Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 60 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [zz]
 Post subject: President Simulator 2016 - now on Steam Greenlight
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:47 am 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]

This is President Simulator 2016, a game satirizing the 2016 elections and the events that happened around it. It's a free game with five stages of gore-filled arcadey action - three shooting stages with a flying stage and a driving stage.

You play as Max Steel, a young playboy millionaire who owns his own company and is completely distinct from any real life presidents. One day, his company is attacked by a group of Islamic terrorists. After the police tries (and fails) to arrest him for his crude acts of self-defence, Max is inspired to clean up the swamp in Washington by running for president of the US so he can Bring Back America's Greatness (#BBAG)!

Last edited by Vertette on Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: President Simulator 2016
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:47 am 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Quote:
"There Will Be Gore"

0/10 no al gore false advertisement

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:35 am 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
Quote:
"There Will Be Gore"

0/10 no al gore false advertisement

Wow rude.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:39 am 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

On a more serious note:

I can't play it yet, but the footage looks really cool. The HUD is awesome; is that an original idea or did you borrow that from somewhere?

Also it just looks like a really neat 8-bit game in general. Congratulations

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:39 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I had a lot of fun testing this while programming, and am anticipating the remaining levels.
Good idea to release it on Steam for free. Just make sure to set up the Greenlight page soon enough before it stops being relevant ;)

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:40 am 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
I can't play it yet, but the footage looks really cool. The HUD is awesome; is that an original idea or did you borrow that from somewhere?

Coco's idea, it was "borrowed" from NMH. Pretty good game.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:26 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
its 2017 though

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:32 pm 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
Vimimin wrote:
its 2017 though

yes and the elections took place in 2016

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:35 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
in all seriousness, I don't really think this looks super funny. I'll commend you for the effort, but the humor of the presidential election last year has been dried so much that raisins have more moisture.

the game will probably get greenlit though because this seems entirely up the steam community's alley, so there's that

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:37 pm 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
Vimimin wrote:
in all seriousness, I don't really think this looks super funny. I'll commend you for the effort, but the humor of the presidential election last year has been dried so much that raisins have more moisture.

This isn't supposed to be funny, elections are serious business.

Really though if you don't think it's funny that's fine but there's other stuff too. Like gameplay.

Last edited by Vertette on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:40 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I don't think the game looks very good. As in either graphics or gameplay.

I'm not gonna speak about how much merit the "satire" claim has.

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:42 pm 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
Kirby's Adventure wrote:

Would you mind elaborate on why, exactly?

I mean we are trying our best to make a good game here. If you don't think the graphics or gameplay or even the satire are good then I'd love to hear why you think so and how you think it could be improved.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:17 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Vertette wrote:
Kirby's Adventure wrote:

Would you mind elaborate on why, exactly?

Gameplay:
Spoiler:

As for the graphics, the "8-bit"/"retro" aesthetic has been done to death (like the rest of what you've shown) and I find it very difficult to find charming or whatever. The indie market has been saturated with "quirky retro graphics!" for a long time now. For what it's worth, the flying stage looks better than the shooting stage, but the driving stage looks better than both of them, so what exactly is the deal here? I can't say much of anything apart from the game looking uninteresting.

If there's an audience for this type of thing (unfortunately, I'm sure there is), great. But before you say anything such as "If you don't like it, don't play it," I wasn't planning on it. By the way, if you were planning on saying anything such as "Then why comment on it?" Well, you've put the game on a forum where it's open to criticism. Great job.

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:26 pm 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
Kirby's Adventure wrote:
Shooting:
  • Never been big on shooty shooty arcade shooty in general, the gameplay seems a bit monotonous but I'll give it to you if it's just a stage or two
  • The amount of camera shake is obnoxious

It's a stage or three, and I'm not sure how you can comment on its monotony from just 20 seconds of gameplay when I did, in fact, implement a few things to throw people off. I could look into reducing the camera shake but you are the first person out of quite a few so far to mention it, so it doesn't seem to be a huge problem.

Kirby's Adventure wrote:
SHMUP:
  • Never been big on shooty shooty arcade flying in general, I think you can see a running pattern here; everything you've shown has been done to death twice over

The pattern from here seems more like "I don't personally care for this sort of gameplay", which I can't do a lot with.

Kirby's Adventure wrote:
Driving:
  • I think this is probably the best of what you've shown, and It's only because it's the pretty decent example DJ Coco made. I've always been fond of driving stages, but in small doses.
  • Like the other stages, it doesn't seem very engaging and the obstacles look pretty obnoxious.

Why is it not engaging? Why do the obstacles look obnoxious, exactly? I can't really work with such vague criticism.

Kirby's Adventure wrote:
As for the graphics, the "8-bit"/"retro" aesthetic has been done to death (like the rest of what you've shown) and I find it very difficult to find charming or whatever. The indie market has been saturated with "quirky retro graphics!" for a long time now. For what it's worth, the flying stage looks better than the shooting stage, but the driving stage looks better than both of them, so what exactly is the deal here? I can't say much of anything apart from the game looking uninteresting.

I'll give you that the 8-bit aesthetic has been done to death. I would've preferred something with more bits myself but making great graphics takes a lot of time and I wanted the game to be out in a timely fashion so it could be topical. I would like to point out that, though, that while it's been done before, the graphics did have effort put into them unlike many other indie games with "retro" aesthetics. The game uses the NES' palette and resolution as well as a few of its restrictions for some sense of authenticity. Plus, its gameplay is very much arcade-inspired so it does make some sense for the artstyle to be this way.

Kirby's Adventure wrote:
If there's an audience for this type of thing (unfortunately, I'm sure there is), great. But before you say anything such as "If you don't like it, don't play it," I wasn't planning on it. By the way, if you were planning on saying anything such as "Then why comment on it?" Well, you've put the game on a forum where it's open to criticism. Great job.

I wasn't planning on saying either of those things. There was no need to assume I would've done so, either.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:58 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I'd probably be more interested if you actually showed what's supposed to "throw people off", because showing just the same old mechanics that's been seen over and over isn't going to pique my interest. Maybe it's because I don't find the idea of playing as Not Trump shooting down hordes of members of ISIS interesting, either. Same thing with the SHMUP stage really, show something to set your game apart. It doesn't help that the gameplay you've shown of that stage looks pitifully easy.

As for the driving stage, it's mostly at the curves where the obstacles seem to come into view to fast. As for it looking unengaging, it's the same issue with the rest of what you've shown: you're not doing anything to set it apart! I get that this is probably early in development, but nothing so far looks any different from any other arcade game. So what's the point of playing this when I can probably find some better games that don't have the funny Topical Humor displayed here?

Vertette wrote:
I would've preferred something with more bits myself but making great graphics takes a lot of time and I wanted the game to be out in a timely fashion so it could be topical.

It's 2017. I think you missed your window to "satirize" the 2016 election.

Not to mention topical humor is the best way to instantly date your work.

Vertette wrote:
Kirby's Adventure wrote:

I wasn't planning on saying either of those things. There was no need to assume I would've done so, either.

Better safe than sorry!

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:10 pm 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
Kirby's Adventure wrote:
I'd probably be more interested if you actually showed what's supposed to "throw people off", because showing just the same old mechanics that's been seen over and over isn't going to pique my interest. Maybe it's because I don't find the idea of playing as Not Trump shooting down hordes of members of ISIS interesting, either. Same thing with the SHMUP stage really, show something to set your game apart. It doesn't help that the gameplay you've shown of that stage looks pitifully easy.

As for the driving stage, it's mostly at the curves where the obstacles seem to come into view to fast. As for it looking unengaging, it's the same issue with the rest of what you've shown: you're not doing anything to set it apart! I get that this is probably early in development, but nothing so far looks any different from any other arcade game. So what's the point of playing this when I can probably find some better games that don't have the funny Topical Humor displayed here?

If you don't like how it looks and can't explain how I could improve it, then go and find those better games that you talked about. I'm not losing any sleep or losing any money over your decision.

Kirby's Adventure wrote:
It's 2017. I think you missed your window to "satirize" the 2016 election.

Yes, I know it's the current year. People are still acting like chimps over the election's results and Trump isn't even officially the president yet so it's plenty relevant.

Kirby's Adventure wrote:
Better safe than sorry!

So you inserted completely unnecessary passive-aggressive comments into your post on the assumption that I'm a jackass?

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:31 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I'm also not a fan of this idea.

First of all, I don't like the name. I'm sick of seeing *insert something random here* Simulator games. Almost all of the games with "Simulator" title are games that are somewhat bad on purpose, and I think that only worked with Surgeon Simulator well. Because of that if I saw this on Steam, I wouldn't even bother to check the game. It feels like a cheap way to get attention to me.

My second problem is the idea itself. Why 2016 elections? The gameplay has nothing to do with the elections itself. It's just a collection of random minigames with some random jokes put into it. It's almost like you made a random minigame collection but then added some political jokes to make it stand out. I'm not saying this is the case but that's what it feels like. And speaking of jokes, I don't find any of them even slightly funny. I know it's just me but I've never found political jokes funny unless they are done very well. And here, the in-game jokes only consist of making fun of democrats. None them feel clever at all.

The gameplay itself looks generic at best. There's nothing that makes this game stand out, and there's nothing that's done exceptionally well. It looks decent, but pretty generic. The other thing I dislike about the gameplay is how the camera moves in the driving stage. It feels really weird to see the camera move very smoothly while everything else moves very choppily. Just make everything very smooth, or don't make the camera move. But I admit, it's pretty impressive.

The graphics also look very generic, but I guess they are somewhat well made.

Yeah...

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:58 pm 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

funney donald trump funney "topical" """humour"""

can this trend of saying/making incredibly offensive **** and then claiming it's ""satire"" please die already

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:26 pm 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
Mors wrote:
My second problem is the idea itself. Why 2016 elections? The gameplay has nothing to do with the elections itself. It's just a collection of random minigames with some random jokes put into it. It's almost like you made a random minigame collection but then added some political jokes to make it stand out. I'm not saying this is the case but that's what it feels like.

Because the elections were a ****storm and I thought it'd be funny.

You're right in that the gameplay has nothing to do with the elections. The story does. But what kind of gameplay ideas could you get out of an election, really?

Mors wrote:
The gameplay itself looks generic at best. There's nothing that makes this game stand out, and there's nothing that's done exceptionally well. It looks decent, but pretty generic.

Mind elaborating on this point?

Mors wrote:
The other thing I dislike about the gameplay is how the camera moves in the driving stage. It feels really weird to see the camera move very smoothly while everything else moves very choppily. Just make everything very smooth, or don't make the camera move.

I dunno what to say about this one, that's how NES racing games like Rad Racer look like in motion.

Friendly Dictator wrote:
funney donald trump funney "topical" """humour"""

can this trend of saying/making incredibly offensive **** and then claiming it's ""satire"" please die already

It is satire. I'm not sure why there's any question about this. Wikipedia defines it as "a genre of literature, and sometimes graphic and performing arts, in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule [...]". I took the most absurd statements people have made about the President-Elect (he's gonna zap all the gays and kick out every minority, prepare for nuclear war, we're all doomed, etc.) and held them up to ridicule by showing what they'd look like in the form of a game.

Sometimes in the real world people say and/or do things that are intentionally controversial for the sake of making a point. People like Jonathan Swift, Diane Arbus or Gottfried Helnwein. Not to imply I'm anywhere as good as they are, but I am doing the same thing here. If it's not your thing, that's fine, I didn't make this game so everyone could like it. But nothing needs to die because you don't personally like it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:56 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
This isn't good satire, but it is a neat--if not a little generic--game.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 60 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic