Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next  [ 206 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Bowser in the Horrible Nightmare [It's FIXED...AGAIN!]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:52 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
It's finished! The final version is released!

About the Game

Okay, given the name of this project, the first question to come to your mind is probably, "If a game called 'Bowser in the Horrible
Nightmare' isn't a horror game, then what sort of game IS it?
" Well, allow me to get to that, dear hopefully-future-player!

Genre-wise, this would probably qualify as an action-adventure. But the tone of it isn't exactly the typical non-stop bashfest with
bright colors flying everywhere. Though the very first level is quite Mario-ish, it quickly starts to become very somber, dark and
mysterious. What I'm aiming for is a gripping atmosphere which really draws the player in. But don't think for a second that this
is one of those "art" games where you just wander around a greyscale world and nothing really happens. This game contains just
as much classic challenge as it does newfangled atmospheric effects, and it will punish you if you're not constantly alert
and careful. Subcon is crawling with the minions of the resurrected King Wart, who is making the final preparations for his ultimate
plan (The in-game intro explains this in much greater detail.)

But you're not just any old chump, you're Bowser, king of the Koopas, and don't you forget it!

AN IMPORTANT NOTE: This game is designed for Fullscreen play. Playing in the tiny 400x300 window will make seeing nearly
impossible in certain levels. You can still switch to windowed mode by pressing F4, but I strongly advise that you don't.

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Controls and basic Mechanics:
Basic controls:
Arrow keys: Walk
Z: Run
X: Leap
C: Punch
Tap V: Shoot fireball
Hold V: Fire breath.
Arrow keys while breathing fire: Aim fire breath (sort of)
Down Arrow while airborne: Bowser Bomb (ground pound)
Enter Key: Pause

Basic Gameplay Mechanics

- There is a slight delay between pressing the X button and actually jumping. During this delay, Bowser
will lose a bit of momentum. However, once he takes off, he'll catapult ahead with a bit more velocity
than he was initially running with. It sounds awkward, but it's a lot more fun than "normal" jumping in
my opinion.

- Bowser falls hard and fast, and he doesn't bounce after or even lose momentum from stomping small
enemies. He also loses most horizontal speed after hitting the ground, so don't worry about slipping.

- Bowser Bomb creates shockwaves upon hitting the ground; these shockwaves can KO a whole group of
small enemies almost instantly. The higher you initiate Bowser Bomb from, the farther the shockwaves travel.

- If you see a tuft of rustling red grass, you can use the Bowser Bomb's shockwaves to uproot a veggie!
Currently, there are only two veggies in the game: the Super Veggie, which heals 1 pip of health, and the
1-up Veggie, which grants an extra life. 1-up Veggies are generally hidden, so search high and low for them
and don't leave a single one behind!

- There are only 2 "checkpoints" per world in this game; the intro screens for the 1st and 4th level of each
world act as save points. These aren't exactly implemented yet though, as the demo only features 3 levels.
So you'll definitely be wanting to hog those 1-ups, just like I said.

Once I finish officially finish World 1, the game will get a title screen which will contain, aside from "New Game"
and "Load Game" buttons, an in-game manual which will allow me to basically crop out this section.

But you're not here to read paragraph after paragraph on how unique I think my game is, are you?
Of course not! You're here to play the demo and see whether it's actually anything special or not!

Download the game here!

Last edited by soopakoopa on Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 12 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Bowser in the Horrible Nightmare [Demo build]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:57 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I haven't played the game yet (downloading it now), but aesthetically speaking, if you want to draw the player in, those Bowser sprites might not be the most fitting graphics.

User page at mfgg.net

[mx]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:11 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I like it.

However, here's some suggestions for improvement. I really like the introductory cutscene. Did you work on that song? Cus it sounds nice and it fits.
  • Text scrolling could be slower.
  • Bowser physics could use some work.
  • Level design could use some work.
  • The game lags when fire bloom flowers are present.
  • The HUD could be made to look nicer.
  • Cavern could be made a bit brighter so I don't have to perform leaps of faith. Bright points near bottomless pits might help out the level design.

I'll try it out for a while longer to see if I can spot anything else.

[11:11:51 PM] Stacks-of-Phone: Gato will eventually ascend, his consciousness transferred to hard disk
[11:12:00 PM] Stacks-of-Phone: he lives the rest of his life, a live2D facerig

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:22 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Gato wrote:
I like it.

However, here's some suggestions for improvement. I really like the introductory cutscene. Did you work on that song? Cus it sounds nice and it fits. Nah, it's the intro music from Yoshi's island DS
  • Text scrolling could be slower. At first I was afraid to make it slower, but come to think of it it does seem a bit fast and people could skip it anyway
    if they really just didn't care.
  • Bowser physics could use some work. That's a kind of general critique. What aspects need working on?
  • Level design could use some work. Once again, that's pretty ambiguous.
  • The game lags when fire bloom flowers are present. Not sure what's with that, I don't get any noticeable lag from it on my computer, and my
    computer isn't a gaming computer or anything.
  • The HUD could be made to look nicer. Once again, that's way too general for me to work with.
  • Cavern could be made a bit brighter so I don't have to perform leaps of faith. Bright points near bottomless pits might help out the level design.
    I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I put lanterns by each pit. I suppose I could put some sort of signs or something, though.

User page at mfgg.net

[mx]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:35 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
soopakoopa wrote:
That's a kind of general critique. What aspects need working on?

Bowser's physics seem too stiff atm. Have you considered adding button press/release friction? Other than that, at times it feels like Bowser can barely jump and at others you have to be really careful as to where you land due to jump height disparity vs fall speed. This combination doesn't allow for a great deal of reaction time.

soopakoopa wrote:
Once again, that's pretty ambiguous.

You're gonna have to look deep into that one cus it's all about how you set up your physics. Going for the original subcon level design might not be a good fit for the type of physics you're going for especially with what I mentioned before.

soopakoopa wrote:
Not sure what's with that, I don't get any noticeable lag from it on my computer, and my

I'm running Windows 8, but I do notice a huge lag.

soopakoopa wrote:
Once again, that's way too general for me to work with.

I would go for a better mugshot of Bowser, make the health stand out more as the focus of the HUD. The bar that indicates fire stock could use some fire-attributed illustration to make it visibly clear that is what it's for.

Last edited by Gato on Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[11:11:51 PM] Stacks-of-Phone: Gato will eventually ascend, his consciousness transferred to hard disk
[11:12:00 PM] Stacks-of-Phone: he lives the rest of his life, a live2D facerig

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:38 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I really like what you've got, but I feel the platforming is extremely punishing in the second level, especially since you've got a lives system in the game. It took me a very long time to get used to the controls (and I actually had to download Joy2Key because they're so complicated), but they feel alright. Sometimes, though, I feel as if my death wasn't my mistake, and more of the lag on jumping and shooting fireballs.

This lag shouldn't be removed entirely, but on those two abilities, I'd tone it down a bit. All in all, it's a very promising game, and drew me in for awhile. But it's not engaging or rewarding enough for me to beat that second level, since whenever I fall off the logs five times, I have to start the entire game over again.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:38 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Gato wrote:
soopakoopa wrote:
Gato wrote:
I like it.

However, here's some suggestions for improvement. I really like the introductory cutscene. Did you work on that song? Cus it sounds nice and it fits. Nah, it's the intro music from Yoshi's island DS
  • Text scrolling could be slower. At first I was afraid to make it slower, but come to think of it it does seem a bit fast and people could skip it anyway
    if they really just didn't care.
  • Bowser physics could use some work. That's a kind of general critique. What aspects need working on?
  • Level design could use some work. Once again, that's pretty ambiguous.
  • The game lags when fire bloom flowers are present. Not sure what's with that, I don't get any noticeable lag from it on my computer, and my
  • The HUD could be made to look nicer. Once again, that's way too general for me to work with.
    I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I put lanterns by each pit. I suppose I could put some sort of signs or something, though.

Bowser's physics seem too stiff atm. Have you considered adding button press/release friction? Other than that, at times it feels like Bowser can barely jump and at others you have to be really careful as to where you land due to jump height disparity vs fall speed. This combination doesn't allow for a great deal of reaction time.

You're gonna have to look deep into that one cus it's all about how you set up your physics. Going for the original subcon level design might not be a good fit for the type of physics you're going for especially with what I mentioned before.

I'm running Windows 8, but I do notice a huge lag.

I would go for a better mugshot of Bowser, make the health stand out more as the focus of the HUD. The bar that indicates fire stock could use some fire-attributed illustration to make it visibly clear that is what it's for.

There is actually friction/sliding, I guess I just added TOO much friction. As for jumping, I don't know what you mean.
If you hold the jump button you jump higher. If you don't, you jump lower.

@ Willsaber: I'll definitely look into that.

Last edited by soopakoopa on Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:39 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Is this only a 1 level demo? I can't seem to break the nightmare chunk and advance.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:40 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
LuigiM9 wrote:
Is this only a 1 level demo? I can't seem to break the nightmare chunk and advance.

You just punch it 3 times.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Bowser in the Horrible Nightmare [Demo build 2]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:29 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Okay, I've updated the demo, and Bowser now has significantly more smooth, "easy" controls.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:08 am 
[*]
You should change the first gap in 1-3 to get over. It's hard to see those logs.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:03 pm 
I hate yellow balls of consumption.
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I tried it out, and it's pretty fun. I know that you wanted to give Bowser a different jump, but I think he comes to the ground WAY too fast.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:38 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Now that I'm getting pretty close to finishing up World 1, I think it's time to start talking concepts.

First of all, do you think I should try giving each world some sort of "emphasis"? For example, while World
1 is going to feature some tricky bosses, the main challenge is definitely platforming. The thing is, with
all of the actions I gave to Bowser, I think there's ample room for more combat-focused and puzzle-focused
levels. What do you guys think?

Secondly, I was considering some kind of character-progression system in which you obtain "dreamy powers"
which are essentially either upgrades to your current abilities or independent special abilities. There are a few
ways I could do this:

- I could add a currency system (I'll call it "confidence", represented by iridescent coins collected from grass and
enemies.) which allow you to buy dreamy powers from the pause screen.

- I could take a somewhat Megaman sort of approach where after each boss you're give the option to pick from
one (and ONLY ONE) of three available dreamy powers which are in someway related to the boss that you beat which
you then take with you for the rest of the journey. Personally, I think this option would be the best in terms of replay
value since you could play the game many times and end up with a different set of powers each time.

- I could completely forego character progression and keep things simple. Less fun and interesting to replay, but
a lot easier to program.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:58 pm 
I hate yellow balls of consumption.
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I like the second idea of character progression the best. It gives the game a pump of strategy that could work well.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:03 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I agree with Blutorus.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:18 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
In case anybody's still following this, this project is NOT dead; the boss has just been giving me a LOT of trouble. It's a ton of work spriting, programming and
playtesting large bosses with lots of attacks and different phases. In fact, this is a generally slow (but fun) project to work on. Anyway, I'm TECHNICALLY done
with the boss itself, but I still have to make the boss intro cutscene and all of the Dreamy Powers. So World 1 should be done pretty soon. Granted I'm ALWAYS
saying things will be done "pretty soon", but this time I'm at least 15% more certain than usual.

Since I want to keep you guessing, interested and paying attention, here's some sort of cryptic hype preview image of said boss.

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:21 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Looks like a dinosaur with floating limbs.

Spoiler:

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:26 pm 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

It looks like the skeleton of a giant dog to me :O

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:23 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
It looks like that purple bird thing from SMB2.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:27 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Willsaber wrote:
It looks like that purple bird thing from SMB2.

You're close. Veeeeery close.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next  [ 206 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic