Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 37 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Xander's Super Wario Bros! ~ HTML5 Engine Demo!
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:46 pm 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Image Image Image

Hi Everyone!

Many years ago, I posted about the HTML5 game engine called Impact. It's pretty awesome. It works by using the HTML5 <canvas> tag paired with a whole whack of javascript. As long as you have a modern web browser, you are good to go, with Chrome being the best.

Why is Chrome the best? Because it supports native Gamepad support! So if you have a Gamepad plugged into your computer, you can use it without any setup!

I've spent a couple of weeks adapting the engine to simulate a Mario game. While there is still work to be done, I feel it's finally at a place where it's worth showing to MFGG. :)

http://xandor.ca/superwario/

Just click the link, and you can start playing!

While I do know there are some bugs (you can't fully die just yet, and there's no strict level-ending), feedback is appreciated!

Thanks! :cool:

Last edited by Xander on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Xander's Super Wario Bros! ~ HTML5 Engine Demo!
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:46 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Very nice! Great to see MFGGers working with newer technologies. I've done some HTML5 game development, but not with Impact. I made my own JavaScript engine, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it if you can work with something that gives you the tools you need so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

As for your engine, it's great so far, some glitches aside:

- It still takes input, even if I'm in another tab or window
- When holding both left and right, Wario doesn't animate his run, he sticks in the sliding frame
- If I resize the window after it's already loaded, all of the graphics except in the background bug out really badly. I'm guessing that the canvas is made to resize via CSS or something, while you're only getting the adjusted tilesize onload?

Also, about gamepads: in my experience, Firefox has even better gamepad support. I'm not sure how well Opera or Safari handle them.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:03 am 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Thanks for the feedback, HylianDev!

Yeah, HTML5 is pretty sweet. Not having to install anything, being portable to any OS and having Gamepad support without any setup make it very easy to pick up and play any HTML5 game.

Your engine is pretty cool, nice job!

Glad you like my engine so far.

As for the glitches,
1) There is a feature to disable to the game loop when the window doesn't have focus, so I might add that in, or I'll just add a pause.
2) This one I knew about, and doesn't bother me too much, especially when using a Gamepad, but for polish's sake, I'll probably fix this.
3) I was trying to modify some of the dynamic sizing for the game when you resize the window, but the engine doesn't handle it very well. It makes for a pretty cool glitchy look! I'm still fiddling with some of the game-size settings right now. Currently, it creates the largest canvas it can, onload, with an integer scale of 240x160.

Times may have changed since I last tried Firefox, a few years back, you had to manually enable the Gamepad in the browser settings. I'm glad to hear this has been updated.

Oh, I forgot to mention. You can totally play this demo on an Xbox One! Just load up the edge browser and input the URL. The edge browser supports the Gamepad! :thumbsup:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:36 am 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
So I spent last night adding in a title screen. :) The background isn't looped properly yet, but I'll fix that tonight.

I sprited my working title, probably took about 45 minutes, I guess.

:D

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:17 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I was never a fan of SMB clones that just switch Mario out for Wario since Wario games are already a thing and they have so many great mechanics people never take advantage of.

That said, it's not bad. Its nice that you can just play it on the browser. Some issues though:

-Wario does not lose momentum when he hits a brick, you can literally slide off the underside of a block and he'll keep going up.
-Wario can't climb 45 degree angles, it also does some weird things with your fireballs.
-After completing the stage, wario can walk off the side of the stage and fall forever.
-Its unfortunate that Fire Wario can grab a lesser powerup at the goal and actually revert back to super Wario.
-Why do the goombas explode what did they deserve to do this???

Aside from that, it's a good start. I am optimistic for the future of this project.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:20 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
the keys are pretty unconventional for a platformer, maybe you could remap the keys or allow custom key bindings? people usually prefer either ZXC (as opposed to SXC) and sometimes shift and control (usually the former)

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:55 pm 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Kirby's Adventure wrote:
the keys are pretty unconventional for a platformer, maybe you could remap the keys or allow custom key bindings? people usually prefer either ZXC (as opposed to SXC) and sometimes shift and control (usually the former)

I appreciate the feedback.

Using ZXC is an easy change, and one I could see doing. For the most part, I've been using a Gamepad to test the game. But I'm glad to know there is in fact a kind of standard to follow.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:43 am 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Syaxamaphone wrote:
I was never a fan of SMB clones that just switch Mario out for Wario since Wario games are already a thing and they have so many great mechanics people never take advantage of.

That said, it's not bad. Its nice that you can just play it on the browser. Some issues though:

-Wario does not lose momentum when he hits a brick, you can literally slide off the underside of a block and he'll keep going up.
-Wario can't climb 45 degree angles, it also does some weird things with your fireballs.
-After completing the stage, wario can walk off the side of the stage and fall forever.
-Its unfortunate that Fire Wario can grab a lesser powerup at the goal and actually revert back to super Wario.
-Why do the goombas explode what did they deserve to do this???

Aside from that, it's a good start. I am optimistic for the future of this project.

I somehow missed this reply!

Swapping out Mario for Wario will eventually more than a simple 1 to 1 replacement. I plan to implement more Wario focused mechanics for him, but for now I am just getting up and running.

-Yep, right now collisions from below something don't end jumps, they will.
-Yes, right now he lacks sufficient momentum to traverse 90 degree hills. That will likely be adjusted. Fireballs, right now, have a bounciness factor which has them decrease in height as they bounce. Mostly an experimentation right now, not a 1-to-1 replication of Mario's fireball.
-As noted the level doesn't have a proper ending sequence just yet. I am coding a world map to go back and forth between levels, so I am waiting to get that more complete before I have a level end. Right now, it's just some experimentation with how I want the end of the level to happen. I plan on spriting a Mushroom house to replace what I have now.
-Haha, yes, I was so excited to get powerups working to the extent I have, that I haven't fully finished odd and ends like the one you describe. Ideally, the extra items will be stored in some fashion, similar to SMW, but likely different. Maybe added to an item bank like SMB3.
- Goombas explode if you use fireballs on them, haha. This is more of a holdover from the engine I am using, Impact. It'll likely change, but I do like the idea of having some particle effects, so I'll probably sprite something similar to replace what's there now.

I agree that having the game run in the browser is awesome! It's so much more accessible this way. I'm glad you're optimistic! I am too. I'm really motivated by this project so far and am making consequential additions as often as I can.

I started working on an Overworld Map last night and made some progress in about an hour:

Right now you just walk in 16 pixel increments, much like SMB3 or pokemon. There are no barriers right now though, so you can just walk anywhere, heh. I plan to continue on this tonight and maybe address some bug fixes.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:11 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Dang, that map looks niiiiiiiiiiice!

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:19 pm 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Willsaber wrote:
Dang, that map looks niiiiiiiiiiice!

Thanks Willsaber! :)

I've been looking forward to using those tiles for a while. They're pretty old.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:31 am 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Yeah I like the way this looks for sure. I'll have to check out the game when I'm on a PC. I'm on a smartphone right now xD

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:34 pm 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Morrad1991 wrote:
Yeah I like the way this looks for sure. I'll have to check out the game when I'm on a PC. I'm on a smartphone right now xD

Thanks! I await your feedback. :)

I'm nearly done adding a proper death sequence and a proper level ending sequence. I'll post it later tonight.

Last edited by Xander on Sat May 21, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:45 pm 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Many, many updates! I made a bunch of updates to my game.

- You can now properly die and be returned to the overworld screen.
- The overworld screen now has a path to follow.
- You can complete the level with a small animation and return to the overworld screen.
- The overworld screen has some WIP enemy encounters, though I still need to make them trigger.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

EDIT:
- While in the overworld screen, come in contact with a goomba to start a level.
- Invulnerablility flash now working.
- Removed "s" key in favour of the "z" key for running and shooting fireballs on the keyboard.
- Added some music. My friend was over last night and I watched him compose some fun tunes and remixes.
- Other bug fixes.

Note, press "M" for a rudimentary mute, you'll have to mute for each level, sorry!

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:26 pm 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Some more progress!

The Overworld map now remembers your location and which levels you have defeated.

This takes the game into a state where it can be completed! Most of the truly core functions are in place, and now it's time to add some more polish! :)

All the feedback I've received so far has been helpful, and I still have some outstanding bugs to squash, but I am very happy with how far I've progressed in these few short weeks.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:00 pm 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
The game is pretty fun but glitchy. I can't seem to jump when running. I got stuck under some platforms, though I know you've detected that bug. Overall it's a good clone and a great way to get into Mario fangame development with a running start! And that's coming from someone who is trying their best to do the same.

I like the graphics and especially the tiles and backgrounds, all have a very consistent and nice feel to them.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:46 am 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Morrad1991 wrote:
The game is pretty fun but glitchy. I can't seem to jump when running. I got stuck under some platforms, though I know you've detected that bug. Overall it's a good clone and a great way to get into Mario fangame development with a running start! And that's coming from someone who is trying their best to do the same.

I like the graphics and especially the tiles and backgrounds, all have a very consistent and nice feel to them.

Thanks Morrad!

As for not being able to jump while running, I really can't account for what might have caused that. I've not seen that at all. Very curious!

I made some more updates last night, but haven't published them yet. I'm working on a better implementation for slopes, so that you can actually walk up 45 degree slopes. I have some promising progress so far, but have some tweaks still left to do.

Now that the game is in a playable state, I'm working on some bug fixes and polish before I add anything else to the game. :)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:31 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
not being able to do a running jump may be a case of keyboard ghosting

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:35 pm 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Kirby's Adventure wrote:
not being able to do a running jump may be a case of keyboard ghosting

Very informative! Cheers.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:23 am 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I only experienced it when running left then jumping.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:55 pm 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Morrad1991 wrote:
I only experienced it when running left then jumping.

I guess it must be ghosting, I haven't been able to reproduce this!

Lots of updates to the engine!

http://xandor.ca/superwario/

Still some quirks, but I've polished a lot and added some new features, like more interactions with koopa shells, proper level ending sequences and transitions and sound effects!

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 37 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic