[ 6 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
Spunky Spooks - Simple Platformer, My first attempt at a fan game
 [zz]
 Post subject: Spunky Spooks - Simple Platformer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:14 pm 
Edit: [Closed for now.]

Last edited by kingboo10 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Spunky Spooks - Simple Platformer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:36 pm 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
It seems like there are a lot of gameplay mechanics you could implement to go with the theme of the main character being a Boo. I could see there being some sort of invincible dash, or limited flight, one of Bow's moves from Paper Mario...it's extremely difficult to make an engaging game when your sole game mechanics consist of running and jumping. A game with a good assortment of different movement and combat options can get away with having straightforward level design because the act of traversal/fighting can function on its own.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:41 pm 
Magnemania wrote:
It seems like there are a lot of gameplay mechanics you could implement to go with the theme of the main character being a Boo. I could see there being some sort of invincible dash, or limited flight, one of Bow's moves from Paper Mario...it's extremely difficult to make an engaging game when your sole game mechanics consist of running and jumping. A game with a good assortment of different movement and combat options can get away with having straightforward level design because the act of traversal/fighting can function on its own.

Oh, for sure. I've thought about implementing a float feature or something else to correlate with the character's existence as a boo, but it's more or less a concept in progress. I was hoping to introduce new elements and graphics in every level, enemies with entirely different functions, and unique power-ups along the way, but as far as the character's moveset is concerned, I still don't exactly have a definitive framework down.

Thank you for your concern.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:32 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
These graphics are painful to look at.

kingboo10 wrote:
more focused on level design rather than aesthetics, engine quality, or anything else

That's all well and good, but there's no excuse for the aesthetics or engine to be downright bad. Finding backgrounds, tiles, and sprites that mesh decently well together is not that hard. And for a game which aims to have level design be its strong suit, the level design in the screenshots and videos sure is plain.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:42 pm 
Willsaber wrote:
These graphics are painful to look at.

This is something I could definitely work toward.

Willsaber wrote:
That's all well and good, but there's no excuse for the aesthetics or engine to be downright bad. Finding backgrounds, tiles, and sprites that mesh decently well together is not that hard. And for a game which aims to have level design be its strong suit, the level design in the screenshots and videos sure is plain.

Well, it is my first attempt at an engine, but I can see where you're coming from. As for the level design, I will freely admit that the first two levels are very straightforward, but I intended for them to be easy and sort of condition the player into the groove of the pacing, which isn't necessarily like Mario's, Wario Land's, Yoshi's, but as its own standalone thing. Boo can dash and speedrun through the level, so I just wanted to stretch some of the design out to cater to that.

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:06 pm 
Can someone actually close this topic? I'm going redo the entire game.

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 6 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic