Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next  [ 689 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
Midas Machine, Regular dev updates
 [at]
 Post subject: Midas Machine
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:58 pm 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
After the archival of the Midas Machine sub forum, many of you may have been wondering why we did that and what happened to Midas Machine. To those that didn't follow its development: Midas Machine is alive and kicking.

This is the new official topic for Midas Machine's development. I will post updates from time to time, perhaps screenshots, perhaps gifs, perhaps videos, perhaps something else, and Chaoxys will as usual show some of his sprites topic in the Arts Board. We still need music of course, so there will be a music topic in the Arts Board as well, where those of you who are interested can check what we still need and then show off their work.

Wait, what is Midas Machine?
Super Mario Bros. & The Midas Machine started out as the MFGG Community Fangame project, but as it grew in scope, complexity and development time, the team kinda fell apart and now it's only Chaoxys and me developing it on and off over the last couple of years, with a lot of help from many of MFGG's best composers, and Elyk as our primary test player and consultant. Some levels and ideas come from Thunder Dragon.

If you want to know more about Midas Machine, I suggest to go to our official NCFC Booth and check it out. If you're too lazy for that, have the latest trailer from NCFC 2013:

So what is the current status of Midas Machine?
We've been hard at work lately, and we have a feeling that we can achieve an NCFC 20142015 release. Yes that's right, NCFC 20142015. Will it be just an empty boast, or will you actually get to play the full game at NCFC? I don't know, to be honest. Life can always throw curve balls. But if all goes according to our plan, Midas Machine can be in your hands-- - I mean download folders - thisnext November when NCFC happens. Let's leave luck to heaven.

What can I do to help?
You can ask Chaoxys about music. We will need lots of it, and lots of good music. If you like remixing or even coming up with your own Mario-ish music, we'd be more than happy to put your piece into this.

And if you're not a composer, why not just download the
Newest Demo over at MFGG.

The more people play it, the more (positive and/or constructive) feedback we get, the higher will our motivation rise and the more likely it becomes that we'll pull this off and finally can pull this big boy out of our oven. It has been baking for quite a while now, and we know you can't wait to try a piece of it!

A few words on the demo...
Those of you who have played the demo 2 years ago at NCFC 2012 may be a bit disappointed at first, because this demo contains again only the first two worlds. However, we think that two worlds are enough to show you what Midas Machine is all about without spoiling the full game for you. Because let's be honest, you don't want to replay more than these two worlds once the full game comes out, do you?

Try it out, we have fixed a lot of things, changed many levels and reacted to a lot of the feedback we have received after the NCFC 2012 demo. The player physics have been updated, lots of graphics have been redone, level passages restructured and even new rooms and features added that you have not seen before.

If you find any bugs or have reasonable complaints about some of the elements in the demo, please let us know. Help us to make Midas Machine as close to perfect as it can be!

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
 Post subject: Re: Midas Machine (Final Demo)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:00 pm 
The Quantifiably Quip-tic QC Dude
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
It must be Christmas! Gonna try this out.

Image Refs - Something new's gonna show up here, I just know it! - DeviantArt - YouTubeImage
???!, 10%

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:28 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I didn't play yet, but I'm having a few very minor issues. Everything works afaik, but you might wanna remove the "Press any key to continue" parts to something more specific like "Press Enter, Space, Button A...whatever to continue". I was turning up my laptop volume with shortcut keys as the game was loading which lead to me accidentally mapping every key to the volume key... Not a big deal ofc. I deleted the init file and restarted the game. I did a few key mappings. Then waited a bit before mapping a new key and it turns out that the game has some sort of timer count down or something before moving onto the next key mapping? It did so before I could set my own. It does this for every key until the "choose resolution" option.

-

Is there anyway to turn off pixel filtering when the window is resized? I don't really like the blurred look so it'd be nice if there a was a point filtering option or something.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:17 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^Thank you for this input, TSG.
The config screen will be improved for the final game, I hope it is sufficient for the demo.

As for the pixel filtering, I don't know why it would do that, because that is actually not the case on my monitor. What OS are you using? It would be helpful if you could take a screenshot of this, too.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:20 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I'm using a Windows 8 laptop, with an Intel graphics card.

Image, 2x
Spoiler:

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:37 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
This is very strange, as it doesn't look like that on my machine. Interpolating is even explicitly turned off. Perhaps it's the Intel chip.
Although I have heard somewhere that this can be fixed somehow, but I do not recall where I've heard it and how.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:44 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
that happened to me, too. it probably has to do with Windows 8.

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:45 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Mit wrote:

Perhaps it's Win8 in combination with the Intel card, because I have Win8 myself, and I don't have this.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:34 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Unfortunately, the game hasn't aged all that well. Mediocre level design and several flaws keep this game from being what it could have been. It's still great, just a little disappointing too. Full review on the main site.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:44 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Guinea wrote:
Mit wrote:

Perhaps it's Win8 in combination with the Intel card, because I have Win8 myself, and I don't have this.

It depends on whatever graphic thing you've got going and in some cases your Windows settings. I've had GM8 and lower games do the filter thing across various Windows OSes and AMD/ATI graphic chips (one Vista computer of which had this configurable in a way; turning off Aero also turned off the image filter), but on an Intel chip in a Windows 7 laptop there was no filter no matter what. It's pretty random, really. I personally like the filter thing, though.

This game is beautiful.

Stuff to note from playing so far: Spoiler:

Last edited by Miles on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:09 pm, edited 10 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:49 pm 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Oh, cool! This is definitely one of the nicest looking games on MFGG. I can't wait to try out the new demo. :D
Also, sorry if this has been answered already, but is there a reason why the first part of the title has been changed from Mushroom Patrol to Super Mario Bros?

EDIT: Found a glitch:
If you shoot fire at this thing with Luigi, it gets stuck there. If you shoot two, then you can't shoot any more fire since only two fireballs are allowed at once. This is in the Coral Lake level. Also, as Miles said, there are quite a few little typos in the dialogue.

Attachments:
MM.png
MM.png [ 261.5 KiB | Viewed 6914 times ]

Last edited by Evil Yoshi Toes on Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total. _________________
What I support

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:12 pm 
[*]
[*]
It is hard for the Mario Bros. to control themselves while swimming.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:47 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^Thank you guys for these very helpful glitch reports, and Coco for the honest review.

The bugs will be fixed and/or accounted for, and the C+C from reviews will flow into the full game.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:01 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
As much as I liked this game, I think I'll wait until NFGC 2014 instead. Full game sounds a lot more interesting to play than a demo with merely updated/tweaked levels rather than brand new ones.

https://gamingreinvented.com/

Also, for Wario fans, check out Wario Forums today!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:31 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I agree with Coco. Midas Machine is an awesome game, but some elements of the game haven't aged as well as other parts. I saw a lot of little things in the opening world that begged for further polish: the bland font on the opening screen, grammatical nitpicks in E. Gadd's opening conversations, the lack of background-foreground contrast in World 1-3, and the aforementioned swimming mechanics.

Most of World 1 is the same stuff I played in the 2011 demo, and fangaming has grown a lot in three-plus years. Games like Psycho Waluigi, Toadette Strikes, Mushroom Pancakes, and SMB Odyssey have raised the bar, and now you're going to need a little more polish for Midas Machine to have the same impact it did in 2011.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:48 pm 
D:
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

MarioBrosFan2010 wrote:
It is hard for the Mario Bros. to control themselves while swimming.

I feel like there's way too much horizontal momentum. Is that what you guys mean with swimming difficulty?

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:43 pm 
1-Lots of typos through the dialoges.
2-Frames drop during cutscenes and warp pipes transitions. A lot.
3-I fell like the characters move too slowly yet have very low traction.
4-If a cutscene starts with the characters having the Fire Flower power up, some animations show them with their usual colors, such as Luigi panicking before the Peach's Castle level.
5-When underwater, the characters go up too fast when pressing the jump button. Also Luigi's fireballs tend to get stuck in some corners underwater.
6-Right now, the only way to exit a beaten level is by suicide. I highly recommend adding an "exit level" option.
7-On the first sewer level, if you go into the purple pipe (I think it was the purple one) at the second set of pipes, when your exit the area, you fall from the black pipe instead of the purple one.
8-At the intro cutscene, E. Gadd doesn't have a walking animation. He just makes a weird idle animation when moving.
9-At Toad Town, the enemies keep moving while you talk with the Toads inside their houses, thus some enemies can walk past the character. Though they don't hurt you, you can get hit if the dialogue ends when they're touching you, and it looks kind of weird to have the enemies go through you, so I would recommend to make enemies stop when a dialogue is going on in a level.
10-Now, this is just a minor nitpick. I love what Chaoxys did with the sprites, but some of them look off, like Peach or E. Gadd's portrait during the DSe calls.

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:11 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I'm well aware that Peach looks odd. I've been trying to fix the sprite but with such a small amount of space to work with, it's difficult getting all the details in correctly. As for Gadd, that's an older sprite. I had made a newer one but the sheet went missing. I still have the first frame from it but the rest of the animation is gone, and I didn't have time to remake it before the demo.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:24 pm 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I think the pose the old Peach sprite had looked better. Maybe if you give the new Peach that same pose it would look better. Also that sprite of the big eyes and mouth look kind of awkward in my opinion (I think it's right after the end of chapter one. It's the part where the screen is all black and there's just a big pair of eyes and a smiling mouth, and there's a text under them). Other than that and the other ones that were mentioned, I though all the sprites were beautiful.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:13 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I played the game, and i can't make a review for it because i got stuck in Toad Town gate.
The only clue i found was in the Mushroom Canyon level. It says that it has something to do with the bush in the Town gate.
I had no idea of what to do to progress, and i gave up. :/

Spoiler:

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next  [ 689 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic