[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
December update:

https://ragem.itch.io/rpm-rages-platfor ... eam-fusion
http://clickstore.clickteam.com/open-so ... m_movement

The actual movement itself is $4.99, but you can download the movement demos and character assets for free. :cool:

As of January 31, a LITE version is now available to download on the Itch.io link! Clickstore and MFGG versions coming soon-ish.

(Don't worry, Neweegee was cool with his sprites being used for the demo examples. :V)

Shantae HTML5 Test:
https://ragem.itch.io/rpm-shantae-test

September Update:
Heads up. If you're reading this, the old engine source will no longer be available. The engine is currently under-going a transitional phase into a paid endeavor (now called RAGE Platform Movement)!

The rest of the post shall remain unaltered for archival reasons.

I've posted about this a few times in the WIP topic, but I feel like I should show you guys a bit more. :)

Download Yoshi's Island Test:
https://www.mediafire.com/?h7uu6g8tu5tnxr1

Changelog:
Spoiler:

The only required extensions to open the file are the XBOX Gamepad object and Text Blitter, which you can download from the built-in Extension Manager.

Long story short, I've been out of the loop for roughly 6 years now. I got my hands on Clickteam Fusion 2.5 during a Steam sale a while back, and decided to give this stuff another try (especially since I kinda want to make an original game someday). The biggest obstacle was trying to learn all of this stuff again, since I kinda forgot a bunch of stuff over time. :P

I've opted to go for a more flexible route this time, making a single Fastloop platform engine that can be modified into whatever else without much hassle (...yet). The essentials were crammed into a single object, with little widgets being created to expand on it. I know you can use the Platform Movement Object, but...I always preferred making my own thing, really. :V

So, my first test is to replicate Yoshi's Island style movement:

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Admittedly there's not much to do in it right now, aside from testing his movements / breaking the engine. There's a few noticeable issues such as missing effects/animations, wonky egg physics on moving platforms, de-syncing metronome, shaky cam, and the occasional "jammed in scenery". They'll be taken care of down the line. :P

The engine natively supports the XBOX Controller, but I'll get regular joypad support in there soon.

Keyboard Controls
Spoiler:

XBOX Gamepad Controls
Spoiler:

Credit to Neweegee for the Pokemon Sprites, Rager for the YIDS Yoshi, and whoever made that other stuff (I forgot they're old assets i had lol)

Last edited by Rage on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 11 times in total.
RPM - Rage's Platform Movement for CTF2.5

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Generic Platform Engine for Fusion 2.5
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:57 am 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

oh my god is this who i think it is whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa

For some reason, I can't unzip the folder. So the demo isn't working. A bit odd, I was looking forward to trying this.

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:16 am 
Rebirth of Slick
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Zero Kirby wrote:
oh my god is this who i think it is whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa

For some reason, I can't unzip the folder. So the demo isn't working. A bit odd, I was looking forward to trying this.

The one and only. :soveryhappy:

I updated the link. I realized I got an error when I tried something other than 7-Zip, so it should work now...hopefully. :X

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:21 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Works fantastically so far, moonjumping and squish-head sliding across a roof is my new favourite thing. Pretty awesome you even got things like rotating platforms to work. You're my new CTF2.5 hero.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:44 am 
Rebirth of Slick
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:
Works fantastically so far, moonjumping and squish-head sliding across a roof is my new favourite thing. Pretty awesome you even got things like rotating platforms to work. You're my new CTF2.5 hero.

Thanks d00d! Getting those rotating platforms to work properly was a pain in the ass though. :P

The general idea is to take the difference between the platform's X/Y in the previous frame compared to what it is now, and apply the difference towards the player. Problem is that Fusion had the tendency to over-shoot the position, or if it did work it wouldn't line up properly if you paused it. Or if you inexplicably put two rotating platforms that pass through each other, you launch into orbit.

Ultimately I had to fastloop it and make it immune to pausing (mostly), and Fusion said ok. :V

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:11 pm 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

This is pretty neat! You should totally release the source someday, even if it is just the generic platformer portion without all the Yoshi stuff. I could learn a lot from this, haha.

Psychic Cyclopean Silverware IN SPACE!
Follow updates (among other things) on The Twitterbooks!
(if you followed my old personal account, this is a different one - follow it instead!)

Engine test demo and more @
EyesInEverything.com

[at]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:28 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Thunder Dragon wrote:
This is pretty neat! You should totally release the source someday, even if it is just the generic platformer portion without all the Yoshi stuff. I could learn a lot from this, haha.
Really? You never striked me as someone that needed to learn about platformers :P Althoooough... I saw a snifit glitch through the floor in Toadette Strikes....

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:05 pm 
Rebirth of Slick
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Thunder Dragon wrote:

oh hai TD long time no see!

If I do release the source, the only thing I intended to give out was the basic movement itself. I was thinking at least throw in a few basic examples on how to add stuff on top of it, but something like the Yoshi's Island thing would only exist to show what can be done with it. I can't do everything for ya. :P

...perhaps this could serve as a basis for a potential fangame, too.

As it now all you have to do is put your character into a certain group, and all of the basic animations/movements/camera are already done for you. You don't need to copy pasta a bunch of events since everything is contained in the Mask object itself (which was only possible by abusing a quirk with Fusion's group naming). I wanna clean up the events, write better comments, and develop a couple more "tests" before I release it out into the wild.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:13 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Rage wrote:
Thunder Dragon wrote:
I can't do everything for ya. :P

You totally can!

It would be really cool though to see a Yoshi's Island fangame, I don't know if there's ever actually been one on MFGG, let alone one with a really good engine. Just leave Baby Mario at home so we don't have to deal with his whining. :whoops:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:46 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

This is quite a nifty Yoshi's Island engine. It's one of the best YI engines I've seen. I'd love to see more Yoshi fangames on MFGG - Jeorge535 is the only other MFGGer I know of to be working on a YI fangame.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:17 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Now that I was able to try this out-

It's pretty good! I'm looking forward to what you do with this.

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:48 pm 
Mt. Lavalava and all that jazz
[*]
[*]
[*]
It's freaking incredible

You should definitely make a fangame with this. Especially if you eventually wanna make a full on indie game, finishing a whole Yoshi game wouldn't be a waste of time at all. I mean you've already developed such an awesome engine... You'd be used to it again, even more experienced, and more ready to take on a bigger project.

YouTube | Tumblr | Twitter

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:23 pm 
Always got a bone to pick
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
It feels like just yesterday you were tossing Bowser down stairs and telling everyone you were gonna go get a gun and shoot the guy who stole your TV. :')

It's pretty cool, but I notice a major flaw: Yoshi has no parabola. That is, when you let go of jump, he immediately drops down at full speed. I'm not sure how you're calculating his full jump height, but what I generally do is set Yoshi's state to identical to when he's at the top of his jump and set any apex value to his current Y position. This causes him to immediately stop but still accelerate down, making short hops much more intuitive.

Image Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:54 pm 
Rebirth of Slick
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
The way jump height works is when you let go of jump early, it applies your default gravity times a "Jump Release" variable, which stays in effect until you reach a certain speed (based on 50% of your max jump strength). You can see how it works in the "Base Engine" frame. Jump Height is completely disabled if you set the value to 0.

Yoshi does fall relativity quick in Yoshi's Island if you let go early, but I could've overdone it. Nothing a small value change can't fix. :P

Thanks for the comments folks! The idea of a potential Yoshi fangame has been bouncing around in my head for a little while, which is kinda why I chose YI as a first test. Nothing's really set in stone so we'll see. :V

I'm still gonna shoot that ***hole who stole my TV though. >:[

EDIT: Looking at it again, I'll probably end up changing how Jump Height works. It's somewhat limited on how varied the height can be the lower the Release value is. Yoshi is still prolly gonna fall like a rock anyway. :P

DOUBLE EDIT: Decided to add a new "Jump Height" modifier, which required changing how jumping works. Now when you hold jump, your Jump Speed will stay the same until Jump Height reaches whatever value set. Jump Release is still there to make you fall faster if needed. It'll be uploaded properly when I get more junk in.

Last edited by Rage on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:05 pm 
It's-Cam-Tro!
[*]
[*]
I love this, but can I ask you why? Why the HP is so big and not mention it's spot on top right on 1 and 2 screenshot, and why it was placed in top and left in third screenshot?

But, keep up good works for this fangame! ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:19 pm 
Rebirth of Slick
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
.:|CamTro|:. wrote:
I love this, but can I ask you why? Why the HP is so big and not mention it's spot on top right on 1 and 2 screenshot, and why it was placed in top and left in third screenshot?

But, keep up good works for this fangame! ;)

It moves based on where Yoshi is located on the screen. The countdown timer in the normal games works like this.

The HP is big because I never bothered to make it any smaller when I first started. :D It can all change at any time though.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:40 pm 
Mt. Lavalava and all that jazz
[*]
[*]
[*]
I was just surprised at how flawless the movement felt. It really does feel almost exactly like YI.

You better show us screenshots if you decide to do anything more with it :D

YouTube | Tumblr | Twitter

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:50 pm 
Formally Zonee.
[*]
I was making a YI game :( but after seeing this I lost motivation.

Seriously this is amazing! Good work :biggrin:.
good luck on this!

I'll probably still work on my YI game as I got my motivation back xD The more Yoshi Island fangames the better!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:02 pm 
Rebirth of Slick
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
So anyways I totally didn't forget about this. I just kinda...re-did 90% of the engine. :whoops: Essentially I made a new collision system that can be modified on the fly during runtime, and streamlined most of the other events to be a little less complicated.

I've updated the original post with a link to the source of the engine itself, which includes a separate example I was working on aside from the Yoshi's Island example. Neweegee made some pretty nice looking Pokemon sprites and had to try them out on something. :P

Pretty sure the engine probably still has a few bugs in there, so let me know what you can find. I'll probably submit this to the main site pretty soon too. :V

Ss uh like have fun and junk and give credit if for some reason you actually like it and use it and yeah

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:05 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
This is stellar! That greninja demo is especially fluid and nice. I could quite easily work with this as a base. Will you continue to work on this, say adding things like Warp Pipes or other typically Mario-like things?

I assume adding other things like breakable blocks and whatnot wouldn't be too difficult.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 41 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic