[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Download Here

I made this little platformer during a 24 hour livestream event a few weeks ago. You play as Cakeboy and take on the unsanitary chefs across 9 stages. It's pretty short, probably will take maybe 15-20 minutes to beat from start to finish.

Unfortunately this version doesn't have custom controls but it will detect a 360 controller and configure it automatically. Proper gamepad controls will be present in the final version in War Girl next year. If you don't have a 360 controller you'll need to Joy to Key it. Sorry about that.

Controls:
Arrow Keys - move player and cursor
A - Jump/double jump
S - Punch/use weapon
Q - pause
W - cycle inventory left
E - cycle inventory right

Special thanks to Mit & DDP for the sprite work and Sypher(AP) and Jax for the music
(I stole the SFX from Khimera)

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by Syaxamaphone on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[zw]
 Post subject: Re: Super Cakeboy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:42 am 
[*]
[*]
k i played it

kool game. really felt NES, not just from the graphics or whatever but genuinely in terms of level design and mechanics
stage 2-3 and 3-3 are hard as f***. i couldn't beat the boss in 3-3. good level tho. best part is snakes on conveyor belts

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:41 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I enjoyed it. I didn't like the boss though. He didn't really project his actions or gave me a chance to anticipate what he was gonna do. So I just made sure I had projectiles when fighting him.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:44 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
TheShyGuy wrote:
I enjoyed it. I didn't like the boss though. He didn't really project his actions or gave me a chance to anticipate what he was gonna do. So I just made sure I had projectiles when fighting him.

I've been getting a lot of complaints about the boss so I'm going to look into fixing him soon. Thanks for the feedback!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:38 pm 
I hate yellow balls of consumption.
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I gotta agree that the boss is a bit too random for its own good, plus he's just not fun to fight with the melee attack at all. Good to hear that he's getting tweaked.

Pretty much everything else was solid. Great work as always!

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:57 pm 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Not a bad game. It was challenging. The bosses were tough and the levels too. One thing I might add is this: please make it possible to save somehow. Maybe once you beat a world? I think that would be fair.

I didn't end up beating it.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:55 am 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Morrad1991 wrote:
Not a bad game. It was challenging. The bosses were tough and the levels too. One thing I might add is this: please make it possible to save somehow. Maybe once you beat a world? I think that would be fair.

You can actually select your stage from the title menu, you can jump to whichever stage you like and continue from there.

Unfortunately you won't start with any ammo you might have gotten in a previous stage but you should be able to procure some before the midpoint usually.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:13 am 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Syaxamaphone wrote:
Morrad1991 wrote:

You can actually select your stage from the title menu, you can jump to whichever stage you like and continue from there.

Unfortunately you won't start with any ammo you might have gotten in a previous stage but you should be able to procure some before the midpoint usually.

I didn't even realize what I was picking up was ammo. Thanks for the explanation, I'll play more soon. I'll use ammo this time. :)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:41 am 
SMRPG Fanatic
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I agree with the bosses, it was hard to anticipate what he'd do, and he didn't have a set pattern from what I could tell. I just gave up at 3-3's boss.

Otherwise solid game, though I have to admit I did tend to start avoiding enemies more than fighting them to conserve health. I just fought them anyway because that's way more fun, albeit more risky.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:43 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I played it. It was a fun experience.

3-3 was challenging, but it was a lot easier once I realized that I could collect ammo to use a ranged attack. This made the bomb-tossing enemies and the final boss a lot easier to deal with.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 10 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic