PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:12 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
This just kinda looks like...well, another Hello Engine game but with wall-jumping and a few new graphical bells and whistles.
Sure, there are a few new features which change it up a bit, but it's the same physics and the same graphical style. I know it's
not fair to judge a game before you play it, but I've played so many Hello Engine games before that I feel I hardly need to actually
try out the game to get an idea of how it feels.

Hello, you're a great programmer. A LEGENDARY programmer. Please, please program us something new.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Super Mario Dynamo
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:28 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
soopakoopa wrote:
This just kinda looks like...well, another Hello Engine game but with wall-jumping and a few new graphical bells and whistles.
Sure, there are a few new features which change it up a bit, but it's the same physics and the same graphical style. I know it's
not fair to judge a game before you play it, but I've played so many Hello Engine games before that I feel I hardly need to actually
try out the game to get an idea of how it feels.

Hello, you're a great programmer. A LEGENDARY programmer. Please, please program us something new.

It's definitely leaning out of the engine's own boundaries, but there are definitely still a ton of lingering "been there, done that" elements.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:47 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Well, I suppose I ought to at least give it a try before I judge it to harshly.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:11 am 
Just that RANDOM GUY!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I agree with soopakoopa. Hello you are a amazing game creator, but mostly all your games are the same. Nothing really has changed... Same powerups, same graphics, same sounds, and especially you keep using the Darkness theme for all your games now... Ztar Turmoil, Eclipse and now Dynamo... It's just getting out of hand with this. You need to think of a new plot, a new style, and some new elements. Make your games feel NEW... ;)

I'm just a random guy named Nick! I like to make games, program, design sprites/art, and play Nintendo games.
Check out my cool fangame: SUPER MARIO Power Star Frenzy! A twist to the collectathon style Mario games. [PRIORITY]
Check out my other fangame: SUPER MARIO Dimension Dilemma! A SSBB Subspace Emissary styled Mario fangame.

Image Image Image Image

Power Star Frenzy Progress Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:52 am 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Well, I played it a bit, and I'm afraid I'll have to stand by my original judgement; this just feels like another Hello Engine game with a
new gimmick. Also, the difficulty is ridiculously unfair. While you have unlimited lives and plenty of checkpoints (usually before the frustrating
parts, granted), the hard parts are still infuriatingly hard. For example, one of the final segments of the first level requires you to do some insane
wall-jump parkour on narrow pipes. There are piranha plants constantly popping out here and there, and one of them spits fireballs at you.
In order to progress through this segment, you have to hit a switch halfway through and then rush to the end before the blocks become
solid again. Did I mention this is all happening right over a bottomless pit?

Yeah. That's in the VERY FIRST LEVEL. It doesn't help that wall-jumping isn't very reliable. Sometimes Mario will grab
onto the wall just fine, and sometimes he'll ignore it altogether, with a delay between hitting the wall and actually grabbing
the wall being common (but not at all consistent in length). Also, if you happen to have your back right up to a wall while
falling, you're pretty much screwed because Mario WILL NOT turn around and grab it and by time you edge away a bit, turn
him around mid-air and get back up against the wall, it's probably much too late to save yourself.

Also, the transition between the calm, gentle classical piano music (which is not at all digitized and sounds
kinda out of place on the SMB3-style map) on the map screen and the death metal remixes of Mario tunes which
play in almost every level is a bit jarring.

Oh yeah, did I mention that the game looks like SMB3 again? Yeah, big surprise. While there's some basic 2D
lighting (not as much of a marvel now as it would have been a few years ago) and the Goombas have a new custom
sprite (for some reason?), it STILL just looks like SMB3 again.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:01 pm 
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
[*]
[*]
[*]
Okay, one serious question regarding the sprites.
What the hell is your problem with SMB3-style, aside from being overused.
As long as the graphics look good, nobody should complain about graphics, if the only complain is that the graphics are "overused".
Yeah, the SMB3 graphic style is overused.
So what? That just proves that the SMB3 graphic style is among the best graphic styles (and definitely better than the SMW graphic style or the Bews graphic style).

What I also support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:07 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
TrinitroMan wrote:
Okay, one serious question regarding the sprites.
What the hell is your problem with SMB3-style, aside from being overused.
As long as the graphics look good, nobody should complain about graphics, if the only complain is that the graphics are "overused".
Yeah, the SMB3 graphic style is overused.
So what? That just proves that the SMB3 graphic style is among the best graphic styles (and definitely better than the SMW graphic style or the Bews graphic style).

Personally, I...don't really like the SMB3 style very much. Maybe it's just because I see it so much, but it just
looks really bland and lifeless to me. The atmosphere of blandness and gloom that the game intentionally emanates
doesn't really help the cause. And besides, it's just another thing that makes this game feel like just another
Hello Engine clone.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:49 pm 
I never really was on your side.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
As easy as it is to do it, games shouldn't be judged by their graphics, but rather by their playability. There are plenty of games out their with less-than-good quality of graphics, but yet play very well.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:00 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Im the Red Spy wrote:
As easy as it is to do it, games shouldn't be judged by their graphics, but rather by their playability. There are plenty of games out their with less-than-good quality of graphics, but yet play very well.

If you think I'm judging based on the graphics, I take it you skipped the "little" parts where I mention that
it's infuriatingly difficult and controls poorly.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:27 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
soopakoopa wrote:
Im the Red Spy wrote:

If you think I'm judging based on the graphics, I take it you skipped the "little" parts where I mention that

I didn't skip anything.
soopakoopa wrote:
Personally, I...don't really like the SMB3 style very much. Maybe it's just because I see it so much, but it just
looks really bland and lifeless to me. The atmosphere of blandness and gloom that the game intentionally emanates
doesn't really help the cause. And besides, it's just another thing that makes this game feel like just another
Hello Engine clone.

soopakoopa wrote:
Sure, there are a few new features which change it up a bit, but it's the same physics and the same graphical style.

soopakoopa wrote:
Oh yeah, did I mention that the game looks like SMB3 again? Yeah, big surprise. While there's some basic 2D
lighting (not as much of a marvel now as it would have been a few years ago) and the Goombas have a new custom

You're just judging the game too harshly on the graphical choice. I don't mean to start anything harsh here. It's just my opinion that the graphics shouldn't matter as much as gameplay.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:06 pm 
The Dark Warrior
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Um, Hello's graphical style isnt purely SMB3. Any custom tilesets that I encountered do not necessarily use the colors found in SMB3. For a tileset to be considered in the style of SMB3, there has to be colors only used and found in that game. However, people have used their own colors if they couldn't find what they need from the game. This is a problem of people marketing their tilesets as such in that style instead of being in a general 16-32 bit styled tileset. (Shikaternia's tiles for example). Plus on numerous fangames of his, Hello's use of Black Squirrel's tilesets actually clashes with the player character and enemy sprites.

ATTENTION! I am in need of coders to help fix Mario's physics for Mysterious Islandz. The game as it stands, is quite glitchy. If you are good at GM8 and is capable of reading FDE Exi's code, PM me!

Spoiler:

I am the true darkness. MFGG stands in my way!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:36 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
DarkSideStrike wrote:
Um, Hello's graphical style isnt purely SMB3. Any custom tilesets that I encountered do not necessarily use the colors found in SMB3. For a tileset to be considered in the style of SMB3, there has to be colors only used and found in that game. However, people have used their own colors if they couldn't find what they need from the game. This is a problem of people marketing their tilesets as such in that style instead of being in a general 16-32 bit styled tileset. (Shikaternia's tiles for example). Plus on numerous fangames of his, Hello's use of Black Squirrel's tilesets actually clashes with the player character and enemy sprites.

In my opinion, to be SBM3 styled, it doesn't necessarily have to use that game's color palette. It just has to use shades with the same intensity, but not necessarily the exact same colors.

soopakoopa wrote:
Hello Engine clone.

I'd have to agree with you there. I'm really not a fan of that art style. I'm sure it's overuse plays part of that, but it feels lifeless to me, and doesn't even scream what I perceive "Mario" to be. :/

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:21 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Im the Red Spy wrote:
soopakoopa wrote:
Im the Red Spy wrote:

I didn't skip anything.
soopakoopa wrote:
Hello Engine clone.

This one isn't even me talking directly about the game, but responding to Trinitroman when he ASKED
me why I didn't approve of the style.

soopakoopa wrote:
Sure, there are a few new features which change it up a bit, but it's the same physics and the same graphical style.

It's not the graphical style itself I'm talking about, but how Hello's overuse of the same style, along with basing all of his
games on the same engine with a few new gimmicks each time, makes his games all feel very similar. By the same reason there's
nothing WRONG with realistic graphics, but the problem with the CoD franchise is that it always uses the same realistic graphics
along with the same sort of gameplay and physics, making them all feel the same. Notice how I ALSO said that the physics are the same.

soopakoopa wrote:

This one is just elaborating on the above point.

You're just judging the game too harshly on the graphical choice. I don't mean to start anything harsh here. It's just my opinion that the graphics shouldn't matter as much as gameplay.

And once again, I'm telling you that the graphics are a minor quibble and that the first two paragraphs of my initial review, which were also the longest
two paragraphs, are about the problems with control and level design. The overused graphics are just the stale icing
on the moldy cake.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:25 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
You're making a bigger deal out of this than need be. Stop.
It's my opinion that graphics don't make gameplay, and shouldn't even affect how fun a game is. Let me have it. I'm not forcing you to accept it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:13 pm 
The Dark Warrior
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Im the Red Spy wrote:
You're making a bigger deal out of this than need be. Stop.
It's my opinion that graphics don't make gameplay, and shouldn't even affect how fun a game is. Let me have it. I'm not forcing you to accept it.

Except that you were trying to prove (by selectively reading parts of his posts just to down him) that he is making a big deal when he isn't. He isn't forcing his opinion on anybody, he's just stating what he thinks about the game and responding to another member. You, Red Spy, are at fault for trying to make him feel bad.

Willsaber wrote:
DarkSideStrike wrote:

In my opinion, to be SBM3 styled, it doesn't necessarily have to use that game's color palette. It just has to use shades with the same intensity, but not necessarily the exact same colors.

Um, yes it does. It would defeat the purpose if the graphics isn't using the colors found in the original game, let alone the individual pixels in the graphic arranged in a way that would fit in the style. Any deviations from the graphical style used in that game or shared between more than one game (SMB and SMB2 as example, because a graphical style isn't really defined by game though we call it to be because 99% of the time different games -> different art directions...a graphical style is defined by a person's or company's artistic direction that sets up the foundation for their game's aesthetic) wouldn't be in that style. But it does not mean that the graphics automatically clash with the style. Quite the ignorant opinion you have there.

Last edited by DarkSideStrike on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.

ATTENTION! I am in need of coders to help fix Mario's physics for Mysterious Islandz. The game as it stands, is quite glitchy. If you are good at GM8 and is capable of reading FDE Exi's code, PM me!

Spoiler:

I am the true darkness. MFGG stands in my way!

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:23 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I'm sorry

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:30 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]

The version 1.1 update has been released. This update includes Daredevil Mode, a game mode where every hit results in instant death! The update also includes minor level design tweaks and backported bug fixes.

Download

User page at mfgg.net

[ie]
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:11 am 
thanks, neweegee!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hello wrote:

The version 1.1 update has been released. This update includes Daredevil Mode, a game mode where every hit results in instant death! The update also includes minor level design tweaks and backported bug fixes.

Download

I-I'm sorry Hello. On one hand, I'm glad to see you're still working on things. But on the other hand, why make an already stupidly hard game stupidly harder? I'm sorry Hello, you've lost me.

my youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Pu2NplrfCUbTxE_zyHITQ

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:35 am 
Just that RANDOM GUY!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I'm just a random guy named Nick! I like to make games, program, design sprites/art, and play Nintendo games.
Check out my cool fangame: SUPER MARIO Power Star Frenzy! A twist to the collectathon style Mario games. [PRIORITY]
Check out my other fangame: SUPER MARIO Dimension Dilemma! A SSBB Subspace Emissary styled Mario fangame.

Image Image Image Image

Power Star Frenzy Progress Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:27 pm 
Just cooking food for my Yoshi.
[*]
[*]
If it ain't fixed, don't break it. [And vice versa]

If I were to give you a rating, it would be -1 out of 10.
Don't forget!
scaled image

mfgg is bad i hate it cuz meiro is totes terre sonac IS betar!!

My Gaming forum, called "The Gamer's Castle"!

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 40 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic