Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 151 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
Mariovania, Mario game in metroidvania style
 [pl]
 Post subject: Mariovania
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:34 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Sooo, you may find some games that mix Castlevania and Mario games, however there wasn't any Mario fangame that completely recreates the metroidvania style.
But now, there IS such game. See what happens, when Castlevania lands in Mushroom Kingdom.

Features:
-huge, exploreable world with map
-experience and equipment system, along with magic skills to upgrade
-enemy encyclopedia and such stuff
-several abilities you need for Mario to reach new areas
-100+ old and new enemies
-great soundtrack
-many secrets

And now some screens.

WARNING! Clashing graphics ahead (sorry for these)
Spoiler:

Download (broken): https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6est8316aoj8 ... a.zip?dl=1
True download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/371i9uce8 ... ovania.zip

Mainsite link (older version): http://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&par ... 2&id=33523

Notes:
-May not run on some PCs
-Graphics are being redone right now (thanks, bigpotato!)
-Have fun, lol

Write here any feedback or something.

Last edited by Ulquiorra on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:03 am, edited 15 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
 Post subject: Re: Mariovania
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:18 am 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I'm making a mini review. (Also you are supposed to be killed by Ichigo, lol)
Cons:
1 - You can't change jump key.
2 - Mario is too tall.
3 - Everything is clashing. Use sprites from only one game. Do not make a mix.
4 - Font is blurry.
5 - ONLY ONE LIFE!!
6 - Spinjump is better than normal jump.
7 - The game crashes when music ends.
Otherwise this game is verry funny, only problem is graphics.

[pl]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:14 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
UEU Fangaming wrote:
1 - You can't change jump key.
2 - Mario is too tall.
3 - Everything is clashing. Use sprites from only one game. Do not make a mix.
4 - Font is blurry.
5 - ONLY ONE LIFE!!
6 - Spinjump is better than normal jump.
7 - The game crashes when music ends.

1. This one can be fixed, thanks for reporting
3. Sprites from one game is not an option. I can only redraw all in one style, but I have no such skill in graphics :/
5. First save room is straight right from starting point. There's no lives though, there's HP like in casual metroidvania
6. Spin jump is available later in game
7. First time hear of this. Could you describe it more?

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:18 am 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Ulquiorra wrote:
1. This one can be fixed, thanks for reporting
3. Sprites from one game is not an option. I can only redraw all in one style, but I have no such skill in graphics :/
5. First save room is straight right from starting point. There's no lives though, there's HP like in casual metroidvania
6. Spin jump is available later in game
7. First time hear of this. Could you describe it more?

5. I didn't see that.
6. I can do spinjump.
7. I don't know. It is crashed when music ends. Or a coincidence.

[pl]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:04 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
I made a hotfix for the jump key. Note that Jump is used for accepting in menu so don't be surprised when it won't respond.
Spin jump is fixed, you won't have it from start and later I will make it stronger.
Music bug was caused, because game tried to stop music and it wasn't playing. I fixed this forever.
And I removed the cmd window appearing on startup.

Update is uploading just now and soon will be available. Thanks for some feedback

User page at mfgg.net

[pl]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:03 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
UPDATED!!
It's been a long time and I'm not sure if anybody cares, but I've released new version.
This time, aside from adding lots of new content, I've played through the whole game to the point you can currently reach, doing much rebalancing, tweaking, fixing and now the game is fully playable for first few hours (unless some unexpected bug appeared).

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sj9nyeigjfcl ... 0v.0.5.zip
Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6534h ... _v.0.5.zip

User page at mfgg.net

[pl]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:36 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
sorry for multipost, don't ban me pls
I noticed that Imageshack broke all my image links (including my avatar). I reuploaded them to Imgur, so it won't happen again.

Small update on the game (I know it's been a long time, right?)
First of all: the project isn't abandoned! It's just on some ridiculous hiatus, because reasons. I'm studying right now, so I don't have much time to develop it and another problem is that I started making too many games (some of them long before Mariovania), so it's hard time to distribute time over all of them, and I don't like scrapping good ideas.

The progress status looks like this: game is finished to the point, where there's final boss made and even ending cut-scene (sort of). All enemies are done (need polishing though), and map layout is placed, including all items. Although I need to slightly rework some areas, as for example, slide upgrade is currently useless. Pretty all items are implemented too, but I may add something.
What I'm currently working on is a secret boss, which you will have to face numerous times if you want to get 100%. After I finish him, I'll have to finish a playthrough with my "legit testing character" and polish the details I think should be done better.
Then I may eventually release next version (almost full this time) and work on additional features like Boss Rush and fix all the errors testers may report (though judging from number of posts in this topic...). Anyways, there's another important issue, namely the look of Castlevania. It currently uses a random sprite found on Google Image (now you know the truth, sorry...). I will try to use my skills to shape it into legit castle, taking the real layout into account. Then the game will be finished.
Last thing I may do is to go through all the graphics and redraw them in a consistent style. The problem is, I'm not good in drawing in certain style and redrawing everything from scratch in my own style... I doubt it will happen. So either graphic upgrade won't take place or some good spriter here will contribute :) (someone?)

That sums up the future of this project. This of course when I start working on it again, which will happen eventually™
Hope you don't mind necroing and multibumping this topic. There's no reason to make a new one.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:43 pm 
Just a person.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I played the demo, and this is certainly one of the more interesting projects I've seen in a while! I like how much...STUFF there is. All of the different items, stat changes, special abilities...a very good balance of RPG and platformer.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:17 pm 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
i found this game really fun!

User page at mfgg.net

[pl]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:02 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
I finally entered the final phase of testing, which means that game is fully playable and I made a new fresh save. Now I'm playing it whole, fixing bugs on the way and tweaking. Especially, I'm nerfing everything to make the game less frustrating and annoying. I'm not that good at balancing, but I try to keep difficulty reasonable even if it feels "easy" now.

Meantime:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:35 pm 
S̛̜̭͚̗͚̪͚̃ͯ̑̉̾̍̎O͙͈̻͖̣͍ͬͨͧO̯̮̯̠N̩̫̣͛̔
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Now that's dedication, though this does look like something I might check out

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:36 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

this looks awesome, i love that youre including an enemy index

User page at mfgg.net

[pl]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:32 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
It's done! 3 years since starting this thread, but it's done! At least done to the point, where you can play it from start to end, see the ending and unlock bonus modes. Boss rush is available when you finish game and you can even get rewards!

Now, a small summary from my recent playthrough. I tried to not deliberately grind for exp and items and balanced the game around that. But I also wanted to get all collectible items (excluding drops) and in the end, I finished with level 64. I nerfed and tweaked all enemies so the game is now much more fair and infinitely less frustrating.
Fun thing to note is that half of the game is pretty much optional, because it's there to unlock the good ending (and second boss rush course).

As I said two posts before, I'll try to draw a proper castle eventually. Until then, there's no fancy cutscene at the end where the castle disappears and stuff ¬_¬

Download in first post.

EDIT:
Also, thanks to everyone who cared to post here :)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:59 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I'm glad to see that this game was completed. I played for about an hour this evening, and I've been enjoying the experience so far. I noticed that the yellow warp pipe at the end of the waterway doesn't work. If you attempt to use it, the game crashes immediately. This would be a good thing to fix, as it would be nice to be able to save before starting the challenging pipe section.

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:32 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
The graphics are very questionable... But as for the gameplay, it looks really fun, I should try the demo soon.

Spoiler:

[pl]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:37 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
I'm glad to see that this game was completed.
Thanks ;)

VinnyVideo wrote:
I noticed that the yellow warp pipe at the end of the waterway doesn't work.
About this... I knew this issue existed, but I though that I fixed it. However, I was able to reproduce it now and I have no idea why it was happening O_o I made a quick fix, but apparently, it is possible to enter "wrong room" somehow when going to the warp. It seems to happen very rarely though, as I encountered it once and can't reproduce it ¬_¬

Anyways, here's the patch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s24dgq9ejychp ... h.zip?dl=1
Just unzip it into game's directory, replacing the files, and it should no longer crash.

