Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next  [ 281 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
SUPER MARIO Power Star Frenzy, New 2017 Demo released! Studio Port WIP.
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: The SUPER MARIO MADNESS Topic
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:34 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
smellyness should also be spelled smelliness

hi new page

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:43 am 
D:
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

LuigiM9 wrote:
smellyness should also be spelled smelliness

hi new page

Good call. Also I forgot to mention from the screenshots... "Para-troopa" should just be Paratroopa.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:04 pm 
D:
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Got this error message while trying to play the first star of Mushroom Mountain:

Quote:
for object obj_silverstar:

Data structure with index does not exist.

Was able to overcome it by going into the nearby minigame, leaving, and then trying the stage again.

Also, what's the point of having a Mushroom in your slot if there's no tiny Mario, and it doesn't actually heal you either?

EDIT:

Another problem, same issue with entering the cave stage and piranha plant stage.

Quote:

for object obj_redring:

EDIT 2:

Finally finished the demo... first I'll get the last of the grammar/spelling stuff out of the way (it may seem trivial, but actually writing stuff correctly is a sign of game polish):

Cave level
"Most of the caves here act very strange... At one point a cave is open and another time it is closed, only leaving a couple of cracks."
Very awkward quote here. Suggestion:

"Most of the caves here act very strangely... A cave might be open at one point, and another time it might be closed, only leaving a few cracks."

"Good job! I see you fonud the YELLOW SWITCH! Also the YELLOW SWITCH BLOCKS contain MUSHROOMS." - Needs a comma after also.

Stormy level

"Be carful [sic] of the LIGHTNING! Watch it's pattern and choose the right time to jump." - Careful, and its, not "it's."

End

"CONGRADULATIONS [sic]! You just unlocked hardcore mode!" - Congratulations, not congradulations.

Anyways...

Additional impressions are that the game is REALLY freaking hard. I dunno how many lives I lost (a good chunk were due to the screen change thing and the veggie gimps all over), but it was a lot. One big thing that made it much more difficult are that extra lives are extremely hard to come by. The only way to get them is either by luck, or by minigame. And the minigame is extremely hard. I think I got all the purple coins like once in 20 tries. Because of that, I actually just restarted the game every time I lost a life. That got pretty annoying, and that was compounded by all the glitches I got every time (see above). My only suggestions here are make 1-ups easier to obtain somehow... and either tone down the difficulty for this world, or just make this a brutally sadistic game and make each world even harder. Some examples... The difficulty curve has to be consistent, at least.

Cave level - That third star, the star switch dash was frustrating. I was surprised the timer was so short for a run that required so many precision jumps.

Piranha plant level - The first and third star were just brutal... especially the music boxes. Having to jump across that first set without holding the jump button was frustrating -- but luckily I found a way around that (just run straight at the last one and let go of the jump button). The third star -- having to jump across all those paragaloombas -- was a page taken out of a late game level. Luckily I bypassed that all with Racoon Mario after failing multiple times.

Stormy level - I dunno, climbing vines is kind of glitchy. If you ever hold up while jumping, you don't really get off the vine because you just regrab it. Because of that, it's really hard to get any vertical jump. That was lethal in getting the last silver star, because I literally found it impossible to reach that ledge from the vine. If you jumped, you'd just do a weak jump and fall to your death below. I had to work around that by just wall jumping to the star -- I'm not sure if that was intentional though.

Last suggestion: It'd be nice to have a resolution setting. The native resolution is ridiculously tiny, and I have to stretch the window every time I restarted the game (which was very often). And since it's free stretch, I probably messed up the proportions every time.

Overall very solid game though. Can be a top tier fangame if those issues are fixed. ;)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:43 pm 
Just that RANDOM GUY!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
CouchTomato wrote:
Got this error message while trying to play the first star of Mushroom Mountain:

Quote:

Was able to overcome it by going into the nearby minigame, leaving, and then trying the stage again.

Also, what's the point of having a Mushroom in your slot if there's no tiny Mario, and it doesn't actually heal you either?

EDIT:

Another problem, same issue with entering the cave stage and piranha plant stage.

Quote:

for object obj_redring:

EDIT 2:

Finally finished the demo... first I'll get the last of the grammar/spelling stuff out of the way (it may seem trivial, but actually writing stuff correctly is a sign of game polish):

Cave level
"Most of the caves here act very strange... At one point a cave is open and another time it is closed, only leaving a couple of cracks."
Very awkward quote here. Suggestion:

"Most of the caves here act very strangely... A cave might be open at one point, and another time it might be closed, only leaving a few cracks."

"Good job! I see you fonud the YELLOW SWITCH! Also the YELLOW SWITCH BLOCKS contain MUSHROOMS." - Needs a comma after also.

Stormy level

"Be carful [sic] of the LIGHTNING! Watch it's pattern and choose the right time to jump." - Careful, and its, not "it's."

End

"CONGRADULATIONS [sic]! You just unlocked hardcore mode!" - Congratulations, not congradulations.

Anyways...

Additional impressions are that the game is REALLY freaking hard. I dunno how many lives I lost (a good chunk were due to the screen change thing and the veggie gimps all over), but it was a lot. One big thing that made it much more difficult are that extra lives are extremely hard to come by. The only way to get them is either by luck, or by minigame. And the minigame is extremely hard. I think I got all the purple coins like once in 20 tries. Because of that, I actually just restarted the game every time I lost a life. That got pretty annoying, and that was compounded by all the glitches I got every time (see above). My only suggestions here are make 1-ups easier to obtain somehow... and either tone down the difficulty for this world, or just make this a brutally sadistic game and make each world even harder. Some examples... The difficulty curve has to be consistent, at least.

Cave level - That third star, the star switch dash was frustrating. I was surprised the timer was so short for a run that required so many precision jumps.

Piranha plant level - The first and third star were just brutal... especially the music boxes. Having to jump across that first set without holding the jump button was frustrating -- but luckily I found a way around that (just run straight at the last one and let go of the jump button). The third star -- having to jump across all those paragaloombas -- was a page taken out of a late game level. Luckily I bypassed that all with Racoon Mario after failing multiple times.

Stormy level - I dunno, climbing vines is kind of glitchy. If you ever hold up while jumping, you don't really get off the vine because you just regrab it. Because of that, it's really hard to get any vertical jump. That was lethal in getting the last silver star, because I literally found it impossible to reach that ledge from the vine. If you jumped, you'd just do a weak jump and fall to your death below. I had to work around that by just wall jumping to the star -- I'm not sure if that was intentional though.

Last suggestion: It'd be nice to have a resolution setting. The native resolution is ridiculously tiny, and I have to stretch the window every time I restarted the game (which was very often). And since it's free stretch, I probably messed up the proportions every time.

The silver star and red ring issues are problems with loading a save file. I know it's odd. But I reworked the saving system so it should be fine now.
The mushroom issue happened because I forgot to remove mushrooms in your reserve box.
Overall very solid game though. Can be a top tier fangame if those issues are fixed. ;)

Okay, first of all I fixed many of these bugs already in the Chapter 1 update to be released soon. ;)
I fixed those grammar errors too.
I leveled down the difficulty a bit and included more lives in certain levels. (The new mystery boxes will also come with lives.) ;)
I added more time to the switch stars.
I toned down the prices a bit as well in the shop.
I also-re worked the whole saves thing. If you get a game over you will automatically get 5 lives upon loading a game file.
In the Piranha Plant Forest level the vines are climbable. :3 I should have put a toad somewhere there. I added one in the new version.
Checkpoints have been added to certain stars in the game.
Yes, wall jumping is intended. :3
I added a Resolution Setting a while ago. Press F4 to change it.
Thank you for posting the bugs and issues it really helps me out, so I can make this game as great as I can.

Those aside I plan on having some features that I will not showcase in order to keep you guys anticipated.
Some secrets... New items and overall new things. Stay tuned. :D

Sadly due to new things I started adding and a few bugs I created, as well as levels not being finished...
I have to push the release date of PSF Chapter 1 to sometime in July.

I'm just a random guy named Nick! I like to make games, program, design sprites/art, and play Nintendo games.
Check out my cool fangame: SUPER MARIO Power Star Frenzy! A twist to the collectathon style Mario games. [PRIORITY]
Check out my other fangame: SUPER MARIO Dimension Dilemma! A SSBB Subspace Emissary styled Mario fangame.

Image Image Image Image

Power Star Frenzy Progress Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:32 am 
Jammin' with Luigi and Tails
[*]
[*]
[*]
I decided to try out the demo, it's pretty fun - but I do have a few complaints.

Hitboxes on enemies are awkward. It seems like only stomping the center of an enemy does any damage - a little to the left or right and you get hit - which can lead to quite a few deaths.

It's annoying to have to get booted back to the title screen every time you game over... and since lives don't reset, it can be annoying to be stuck with one life for probably a long while.

I don't think the "pickup" stuff should be mapped to the "run" button as sometimes when you try to run you stop and try to pick up a turnip. That can really throw you off your game.

Otherwise, this game is looking fantastic! If you can fix any complaints, that'd be fantastic!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:52 am 
D:
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

FieryExplosion wrote:
I decided to try out the demo, it's pretty fun - but I do have a few complaints.

Hitboxes on enemies are awkward. It seems like only stomping the center of an enemy does any damage - a little to the left or right and you get hit - which can lead to quite a few deaths.

It's annoying to have to get booted back to the title screen every time you game over... and since lives don't reset, it can be annoying to be stuck with one life for probably a long while.

I don't think the "pickup" stuff should be mapped to the "run" button as sometimes when you try to run you stop and try to pick up a turnip. That can really throw you off your game.

Otherwise, this game is looking fantastic! If you can fix any complaints, that'd be fantastic!

Haha, all those points were made before. I think he said he addressed them. ;)

One thing I did forget to mention is that I found a weird bug. If I walked off the bottom left edge of the world map (below the toad house), I had the ability to walk on air and go anywhere on the map. It was kinda weird.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:54 am 
Just that RANDOM GUY!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
FieryExplosion wrote:

I fixed the hitboxes with enemies I know it was a problem, I was just too lazy to fix it before. xD
I made it so that whenever you get a game over it will give you five lives. I completely revamped the save system.
I fixed the pickup thing. There were complains about that too. Now you will have to hold to the down key and your control key to pickup veggies.

Quote:
Haha, all those points were made before. I think he said he addressed them. ;)

One thing I did forget to mention is that I found a weird bug. If I walked off the bottom left edge of the world map (below the toad house), I had the ability to walk on air and go anywhere on the map. It was kinda weird.

Oh, I must have not put collision there... Hahaha. I'll be sure to fix that. ;)

I just added customisable controls, so people can assign their own keys, as well as fix TONS of bugs that I didn't even know about as well as others pointing them out.
I revamped many of Mario's physics, including his jumping, running, pulling, all for the better. There are plenty of ways to get coins now too.
So stop complaining about the shop items being so expensive. Coins are literally EVERYWHERE in the game. xP
I also changed many Graphics so they won't clash and it will be more beautiful to viewers. Also made a change to the underground levels. Take a look. ;)

Image Image
Image Image

I'm just a random guy named Nick! I like to make games, program, design sprites/art, and play Nintendo games.
Check out my cool fangame: SUPER MARIO Power Star Frenzy! A twist to the collectathon style Mario games. [PRIORITY]
Check out my other fangame: SUPER MARIO Dimension Dilemma! A SSBB Subspace Emissary styled Mario fangame.

Image Image Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:56 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Complaints addressed? Thanks!

This game is looking quite good, if I must say! ...what's that other collectable item in the HUD?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:16 pm 
Just that RANDOM GUY!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
FieryExplosion wrote:
Complaints addressed? Thanks!

This game is looking quite good, if I must say! ...what's that other collictable item in the HUD?

It's a new collectible, but I will not be saying anything because I want people to be surprised in the next update.
All I can say is that it'll either cause lots of thrills or lots of rage. Heh heh heh :P

I also just re did the Mapscreen HUD what do you think of it?
I covered up the new collectible in the screenshot. Not letting you guys see it until the update is released. :3
I also added a new powerup. Anyone want to try and take a guess on what it can be? I'm going to redo the levelscreen HUD today.
Image Image

Last edited by Random.NICK on Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:18 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Rock

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:07 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Um, gravity?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:16 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I'm guessing it has something to do with gravity, yeah.

And I have to agree with Mors, the "new collectible" looks like a rock.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:19 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Shiny new world map screen.

Powerup must be... related to negativity? I dunno. Probably gravity, as others have said.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:56 am 
D:
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Purple hat and clothes? Guys, this is clearly a Waluigi suit.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:58 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
waluigi wears gray overalls

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:11 am 
Just that RANDOM GUY!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Mors wrote:
Rock

Willsaber wrote:
And I have to agree with Mors, the "new collectible" looks like a rock.

Nope it isn't a rock.

Q-Nova wrote:
Um, gravity?

Willsaber wrote:
I'm guessing it has something to do with gravity, yeah.

FieryExplosion wrote:
must be... related to negativity? I dunno. Probably gravity, as others have said.

The powerup actually is sorta related to gravity. It is going to be a bit rare too.
You guys will find out about it when the Chapter 1 version releases in June. ;)

CouchTomato wrote:
Purple hat and clothes? Guys, this is clearly a Waluigi suit.

Hahaha, good one.

You can never have too many collectibles. :P I added star coins to the game now.

Image Image Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:13 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Hoo boy, that's gonna be a nightmare. For some reason, I've never been a fan of them... even though their concept keeps being reused (Star Medals, Green Stars, etc.). Five a stage sounds like a little too much though.

...maybe that other collectible is a page of a book? A P-Wing?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:22 pm 
D:
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

It's really hard to figure out, given how non-specific that outline is. But possibly a treasure chest?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:44 am 
Just that RANDOM GUY!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
FieryExplosion wrote:
Hoo boy, that's gonna be a nightmare. For some reason, I've never been a fan of them... even though their concept keeps being reused (Star Medals, Green Stars, etc.). Five a stage sounds like a little too much though.

...maybe that other collectible is a page of a book? A P-Wing?

I put five per stage because Star coins will function like blue coins from Super Mario Sunshine.
Give 10 Star coins to the Star Smith in Toad Town to get a Power Star in return.
Not a book, not a P-Wing.

CouchTomato wrote:
It's really hard to figure out, given how non-specific that outline is. But possibly a treasure chest?

Nope. :P

Sorry I haven't been posting any updates. I've been busy fixing bugs as well as tending to some personal matters...
Anyways PSF is still on track and is scheduled to release in JULY 2015

Also, here is the new HUD for the levelscreen.

Also I'm happy to say these annoying bugs has been fixed! You should never see them again when the new version releases! :D
Code:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Create Event

Code:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Create Event
for object obj_redring:

Oh yeah, just thought I'd put this here... Because WHY NOT?
This is the music I like to listen to when I work on the game. I don't know why I just like it. ^^

Image Image Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:12 pm 
Just that RANDOM GUY!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Woah?! What could that be? Debate it! :P

Last edited by Random.NICK on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next  [ 281 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic