Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 113 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [aq]
 Post subject: Re: Thunder Dragon presents: PSYCUTLERY
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:34 pm 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

'sup everyone. I've started a new indie dev company called Eyes in Everything, and we would be thrilled to have y'all keep up with us on Twitter! (website coming later!)
https://twitter.com/EyesEverything

Yes, that's the same URL I've been posting, but it now leads to a new business page, rather than my personal account. So if you followed my personal account, follow this one too! Thanks to our marketing guy, who is also doing the music (hint: he also contributed to Psycho Waluigi!), there will now be regular updates on Psycutlery, as opposed to the very rare occasional post from me alone. So, yeah, if you do the Twitter, follow us please and thank you.~

I've been working hard to get a public test demo ready for y'all some time in the near future. I can't give an exact time frame as of now, but it's happening soon-ish, maybe, so keep on the lookout!

Psychic Cyclopean Silverware IN SPACE!
Follow updates (among other things) on The Twitterbooks!
(if you followed my old personal account, this is a different one - follow it instead!)

Engine test demo and more @
EyesInEverything.com

[au]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:34 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I'd be interested in the idea behind the business name.

I have a twitter I've never used, but it's good to know that people can follow the progress of your current and future projects somewhere now!

Also, maybe it's just me, but I feel like the game logo isn't as polished as the game itself, but perhaps it's only temporary?

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:19 pm 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

If you have any suggestions on how it could be improved, I'd love to hear them. =)

Kritter wrote:
I'd be interested in the idea behind the business name.

It's based on a personal philosophy of mine about finding inspiration everywhere. It is not just to glance upon one's inspiration, which is to say, keeping one's eyes ON everything, but to become one with the inspiration itself, eyes IN everything. Buuuuuuuuut mostly it's because I always draw random eyeballs in my doodles. Especially in things that are not meant to have eyeballs. Like sporks. ;)

(if you followed my old personal account, this is a different one - follow it instead!)

EyesInEverything.com

[au]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:24 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
The logo looks a bit too hand drawn in a world where everything is done with pixelart or digital art. Some of the lines are wobbly or wonky and in general it just doesn't feel like it fits. It could be a bit more "balanced" as it's kind of left-heavy, though I realise it's a spork so I dunno what you can do about that. The dangly "y" seems a bit pointless because it's barely any bigger than the other letters.

Also I just feel like it's missing a bit of "wow" factor to use a cliche.

Here's a 2 second mockup of how it could look with cleaner lines. Ignore the fact that it has zero effort put into it, it just shows that it could look a bit cleaner and more defined with some work.

Attachments:
title2.png
title2.png [ 97.75 KiB | Viewed 656 times ]

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:28 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Thunder Dragon wrote:
Yes, that's the same URL I've been posting, but it now leads to a new business page, rather than my personal account. So if you followed my personal account, follow this one too! Thanks to our marketing guy, who is also doing the music (hint: he also contributed to Psycho Waluigi!), there will now be regular updates on Psycutlery, as opposed to the very rare occasional post from me alone. So, yeah, if you do the Twitter, follow us please and thank you.~

I've got a feeling I know who this marketing guy is - how's he been these days, anyway?

Consider yon Twitter followed!

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:50 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

"Too hand drawn" is an odd criticism for a logo (although I suppose a hand-drawn logo could be difficult to print on a T-shirt or something, but I doubt that was your intention when you designed it).

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:37 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
What I mean is it has imperfections, which in my opinion are a no-no for a game logo. In a lot of cases, the logo is what people see first before anything else. To me it looks like a hand drawn picture that has been scanned. I suppose it's my personal dislike but it just looks wonky and contrasts with the good quality pixel art found within. Same goes for characters in dialogue sequences though to a lesser degree.

Games like Shantae show that you can have high quality digital art for characters work alongside high quality pixel art.

Perhaps it's nitpicky because it's not a big deal but the unicorn feels less polished to me than the pixel art in the game, which contrasts a game that comes off so polished in every other respect. The black outline is inconsistent and the details are all a bit flat and washed out or just blurry.

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:47 pm 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Yeah, my only intention was to shrink it down a bit and stick it in the game -- it actually doesn't look too out of place when in the game, since users will typically play in full screen mode, making it appear as if it was a pixel graphic. With that said, though, Kritter does have a point about the lines. For promotional purposes, I will consider doing a vector version of the logo, although I don't want to lose the hand-drawn look entirely since, well, that's who I am as an illustrator. I just don't do stuff that looks like it was made in a computer program. I've been working in traditional media for over a quarter of a century, and digital art is still very new to me, haha.

But yeah, I don't really like that portrait of Darkles the Disgruntled Unicorn the more I look at it, and I am thinking of redrawing it, heh.

Zero Kirby wrote:
I've got a feeling I know who this marketing guy is - how's he been these days, anyway?

Consider yon Twitter followed!

He's been doing great, actually, and has been quite a big help thus far! Thanks for the follow, ZK (and everyone else who found it through here)!

VinnyVideo wrote:
I think the new name makes more sense - the "Sporklops" name brings to mind a one-eyed protagonist armed with a spoon-fork hybrid, which doesn't precisely describe what the game is about. Either way, I watched your video, and this game's looking tasty! I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Indeed, and also, the word "spork" is apparently trademarked in the UK and I'm not taking any chances. ;P

EyesInEverything.com

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:40 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Thunder Dragon wrote:
I don't want to lose the hand-drawn look entirely since, well, that's who I am as an illustrator. I just don't do stuff that looks like it was made in a computer program

The problem I have with that personally is that in my eyes it clashes with the style of the game. If the game was something with sketchy graphics that were all done in a hand-drawn style then for me the logo would be much more suitable, but the game looks so clean that I feel the logo and characters are kind of jarring. Even things like the eye on the P is just a wobbly shape with misshapen cornea.

Sorry if it sounds harsh and it's fine if you're happy with it, but that's just me giving my 2 cents.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:08 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I agree that the handdrawn art clashes with the pixel art, but I don't think it's a big deal.
You might indeed want to remake the logo though, as it's pretty much the walking advertisement for your game. It's a lot less important with cutscene art, in my opinion.

If you keep the hand-drawn art in the logo that's fine, but I'd at least smoothen the whole thing digitally, to give it a sense of professionalism.

Then again, that's just my mustard (it's the German phrase for "my 2 cents"), so feel free to neglect my opinion ;)

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:49 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
DJ Coco wrote:
I agree that the handdrawn art clashes with the pixel art, but I don't think it's a big deal.
You might indeed want to remake the logo though, as it's pretty much the walking advertisement for your game. It's a lot less important with cutscene art, in my opinion.

If you keep the hand-drawn art in the logo that's fine, but I'd at least smoothen the whole thing digitally, to give it a sense of professionalism.

Then again, that's just my mustard (it's the German phrase for "my 2 cents"), so feel free to neglect my opinion ;)

Well that's basically everything I said.

Character profiles aren't as important, I was kind of just using them as an example, but as you say, the logo is basically the advertisement for the game so I feel like it's important to have a GOOD logo.

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:04 pm 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I actually greatly appreciate the harsh critique, regardless of my own feelings, haha! We've all gotta hear it at some point, so thank you (seriously!). Besides, anything to broaden my horizons and such -- here I am attempting to do vector art for the first time since college (key word: attempting!) with a rough WIP kinda thing. The lines were done in Inkscape (this is my first time really using that program, and I have only had minimal experience with Adobe Illustrator in the past), but I will probably shade it by hand in Photoshop, since that is what I'm more comfortable with. Obviously needs a lot of work, but is it going in an okay direction?

Attachments:
File comment: early vector WIP thingy
title-vector-wip.png
title-vector-wip.png [ 59.08 KiB | Viewed 558 times ]

EyesInEverything.com

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:38 am 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I like the general shape of the new P, but the logo overall would be better if it closer resembled the original. The shape of the older design was much more refined.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:23 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
It's a start! Personally I dislike working in vector programs, but I get their appeal for being able to produce high res artwork. Me, I just make everything HUGE in photoshop and scale down as needed :D

There's a million things you could experiment with for the logo to have it tell people more about the game. For example:

You could work in the design of the Spork character into the logo.. bow, shape and all, though scrunching the letters into that design might not work. You could use the characters colours on the logo itself, or parts of their design, or separate the words Psy and cutlery into two different colours etc

You could also use the logo to demonstrate that psychic powers are part of the main hook of the game. Not sure how.... I guess I envision some kind of purple swishyness on the logo somewhere in my head, or radiating off of it in the main menu.

If you weren't set on the logo itself being a full on spork, you could just have the word PSYCUTLERY as the logo and work the Spork into the logo in a different way, something like:

Though with a big, stylised spork stuck in a square block of watermelon or something rather than a weird grassy pillar :laugh: The possiblities are endless!

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:54 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
I thought that I could try at making a new logo design using the criticisim from Kitter as for the sake of helping out. (And I've got nothing else to do)

Here, I've used figure-ground to make the logo more "defined" and stands out better and therefore makes the logo more likely to catch the attention, hence the "catchy" look. I put the "Spork" character as the centermost and dominant figure of the logo, while keeping it simple and minimalist and that should at least put the "spork" character more important (considering the fact that it's a important element in the game).

The text that I've created, is sharp and thin. And it sorta repenests Psychic themeing, though I don't really know what Psychic thing can really repesent. Though, it fits very well with the Spork character.

I've also inlcuded serveral colour opitions, with green and purple being used in differnet ways. Though, I actually like the ones with outline since that it makes the logo stand out better.

WARNING: Image is very large!
Spoiler:

But really, the logo design is up to you. Though, the game looks pretty promising! :D

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:30 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Nice job, Psid! I dig the overall aesthetic a lot.
It really has that... psy-feeling. It reminds me of Psychonauts which is probably a good thing.

TD's one wasn't too bad either but this design takes the cake in my opinion ;)

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:22 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Hey that's pretty close to what I had in my head, minus the watermelon :)

I'd whack a little bow on that fork though like the character itself just to give it a personal touch, that'd look pretty nice as a log all done up!

DJ Coco wrote:
It really has that... psy-feeling. It reminds me of Psychonauts which is probably a good thing.

On the subject of Psychonauts, that's the logo I had in mind when I suggested some kind of purple psychicness radiating off the logo on the main menu instead of just spinning around in a circle like the current logo does, similar to this but like an outward pulse and less garish (if that makes any sense at all)

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:06 am 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Psid, that is really awesome and I think I'm going to have to steal it. XD Or in any case, use it as a direction for my next redesign. You'll be mentioned somewhere in the credits either way. :thumbsup:

Kritter wrote:
It's a start! Personally I dislike working in vector programs, but I get their appeal for being able to produce high res artwork. Me, I just make everything HUGE in photoshop and scale down as needed :D

Hahahaha oh man, I'm glad I'm not alone there! I actually did make the logo huge in Photoshop, but it didn't seem to work all that well in this case -- I try to avoid using vector programs when at all possible, but since the main criticism was the lines, it seemed the best solution in this case.

EyesInEverything.com

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:24 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I use Inkscape fairly often but I hardly excel at it.
If you want I can turn Psid's logo into vector format for you, as it should be within my capabilities, but it will have to wait until tomorrow as I'm really busy with work right now.

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:40 pm 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

As there are some changes I would make to it, I would prefer to do it myself -- but thanks for the generous offer anyway. :D

EyesInEverything.com

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 113 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic