[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
BUGGLY-WUGGLY-WOO!

WE'RE BACK!

In Magikoopa Security Force, one does not play the hackneyed role of a so-called 'hero' stampeding through the property of others, stealing whatever they don't smash. Instead, we don the noble robes of a Magikoopa rightfully defending our world from intruders. Summon Minions to deal with a rising tide of hostile Shy Guys attempting to plunder your resources and weave magical spells to turn the tide of battle.

When working in tandem with your troops, strategy is just as important as action, and your quick-thinking and decision-making determine whether you defend an area with aplomb or barely make it out with a few coins. 18+ unique minions all have special roles to fill, and resources and time must be managed to ensure that your defenses can push back your attackers.

Version 0.81 Download: http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb ... 2&id=29243
Read the readme file for controls. Magikoopa Security Force is best controlled with the mouse and keyboard, but can also be played with the mouse alone.
If you've managed to retain an old MSF save file, I am afraid that it is somewhat incompatible with this version. The game will attempt to convert your save file, but it will result in a broken save.

This update fixes a few bugs, rehauls the Level Description window on the world map, balances an assortment of minions, increases the MP regeneration rate by 20%, and adds three new Super Spells, bringing the total to 12.

Spoiler:

Features incoming in the next update:
- A proper shop system.
- New minions to purchase.

Last edited by Magnemania on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 8 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Magikoopa Security Force - The Super Spell Super Update
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:37 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Wow! Has it really been 3 years? Nice to see this has been worked on again!

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:45 am 
SMRPG Fanatic
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
*squee!*

I absolutely loved this game. Can't try it out now due to my other priorities, but I will try it during NCFC!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:35 pm 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]

Finished work on Chargin' Chucks. They sit still and look around when placed, then do a running charge to the left upon sighting an enemy. The charge ends when they've attacked ten times or hit a wall-whichever comes first. They jump back to their initial summoning position after the charge.

After looking at some testing, I've decided to up the FP rate by 20%. It now takes about 84 seconds to fill the bar.

I've also made Ghoul Guy a tad easier. There is now a cap on how many Dry Guys can be present onscreen, and the cap increases as Ghoul Guy's health lowers. I've spent hours upon hours trying to balance Ghoul Guy and I'm hoping that this could be the end of things.

I need feedback to do these balances, fellows. Strategy games cannot be balanced properly with my present testbase of three people.

EDIT:

Carrier has arrived.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:09 am 
SMRPG Fanatic
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Doing a quick play through right now, and I wanted to mention two things:

Bug in level "Release the Blooper!"
Spoiler:

A request:
Can there please be a way to place moving minions on non-moving? Currently (and I believe the last version too), the player cannot place moving units (Goombas, Koopas, etc) on areas where there are already non-moving units in place (Piranha Plants, Monty Moles, that green dude I forgot the name of, etc). This is only a hindrance from the way I see it. I'm not asking to place non-moving in the same spot, just moving units on already placed non-moving units.

EDIT: Some feedback on the FP Meter:
I'm enjoying the new FP meter. It seems like a separate meter that recharges was a good change. It's fun and it works.
While I enjoy the idea and it's mostly good, I do have one thing I dislike. In my opinion, for the meter not to recharge while attacking seems to "punish" the player too hard. I think this "punish" should be lifted, even a little, by adding some amount of recharge over time even while attacking. The reason I see this as a "punish" is because I find the spells fun to use, and to have the wait for the reward (the spells) is not fun. Sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining, I just want you to see the flaw I see.

Suggestion...
- Seeing the levels before entering might be beneficial for the final release. A tiny level preview under all the level descriptors would be really helpful, but since the player can just enter the level and exit this might not be necessary.

EDIT2: Oh no, my game broke... (big image warning)
Spoiler:

It turns out that I wasn't using three minions for some reason reason. I had gotten up to level "Betty Blargg's Furnace". Upon entering that level with this glitch, I got this error:
Spoiler:

Then, upon re-entering the same level after exiting the game and reloading my save file...
Spoiler:

I had fixed the glitch by holding enter to select Ignore and selecting the minions via mouse.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:59 am 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hurrah! Feedback! Let's see...

Quote:
Can there please be a way to place moving minions on non-moving? Currently (and I believe the last version too), the player cannot place moving units (Goombas, Koopas, etc) on areas where there are already non-moving units in place (Piranha Plants, Monty Moles, that green dude I forgot the name of, etc). This is only a hindrance from the way I see it. I'm not asking to place non-moving in the same spot, just moving units on already placed non-moving units.

I've considered this, but I'm worried that it could detract from the simplicity of the current system (outside of pipes, the universal nature of places-you-can-put-down-minions helps simplify things. Pipes are a special case because it doesn't look right to put down Koopas on top of a pipe). I'll try implementing it and see if it feels intuitive.

Quote:
I'm enjoying the new FP meter. It seems like a separate meter that recharges was a good change. It's fun and it works.
While I enjoy the idea and it's mostly good, I do have one thing I dislike. In my opinion, for the meter not to recharge while attacking seems to "punish" the player too hard. I think this "punish" should be lifted, even a little, by adding some amount of recharge over time even while attacking. The reason I see this as a "punish" is because I find the spells fun to use, and to have the wait for the reward (the spells) is not fun. Sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining, I just want you to see the flaw I see.

It is intended to be a punishment; the purpose of the spell system is to get players in the habit of sitting back and letting their minions do work whenever possible. The 20% increase in FP generation next update should make that a bit more clear, as it increases the opportunity cost of attacking while also making it possible for players to rely a bit more on spells.

I've also noticed from your screenshots that you've been using Power Points. When designing Power Points, I deliberately kept it a bit undertuned, as I was worried that a spell that permanently increases your power (by letting you place down more minions) would almost always be chosen over the temporary attacks. As of now I am looking for ways to make Power Points a bit better; my current considerations are reducing the FP cost and point increase to 25% (which may not feel very rewarding on each cast, but will allow you to get more points than before if cast consecutively) or maintaining the 50% FP cost and increasing the point increase to 100% (which might make it a little bit too powerful). Some balance testing may be necessary.

Quote:
- Seeing the levels before entering might be beneficial for the final release. A tiny level preview under all the level descriptors would be really helpful, but since the player can just enter the level and exit this might not be necessary.

I've been thinking about this for a while, so I'll try to get it into the next release. I do agree that it seems a bit inconvenient to 'scout out' a level prior to actually picking units for it. The current plan is to display a simplified map of the level that shows the general shape/pipes/cannons/block location.

A level descriptor overhaul is also in the works; the tags are planned to be replaced by icons that simply show which Shy Guys are in the level and whether pipes/cannons/water are present.

Thank you for the bug reports, they have been added to the list and should be cleared up by the next release.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:56 am 
SMRPG Fanatic
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Ah, I love that you're responding. Let's keep this going steady, shall we? (I'm saying I want to be a steady tester for this game. :D)

Magnemania wrote:
I've considered this, but I'm worried that it could detract from the simplicity of the current system (outside of pipes, the universal nature of places-you-can-put-down-minions helps simplify things. Pipes are a special case because it doesn't look right to put down Koopas on top of a pipe). I'll try implementing it and see if it feels intuitive.

Please, I would be interested in seeing this implemented. I can understand not being able to place non-piranha plant units on pipes, that's an interesting point. I'm thinking that due to the nature of how the game already works with how minions and Shy Guys can overlap each other, I was thinking being able to place units on top of each other in the fashion I suggested would make sense, no? Unless the nature changed, where minions bumped into eachother and switched direction like classic Mario games, then I could see why units could not be placed on top of each other.

Magnemania wrote:
It is intended to be a punishment; the purpose of the spell system is to get players in the habit of sitting back and letting their minions do work whenever possible. The 20% increase in FP generation next update should make that a bit more clear, as it increases the opportunity cost of attacking while also making it possible for players to rely a bit more on spells.

Ah, I look forward to this increased FP generation. I agree with your points here, and I believe this will work.

Magnemania wrote:
I've also noticed from your screenshots that you've been using Power Points. When designing Power Points, I deliberately kept it a bit undertuned, as I was worried that a spell that permanently increases your power (by letting you place down more minions) would almost always be chosen over the temporary attacks. As of now I am looking for ways to make Power Points a bit better; my current considerations are reducing the FP cost and point increase to 25% (which may not feel very rewarding on each cast, but will allow you to get more points than before if cast consecutively) or maintaining the 50% FP cost and increasing the point increase to 100% (which might make it a little bit too powerful). Some balance testing may be necessary.

I use Power Points because it's overpowered! :agree: Yup yup. Seriously, anything that increases resource points for free by doing nothing, in my eyes, is really really overpowered. To be frank though, I don't find it to be that fun either, nor rewarding. I mean you wait to get points; you don't defeat Guys, you thin out your army to a minimum as to best maximize the amount you get, and... I dunno, it's just not fun to me. I would much rather use a shell and time it just right to get a ton of points. With the Power Points, it's like the whole concept of being rewarded points is stripped down to the bare bones; You get points for the sake of having points. I don't get it, it just doesn't sound like it works for me.

Oh and by the way, teleport is really fun. I haven't quite figured out how to use it yet, but it's really fun.

Magnemania wrote:
I've been thinking about this for a while, so I'll try to get it into the next release. I do agree that it seems a bit inconvenient to 'scout out' a level prior to actually picking units for it. The current plan is to display a simplified map of the level that shows the general shape/pipes/cannons/block location.

A level descriptor overhaul is also in the works; the tags are planned to be replaced by icons that simply show which Shy Guys are in the level and whether pipes/cannons/water are present.

Oh I would love that. Anything but the current system, it's kind of bland, hah.

Magnemania wrote:
Thank you for the bug reports, they have been added to the list and should be cleared up by the next release.

Hooray!! :D

EDIT1:

Oh yeah, I was thinking of a new unit that might be cool: Rocky Wrench? I mean, it's just a Monty Mole that shoots in a straight line. Wouldn't that be cool? I dunno maybe it's just a bad idea... It sounds like a cool variation though.

EDIT2:
OH what about a fake Bowser, or turning regular minions into a Bowser temporarily?! Sorry I just got really excited and wanted to share.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:17 pm 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I've started uploading unstable (not fully playtested) releases in the first post. This version contains bugfixes, Charging Chucks, Lakitus, and several balance changes. To unlock Charging Chucks and Lakitus for purchase, the associated levels (Tribal Traffic and Seize the Gate, respectively) must be completed once on the new version, regardless of whether or not they have already been completed.

Changelog thus far:

Spoiler:

Quote:
To be frank though, I don't find it to be that fun either, nor rewarding. I mean you wait to get points; you don't defeat Guys, you thin out your army to a minimum as to best maximize the amount you get, and... I dunno, it's just not fun to me. I would much rather use a shell and time it just right to get a ton of points. With the Power Points, it's like the whole concept of being rewarded points is stripped down to the bare bones; You get points for the sake of having points. I don't get it, it just doesn't sound like it works for me.

The main idea behind Power Points is removing your ability to store up attacks for emergencies and replacing it with a slightly increased minion count. The average level lasts 200 seconds and it takes about 87 seconds to charge the bar to full. Assuming that the player spends 1/3rd of the level's duration attacking/summoning, Power Points can be cast three times. Without the aid of an offensive spell, players should have difficulty storing up more than 120 points without falling behind the waves, so the average return on Power Points is going to be 60 (the max is 100). That totals a player's total point return to 180 per level, equivalent to 4.5 Koopas. That's a significant amount of repeating firepower, but it's also important to keep in mind that:

- Saving 120 points requires using one's attacks to make up for the minion deficiency
- Saving 50 FP requires lowering one's attack rate
- The last cast of the spell (for 60 points) is only going to give you minions for the final wave, whereas a pair of Burning Barrages, a Shell Shot, or some of the more expensive spells can be used much more effectively to counter the final wave than 1.5 Koopas.
- The psychological effect of trying to reduce attack rate and point consumption is fairly damaging and frequently results in coin loss. This is also the 'enjoyment' of the spell: the stress of dealing with low power, followed by the payoff of reaching a higher strength than a normal spell.
- Furthermore, the player isn't getting any points for Shy Guys that slip past; if the player lets 5 Stilt Guys escape while saving up for Power Points and casts the spell at 100 points, the player is directly worse off than a player using no spell because they've lost 5*10 points in escaped Shy Guys.

The current attempted solution to this is to increase the unlock cost of Power Points. The unlock costs for a minion/spell aren't intended to be proportional to the strength of the minion/spell (since in theory the minions are all designed to be balanced with all the other minions and the spells are designed to be balanced with all the other spells) but to discourage players from replacing their existing kit with one that 'seems' better before getting a proper understanding of the pros/cons of their existing kit.

Quote:
Oh yeah, I was thinking of a new unit that might be cool: Rocky Wrench? I mean, it's just a Monty Mole that shoots in a straight line. Wouldn't that be cool? I dunno maybe it's just a bad idea... It sounds like a cool variation though.

I've been planning a skin system for a while now that would provide the option of replacing Monty Moles with Rocky Wrenches (since Monty Moles behave similarly to Rocky Wrenches and are introduced in place of Rocky Wrenches). Other potential skins include Gloombas, Green Koopas, Red Chain-Chomps, Green Cheep-Cheeps, Ice Bros...etc. The gameplay of the Minions will be unchanged.

Quote:
OH what about a fake Bowser, or turning regular minions into a Bowser temporarily?! Sorry I just got really excited and wanted to share.

Bowser may or may not appear in the game.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:30 am 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Code:
enemies=0003
pipe=0
cannon=0
water=0

################################
################################
--------------------------------
------------------------------?-
##########=================#####
##########LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL#####

Working on a scanner that saves level layouts in text files to be used for level previews. This is the first level. The previews won't actually be displayed in ASCII like this, but it's a great way to check to see if the scanner is working properly.

EDIT:

Level previews are complete.
Spoiler:

Shows a little picture of the level that clearly displays exactly where minions can be placed.

Spoiler:

The Shy Guys thrown at you during boss levels are kept a mystery. Levels with lots of different types of Shy Guys will display the same symbol.

EDIT:

I have updated the unstable download. It includes the new level preview system along with a minor buff to Cheep-Cheeps and a rehaul for Underwater Excursion.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:37 am 
Wow. This certainly looks like it'll be fun once it finally releases. The graphics are certainly eye-pleasing.

I'll download the beta and be sure to provide feedback.

Acts 2:38: Then Peter said unto them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

[fr]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:11 pm 
Dart. Still a basic FC. For now.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
A bit late to the party, but WOW IT'S BEEN THREE YEARS! I remember being in the topic of the last version and commenting about how I did enjoy it, and I'm glad you managed to bring it back. I'll test it whenever I can! Game Design oblidges, anyway, I do need experiences to understand ;)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:55 am 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Nice to see you back, Tortwag!

In other news...

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Chain-Chomps are smarter! They now explicitly look for chains of nearby Shy Guys to attack, rather than attacking the closest one. They also spend a bit more time chomping at the end of their chain. They go to sleep when no enemies are close-by. This has also resulted in a slight reduction in how frequently they can attack, but overall they are significantly more reliable.

The unstable release has been updated.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:12 am 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
Magnemania wrote:
Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

I really hope it will be an unlockable upgrade for the Chain Chomp, and you unlock it through this convo. It would be way too much of a waste to not include this convo in the actual game.

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:19 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Nice undertale funney

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:38 am 
SMRPG Fanatic
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Well, here's some feedback. Magnemania recommended that I post my overworld redesign mock-up, to get feedback from everyone.

Map Mock-up
Spoiler:

Do give criticism, if any, as well as any comments on it, please!

Now let's go over some other feedback. First, two bugs, to get that out of the way first.

Bugs
Spoiler:

Onto the rest:

Units
Spoiler:

Levels
Spoiler:

Spells (Balance)
Spoiler:

Overworld
Spoiler:

Other
Spoiler:

Now for random suggestions!
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:17 pm 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
One thing about the map mock-ups; I'm actually going with Yakibomb's original version of the spell list (which has two more slots and a bit more room towards the bottom) for reasons one will see at the end of this post.

To respond part-by-part...

Bugs
Spoiler:

Units
Spoiler:

Bill Blaster Rework: Bill Blasters will not detect an enemy until it is within 18 tiles (a little over half the screen). Bill Blasters now take a full second to fire, and will stop firing if an enemy leaves their line of sight. Bullet Bills now move 33% faster. This makes Bullet Bills a bit easier to stockpile.

Levels
Spoiler:

Spells

Spoiler:

Overworld
Spoiler:

Other
Spoiler:

...And I've been working on three new spells to balance out the game's final spell list to 12!

Rainbow Round fires a magical bullet that OHKOs the first enemy it hits (only 3 damage to bosses). The bullet is infinitely-fast and incredibly tiny, so it must be aimed with perfect accuracy. After hitting an enemy, it returns 2 FP for every point the enemy is worth, up to 10 FP (half of Rainbow Round's cost).

Nimbus Nullifier covers the player in a concealing cloud, rendering them invulnerable to all attacks for 7 seconds. During the duration of this ability, the player can do collision damage up to 5 times.

Magnet Missiles summons 7 magnets that rotate around the player. While magnets are still in reserve, the player launches them in place of the regular attack. Fired Magnet Missiles will home in on nearby enemies, attacking up to 5 times per missile.

Rainbow Round and Nimbus Nullifier become available for purchase for 200 coins each after defeating Kamilda. Magnet Missiles are unlocked for free after fulfilling a certain condition...

I'm now going to focus on fixing up the last few bugs and doing a final test of the game in order to get a new release out in time for NCFC. The overworld interface redesign is going to take a while to implement, so I'm leaving that for the next release.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:44 pm 
SMRPG Fanatic
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Ah, yes, this is the mock-up we had agreed on.
Spoiler:

My apologies for going ahead and changing it without your input first.

Magnemania wrote:
Are you a French speaker? I was curious as to which language that name was from, and I see that Charlie le Chargeur is their French localization.

No, I actually have very little knowledge of French. All I knew was Chuck was a nickname for Charles. I had no idea it was French!

Quote:
I've seen plenty of people use Spikes over Monty Moles, so I really don't think this needs to be changed.

I appreciate your thorough explanation. While I do think they can be used in the levels you mentioned, I've managed without them for the most part (outside their intro level). Because of their price I still don't believe they are on-par with Monty, instead more on par with the Red Koopas. Maybe I need to use the Spikes more to appreciate them...

Quote:
I've actually tweaked their numbers down a smidge after the last unstable release. They outclassed Koopas a bit too much.

I do agree with your opinion, they did outclass Koopas a bit too much. In some survival levels (Three Road Rally, Heated Heights) they are able to take individual waves by themselves. In the Three Road Rally, one Dry Bones can take a whole group of Blue Shy Guys from one of the first four waves by themselves. In Heated Heights, placing several Dry Bones near the pipe will be your best defense here, usually taking a whole wave (from waves 1-4) by themselves.

Quote:
[On the Angry Sun suggestion] Err...that would probably be a bit too random.

Yeah, it was just a thought. Environments with different neutral species in them would be kind of cool (but maybe a bit too wishful). I'd imagine this might stray from the core design of the game, maybe.

One more bug:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:21 pm 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Yakibomb wrote:
My apologies for going ahead and changing it without your input first.

Nono, I'm quite happy with everything in the latest mockups aside from the spell screen (I just want the first mockup's room for descriptions and the three final spells). I do want to emphasize that I'm going to start implementing them after the 0.81 release, as this is going to take a bit of time.

Quote:
Heated Heights, placing several Dry Bones near the pipe will be your best defense here, usually taking a whole wave (from waves 1-4) by themselves.

Heh heh heh...To be quite honest, I felt it rather fitting for Dry Bones to be useful in the desert survival level, since their introductory level is desert-themed.

Quote:
One more bug:
Spoiler:

Hrm. I was a bit worried that would be the case. I'm going to delay fixing this bug for now (since bugfixes tend to cause bugs) and try to keep the code as-is until I've declared it release-ready, and I'll get on that after the release.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:44 am 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hrm.

...I began working on the interface rehaul after compiling the release candidate, then started testing the release candidate and found a bug, so...the level window will be as shown in the image for the update.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:49 pm 
[*]
Haven't played any fangames (or games period) in a while so I gave this a shot. Finished the first world.

The Good:
  • The ranking system is really nice. It's a good way to add replay value without making levels massively difficult. It encourages the player to find optimal strategies to squeeze out those S ranks!
  • Thank you for not giving the super spell explanation again if you retry the miniboss. And giving acknowledgement for a Perfect Victory. Even if there's no reward, it's that you recognized what the player did!
  • Another nice touch: The 1up noise when killing an enemy an instant before they hit the coin block. :D
  • Your choice of music is very good. Everything fit with the stage and it was nice hearing some remixes I've never heard before. Make sure you credit those musicians in the readme! :D
  • Turbulent Travels: WHOA EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT NOW AND THERE'S WIND AND MONTY MOLES AND FLY GUYS AHHHHH
  • Overall, this is a really fun and well-executed concept. I'm a sucker for existing genres (RTS) being turned into platformers and this game does a really good job of that. :D
The Bad:
  • Magikoopa's acceleration when he's moving around doesn't feel very natural. He accelerates from a standstill but comes to a jerky stop once he hits his destination. I think it would look better if he quickly slowed to a stop once he nears his destination. Also, maybe he could bob up and down a bit?
  • There's audio cutout when too many enemies are onscreen. As a solution, don't just let enemies emit sounds from their own code with something like playSound(SHY_GUY_VOICE). Instead, have them send a request to a central SoundSystem. If SoundSystem has too many sound effects playing at once, it should ignore the newly-requested ones.
  • Wait, what? A miniboss? Suddenly I have a health bar? It felt very jarring when you suddenly changed the rules of the game like that. I'd give the player a heads-up that they suddenly have a health bar they need to manage. Maybe a Mega Man-esque sequence where your life fills up while the boss is introducing itself.
  • You can't selecting an enemy unless you're hit. A big problem in boss battles if you change your mind and want to cast instead of summoning an enemy.
The Ugly:
  • Enemies need to patrol their summoned area more closely. Getting an S-rank on Carnivorous Caverns was very trial-and-error because goombas kept wandering in front of my front pirahna plant. If they patrolled the 5-tile radius where they were summoned, things would be less luck-based. I know I could return from later stages to get that S-rank, but it's frustrating to be unable to do it with what you have at that point.
  • Getting an S-rank on Subterranean Swarms is very frustrating. I tried a dozen times with many different strategies but the pirahna plants were always a problem. Frequently, a single enemy will slip through and a pirahna plant will waste an entire cycle of biting. As a solution, make pirahna plants have a kill-based cooldown instead of a time-based one. Pirahna plants will pop out when there's an enemy to kill and won't pop back down until they've killed X number of enemies. If they bite for a while without killing anything, they pop back down with partial cooldown and refill. If they use up all their bites, they have to completely refill in the pipe before they pop back up.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 56 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic