[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
The year was 2002, my brother (Shadowman, for those who recall, he made Mario's Time Battle) found a website for a DOS RPG maker, and a friend of his showed him this forum involving it.
This would be the first forum that my brother and I ever went to online. It was pretty nice. I would have found MFGG a year later.
But we made a game. Although "made" is a stretch. Only about like a third of it was ever completed, and we eventually stopped.
We had too many ideas. Weird ideas.

I'm about to tell you about a fangame that SM and I had worked on, from around 2002-2003, but never got released. This is a game is that's beyond the normal scope of ordinary fangames and is truly a WTF game.

It's called Mario Potty.
The game uses a DOS RPG engine, called the Official Hamster Republic RPG engine.

Confused? Here's the explanation.

One day at the mall I wanted to buy Mario Party for N64, but it was too expensive. I commented about how I can't get Mario Party, I said Party with an Italian accent. Pah-ty. From that, we sort of got the idea for this... game.

The premise is this:
Luigi has been invited to a party by Mario at this abandoned shack. However...
It's not a party, it's a "potty". Mario is on the toilet.
"I thought you said there was a party going on."
"No, I said there was a potty going on. Now leave me in peace."
"Ooh, that Mario. You know what?
IT'S TIME!"

You play as Bad Luigi. The goal of the game is to kill Mario. The point being, there are many different ways to go about this. You can do it right from the start, but there are many possible ways to win the game, so it's better to pick the more exciting or extravagant ways. You start with basic things like guns, fists, other weapons, but there are more elaborate ways, you find those as you explore the game. Those give you more points at the results screen.

The graphics of this game range from crude MS Paint drawings to super low rez screenshots of the live action Mario and Luigi from Super Show.

Here are some of the ideas that have been mentioned, some are in the game, not all are in the game, but these were ideas.

Keep in mind not much of this was ever decided on what would actually happen in the game.
  • -You could rig a game of Who Wants to be a Millionaire where Mario plays.
  • -Take Mario out to dinner at an Italian restaurant where various things can happen.
  • -A night club that had a game of Russian Roulette with poisoned drinks in the basement. And it would have a Dance Cage.
  • -Luigi could equip a trenchcoat. I don't recall why. More points or something.
  • -Gratuitous German occassionally.
  • -Sephiroth can join. He's found in the fridge.
  • -There are items that are fairly pointless that you can buy.
  • -There was a space station called the Quantum, where Yoshi was the captain and the Koopalings were crew members. Through some method, you could get asccess to the Quantum Beam, one of the best weapons in the game, a ray that shoots from the space station. The way you get to the space station is using an electric snail.
  • -You can read the third Harry Potter book, getting Luigi an idea.
  • -Luigi can go to Hell, where he can get the help of Satan for various tasks or something. Looking at the text files, I believe to prove yourself to the devil, you had to sacrifice a puppy. (I'm serious, I don't even recall that in the game, and I know everything about this game)
  • -The ultimate method of being the game would be The Detonator, a colossal bomb hidden inside the planet, which once used, would destroy the entire planet, as Luigi would escape in a spaceship.

Many locations are in the game, I honestly don't even recall if some of these have any point or not. Many of the ideas on how to win the game I'm not certain how you're supposed to get them. Things from other games were put into this too. (Final Fantasy 8, Marathon...) Many of the ideas were based on things picked around from real life. The night club, the Realm, is based on a real radio ad series I heard in high school. Same thing with the Dance Cage, same club. The game is supposed to take place in Valparaiso, Indiana, that's a real clocation that's quite a distance from where we live.

The game is unpolished as hell, it's unintuitive, it's hard to navigate in some areas, but it had a bunch of effort (sort of) put into it.

Despite it's fairly blatant stupidity and strangeness, I have only fond things to say about it, and I've occassionaly gotten the feeling of wanting to finish it, actually make it easy to play. That is, if I can re-figure out everything in it, or if some things even have points. Because everything is thrown at this game.

SM has since disavowed this game, with any sense I would too, but I'm happy to keep it.

It also occurs to me that if Vinny from Vinesauce were to play this game, he would potentially take it to town. The idea of that is amazing.
This actually sort of reminds me of Nintendo Nightmare, another game on Vinesauce. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF3YH6DuAXo
The person working on it for years, the similar making of a game thing, that sort of thing.

HOWEVER:
For those who don't know, Shadowman has a site and twitch channel called the Obscuritory, where he plays obscure and weird CD/computer games. He announced he is having a fundraising drive stream where he'll play things for 24 hours, and if he hits his goal, he wants to play "an extremely terrible DOS game I made when I was 10 years old."

I'm 95% sure this is what he's talking about.

I don't have any screenshots because I don't know how to take screenshots in the program, but maybe I can just do a Print Screen thing. Nonetheless, I had wanted to talk about this game so much, and since it might be being streamed one day soon, I figured I could talk about it.

If you want screenshots, please tell me and I can try to get something.

[zz]
 Post subject: Re: Mario Potty: The fangame that never was
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:45 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

sounds like a lost classic, i'd really like to see some of it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:35 am 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Still better than Mario Boom.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:56 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
It sounds like an interesting and amusing fangame to me. Some of the ideas made me laugh a bit. :laugh: I wouldn't mind seeing some of it.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:25 pm 
Mr. Awkward's Lab Assistant
[*]
[*]
So, it's basically Hitman except you play as Luigi, and it's made in that RPG engine with a ludicrously long acronym as its name? (OHRRPGCE is the official acronym!)
Sounds good to me...

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:52 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

This probably isn't the best-executed fangame ever, but it sounds like something where there's a lot of creativity and charm. I'd love to play it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:15 pm 
indie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Sounds like 2003 to me.

Where do I throw my money at

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:59 am 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
Since you mentioned Mario Potty, I was instantly reminded of an issue Nickelodeon Magazine from year ago. there was a page that showcases baby parodies of games. I remember Mario Potty is one of them, while Stuffed Animal Crossing is another.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 8 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic