Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 36 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
Super Mario: All-Star Attack!, Mini Demo Level Pack v0.3.1 Beta
 [us]
 Post subject: Super Mario: All-Star Attack!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:38 pm 
Ready to launch! And set for action!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

"Super Mario: All-Star Attack, previously known as Super Mario World: All-Star Edition,
is a team fangame project that blends all the fun of the classic Mario platformers into one whole new experience.
You can play as Mario, Luigi, Toad, or Princess Peach in a engaging quest to retrieve back the All-Star from Bowser
and his minions, going through ten whopping-huge worlds, through exploration and perplexing warps between worlds such as Subcon and the Minus World.
During this process you can play your own music, swap graphics using the external skin system, swap sounds from 16-bit to 8-bit, and even retrieve the game's
stamps through the unlockable menu system!
With a renewed graphic style and dynamic physics, an engaging plot, and brand-new levels, Super Mario: All-Star Attack is a phenomenal fanmade experience."
INITIAL DEVELOPMENT DATE: Halloween 2010
ROSTER OF MEMBERS: 6+ members
If you would like to be a part of this project, PM me here on the forums. You will need a Dropbox and Game Maker 8.0 Pro to begin.
INFO: This demo you see here is just a treat I call a "Level Pack". Because of the fact that ASA has had to go through a programming overhaul with
bug fixes, audio glitches and just plain unnecessary lag, I felt like the previous version of this game cannot technically compare to what has been fixed in this demo.
The levels featured in this demo has a level from each world from the game (asides from World -1). After those levels are stages that have been made by
the members of the community themselves, including myself. Overall, this demo has 22 levels. It's like... World-e from the Mario Advance series.
As a bonus, there is an easter egg in the game that I would rather not explain here in this topic just so you can find it yourself. ;)
I would also like to announce that this game is also compatible with a joystick, a gamepad, whatever you call it, I don't care, just knock yourself out. ;)

SCREENSHOTS:

DOWNLOAD LINK(S):
SM: ASA File Download (126.77 MB)
https://www.mediafire.com/?i0hrdxcgv9an553
SM: ASA Sound Skin Patches (6.25 MB)
https://www.mediafire.com/?yi9ytpfmw28ybni

YOUTUBE PLAYLIST: This is the colossal heck-of-a-playlist, if you're curious to what other levels are not in this demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0l8YKOdR2Q...TzUyVO&index=44

Place this banner in your signature if you support the
progress of All-Star Attack!

WEBSITE
If you are curious to how this game even started in the first place, visit this reactor. Please note that you should only come here if you
really want to. Don't force yourself.
http://allstarattack.b1.jcink.com/index.php?act=idx

In conclusion, enjoy yourselves on this darn mighty worked on game! I would love to hear your input in the comments.
Notes:
If you find any glitches or obscurities in this game, please report! This game has been notable for the
past few years to have obscure glitches that halters level progressment. I find it a huge issue and I wish to solve all of them
I can find or understand. Thank you very much.

Let me warn you that all of the characters that are in the above roster are NOT playable. Mario and Luigi, if I recall, are only available
in this version. We are finishing the rest of the characters graphically, so hold on tight!

Last edited by Mikeystar on Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
 Post subject: Re: Super Mario: All-Star Attack!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:43 am 
[*]
The game looks pretty neat! I'll have to give a try sometime!

I also like how this game actually has variety put into, unlike other Mario fangames.

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:43 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I'll give this a shot later, but it'll definitely have to be in the future because 126 MB is a lot to ask for with a demo!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:53 am 
[*]
[*]
This plays much faster than before.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:35 am 
where are the dreamers gone?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
While I can't say that I approve of the artwork / sprites, the game is definitely running better than before. Nice work!

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:40 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Cake wrote:
While I can't say that I approve of the artwork / sprites, the game is definitely running better than before. Nice work!

Well thank you. This game is aimed to get the classic feels of Mario platformers, which is why the art style is the way you pointed out to be.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:25 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I haven't tried out the game yet (although I'm planning to do that soon), but I'm really liking the visuals! :thumbsup:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:09 pm 
[*]
[*]

So I wait 10 minutes only to be met with this. :blank:

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:23 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hm, as the error appears to be related to an external function, did you extract the game's files to your computer before you started it?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:25 pm 
[*]
[*]
Q-Nova wrote:
Hm, as the error appears to be related to an external function, did you extract the game's files to your computer before you started it?

Nope! Extracted it, now it's running! :whoops:

Spoiler:

EDIT: Played it for a bit, and I can't even get past the Nabbit level. :blank:

ugh

EDIT 2: OK, actually stopped trying to do the Nabbit level and moved onto the 1st level. OK, these graphics are very nice. I like the graphical effects such as the fireball effect and the parallax scrolling. The music on the other hand...why did you use a SNES remix of SM3DW's overworld theme? I mean, if the game was supposed to be based off of the SNES Mario games, or you just wanted to use 16-bit music AND ONLY 16-bit music, I can understand. However you also used CD quality songs and CD quality SFX in your game. I also can say that even on Novice, it's still quite hard for a first level. I also don't like how the game lags on big levels either. I can only assume it's my PC so I'm not gonna complain. I also swear that there was a checkpoint somewhere in the big portion of the level that lagged the game, but when I died, I had to go back to where I entered the big portion in the level that lagged the game, which means I have to go through all the lag again. :blank:

Even if the game was kinda enjoyable for me, there is still a few things to be left desired here. I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, I'm just the picky kind of guy. Even if a certain game was acclaimed and recommended by users there is still a possibility that I probably won't like it as much as everyone else.

Last edited by TheTwelfthRocket on Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:52 pm 
The Dark Warrior
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
TheTwelthRocket wrote:
I mean, if the game was supposed to be based off of the SNES Mario games, or you just wanted to use 16-bit music AND ONLY 16-bit music, I can understand. However you also used HQ songs and HQ SFX in your game. This is like one of the minor things that bugged me in Super Mario Bros. Odyssey.
While definitely not as disappointing as Super Mario Bros. Odyssey, there is still a few things to be left desired here. I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, I'm just the picky kind of guy. Even if a certain game was acclaimed and recommended by users there is still a possibility that I probably won't like it as much as everyone else.

Hi there, I wasnt planning on posting in this thread due to my current self-policies regarding ASA but i'll make an exception here for this post only. Im only going to say that its really low of you to single out one particular fangame to constantly remind a creator why it sucks after stating what you say about the music... because there are plenty of other fangames on MFGG and on the Internet that uses so-called "HQ songs" and "HQ SFX", and that the games are styled like what you see on the SNES and GBA and nobody really cares but you. Being entitled to your opinion is one thing, explaining why the music used doesn't fit in with the atmosphere of the game or that said music hurts ears to the point where you cant enjoy a level are another things and are certainly more productive to discuss about, but its rather inane to just bash on a fangame just because it doesn't meet your rather petty expectations.

ATTENTION! I am in need of coders to help fix Mario's physics for Mysterious Islandz. The game as it stands, is quite glitchy. If you are good at GM8 and is capable of reading FDE Exi's code, PM me!

Spoiler:

I am the true darkness. MFGG stands in my way!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:56 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I agree with TheTwelfthRocket's complaint about the music. On one hand, I understand that fangame makers are working for free, and since there's limited resources to devote to their projects, it's not reasonable to expect them to have a dedicated composer who makes all the music from scratch - which is the only way to ensure a completely consistent style. Some inconsistency is to be expected from a fangame's soundtrack.

On the other hand, the wide range in music quality in All-Star Attack's soundtrack is jarring. The game starts with an orchestrated track during the cutscene, but there are also rips from Mario Party 3 and even SPC-to-MP3 conversions. That's quite a hodgepodge. The graphical quality in this game is leaps and bounds ahead of the original Super Mario World, so why did you take a Yoshi's Island song and apply SMW soundfonts to it? That doesn't make sense.

Music isn't everything in a game, but it's certainly something! To me, music is very important to achieving atmosphere in a game - more important than even graphics - and it's not "petty" to criticize a developer's audio choices when they detract from the overall experience of playing a game.

Moving on, I played most of the levels in the new demo, and it'll suffice to say that they vary greatly in terms of quality, and unfortunately, glitches keep rearing their ugly heads.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:02 pm 
D:
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Why does the artwork have a bunch of characters that aren't even in the game?

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:05 pm 
[*]
Pretty sure that these are unlockable characters

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:57 pm 
The Dark Warrior
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Carbongolem wrote:
Pretty sure that these are unlockable characters

Though I cant speak for the team anymore, let alone tell you that from my involvement with them in the past, Sonic and Wario are planned characters to be in the game as sprites of them do exist but haven't been implemented in the game yet. Ultimately, I'll let Mikeystar confirm it to you guys but I do agree that it is a bit of a spoiler for what FaisalAiden made for the logo.

(*leaves the thread*)

ATTENTION! I am in need of coders to help fix Mario's physics for Mysterious Islandz. The game as it stands, is quite glitchy. If you are good at GM8 and is capable of reading FDE Exi's code, PM me!

Spoiler:

I am the true darkness. MFGG stands in my way!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:47 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
On the other hand, the wide range in music quality in All-Star Attack's soundtrack is jarring. The game starts with an orchestrated track during the cutscene, but there are also rips from Mario Party 3 and even SPC-to-MP3 conversions. That's quite a hodgepodge. The graphical quality in this game is leaps and bounds ahead of the original Super Mario World, so why did you take a Yoshi's Island song and apply SMW soundfonts to it? That doesn't make sense.

There is a variety of musical choices in this game that comes from various video game soundtracks, both new and old. It is completely intentional to have music in this game that does not consistently apply to the SMW Soundfont or to any other soundfont that is out there, unless there are musical composers that can compose a cohesive soundtrack to this game.
There is also variety because we want to be open to musical tracks that are have not been used often in fangames. Though it is jarring, if you have a taste for a variety of music from previous video games, I'm sure you'll like this soundtrack.

We will not be changing the soundtrack's already decided music, regardless of incredibly high expectations for choices in music.

Note: I must let you know that this game dates back to 5-6 years, so some things that have been decided in the game has been put in stone years ago, such as the musical choices.

VinnyVideo wrote:
Moving on, I played most of the levels in the new demo, and it'll suffice to say that they vary greatly in terms of quality, and unfortunately, glitches keep rearing their ugly heads.

Mind you be more specific in pointing out how one level differs greatly from quality than the others? I've been on the move to making this game have 16-bit graphics, and have the levels themselves have a great amount of diversity.
What kind of glitches do you experience? Are they any game crashing bugs?

CouchTomato wrote:
Why does the artwork have a bunch of characters that aren't even in the game?

May I inform you that this game is a Beta version? Not all the characters in that roster will be playable for this demo.
We are on the way to having all the characters in that roster playable (which I do find to be a spoiler but regardless, the players will
find out anyway.) Hold your horses and when this game inches closer to completion, you will have a huge selection of characters to choose from, if you unlock them all of course.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:54 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Quote:
We will not be changing the soundtrack's already decided music, regardless of incredibly high expectations for choices in music.

Note: I must let you know that this game dates back to 5-6 years, so some things that have been decided in the game has been put in stone years ago, such as the musical choices.

Please don't think like this. Sticking to your guns is one thing, but outright shutting out perfectly legitimate criticism because you decided to mishmash something years ago just makes you look averse to progress and development. Good games don't come from decisions you stick to no matter what (be it positive or negative influence), good games come from feedback from those around you and outside your team.

Variety in music and consistency in music are two very different things. Having variety is good (as well as encouraged) as one specific type or genre of music can't cover a lot of ground all on its own (specifically talking about game development here, of course), whereas lacking in consistency (which is what you seem to be doing here) makes the experience very jarring and can take you out of the fun. Sound design is an often overlooked thing in game development, but it can be the make-or-break for many people, myself included.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:57 pm 
[*]
[*]
I agree with Vitiman. :agree:

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:27 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Vitiman makes some excellent points. If you work on a game for a long time, you'll end up changing your mind regarding decisions you made early in the design process. That's not a bad thing - that's an inevitable part of growing as a creator.

As for problems in the levels themselves...

First of all, when I tried to load my save file from a couple days ago, the game crashed. I had to start a new save file in order to play the game again. It seems that once you create a save file in this demo (simply by completing a level), you can't load it without your game crashing.

Here are some of the problems I found in the levels I played today:

Nabbit level
There's a Cheep-Cheep at the very start of the level. You have about one second to get away before you lose a life. This isn't great level design, especially when you've just started the demo.

Also, the wandering Nabbit on the world map frequently leaves the boundaries of the screen.

Florid Acreage
In the second part of the level, the camera follows Mario way too slowly when you jump on the yellow springboard. For a brief moment, Mario will be invisible - and a sitting duck for random Koopa Troopas.

In the later parts of the level, there are a lot of "leaps of faith," and the final Midway Gate is useless.

Nimbus Sanctuary
There's a pipe that can only be entered once. If you try to enter it again, you'll get stuck, as there's no way out.

Blisterin' Blizzard
I don't know what the brown things in the first part of the level are supposed to be, but they clash big time.

Lastly, weird things happen if you touch a Venus Firetrap fireball and a Super Mushroom at the same time - the music doesn't stop playing, even when you return to the world map.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:31 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Vitiman wrote:
Quote:

Please don't think like this. Sticking to your guns is one thing, but outright shutting out perfectly legitimate criticism because you decided to mishmash something years ago just makes you look averse to progress and development. Good games don't come from decisions you stick to no matter what (be it positive or negative influence), good games come from feedback from those around you and outside your team.

Variety in music and consistency in music are two very different things. Having variety is good (as well as encouraged) as one specific type or genre of music can't cover a lot of ground all on its own (specifically talking about game development here, of course), whereas lacking in consistency (which is what you seem to be doing here) makes the experience very jarring and can take you out of the fun. Sound design is an often overlooked thing in game development, but it can be the make-or-break for many people, myself included.

My question is, why is this such an issue an a fan-made game? Why is the musical choices so bothersome? I can understand your opinion but what I am not getting is that this is a project that's not even indie, let alone professional.
The musical choices in this game are solid, in my honest opinion. Not outlandish stuff that just comes up without notice. The music choices overall are individual and not meant to be consistent or cohesive. I don't really understand this issue whatsoever.

If you want this game to be more consistent in this music choice, my point of advice is to be proactive. It's not easy finding a very distinctive soundtrack to be new to the game and yet have astounding variety that gives a good feel to the game itself.

If you don't like the music, there is an option to turn it completely off; heck, there is even an option (said in the Game Information) to play your own music entirely.
I won't continue venting about this issue, and leave it up to others whom play the game for themselves, see how they feel about the aesthetics of this game.
At the end of the day, I am really just having a good time making this game. And besides, from a retrospective viewpoint, haven't you done so yourself?

VinnyVideo wrote:
Nabbit level
There's a Cheep-Cheep at the very start of the level. You have about one second to get away before you lose a life. This isn't great level design, especially when you've just started the demo.

Also, the wandering Nabbit on the world map frequently leaves the boundaries of the screen.

Florid Acreage
In the second part of the level, the camera follows Mario way too slowly when you jump on the yellow springboard. For a brief moment, Mario will be invisible - and a sitting duck for random Koopa Troopas.

In the later parts of the level, there are a lot of "leaps of faith," and the final Midway Gate is useless.

Nimbus Sanctuary
There's a pipe that can only be entered once. If you try to enter it again, you'll get stuck, as there's no way out.

Blisterin' Blizzard
I don't know what the brown things in the first part of the level are supposed to be, but they clash big time.

Lastly, weird things happen if you touch a Venus Firetrap fireball and a Super Mushroom at the same time - the music doesn't stop playing, even when you return to the world map.

Thank you for pointing these things out, sir. I heavily appreciate it. As far as what you call graphical clashing, that's actually misplaced tiles. They're not meant to be in the stage, but rather, Dusty Derelict.

I will be updating the download link with said bugs being fixed. I hope this helps.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 36 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic