Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 151 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
Mariovania, Mario game in metroidvania style
 [pl]
 Post subject: Re: Mariovania
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:02 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Are you sure you have the newest version? The wall crash doesn't occur to me.
To avoid further confusion, I've put a version number into readme (1.2 right now). Download the main file again to make sure you are up to date.

The warp crash has happened in the past and I had no idea why and how to reproduce it (I encountered it only once personally). If you have a way to 100% reproduce it, that would help greatly (maybe it's something with your save, then sending it would be appreciated. They are in C:/Users/You/.mygames/mariovania).

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:17 pm 
[*]
Hi, I'm waiting for finish version to play this, so sorry if this isn't very much to say.

Ok, so my question is I think magic stuffs should be renamed to Flower stuff, because Mario never used magic in a normal Mario game, so it comes like weird to me, you know? ;)

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:27 pm 
[quote="Ulquiorra"]Are you sure you have the newest version? The wall crash doesn't occur to me.
To avoid further confusion, I've put a version number into readme (1.2 right now). Download the main file again to make sure you are up to date.

i downloaded ver 1.2 and the wall crash occured. maybe it caused because i use old save file.
and, the wall crash occurs in the second wall(to break it needs to hit it 5 times), not the first wall.

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:53 pm 
here is my save file. please unzip it.
Attachment:
File comment: mariovania save file
save0.7z [7.71 KiB]
Downloaded 52 times

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:27 am 
new bug
after defeating the third boss in boss rush, the door to fourth boss didnt open.

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:53 am 
damage of pow block doesnt vary

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:12 am 
i had a mistake. i sold the hourglass. i cant get it again.
i think this game's item sort is too bad. it is randomly. it should be orderly.
at least, the sold equipment should be able to be buyed back.

[pl]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:16 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
UPDATE! (1.2.1)
-fixed crash with breakable walls
-POW Block and Rainbo' have correct damage
-P-cus Ultimatus is actually called Piranicus Ultimatus, but the name was too long. Full name is now in description, like with A. Flyin' H. B.
-P-cus will now correctly die in all circumstances
-shop got some code fixes for selling, so it's not broken now
-shop got a new buyback option. You can buy any equipment you sold (from this version)

Patch: (works with 1.2)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bc4c9x9e9 ... _Patch.zip

Rocky wrote:
Hi, I'm waiting for finish version to play this
If you mean that you want to wait until the game is finished, it is. It's fully playable from start to end. Some bugs might be left and balance issues though. If you are waiting for "the definitive release" I'll put on the mainsite, it won't happen until I have all sprites replaced. And it will take a loooooong time.

Rocky wrote:
Ok, so my question is I think magic stuffs should be renamed to Flower stuff, because Mario never used magic in a normal Mario game
There are few flowers, but most of available magics aren't flowers, so calling everything "flower" doesn't make sense. Also, it's not a "normal Mario game".

zaza,
Thanks for your reports and sorry for the bugs :|

The wall crash should've never happened. I mean, it was impossible to happen. The map symbols are saved per map square, and each item adds to the square, so you need to get them all to clear the room. To make sure item is unique, it adds it's position and then deletes it's position.
Now, when square is cleared, it's items container is deleted. Your bug happened, because the square got cleared before all walls were destroyed and game tried to delete item from void. However, walls were supposed to not save their position, but a simple -1. That was the case after my previous patch and that's when the crash was supposed to happen. One wall was clearing the whole square. HOWEVER, when you reported the bug for the first time, it was actually broken and the walls were never removed from the room. So the room always had them. So no idea why your crash happened initially, but thanks to it, I actually fixed a stupid bug.
Well, you might not get the explanation anyways XD It's a fun story though.

Same with P-cus boss-rush bug. The door didn't open only if you defeated it when it went out for the second time and only in the top-left pipe. I've seen this bug, but I didn't know why it happened and it was so rare, that I thought it's not worth fixing... well ;_; Anyways, it shouldn't happen now. I didn't fix the original cause, but the one that directly hanged the battle.

zaza wrote:
i think this game's item sort is too bad. it is randomly. it should be orderly.
It's not randomly. The items appear in the order you obtained them, and they are grouped in categories.

zaza wrote:
at least, the sold equipment should be able to be buyed back.

I added the buyback option, but it's not retroactive. So if anyone lost something accidentally before this update... well, rip

But since you are the only person who complained about it, I added a temporary thing that will restore your Hourglass for free:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[pl]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:00 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Another update: (1.2.2)
-you now don't need to restart to change between fullscreen and windowed
-Alt+Enter
-a Dark Souls inspired loading screen has been added! (all resources are loaded on start now, so there are no brief lags when an image loads in game or such)
-fixed a bug with Starman, which allowed to have negative stars and use it infinitely
-brief invincibility (e.g. from pounding) no longer makes Mario flash
-hourglass has tweaked description

Patch: (applies to 1.2+)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bc4c9x9e9 ... _Patch.zip

Now, one more thing. Looks like making the new sprites is taking longer than it should, so it might take forever to have them finished. I was going to wait before the mainsite release, but I'm thinking about doing it now. HOWEVER, it will cause lots of bad scores coming from graphics, so to fix this, I should either wait, or make a re-release (like, Mariovania Forever) with finished sprites. Is the latter a good idea?

Talking about sprites, here's a new Mario portrait, in two versions:
Image Image
Which one looks better? The one to the left is original, and the one to the right had colors adjusted by me.
(btw, if you want to see it in game, it's in data/gfx/faces/mario2. Just replace mario with it)

EDIT:
Forgot to mention - if someone plays it from the source (like, on Linux), update your Gosu to 0.11.1

Last edited by Ulquiorra on Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:11 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
The second one doesn't appear to have been properly color-adjusted, so I'm going for the first one.

Spoiler:

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:31 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I feel bad. At this point, I'm just holding up the release of a great game. I say submit what you've got, release an updated version when I finally get my act together, and I'll try to up my ante.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:29 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I like bigpotato's revision. In this one, the red is too saturated, especially on Mario's face.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:36 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I think bigpotato's revision is the best out of all of the three. It doesn't seem too saturated, but it doesn't look very dull either.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:54 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I think this game is pretty much in beta, right? So you might as well make a mainsite release and mark it "beta", then make another mainsite release when it's finished.

Another thing you could do is put the game on a source code hosting site, like GitLab or NotABug or GitHub. That would help organize development a little better, too (and make it easier for people to contribute if they want to).

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:34 am 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I agree with Q-Nova and Vinny. Bigpotato's revision is the best.

User page at mfgg.net

[pl]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:07 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
bigpotato wrote:
I feel bad.
Spoiler:

onpon4 wrote:
I think this game is pretty much in beta, right? So you might as well make a mainsite release and mark it "beta", then make another mainsite release when it's finished.
I'd say it's a release candidate. It's fully playable, doesn't crash, doesn't have much bugs and was even successfully streamed and few other videos were recorded without my knowledge. There's always room for improvement, but I wouldn't say it's beta. Besides, there's no "beta" option when uploading game on MFGG. It's either full or demo, and demo would be misleading here.
I could just release it normally, but warn that the graphics are WIP and then later make a refreshed release or something >.>

onpon4 wrote:
Another thing you could do is put the game on a source code hosting site, like GitLab or NotABug or GitHub. That would help organize development a little better, too (and make it easier for people to contribute if they want to).
The game wasn't meant to be open source. It's just I can't really hide the code and I don't care too much what you do with it, cuz the game is free anyways.

SuperArthurBros wrote:
The second one doesn't appear to have been properly color-adjusted, so I'm going for the first one.
You just reminded me why I can't make my own sprites ;_;

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:22 am 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Quote:
It's fully playable, doesn't crash, doesn't have much bugs

That's what "beta" means. ;) A game that isn't fully playable or has major known bugs would be an alpha. "Beta" means the program is basically complete, but might have some minor bugs or cosmetic issues to iron out.

A release candidate is something that you think is going to be the final release. After a week or so of being a release candidate, it gets re-released without the RC marker, but otherwise unchanged. That's mainly so you don't have to rush out a bugfix release shortly after (like Pygame did recently with the 1.9.2 release).

[pl]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:32 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
So, assuming I want to make the mainsite release.
I need to bypass the size limit, because the game is 60MB. Or, I can upload it with LQ soundtrack and provide it as additional download.

EDIT:
btw, I made a quick patch, which fixes Ptooie.

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:15 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
You can contact the admins to bypass the size limit.

[pl]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:06 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
100th post!

Mainsite page here:
http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb ... 2&id=33523

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 151 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic