Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 206 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Bowser in the Horrible Nightmare [It's FIXED...AGAIN!]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:40 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
soopakoopa wrote:
First of all, the glow effect on the fire is orange...not green. And while it's probably a bit brighter than it should be, it's certainly not "neon." They looked orange on my old comp, and they still look orange on my new comp.

I think she is referring to the green fireballs that are created by those green Pansers.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:23 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

The lighting is a bit trippy at times, and I can see how it might bother people. The lighting isn't as big an issue for me as the difficulty, however. Unless I'm missing something obvious, the 1-6 boss is absolutely sadistic - especially the beak attack that knocks three chunks off of your lifebar in one fell swoop.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:03 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
Unless I'm missing something obvious, the 1-6 boss is absolutely sadistic - especially the beak attack that knocks three chunks off of your lifebar in one fell swoop.

...Yes. It is. That is, once again, the entire point of the game. It's supposed to be ridiculously hard. I'm not just brushing off criticism or not admitting error here; it was a completely, fully, 100% intentional choice to make the game, especially the bosses, merciless. It isn't a design flaw or an error in translating the ideas from my brain to the game. It's the entire point of the game. If you see the extreme difficulty as a bad thing in the first place, this game probably isn't for you.

Although I am actually sort of starting to wonder why I thought making my first major project a hyper-niche game would be a good idea.

PS: All you have to do to dodge the beak attack is get a running start, get up close, and jump over him.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:47 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
soopakoopa wrote:
It's supposed to be ridiculously hard.

There's nothing specifically wrong with a game being difficult. In this case, however, the second boss comes across as far more difficult than the first. Games should be relatively easy in the beginning and relatively hard in the end, not relatively hard before the game is 25% done.

Quote:
If you see the extreme difficulty as a bad thing in the first place, this game probably isn't for you.

Then it also isn't for a lot of other MFGGers, based on comments made while Vinny was streaming your game.

It's not a bad idea to listen to players criticizing an aspect that may be difficult. After testing your own game so many times, it tends to become old hat to you, which can make it hard to gauge the difficulty curve without outside input.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:54 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
soopakoopa wrote:
the entire point of the game. It's supposed to be ridiculously hard.

In that case, carry on. I have nothing to really say about it anymore, I guess.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:16 am 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Cap'n Coconuts wrote:
Quote:
If you see the extreme difficulty as a bad thing in the first place, this game probably isn't for you.

Then it also isn't for a lot of other MFGGers, based on comments made while Vinny was streaming your game.

Exactly. It's not for a lot of MFGGers. It's for the ones who want to play a really hard game.

Although I suppose your point about the difficulty curve not being very even is fairly valid. It's pretty hard to make a smooth difficulty curve in a game that's intended to be hard from the outset, and I probably didn't devote enough time to that aspect.

If it seems like I'm being sort of dismissive at this point, I've quite honestly just kind of run out of steam with this game (and it doesn't help that I don't have nearly as many opportunities to work on it.) I'm actually a bit surprised that I even completed this project in the first place. I feel kind of dumb about making my first finished project such a niche kind of game, and it was actually supposed to be a kind of short side project for me to polish up my skills on before trying to reboot YI:DD, but it ended up taking a lot longer than I expected.

Edit: Wait a minute. I...just realized that this...got game of the month? Am I being pranked here?

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:23 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
soopakoopa wrote:
Edit: Wait a minute. I...just realized that this...got game of the month? Am I being pranked here?

No, you are not being pranked here. You had released a couple demos in November, which might be why your game got the game of the month award of November 2015.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:23 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
soopakoopa wrote:
Exactly. It's not for a lot of MFGGers. It's for the ones who want to play a really hard game.

That may be true, but nonetheless I have a word of caution: since it's posted on MFGG, pretty much every MFGGer is allowed to have an opinion on it. There was actually an epic mainsite argument around Mario Tails which has to do with fan game audiences (tl;dr: your audience is wherever you put the game).

Quote:
Although I suppose your point about the difficulty curve not being very even is fairly valid.

That is a far better response to criticism of difficulty than what I've seen from people like Hello. His response to criticism of Super Mario Dynamo's difficulty was to pretend the game was perfectly balanced and fair and have NPCs in Hello Fangaming Collection believe it as well. Needless to say, it incensed quite a few people (including me).

Quote:
I've quite honestly just kind of run out of steam with this game

It's fine if you want to stop working on it. Fan gaming is a hobby, and you're not actually obligated to do anything. However, be aware that people will review and judge the game as-is. If you want more positive reviews, it'd be a good idea to work on game balance. :)

Quote:

While people still feel there are issues of the game, GotM is a sign that you must have done something right. :) Vinny was actually doing pretty fine in your game up until 1-6.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:23 am 
I hate yellow balls of consumption.
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Well, I finally managed to beat World 1 and World 2, so allow me to give my opinions.

First of all, World 1's final boss was an absolute nightmare. You need to have lightning-quick execution on your moves in order to be able to hit him, and even then you'll sometimes be a little too slow in order to get a hit on him. This is phase one, mind you.

Now, there were some instances where I was certainly a little too slow to be able to damage him, but there were a good, solid 7 times where, by all rights, I should have gotten a hit on him. This unfortunately resulted in more deaths than was necessary. Did I mention that this fool takes 9 hits to defeat? I mean, 3 to 5 hits would be alright for a World 1 boss, but 9?! You've gotta be joking.

Some other things that did not help was the unskippable cutscene. Why is it that we can skip a cutscene that you'll only play once, but not one that you'll be seeing for all of 40 times? Oh yes, and the hitbox for the flamethrower could use a bit of tweaking.

But, on the bright side, one of the upgrades available for defeating him is extra health, so that's nice!

Anyways, moving on to World 2: I thought that it was amazing. Not counting the boss or any issues that I'll be discussing in a bit, a lot of World 2 was very solid. In fact, I might have even enjoyed it more than World 1.

But things still aren't 100% A-Okay. There's unfortunately an enemy that's close enough to the checkpoint in 2-1 that, if you don't know how to deal with it, can kill you before you can even move. Oh yeah, and the game also saves at this point, so if you decide to take a break, you need to remember that there's an enemy that's coming for your face and you'd better get a move on.

Also, I don't know what's causing this, but there's an error that kept appearing after 1-4 when I paused the game. It would say that it was trying to draw an unknown surface and would crash. That's definitely a big one that, if you know how to fix it, needs fixing.
Oh yeah, and pausing the game while Bowser is recovering near the checkpoint freezes the game.

World 2-3 threw me off at first, but I don't have much to say other than that the first part wasn't exactly my favorite. Yes, it's supposed to be pitch black with torches that you need to light up in order to open the door, but I didn't pick up on it right away and I just didn't really like it that much. At least it only lasts one level.

Oh yes, and World 2's end boss was also very difficult to get past. Fortunately, the patterns were easier to memorize, but they also required quick input in order to be defeated. I'm specifically talking about the breathing part.

I'm probably missing some other stuff, too, but this is what I've got on my mind.

I'd say to anyone else reading this (this doesn't include soopakoopa), if you can manage to get past the first boss, the game starts to become a much more fun experience. Otherwise, good luck.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:48 am 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Blutorus wrote:
I'd say to anyone else reading this (this doesn't include soopakoopa), if you can manage to get past the first boss, the game starts to become a much more fun experience. Otherwise, good luck.

That may be true. Nonetheless, people who can only access one world will judge the game based on that one world alone, and they can't really be blamed for that.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:46 pm 
I hate yellow balls of consumption.
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Cap'n Coconuts wrote:
That may be true. Nonetheless, people who can only access one world will judge the game based on that one world alone, and they can't really be blamed for that.

That is an unfortunate thing that will be true for many people.

Anyway, I'd just like to say that I have completed this game. Expect to see a review on the mainsite soon. ;)

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:08 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
So, I had tried out the full version, and I want to say that I have enjoyed it more than the last demo of November. Though, at one point, I had noticed a small graphical glitch. When you punch (or breath fire) the Lantern Ghosts, their sprite changes into a blue Shy Guy.

User page at mfgg.net

[it]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:23 pm 
Give me all your Chill Clawbsters
[*]
[*]
this game is awesome, hard, but awesome!

[18:08] == Valtries was kicked from #D-club by Darkonius64 [YOU HAVE NO DONGS TO EXPAND]

I've released an episode! Go check it out m8
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17790

ImageImage

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:37 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Thanks, I honestly did put quite a bit of effort into it...way more than I originally intended to, actually. To give credit where credit is due, though, I'm sort of glad that I compromised on some stuff like adding checkpoints and increasing starting life count. If nothing else, I doubt anybody would have played far enough into the game to actually enjoy it if I hadn't.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:02 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I found a glitch in 1-2! If you break the chunk the end, it is possible for Bowser to fall into the pitfall that is in the left of the chunk. When that happens, the level will restart back into the beginning, and in that point, Bowser will start to act like what he'd usually do when a completes a level. When Bowser jumps to the right side of the screen, the game will go into the next area of the level, which, in that part, Bowser will start right above a pitfall. After Bowser falls into the pitfall, the level will restart, with Bowser acting normal.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:14 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Dude, I'm sorry, but these bosses need their health to be cut down. Especially the world 1 boss, the amount of damage he does, the lightning reflex movement you need to do to damage him and the RNG make him about almost impossible to beat not to mention he's the first world boss of the game. It's a shame, I want to see what the rest of the worlds are like because of the beautiful atmosphere and work put into them. the cutscenes are neat as well although sometimes I wish I had an option to skip them. So far, I can only get up to the world 1 boss.

[br]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:04 pm 
Seer of Doom
[*]
Geez, I should be more careful with the flow of the posts. Talked about that teaser from earlier, and it ended up here...

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:27 pm 
[*]
The link's broken! Could you reupload?

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:00 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Did you try to download the game in the main site, tymine? Here's a link to it:

https://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&pa ... 2&id=32310

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:24 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I still have a copy of this game on my desktop I could reupload for you, but Im not positive it's the latest version.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 206 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic