’s House
Town
Forest

also Parakarry, we've actually started doing music so give Dustin, Cruise or Spritey a PM to find out more!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:58 am 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Thanks to Stir, a look at Syax's Minus Galaxy level with graphics still a WIP.

phpBB [video]

More information on this community project: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20605

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:52 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
phpBB [video]

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:22 pm 
A forgotten forum.
[*]
[*]
[*]
Why are most of the graphics messed up in the game? Bushes in the title screen, the text that shows when Mario/Luigi enter a level, is that a simple fix or is it something more complex? The level looks great, but those glitched graphics seem unnerving to me.

I grew up with phpbb, and I won't let those memories go to waste.

If any of the staff members can see this, please, let us revisit these forums. They were one of the best parts of my MFGG experience.

~Kirb Berry

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:24 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
The glitched graphics are because this is a work in progress. Those aren't even the grassland tiles they're using, the tiles just haven't been patched into the game yet afaik.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:46 pm 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
Pedigree wrote:
phpBB [video]

I wish there was more I could say, but this is so incredibly unmemorable that I've already forgotten most of the level after I was done watching. Not only does this feel just as aimlessly designed as the other level, but that moment at 1:58 where you have that pit with cement blocks like in SMB's 1-1 - what the heck is the point of it? In SMB it had two near-identical versions of that obstacle right before it to teach the player in an organic way how to overcome that kind of obstacle. This, on the other hand, doesn't feel organic - it feels like it comes right outta nowhere with absolutely no foreshadowing (just like the rest of the level really) and it's supposed to be a contender for first level?

I know I am a disliked big poopy meanie pants around these parts, but the levels so far are unbelievably unimpressive. You guys really need to get together and learn how to design levels.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:30 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Vertette wrote:
I wish there was more I could say, but this is so incredibly unmemorable that I've already forgotten most of the level after I was done watching. Not only does this feel just as aimlessly designed as the other level, but that moment at 1:58 where you have that pit with cement blocks like in SMB's 1-1 - what the heck is the point of it? In SMB it had two near-identical versions of that obstacle right before it to teach the player in an organic way how to overcome that kind of obstacle. This, on the other hand, doesn't feel organic - it feels like it comes right outta nowhere with absolutely no foreshadowing (just like the rest of the level really) and it's supposed to be a contender for first level?

I know I am a disliked big poopy meanie pants around these parts, but the levels so far are unbelievably unimpressive. You guys really need to get together and learn how to design levels.

https://personalexcellence.co/blog/cons ... criticism/

I recommend you read this, because not only is your feedback more arrogance and insult than constructive but you make vague criticisms about it being "aimlessly designed, unmemorable and unimpressive" that people can do little with until you go into detail about what makes them so aimlessly designed, unmemorable or unimpressive to you. Assuming people don't know how to design levels while also lumping all levels together without providing specific feedback is especially unhelpful.

Out of this entire post, you really only gave one specific criticism despite implying the levels are wholly problematic then linked to a couple guides in a passive aggressive manner. The rest is just rudeness for the sake of it while you allude to the fact that you are considered to be rude around here instead of taking such feedback yourself to improve your image as a member of this community.

This is a community project and I recommend you find a better way to contribute to it than talking down everyone's efforts in a way that cannot be used to better the end product.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:48 pm 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
Pedigree wrote:
I recommend you read this, because not only is your feedback more arrogance and insult than constructive but you make vague criticisms about it being "aimlessly designed, unmemorable and unimpressive" that people can do little with until you go into detail about what makes them so aimlessly designed, unmemorable or unimpressive to you. Assuming people don't know how to design levels while also lumping all levels together without providing specific feedback is especially unhelpful.

I already gave specific criticism concerning the hack's level design earlier on that wasn't acknowledged in this thread, nor was it apparently taken into account, and I don't know what to tell you further without constantly repeating myself. The shown levels so far don't feel hand-crafted, instead they feel like someone slapped arbitrary level elements together in a blender. There's no build-up to anything, nor does it flow very well because of that. You could scramble around the level screens randomly and not lose much. I really can't say much further because I can't tell whether the level is good or bad at what it's trying to do because it's hard to tell what it is trying to do, if it is trying to do anything in particular that is.

The previously shown level at least had a theme I suppose. That's a good first step.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:37 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Do not worry friend, I am reading everyone's comments about my stages and am always taking them into consideration. I definitely do lean towards a very segmented style of level design that may not lend itself well to this kind of game but I'll continue to try to do better.

It won't be an overnight change but with careful continued feedback I will do my best to meet everyone's expectations.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:11 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
On some level, I must agree with Vertette's verdict, but considering that this is intended to be a first level, I think its design principals are very appropriate. The level largely reminds me of 1-1 in NEW Super Mario Bros. I especially appreciate how carefully it teaches wall-jumping to the player.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:48 am 
[*]
I didn't say this in my critique, but now I feel I have to. I like the option there for the Dragon Coin under the sliding area to use wall jump - which is enthused by the height. I love the 1 ups. Can't wait to see how you improve on it.

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:01 am 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I mostly just toned down enemy placement and added some jumpy pirahnas to make make the level a little more interesting. I also removed the meme SMB1 block formations and changed some pit sizes to make a more consistent difficulty curve.

Also you were right, I was missing an enemy in the star segment, I might have deleted it by accident I dunno lol.

User page at mfgg.net

[zw]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:05 am 
[*]
[*]
cool ass level, lots of variety
i love the little coins on the wall jump walls. adds some extra challenge if you want to be swag

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:04 pm 
a while back I did a thing:
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=82546
http://jimbo1qaz.github.io/dropbox/smw- ... astered.7z
http://jimbo1qaz.github.io/dropbox/smw- ... red-src.7z

Does this seem at all interesting? Though the sound effects sound bad.

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 80 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic