Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 151 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
Mariovania, Mario game in metroidvania style
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Mariovania
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:40 pm 
[*]
I managed to find the golden enemy and get it's item. Also, I have another crash log:
Spoiler:

And just for fun, the walls of eeries I found:
(I'm using a graphics mod I made for the game, so that's why some things look different.)

User page at mfgg.net

[pl]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:01 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Murphmario wrote:
I managed to find the golden enemy and get it's item.
But what about the clue? Did the dialogue appear in the end?

Murphmario wrote:
Also, I have another crash log:
Murphmario wrote:
(I'm using a graphics mod I made for the game, so that's why some things look different.)

These two might be connected. If you change sprites, and it happens that the new sprite has smaller size from the original, it may crash the game.

Murphmario wrote:
And just for fun, the walls of eeries I found:

Can you reproduce it? D:
This shouldn't happen either.

KooplissKoopa wrote:
Whelp, my review is finally out. i really enjoyed reviewing it, playing it and talking with ya. Until the next update.
Thanks for the review!

Sorry for the Distortion disappointment, but the design won't change. It just felt unique this way. As for the Chaos Cores, somewhere in the middle of doing them, I realized I made a mistake. It's hard to come up with some unique design for 13 bosses, at least when I actually wanted them to be similar, but progressively stronger. You might consider it one boss, but in multiple forms.

And the Castlevania enemies - it's a Mario game and castle is controlled by Bowser, so it's obvious that he used his own army. They are enchanted with Dracula's magic, that's why there are some unique enemy varieties (like, Clear Dry Bones is actually based on Clear Bones from Cv:HoD). I went even further and made some Mario enemies take Castlevania roles, like Stoney Koopas are "Medusa Heads". The Death is here, because there's no real Clock Tower otherwise ;)

Also, which music you felt were chosen wrong? (you mention it briefly in the review)

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:02 pm 
[*]
1. The dialog has not appeared.
2. I changed the graphics back to the originals and the issue was fixed. Wierd, since I didn't even resize the image files.
3. IDK if I can replicate it, it just happened randomly. I can try though.

User page at mfgg.net

[pl]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:12 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Murphmario wrote:
Can you give me your save file?

Murphmario wrote:
2. I changed the graphics back to the originals and the issue was fixed. Wierd, since I didn't even resize the image files.
The crash you sent was caused particularly by Ghost Vase enemy.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:19 pm 
Oh there was no wrong choices honestly, i thought each song suited it's area well enough, i kinda forgot to go into what i meant by that in the review so i guess i'll go over it real fast here. Essentially the GBA Castlevania games music, while i do like the songs i'v always felt that sounded.... how do i say this, odd? mostly because of the GBA. I was gonna recommend perhaps using the "cleaner" remasters created by Youtuber Jorge Fuentes, He is usually fine with people using his Remasters. I really kinda wish i could remake the review due to forgetting some things/spelling mistakes but, eh... it's too late :D

I do indeed take back what i said about the chaos core, i kinda jumped the gun early when i did the review so i only fought like 3 or 4 of them and just thought that they were barely gonna change, if i did manage to edit the review i think i'd just remove the whole Chaos core nitpick entirely. my complaint still stands for the Dimensional Distortion, but i completely understand where your coming from and i will indeed give credit where credit is due: It is indeed Unique!

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:28 pm 
[*]
Ulquiorra wrote:
Murphmario wrote:
Can you give me your save file?

Murphmario wrote:
The crash you sent was caused particularly by Ghost Vase enemy.

It turns out I forgot to resize the image from 1x1. And yes, there was a Ghost Vase in the area.

Also, I saved it after the message failed to appear, so IDK if it's still troubleshootable. I still uploaded it though:
https://www.mediafire.com/?t36crodlyvbm1jt'
Ignore the chaos ring; that's from another glitch that no longer works (I was able to fall through the void.)

User page at mfgg.net

[pl]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:34 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
So... ;_;
I inspected your save. You have an event turned on, which can only turn on when the message appears.
I thought it's impossible.
But after CAREFULLY looking into the code and doing some tests, it turned out to be a very stupid overlook. Wow.
Basically, when you initially saw the message about poster, it turned on also the second event, which should only happen after you kill the enemy. It happened, because I used the same variable for these two messages. That's...
Anyways, it will be fixed in next update (when I get a new batch of sprites from bigpotato)

KooplissKoopa wrote:
Essentially the GBA Castlevania games music, while i do like the songs i'v always felt that sounded.... how do i say this, odd? mostly because of the GBA. I was gonna recommend perhaps using the "cleaner" remasters created by Youtuber Jorge Fuentes
I listened to some remasters from this Jorge. While some of them are fine, I'm not sure if I should replace all of them. Some of the songs I picked for Mariovania are among my favorite video game musics, so I'm particularly picky about their remasters, and they don't really seem right for me ;_;
Also, hearing these remasters, seems like if I replaced only GBA ones, the rest would stand out, so I'd have to replace all of them (though not everything is from Castlevania).

Dunno what to do about it. The game is completely moddable and you can replace the music with your own. I don't know how others feel about this. No one mentioned the music so far (aside from praising it), but if there really will be some demand, I could of course replace it, and keep a separate "DLC" with the old ones. Or I can do the opposite - have remasters as "official DLC".

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:15 pm 
[*]
Another bug:
I somehow managed to get out of bounds in disorted factory. I got cursed by a shadow bro then went to a screen and I fell through some platforms.

User page at mfgg.net

[pl]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:29 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Murphmario wrote:
I got cursed by a shadow bro then went to a screen and I fell through some platforms.
Was it this spot? (if no, take a screenshot where it happened)

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:41 pm 
[*]
Ulquiorra wrote:
Murphmario wrote:
I got cursed by a shadow bro then went to a screen and I fell through some platforms.
Was it this spot? (if no, take a screenshot where it happened)

Around there, yeah. I went the next screen over though.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:09 pm 
Ulquiorra wrote:
"official DLC".

Now that you mention it, do you have any plans of adding any other areas to explore kinda like a "DLC"? Considering the fact that the game is still in beta but it seems good enough to be considered a full release.

There's still plenty of potential for new items/magic/enemies/bosses/areas left i'm sure. i still can't believe it took me nearly 13 days to complete this game :P :tired:

[pl]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:41 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Murphmario wrote:
I went the next screen over though.
Huh, then it's some weird pixel-perfect situational stuff, because it should be impossible. I'll do what I always do in such situations. Just let's hope it won't happen to anyone else ;_;

KooplissKoopa wrote:
Now that you mention it, do you have any plans of adding any other areas to explore kinda like a "DLC"? Considering the fact that the game is still in beta but it seems good enough to be considered a full release.
The game is in beta only because I'm in process of replacing the graphics. I might throw something here and there, but it's completed otherwise.

I'd love to expand it, add new areas, enemies, items or even make a sequel. But, the problem is, that it's just a fan-game. I'm in the point in my life, when I should finally create some serious stuff I could earn money from. Mariovania is one of the games I'm most proud I made, but I don't really feel like putting much more time into it. Nintendo could come any moment and just shut it down and I couldn't do anything about it. AM2R reminded me that, to the point that I'm rather reluctant to invest my time in making more fan-games (and the fact that there's another fan-game I'd like to finish, not counting many other ideas I have, doesn't help ;_;).

However, I love metroidvanias. You can expect me to make more similar games to Mariovania in the future. I'll be glad to share them on this forum too. Mariovania is a closed chapter for me though. Well, almost. I'll make one more mainsite release, when everything is complete. Maybe one or two new items will appear (like the Golden Feather, cuz it was easy one), but no new enemies and areas will happen.

User page at mfgg.net

[pl]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:25 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
New update! (1.2.6)
-fixed Rex's sprite
-all suits have a proper, new icon now
-Golden Feather now has lesser effect, but got some stats
-fixed poster event
-the platforms at the entrance are more obvious
-some spelling fix
-fixed a certain place you could go out of bounds if tried hard enough (I needed a new tile to block this)
-Shadow Suit's cool fx is only active when the suit effect works
-fixed a crash connected with Astral Sword and bosses
-in final Chaos Core battle, the boss always spawns on the opposite side of the entrance
-Goombavenger's damage is no longer affected by INT (this magic can be exploited too much anyways, so more nerfs might come)

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:40 pm 
[*]
I have some minor issues I'd like to report.

Sound test issues:
-YKY is from Mario Forever, I think.
-Zelda2's real name is "Temple"
-Underwater is quite obviously from Super Mario Bros. 3, but is unlabeled.
-For Haunty Halls, it's from Super Mario Galaxy 2, not it's predecessor.
-Boss A is unlabled

-Boss Rush exits onto the sound test option, and sound test exits onto the quit option.
-Some of the Podoboos and Novaboos come out so low that they almost immediately go back into the lava. What's the point?
-Chain Cheep's preview icon is unchanged.
-Sorckoopas can heal Hammer Giants, causing them to get stuck in the ground. Killing them once again doesn't cause them to fall over.

UPDATE: Crash log:
undefined method `-' for nil:NilClass
C:/Users/Murph/Mariovania/data/scripts/system.rb:1230:in `update'
C:/Users/Murph/Mariovania/data/scripts/game.rb:117:in `block in update'
C:/Users/Murph/Mariovania/data/scripts/game.rb:117:in `each'
C:/Users/Murph/Mariovania/data/scripts/game.rb:117:in `update'
C:/Users/Murph/AppData/Local/Temp/ocrB1F7.tmp/src/mariovania-win32.rb:34:in `update'
C:/Users/Murph/AppData/Local/Temp/ocrB1F7.tmp/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/gosu-0.11.1-x86-mingw32/lib/gosu/patches.rb:152:in `tick'
C:/Users/Murph/AppData/Local/Temp/ocrB1F7.tmp/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/gosu-0.11.1-x86-mingw32/lib/gosu/patches.rb:152:in `tick'
C:/Users/Murph/AppData/Local/Temp/ocrB1F7.tmp/src/mariovania-win32.rb:79:in `<main>'
It happened when I touched a ghost vase in distorted library.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:00 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Murphmario wrote:
Chain Cheep's preview icon is unchanged.

That one's on me. Haven't done the chain and block yet. Here's a placeholder.
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[pl]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:49 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Murphmario wrote:
-YKY is from Mario Forever, I think.
It's not originally from there. For example the Apoplexy heard in tanks level is actually made by some Bee Hunter. I couldn't find the author of Yky though. (it's actually called "YKYrococ*")

Murphmario wrote:
-Zelda2's real name is "Temple"
Yeah, I used the name it had in SMBX, I will change it.

Murphmario wrote:
-Underwater is quite obviously from Super Mario Bros. 3, but is unlabeled.
-Boss A is unlabled
Boss A is actually called Decisive Battle. It was renamed and the Underwater was removed. You probably have these files as remains from merging older version of Mariovania.

Murphmario wrote:
-Boss Rush exits onto the sound test option, and sound test exits onto the quit option.
Fixed.

Murphmario wrote:
-Sorckoopas can heal Hammer Giants, causing them to get stuck in the ground. Killing them once again doesn't cause them to fall over.
Fixed, lol

Murphmario wrote:
-Some of the Podoboos and Novaboos come out so low that they almost immediately go back into the lava. What's the point?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bigpotato wrote:
Murphmario wrote:
Chain Cheep's preview icon is unchanged.
That one's on me.
I could do it myself, but since the icon will change again anyways, I thought it's not that important :v

Murphmario wrote:
UPDATE: Crash log:
[...]
It happened when I touched a ghost vase in distorted library.
Hmmm, it doesn't seem to happen to me. For some reason, the thing that hit you, had nil (null) value as attack. Which exactly vase was it? Can you reproduce it?
Just like the Eerie wall. Why does these things happen ;_;

EDIT:
I said fixed, but these will come in the next release ofc

User page at mfgg.net

[pl]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:37 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Aaaand update! 1.2.7:
-new sprites: Luigi face, Scaredy Rat, Sniper Koopa, Skeeter
-Iron Wear got updated sprite
-new feature: swap button. You can equip two sets of magic/weapons and alternate between them (requested by MasterMarioMX)
-^ defaults to Right Control
-enemies with healing powers now can't heal dead enemies
-fixed main menu and sound test
-(hopefully) fixed encoding problems with Unicode characters in system user name
-Windows and Linux release unified (doesn't matter actually)

EDIT:
Ulquiorra wrote:
(doesn't matter actually)
Oh, you are wrong. This makes additional library files useless.

Quickfix 1.2.7.1:
-removed said files ^
-fixed some warnings

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:02 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
I think maybe you should update the first post with new screenshots since the game's changed a lot since then.

[pl]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:06 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Enchlore wrote:
the game's changed a lot since then.
Not really (at least if I wanted to refresh current screenshots). I updated the screenshot section though with some up-to-date things, but I won't replace all screenshots until all graphics are done, because I'd have to do it again and again.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:25 am 
Hi, really interested in playing this game but I cannot seem to get Joy2Key to work for movement. All the other actions work but movement. I have tried assigning movement to keys other than the arrow keys (WASD for example).

Has anyone else had a similar problem or know a work around?

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 151 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic