Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
HylianDev wrote:
If only MMFM didn't bite the dust. I'd like to see some interesting MM fan games

Have you tried Megaman: Super Fighting Robot?

The level design is significantly more competent than Unlimited's.

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
 Post subject: Re: Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:01 am 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I highly recommend Mega Man Rock Force too, it's definitely on the list of my top 5 favorite fangames.

--------------------------

Version 1.4 of the Mega Engine has just been released! Not a whole lot of bug fixes this time around, but I fixed all bugs that have been reported (at least to my knowledge). Sorry for the delay for this version, I wanted to wait a little while in case another bug report showed up.

Download:
Game Maker Studio
Game Maker 8.1

The downloads in the main post have also been updated.

Changelog:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:58 pm 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Version 1.5 of the Mega Engine has just been released! Several bug fixes involving Rush Jet and moving platforms have been applied, and a bug where Picketmen could crash the game under specific circumstances has been addressed as well.

Download:
Game Maker Studio
Game Maker 8.1

Changelog:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:10 am 
[*]
Did you hear that someone made a Super Mega Engine based off of this one?

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:24 am 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
BTW, WreckingGoomba, I would still like to know how you managed to pull off certain MegaMan things in your engine, since I'm trying to recreate those in my own MegaMan engine for Game Maker 8 (because screw GM8.1 and especially screw GMS), but I had no luck so far.
Please hit me up with a PM regarding on whenever you would like to help or not. Thanks in advance!

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:35 pm 
[*]
So here is a couple of things I have to tell you about your engine. This engine is very good, and it is quite accurate while being simple and commented well. Unfortunately, some things are a little hard to use and modify.

1. The weapon-firing system, I was thinking of giving the player a melee-attack instead of a ranged attack, but it was hard for me to find how the player fired weapons so I could change the shot from a bullet object to a slash object. For example, in Hello Engine, the firing event in Mario's step code makes a case for every form that fires projectiles, instead of having a generic shoot command that is informed by the weapon constant, which triggers another script that I could not find. So in Hello Engine, it's all in one place, but in your engine, it is a bit like spaghetti going back and forth between everything and being entwined. There's nothing wrong with making a shoot-event that doesn't need to be modified much for new weapons, but it was confusing for me because it wasn't adequately documented as to how it works. I would recommend comments that show where something is referencing another object, script, event, etc.

2. It seems that to replace Mega Man's sprites you have to actually replace several layers of color? This looks a little ugly when setting it up and makes there have to be more paste work, and it also is important to align the colored parts right. Is this truly the only way, to have several layers instead of one sprite?

[nl]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:58 pm 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
P-Star7 wrote:
So here is a couple of things I have to tell you about your engine. This engine is very good, and it is quite accurate while being simple and commented well. Unfortunately, some things are a little hard to use and modify.

1. The weapon-firing system, I was thinking of giving the player a melee-attack instead of a ranged attack, but it was hard for me to find how the player fired weapons so I could change the shot from a bullet object to a slash object. For example, in Hello Engine, the firing event in Mario's step code makes a case for every form that fires projectiles, instead of having a generic shoot command that is informed by the weapon constant, which triggers another script that I could not find. So in Hello Engine, it's all in one place, but in your engine, it is a bit like spaghetti going back and forth between everything and being entwined. There's nothing wrong with making a shoot-event that doesn't need to be modified much for new weapons, but it was confusing for me because it wasn't adequately documented as to how it works. I would recommend comments that show where something is referencing another object, script, event, etc.

2. It seems that to replace Mega Man's sprites you have to actually replace several layers of color? This looks a little ugly when setting it up and makes there have to be more paste work, and it also is important to align the colored parts right. Is this truly the only way, to have several layers instead of one sprite?

Sorry for the very late reply, but thanks! As for your points,
1. All shooting code is actually organised in one script called playerShoot. Non-projectile weapons can also be added without too much trouble (look at Star Crash for example). For a detailed explanation of the special weapon system, I recommend checking out the special weapons tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtlbXRYzuNQ
2. Yes, you do have to replace three additional layers, the so-called "whitemasks". From what I know, there is no other option in Game Maker 8.1, and while shaders could work in Game Maker Studio, they can make the game unplayable on certain GPUs and I did not feel like that was worth it. For an explanation of the whitemasking system (and how to create these whitemasks yourself) check out the beginning of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXQ2akOV0W4 (it's not Mega Engine-exclusive but it gets the point across, just note that the Mega Engine uses an "outline" version instead of a "static" version for the third whitemask)

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:56 am 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
BTW, since GMS2 is out and is so much better than GMS1 (so much, in fact, I'm even thinking about trying GMS2 out myself), any chance of ever making a GMS2 version of your MegaMan engine?

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:43 am 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
TrinitroMan wrote:
BTW, since GMS2 is out and is so much better than GMS1 (so much, in fact, I'm even thinking about trying GMS2 out myself), any chance of ever making a GMS2 version of your MegaMan engine?

Supposedly GMS2 ports GMS1 projects extremely well.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:34 am 
[*]
Wow, a fantastic amount of polish must've went into this. As I watch the preview video I'm marking off a mental checklist and everything seems to look and feel just like a Mega Man games. Everything behaves as expected and the physics are rock-solid (no pun intended).

What kind of tiling system does this have going on? Just one layer or is there parallax scrolling? Foreground objects? It's hard to tell with the very bare-bones levels you've shown so far.

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:01 pm 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
TrinitroMan wrote:

Assuming everything works as expected, I will make an official GMS2 version as soon as I get my hands on a copy of GMS2. I am not sure when that will happen though. For the time being, you should be able to import the GMS1 version without much trouble, as explained before by Willsaber.

DragonDePlatino wrote:
Wow, a fantastic amount of polish must've went into this. As I watch the preview video I'm marking off a mental checklist and everything seems to look and feel just like a Mega Man games. Everything behaves as expected and the physics are rock-solid (no pun intended).

What kind of tiling system does this have going on? Just one layer or is there parallax scrolling? Foreground objects? It's hard to tell with the very bare-bones levels you've shown so far.

Thanks! There is no parallax scrolling in the engine since none of the NES games had this (most backgrounds scrolled along with the tiles, with Gravity Man and Tomahawk Man being the sole exceptions, but these backgrounds moved along with the camera rather than being parallax). If you want to add parallax backgrounds to your project though, I can send you an easy way of doing that through PM (just let me know if you want this).
As for the tile system, it's Game Maker's default tile system, so nothing fancy going on there.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:40 pm 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
Okay, DragonDePlatino did managed to raise a point: Maybe it's possible to show off an example recreated MegaMan level that is still basic enough, though, but still perfectly demonstrates what the engine has to offer.
Maybe show off animated tiles ala FlashMan's crystal blocks. Maybe some animated palmtrees ala NapalmMan. Maybe multiple types of ground (normal, slippery, etc.). Just my 2 cents, though.

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:31 pm 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
It's been a long time, but version 1.6 is released! I've decided to address some bugs, add a couple commonly-requested features and port the game to Game Maker Studio 2.

Download:
Game Maker Studio 2
Game Maker Studio 1.4
Game Maker 8.1

Changelog:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:34 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]