SuperArthurBros wrote:
I should try the demo soon.
It's not a demo anymore. It's more a beta now.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:16 am 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Oh, wow, this is Ruby! I didn't even know you could make games in Ruby.

So, question: I notice that, trying to run this in Ubuntu ("ruby Mariovania.rb"), I get a failure when what seems to be a version of ashton bundled with the game is loaded (I guess this is probably because I have Ruby 2.3 rather than 2.2). What change would I need to make to try using a version of ashton installed with "gem install ashton" instead of the bundled one? (And would doing this cause any problems?) I tried changing "require scr+'scripts/ashton.rb'" in Mariovania.rb to "require 'ashton'", but that didn't seem to work.

One other question: any chance I could convince you to put a libre license on your code, or dedicate it to the public domain?

[pl]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:27 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
onpon4 wrote:
What change would I need to make to try using a version of ashton installed with "gem install ashton" instead of the bundled one? (And would doing this cause any problems?) I tried changing "require scr+'scripts/ashton.rb'" in Mariovania.rb to "require 'ashton'", but that didn't seem to work.

I bundled the Ashton gem, because Ocra (which I use to make executables) has problems with including some libraries. It's a hacky solution to allow me distribute the game ¬_¬ It should work just fine with normal Ashton gem if you have it installed. What is the error you are getting?

EDIT:
Alternatively, you can use the bundled version, but replace the ashton.so with your compiled one (it's found in gems directory of your Ruby).

onpon4 wrote:
One other question: any chance I could convince you to put a libre license on your code, or dedicate it to the public domain?

You mean, like, making the game open source or something? You are free to use the code. Is this enough if I say this?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:31 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Ulquiorra wrote:
I bundled the Ashton gem, because Ocra (which I use to make executables) has problems with including some libraries. It's a hacky solution to allow me distribute the game ¬_¬ It should work just fine with normal Ashton gem if you have it installed. What is the error you are getting?

The error I get is just the "cannot load such file" error you normally get when you don't have the necessary library installed. This is the error I'm getting with my modification:

Code:
cannot load such file -- ashton
/usr/lib/ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:127:in `require'
/usr/lib/ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:127:in `rescue in require'
/usr/lib/ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:40:in `require'
Mariovania.rb:20:in `<main>'

It's puzzling to me because I did install ashton with "sudo gem install ashton", just like how I installed other dependencies like gosu and opengl. But all those other dependencies are being loaded just fine. I wonder if Ashton is being installed in an unusual way for some reason...

If all else fails, the idea of putting my Ashton .so file into there sounds like a decent enough fallback. Not a true solution, but better than nothing.

Are you going to put this game on NCFC next month? I hope you do and I hope I can solve this by the time NCFC is rolling, because this sounds like a fun game and I'd really like to stream it! (And I don't want to sour the experience by playing it through Wine... not unless I absolutely have to.)

Quote:
You mean, like, making the game open source or something? You are free to use the code. Is this enough if I say this?

Yeah, if you just clarify that there are no restrictions (like "you can do whatever you want with it"), that would be perfect. :) Even better would be to have this statement in the readme, or a more formal license in a file called "LICENSE" or something, but that's not essential unless you start accepting contributions from others.

[pl]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:58 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
onpon4 wrote:
The error I get is just the "cannot load such file" error you normally get when you don't have the necessary library installed.

Did you try to use it in some test program to make sure it's installed properly? It's possible that I had to modify the ashton.rb located in it's lib directory. Ashton's creator said that he will no longer update it, and it's kind of sad, since it's the only extension for Gosu that supports shaders and framebuffers.

onpon4 wrote:
Are you going to put this game on NCFC next month?

Um, I didn't even know it existed ;_;

WRT the license, I think I'll put a line into readme (not updating it right now).

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 151 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic