[ 11 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
Fungi Cappani, A android platformer with spores
 [de]
 Post subject: Fungi Cappani
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:52 am 
The Hirsen

ImageIntroductionImage

Fungi Cappani is a game developed by Hiro-sofT alone (however this might change in the future). It’s a mobile Jump ’n’ Run game for Android which will be made with the Game Maker Studio software. I might make a Windows version too. Many inspirations from this game are coming from classics like the Kirby series. This game is about a Fungi (a humanoid mushroom race) called Cappani, who possess the ability to float with her mushroom cap.

ImageTrailerImage
(Currently not available)

ImageScreenshotsImage

Newest screens:

Older screenshots:

More are coming soon as time passes...
These screenshots are prototype screenshots from a prototype build of the game. Anything on these screenshots can differ from the final version of this game and therefore they doesn’t represent the final versions experience.

ImageGameplayImage

In order to beat the game you must reach the goal in every required level of each world. To complete a world you have to beat its main boss. You must overcome a number of obstacles and challenges on your journey.

Beside the basic ability to jump and run, Cappanis mushroom cap allows her to float and reach slightly higher or further places. For example, she can fly by using an upward stream of a wind tunnel.

In order to defend herself from enemies, she can use her spores to fight back, which can be released by certain actions (mainly through landing or by using her floaty hat). Cappanis spores can also being used for many other things rather than combat. Use them wisely to overcome obstacles in the world Cappani is living in.

ImageStoryImage
A long time ago…

There was once a cute, little mushroom girl. She was called Cappani. Cappani is a cheerful and a bit shy Fungi, who is living with her parents on the Fine Fields. One day, her parents received a mysterious letter from the great king himself. It was an invitation to her parents to an audience with the great king, who wanted to show all his kindness to the inhabitants of his land. Her parents began to prepare for their visit at the Sweet Sanctum, the place where the king lives. Before they gone, they asked Cappani to keep an eye on their home and to take care of herself.

Since then, a week passed. Cappani got nervous and was unsure, if she should keep on waiting. But she is not a girl, who’s breaking promises. So she decided to keep waiting, hoping, that she will hear form her parents soon. Suddenly, during this night, her sleep was disturbed by loud and unknown noises. Scared by the noises, she jumped out of her bed and ran outside. The little Fungi was shocked. She saw a bunch of soldiers, who were about to steal all kinds of stuff from her home. Being caught redhanded the soldiers began to run away with some of the valuable items of Cappani and her parents. Cappani begins to chase after them.

Will Cappani get the stolen items back from her home? What happened to her parents? Why did the soldiers have stolen their belongings in the first place?

Looks like, an adventure is about to begin…

ImageFeatures (more like “what it will feature“ or “what I will try to make it feature“)Image

· A great Jump ’n’ Run adventure based on the Kirby series
· Six worlds with 48 different levels to overcome (includes boss and bonus levels)
· Collectables (squid coins for unlockable stuff is one of them)
· Dangerous mid bosses and bosses with a great variety of attacks and patterns
· Custom crafted graphic assets, which are all drawn in a cute and colorful art style
· [b]A simple story, which is easy to follow
· An advanced shop system (will include something like negotiations, discounts, offers and even a cute shop owner)
· In-game achievements (for bragging rights)
· Three minigames to play are included (A puzzle game called ”Train Tracks”, a reaction dungeon crawler named ”Cavern Quest” and a third minigame, which I still have no idea for)
· And a lot of more secrets to discover…!
All these features are either in development or not even started. Most of those are ideas or rough concepts. The amount of features can change in the finalized version.

ImageConceptsImage

For more details about the concepts, please visit this site: http://hiro-soft.deviantart.com/gallery/61947334/Fungi-Cappani

Image Image Image Image Image Image

ImageDownloadImage
Android version:
Download the .apk file for the current prototype version (coming as soon the very first level is done)

Windows version:
(Coming eventually after the final android version)

ImageOther Locations and Social MediaImage
You can find and support us on the following sites:
ImageImageImageImageImage

This is not the final version of the games presentation. The opening post will change over time and it will be updated, until it's finalized.

Last edited by Hiro-sofT on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Fungi Cappani
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:26 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

This looks pretty cool. I like the concept art you made, too.

User page at mfgg.net

[fr]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:58 pm 
спасибо
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
You definitely captured the Kirby feel to this, but I feel that you've captured the old Kirby feel, not the new one. Is that a bad thing? Absolutely not. The art style is fantastic and the gameplay looks nice and slick. Looking forward to more details.

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:13 am 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Woah! Look at all these G R A P H I C S!!

User page at mfgg.net

[de]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:03 pm 
The Hirsen
Thank you guys for the kind posts :D , I will give my best to make decent progress on the game. I did today something rather small, but it took actually some time, so here is a idle animation now for Cappani:

The main reason for this post is however, that I wanted to ask for people, who would have interest in being evolved making this game with me (in other words, people, who want to collaborate with me).

Now, to tell you few things straight away, I’m not very rich or popular. In fact, I’m rather short on money, since I’m still in an apprenticeship and have to give nearly half of my money to support my family and I will need to have enough money to pay my dentist for the upcoming treatment. So, I will not be able to pay big amounts of money currently. However, there will be some way of thanking for the people, who want to help me doing this project (for example I could give people steam games for them over time or draw something for them). I will definitely thank everyone, who is working on this with me, in a special way, other than “You will be in the credits” (being in the credits for helping is a sure thing for me and not enough to thank someone). I want to give you something more valuable, than a "thanks", but the problem is, it cannot happen in an instant.

I can relate to it, if no one wants to collaborate, because I know that most people have their own project and don’t want to waste their sources and time on a project of an unknown guy, especially if you don’t get much for it.

I just will look if there is some, who might be interested. Still need to sleep and think about this “collaborating” stuff, how this could work and what to do :think: .

In case someone is (somehow) interested, here is what I’m looking for Fungi Cappani:

Music composer/musician – This one is really what this game needs, since I’m not able to this on my own. I tried it myself soooo many times to cover this myself, but my music is very horrible and I simply don’t seem to have the hand for that. I need a person, who is able to do a fitting soundtrack for this game which captures the colorful, adventurous style, as well some serious and darker tunes for specific moments. Now here is a problem… I kinda know, what I want to do and I can roughly tell, what kind of music I need, but it’s properly too much on the list I did (and I think I need to shorten it). Also, the program I usually used to make this music is broken on Win10 and therefore, I'm even unable to do anything music related at the moment.

Here is some music I did. To give you an idea on how bad it is (cover your ears):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDK93mKHSMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuTJEnRM-_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huuTTO0SL-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-6KoS1fSUs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0TQIv_tRCo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPz-NpQV1aY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826lpm9AzBE

Another programmer – Would be a great help, especially with a big project like Fungi Cappani. The only person besides me working on that project is my brother, who has no clue about programming. Having someone, who’s looking over your code and gives advice on how to improve the code, would be a nice thing. I’m okay if no one is interested in this, since my coding style is horrible, compared to the more efficient programmer. I kinda know most of the basic stuff to make a game, but not all the fancy “advanced” coding tactics.

Advertisement guy – Everyone knows from all of my pages or websites, that I’m not an advertisement guy by any means. I don’t know why or how, but I seem to be the perfect anti-discussion-person, by just being somewhere present. Many topics and threads in my past went silent, once I was talking about a thing, and despite my efforts, I’m still a little nothing, no matter how much I try. In order to bring my project to the people, without scare them with my presence off, I would really appreciate someone, who can advertise my game properly and giving my advices on how to tackle certain advertisement stuff.

Sound creator – Currently, most sounds from Fungi Cappani are created with simple sound software called LabChirp, which makes mostly 8-bitisch sounds. Having a person, who is able to make better quality sounds for the game, would be kind, but isn’t really that much needed, as it’s only a fine-tuning thing.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not doing it, because I’m lazy :laugh: . If I would be lazy, I wouldn’t have started everything I currently have for this project in the first place. I’m doing this, because I know how difficult it is to work on a game by your own and I feel like, that I cannot do this alone (especially the music part, because I seem to suck at music and I already do so much, like programming and graphics) and because I want to do a team project, since I never did something like that before, as you can properly already tell. I also not want to force people in.

I will give it my best and all to finish this game however.

[de]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:31 am 
The Hirsen
Here is a short status update, in case you guys want to know, how the project is going etc...

To make things short, I was rather busy the last weeks. I did a lot of classroom tests and projects related to my apprenticeship, which did of course eat on my motivation and time for this game. I also did livestreaming a short time ago, but this has been cancled for now, as it wasn't really worth it (nobody besides a very few of my friends watched it anyway). So I drop the livestream idea for now, to have a bit more time for my indie project.

Currently, I only do minimal bursts, since I kinda have a hard time, keeping my motivation at the moment, but soon I will have a week vacation, in which I could properly motivate myself to do more on my game . Still no luck with a composer/musician sadly... I have written down a little bit more of the stuff, I want to put into my game.

I did a few little things, like I finished a bit of Squirlls sprites, began to make a digitized version of an artwork I drew earlier, added now different idle animations for the player, if Cappanis health is low and redid the bubble design, to look now more like soap bubbles:

ImageImage

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:00 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Hiro-sofT wrote:
Another programmer – ...

You can also just ask for help with specific problems in the Developer Discussion forum. The other programmers around here are more likely to help that way than to join another project.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:25 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I find this game really hard on the eyes. Everything is kind of the same colours and really dark for a game that feels like it should be channeling that Kirby vibe.

Psid's post below this particular post wrote:
very visually busy and difficult to read especially with the detailed backgrounds with heavy darks

Sums it up perfectly. Still, I do appreciate a good indie title and it looks fun and has some nice ideas!

Last edited by Kritter on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:42 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
While the game looks pretty nice, but it does have some pretty glaring flaws especially with the art direction.

I find the recent prototype gameplay to be very visually busy and difficult to read especially with the detailed backgrounds with heavy darks, making the enemies and the main character difficult to read at some times. I'd suggest that you should change the background and redo from scratch as it's too detailed to change entirely, or make it lighter as most faraway things are usually lighter due to light. And since the main character's colour palette is very similar to the level colour palette, especially with the large mushrooms and . It makes it really hard for me to actually find the character alone, aside from enemies which they have their own distinct colour palette. So, if you really want to keep the character that way then I'd suggest you should change the general palette to be in contrast of that character. The tileset isn't too much of an issue, but it could be more simpler and slightly less detailed.

Second thing that I've noticed, the character style seem to have an emphasis on eyes. I know they are kinda inspired by anime, but it kinda makes them look too uncanny especially when used on a body that's cartoonish and Anthropomorphized. And this could actually repel against willing players who are looking to play your game, but is repelled by only uncanny character design which can be pretty bad. I'd suggest you should try fix them, to make them look less canny.

[de]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:37 am 
The Hirsen
Quote:
I find this game really hard on the eyes. Everything is kind of the same colours and really dark for a game that feels like it should be channeling that Kirby vibe.
Quote:
I find the recent prototype gameplay to be very visually busy and difficult to read especially with the detailed backgrounds with heavy darks, making the enemies and the main character difficult to read at some times.

Mmm... the darker colours should help the player to keep track on the player more than bright colours. I darken it for a reason, since if I'm gonna use brighter colours, you will lose Cappani and other objects completely. Since the objects and terrain you interact with are all brighter than background objects and the background, you should be able to tell, what is interactable and what not.

Here is an older .gif, which shows the older background version with brighter colours... I wish, I colud make the colours brighter, but then the gameplay gets more unreadable.

I playtested it a lot of times and doesn't feel so bad, since the camera keeps you mostly in the middle of the screen. So losing Cappani should not happen that easy. If I'm done with the first level, I will hand out a demo to play, just to see, if others will have issues with that.

Quote:
I'd suggest that you should change the background and redo from scratch as it's too detailed to change entirely, or make it lighter as most faraway things are usually lighter due to light.

Redoing the background would be a desaster, as this one already cost me two entire days to do. Also, I always though, that stuff, which is further away, should become darker, since it is further in the background and more out of your view.

Quote:
So, if you really want to keep the character that way then I'd suggest you should change the general palette to be in contrast of that character.

Problem is, how I'm gonna make that... I tried many times to do a good palette for this thing and It always ended up looking really ugly, compared to now.

Another thing is, I could change the general colours to something completely different, but what colour should I use then?

Purple? What kind of field would be purple?
Pink? Oh gosh... no my eyes would hurt from that.
Blue? Works with nighttime grassland but not with daytime and I kinda want the first level be a daytimed level.
Yellow? Naw... eyes.
Brown? I don't know about that...

Green? Green! Since green is a nice colour for this type of level and we didn't had that so much before...

Spoiler:

Nevermind, scratch that :nope: .

Quote:
I know they are kinda inspired by anime, but it kinda makes them look too uncanny especially when used on a body that's cartoonish and Anthropomorphized.

I don't get what you mean with that... how are cute eyes uncanny? Sorry, but I have no idea, what the problem with that is... that kind of eyes you see in many japanese games with anthropomorphized characters, so I don't think this will be much of an issue.

@Progress:
Since you could only move very slowly within the soap bubble (which was kind annoying after a while), I now implemented a faster moving function, which allows the player to speed up the bubbles upwards speed. This should allow some interesting level design for the future as well :) .

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:54 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Hiro-sofT wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I find the recent prototype gameplay to be very visually busy and difficult to read especially with the detailed backgrounds with heavy darks, making the enemies and the main character difficult to read at some times.

Mmm... the darker colours should help the player to keep track on the player more than bright colours. I darken it for a reason, since if I'm gonna use brighter colours, you will lose Cappani and other objects completely. Since the objects and terrain you interact with are all brighter than background objects and the background, you should be able to tell, what is interactable and what not.

Then you are doing it wrong.

What you have done is, an warzone of strong and bold colours and details constantly fighting over who's the most important for the viewer. And it stems from the fact that all colours are extremely similar and limited, it's only oranges and reds and blacks. Black is an extremely strong colour and it seems that you have overused it too much, making the visual look very harsh and aggressive with the use of bold and strong colours.

What you should be doing is that, keep the characters the same, except for the main character as it needs to be a different colour as it needs to be have contrast against its surroundings helping the viewer to see it better. The tileset should not have any blacks, only dark colours as it'll help to give the attention to the characters and items, while keeping some attention for itself. The scenery should not be similar, but needs to be an contrast to everything in the gameplay, including the tileset. It can be simple as having the background less detailed than others, and having colours that are desaturated and not bold and never use any blacks.

Quote:
which shows the older background version with brighter colours... I wish, I could make the colours brighter, but then the gameplay gets more unreadable.

Then keep experimenting with it! It doesn't hurt to experiment and ask for feedback! It doesn't matter if there's negative feedback nor postie.

Quote:
I playtested it a lot of times and doesn't feel so bad, since the camera keeps you mostly in the middle of the screen. So losing Cappani should not happen that easy. If I'm done with the first level, I will hand out a demo to play, just to see, if others will have issues with that.

That's more than fine, it's more of the issue of colour between the character and the surroundings.

Quote:
I'd suggest that you should change the background and redo from scratch as it's too detailed to change entirely, or make it lighter as most faraway things are usually lighter due to light.

Redoing the background would be a disaster, as this one already cost me two entire days to do. Also, I always though, that stuff, which is further away, since it is further in the background and more out of your view.[/quote]
It doesn't hurt to redo it, besides that you aren't on a rush. Besides that, you have been thinking it in the wrong way. It really depends on the light and weather conditions, it doesn't need to be very
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_perspective
http://thehelpfulartteacher.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/landscapes-continuedatmospheric.html
These links explains this well enough, but usually in distance the colour of landscape usually changes. And this is very helpful as it can help with visual clarification of your characters and the objects.

But yours appears to be a clear sunset and is really dark, only having colours going to black. Especially with the black hills attracting the attention off the main gameplay, enhanced by the animated clouds. Which is you don't really want to have. My suggestion, is that you should have the setting to have the far-away landscape to be an desaturated and low contrast dark orange or dark blue colour fading into the sunset. Not only it'll make itself look much more nicer, but it'll stop the attention from the background allowing you to actually focus on the gameplay.
The clouds need to be animated slower and more subtle, so that they don't attract attention with it's constant moving.

Quote:
Problem is, how I'm gonna make that... I tried many times to do a good palette for this thing and It always ended up looking really ugly, compared to now.

Well, why not show it to us then? We can help with the palettes. It kinda sounds like that you haven't shown the stuff to rest of us.

Quote:
Another thing is, I could change the general colours to something completely different, but what colour should I use then?
Purple? What kind of field would be purple?
Pink? Oh gosh... no my eyes would hurt from that.
Blue? Works with nighttime grassland but not with daytime and I kinda want the first level be a daytime level.
Yellow? Naw... eyes.
Brown? I don't know about that...
Green? Green! Since green is a nice colour for this type of level and we didn't had that so much before...

All these colours are perfectly valid colours that can be used in a grassy field, especially if a combination of yellows and browns could be used to mimic dry grass or a farm. Pink and blue can be used to create an flower field, if it's pastel colours. And green is perfectly fine colour, and there is no shame in doing that after all as long you need to be creative with it. Heck, the prototype version looks much better than the current one as it's easier to tell the difference apart.

Quote:
Nevermind, scratch that :nope: .

You can still do much more with green if you use green with other colours, and Kirby does that quite a lot especially when it's set in a geometric and abstract setting. But you just really need to get creative with the colours, you seem to be quite limited on what you can use. It doesn't need to be just primary and bold colours, it can be desaturated colours or other. And also the images that you showed, these characters in these games have contrasting colours against their surroundings, and it really helps to create strong difference that helps the viewer to tell the difference between the elements. That is the reason why I told you to change the palette of your main character, because the surroundings and the main character are too similar.

Quote:
Quote:
I know they are kinda inspired by anime, but it kinda makes them look too uncanny especially when used on a body that's cartoonish and Anthropomorphized.

I don't get what you mean with that... how are cute eyes uncanny? Sorry, but I have no idea, what the problem with that is... that kind of eyes you see in many japanese games with anthropomorphized characters, so I don't think this will be much of an issue.

It's more the fact of proportion against the entire face. The eyes are very large compared to the mouth, which is quite small. The squid character shows a large degree of uncanniness, due to it's dark areas emphasizing it's eyes too much and details fighting for attention on her face. The mushroom characters, are fine as they don't have any dark areas that make their eyes stand out (Really, they're only on cheeks), and it's face proportions are sorta balanced, as the eyes and mouth are an equal size. It's more of hit and miss with the character design in regards of your style.

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 11 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic