Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next  [ 689 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
Midas Machine, Regular dev updates
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Midas Machine (Final Demo)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:17 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
so far my only real gripes are-
- I shouldn't have to lose a life for starting the level over (something I remember this game having at one point in development)
- red coins should be saved at the checkpoint
- the physics are VERY loose. and Luigi could stand to be marginally floatier
otherwise, it's looking pretty good.

EDIT: that Tanoomba boss needs reworking too. I've hated it ever since I first played it so many demos ago.

also, in the cutscene at Peach's castle, if you have a fire flower, Luigi's palette reverts back to his normal palette for his "panic" sprite.

if you haven't noticed by now I've been editing this post as I progress through the demo.

the animations in the cutscenes are very lifeless (the death poses are too, mainly Luigi's). some of them I can TELL would be alright, but they're played back too slow (i.e Luigi's falling animation. he shouldn't wake up that fast, and he shouldn't panic that slow). I also wouldn't make the entire game slow down when you go into a pipe. it shouldn't be all that difficult to just make the player slow down.

the walking animation on all bros sans Wario could use some work. Waluigi's is by far the most awkward.

this game could really use a "return to map" button. having to replay entire levels just to get one collectable is obnoxious.

post-chapter one-

the ball has ZERO jumping weight to it. it worked in 3D, it DOES NOT work here. I'd consider heavily reworking the physics or scrap it entirely.

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:12 am 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Mit wrote:
I also wouldn't make the entire game slow down when you go into a pipe. it shouldn't be all that difficult to just make the player slow down.

No, that's definitely a bug. Wouldn't slow down the whole game on purpose for a pipe animation :o
It's intended to be fixed, once I find out what the heck causes it.

I'm not sure what you mean with the ball. Zero jumping weight? Please elaborate. (And I think spoilers aren't necessary here, as the ball has been revealed in trailers.)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:41 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Guinea wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean with the ball. Zero jumping weight? Please elaborate. (And I think spoilers aren't necessary here, as the ball has been revealed in trailers.)

iirc in Galaxy, when you'd jump the ball would stop for a bit due to the weight of it, at least when moving slowly. here the ball just keeps rolling, and it's really weird. I'd assume that some graphical touch-ups like smoke and a shake or something will be added to help show the weight of the ball somewhere down the line.

[es]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:57 pm 
I'm just a little adorable kitty :3
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I shoot a fireball there and it got stuck, you may want to check it out :P

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:18 pm 
This fan game is amazing. I don't have a clue on what to do for the mummy Cheep-Cheep, however. I also feel that Wario should play similarly to the other characters, rather than acting differently (such as in the way he holds objects, and how he is Dragon Wario instead of Fire Wario).

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:29 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
You can talk to E. Gadd at any point in the game for hints on what to do, that includes during boss fights.

As for Wario, what would be the point of having 4 different characters if they all played the same? Wario controls similarly to how he does in the Wario Land games. Theres also the fact that Wario generally wouldn't work like the other characters. Want to pick up that koopa shell? Whoops, you just tackled it instead. Want to to destroy that brick wall? Too bad you just got that fire flower, now you can only toss small fireballs at it like everyone else.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:31 pm 
Ah, thanks for the tip. I understand about Wario, now.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:55 pm 
D:
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Some extra final thoughts after finishing all the levels:

Rolling Cactus level - This is a level design opinion: I like how the stage is very different, but it's also very hard. I lost many, many lives on it. It needs to have more of a Mega Man-like design, where if you introduce a new concept, you give players the opportunity to practice before it gets lethal. All you get is that elevator thing in the beginning before you actually have to hop from platform to platform -- or die. There should be some mandatory platform that doesn't result in your death initially.

I got an error (unfortunately I lost it because my computer crashes every day) in that one desert level where you have to use a koopa shell to reach the secret exit. I was Mario, holding the key with 1 bar of health left. As I tried to go into the gap where you drop down to the locked door area, I accidentally touched one of the nippers on the right, and it gave me some error about holding an object.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:11 pm 
Various "special" tiles (such as the plant trampolines or whatever) don't show up for me. They do show up for a split second when pausing/un-pausing.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:45 pm 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Quote:
I shouldn't have to lose a life for starting the level over (something I remember this game having at one point in development)

This. Why did you remove it, it was a great idea. :(

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:54 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Friendly Dictator wrote:
Quote:
I shouldn't have to lose a life for starting the level over (something I remember this game having at one point in development)

I think we dropped that because people were abusing it by collecting early lives in earlier levels, dieing, then doing it over and over again. This might not seem like an issue for the demo, but in the final game where you will be going into progressively harder levels having a super easy life farm can be a bit broken.

Either way, I don't see how it's a big deal. You die, you lose a life, sort of goes hand in hand. Plus it sort of encourages the player to try harder. I mean, in the late game things will be very hard, but if theres no real penalty at all for dieing for half of a level, then whats the point?

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:39 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
May i suggest adding a option to come back to the map after a level is completed?

Spoiler:

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:42 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Chaoxys wrote:
Friendly Dictator wrote:
Quote:

I think we dropped that because people were abusing it by collecting early lives in earlier levels, dieing, then doing it over and over again. This might not seem like an issue for the demo, but in the final game where you will be going into progressively harder levels having a super easy life farm can be a bit broken.

Either way, I don't see how it's a big deal. You die, you lose a life, sort of goes hand in hand. Plus it sort of encourages the player to try harder. I mean, in the late game things will be very hard, but if theres no real penalty at all for dieing for half of a level, then whats the point?

yea but in a game about collecting things where some of those things are one-shot having to die over and over just to get it kinda defeats the purpose of lives in their entirety. tbh this game could get away without having lives at all

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:27 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Chaoxys wrote:

Then just reset everything you collected when you choose to restart the level? What's the deal.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:29 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
or just make it so 1-ups are one-shot deals instead of respawning after death

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:40 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
^That would work too

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:20 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Mit wrote:
Chaoxys wrote:
Friendly Dictator wrote:

yea but in a game about collecting things where some of those things are one-shot having to die over and over just to get it kinda defeats the purpose of lives in their entirety. tbh this game could get away without having lives at all

Honestly, I sort of agree with that, although I think we'd need to have something in place of them. I mean, always rewarding the player with coins would get kinda lame, even with the shop.
Best thing I can think of would be randoms Wario Land styled treasure chests that have little treasures in them. Maybe collecting them all would be linked to unlocking a post game world or something? Idk, I'd have to talk it over with Guinea.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:59 pm 
[*]
[*]
If I may make a recommendation, maybe just a more powerful healing item? I don't see the use for lives myself, and to be honest the healing item would be a lot better of a find.

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:21 pm 
Chaoxys wrote:
Friendly Dictator wrote:
Quote:

The official Super Mario World has life farms if you collect a Fishing Lakitu's 1UP, exit the course, and repeat, so it's not much of a problem, in my opinion.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:14 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
All Mario games have life farming spots, but just because some games make them super easy to find doesn't mean it should be the standard for all games.

Either way, whether or not lives are dropped, and what replaces them would be up to Guinea, although I do have a few ideas in mind.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next  [ 689 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic