Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 37 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [au]
 Post subject: Re: Xander's Super Wario Bros! ~ HTML5 Engine Demo!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:58 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Wow, heaps of improvements since you last showed me. Coming along really nicely!

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:20 am 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Thanks Kritter!

I've been pretty focused on this project and have got it to a very playable point, I feel. There are a few bugs I want to quash still, but on the whole, I feel it plays reasonably well. :)

I might actually do some more thoughtful level design now that things are mostly setup.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:16 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Every time I check this out, there's new stuff! That's really awesome.

Btw, when you hold a Koopa shell and bring it into contact with a Super Mushroom, the mushroom dies as an enemy would, which is kind of unfair.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:27 pm 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Willsaber wrote:
Every time I check this out, there's new stuff! That's really awesome.

Btw, when you hold a Koopa shell and bring it into contact with a Super Mushroom, the mushroom dies as an enemy would, which is kind of unfair.

Hah! Very unfair indeed! I'll be sure to fix that up. I need to classify things and refactor some code: I need to create a proper EnemyEntity class to extend from and an ItemEntity class, that way I can separate a lot of this stuff.

Glad you like it. Thanks for trying it out! :)

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:19 am 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
After breaking for the Summer (and Fall and Winter...), I've resumed work on this project! What's more, I've resolved to stream myself on Twitch while I work on it!

I plan to stream every night from 6-9pm, Monday through Thursday. I've streamed twice so far, and am slowly improving my Twitch streaming methods.

https://www.twitch.tv/xand0r/videos/all

My plan is to actually finish a bunch of levels and focus more on game and level design.

If you want to see my haphazard process of working on a video game, be sure to tune in!

Remember that the game can be played in your browser without installing anything, and it supports Game Pad input!

http://www.xandor.ca/superwario/

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:53 pm 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Had a decent stream last night! Managed to fix a bug with my Super Mushrooms and Item Blocks, so I was pretty happy about that. I also added a total number of lives triggering a game over, and also added coins! (https://www.twitch.tv/xand0r/videos/all)

More streaming tonight at 6pm (2 hours from now!).

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:57 am 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Cool engine! I'm always happy to see great new(ish) technologies like HTML5 put to use.

One thing I'd like to point out: If I jump, let go of the jump button, and press it again before I touch the ground, it makes me jump again when I land. You might be doing this intentionally, which is cool, though if you're going for more SMB accuracy, probably make it to where you can only jump if you're touching the ground on the bottom, and the jump button was pressed on this frame and not on the previous frame.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:09 am 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
Cool engine! I'm always happy to see great new(ish) technologies like HTML5 put to use.

One thing I'd like to point out: If I jump, let go of the jump button, and press it again before I touch the ground, it makes me jump again when I land. You might be doing this intentionally, which is cool, though if you're going for more SMB accuracy, probably make it to where you can only jump if you're touching the ground on the bottom, and the jump button was pressed on this frame and not on the previous frame.

Yes, this is intentional, and really it's due to the nature of HTML5. Since consistent frame rates are harder to achieve using javascript, this code is designed to avoid the feel bad moment of pressing jump as you land, and not jumping at all due to some delay.

I think this was originally suggested by the developer of the engine. However, computers and especially mobile phones have much improved a lot with respect to javascript and speed of computation in the years since this engine was first made. It's possible this feature is no longer necessary, but I see no reason to remove it just yet. Though as you say, it's not typical of a mario game.

While I haven't seen much traction on my Twitch stream, I'm going to keep up with it anyway, just for the heck of it. I'm considering streaming on the weekend too, in addition to my normal streaming schedule. :)

Thanks for the comments, HylianDev, much appreciated!

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:34 am 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I've been working steadily and have made lots of tweaks and improvements to the game.

After adding coins, I amended the end level sequence to reward you with coins if you touch the star on exiting the stage. I've also greatly expanded the overworld map to be more "open world". I need to add new tiles for different regions, but I am happy with the progress so far.

I also added piranha plants and am halfway done making warp pipes work.

I've also begun refactoring some code to make it more organized. :)

As always, you can play the WIP game in the browser (with a gamepad) without downloading any files:
http://xandor.ca/superwario

Thanks for looking!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:07 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

There's a small feature here that impressed me: the way you fine-tuned the coin shower at the end of each level to all be collected just in time before the level is completely faded out. Nice tuning.

The collisions are still a bit goofy. I should really only be able to hit one block at a time, and running into walls mid-jump doesn't feel like it did in any of the Mario games.

That's all tuning stuff though. The engine itself seems very well-made. Good job :)

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:29 am 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Thanks HD!

With the coin shower, on rare occasions, you may miss one coin, it'll drop down behind you. But I found this was more funny than anything else. It's hard to get upset about missing a single coin.

I'm still tweaking the item box collisions. The core engine tries to resolve collisions and separate entities 1 at a time, so if I put two boxes next to one another and you jump in the middle of both of them, it only ever notices the collision on one of the boxes, and the second one doesn't trigger. I've been experimenting with different ways to fix this, as it's quite intolerable! I usually spend an hour on it, then move on to something else with the plan to get back to it later.

And yeah, when you collide with something above you, I want to fix it so that all upwards velocity is lost and you ricochet back downwards. Perhaps you meant something different by "running into walls mid-jump", but I'm not sure.

Thanks again for the feedback! Much appreciated.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:58 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

By running into walls mid-jump I actually meant horizontally. Like if there's a tall pipe or something, and I run into it partway through my jump but at the end of the jump I'm above it. Maybe it feels weird because you can accelerate mid-air as fast as you can on land? Idk if this is true or not but if it is, I would suggest removing running for when you're in the air and maybe also slowing it down even more.

It seems that this is a thing people forget to look into somewhat often with fangames. I've seen other demos that also felt weird about walls.

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:04 am 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I don't know how I feel about this. To me, games where you can't manipulate your position while in the aire tend to feel clunky and less playable.

I think I want to air on the side of too much control rather than too little. Still, something to think about. Thanks!

User page at mfgg.net

[es]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:49 am 
I'm just a little adorable kitty :3
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Just found a bug accidentally

If you look in the opposite direction while touching the goal gate, Wario will just "moonwalk" until the level ends.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:40 am 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Gatete wrote:
Just found a bug accidentally

If you look in the opposite direction while touching the goal gate, Wario will just "moonwalk" until the level ends.

This is one of those "bugs as a feature" that I also noticed, but left in place. ;)

Thanks for playing!

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:14 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
One thing I noticed is that your momentum drops off sharply as soon as you take your finger off the left or right buttons and it takes some getting used to. I feel like it'd feel better if you kept your momentum a little.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:36 am 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:
One thing I noticed is that your momentum drops off sharply as soon as you take your finger off the left or right buttons and it takes some getting used to. I feel like it'd feel better if you kept your momentum a little.

Thanks Kritter. That's probably a good idea, right now the run just toggles the faster movement, it should probably drop off over time.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 37 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic