[us]
 Post subject: You Don't Know Luigi[cancelled]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:48 pm 
Also known as Yoshiro / Super_Yoshiro
[*]
[*]
[*]
Reason for cancellation:
though after so many hours of literal continuous work, of wanting to create a mlss-styled game staring Luigi, I have to cancel this project. Like many others that have cancelled theirs even after so many hours of work, here are my reasons:

Though the project is highly organized in different folders, I'm weighed down by the amount of code that needs to be fixed. The engine was in pretty bad shape when I first downloaded it but I thought I could implement some fixes and make it work. Bloody hell no.

I read reviews posted on the main site and some of things revealed, I tried to fix, but the game make pretty much gave me the middle finger. Even Shyguy has lag, but since it doesn't happen on my computer, I don't even know how to begin fixing this.

Damn, this sucks those because after working on my angry sun, I wanted to create an Angry Sun boss for Hub World 2- 6.

But after reading this review, and seeing the number of errors on top of the errors I had on my "Fix this" list, I laughed and was like, "f*k it." http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb ... &gid=27783

This review was so amazing and helpful but it is weighed with errors that don't show up on my game. O_O In fact, my game works fine and perfect on my computer --which explains why I felt very hopeful for this; however, it doesn't seem like that with other computers. And this wasn't tested on any other computer.

1. Imported swimming system fail. Swim left and boom, fail. You're walking becomes inverted. MOON WALK LUIGI!!!
2. Imported climbing system fail. Climbing animation doesn't work.
3. Holding system is god-awful. Its like Luigi has physic powers.
4. 48398594 errors.
5. Inventory system works but meh, it graphically looks terrible.
6. The mechanics built into the engine --I changed nothing, they're just the way they are. This engine wasn't meant to have big sprites and complicated things like what I implanted.

I leave for the Navy January 23rd --so I don't have much time to fix errors which don't agree with the engine in the first place. :( I guess I probably shouldn't have chosen this engine to begin with but I thought I'd fix it (and really was too deep into it after changing the sprites and the health system.)
I was under the impression: "Well, it's too late anyway".

BUT: I do not plan to give up on my Luigi game. I just plan to start a new project. The Brother You Don't Know. Well, technically the same -- I MAY AS WELL SPOIL IT: King Boo's name being mentioned so many times is no coincendence. Waluigi was going to lose Nexus, but Viro who betrayed Waluigi used it to revive King Boo who wanted to ache out his revenge against Luigi. You first fight part one of the final battle against him who possed Waluigi (teamed up with Viro using powers in the background) and then finally, giant King Boo real form. I was building an AI system for Daisy to help you in the last battle using her explosive field attack (which you use with Z) but screw it. Complication kill.

I like hub worlds, but I don't have the skills to build them correctly.. Anyway, this is either back to the drawing board or cancelled all together to start a new project. I would post the final engine which has 2 hub worlds, a town, etc. But since the shell system was in the middle of being fixed, you won't be able to get past King bomb. (though I do have debug keys but meh.)

I'm going to start looking for systems and an engine BASE for The Brother You Don't Know.

Until then, good luck trying to beat "Mario Hates You," a mini game I posted for people to kill 10 minutes while I sadistically dump waves of enemies on them.

Controls: shift jump, Z to use special attacks with certain items for Luigi (but for other characters, you may not need an item.)
Move with arrow keys.

About the game:

UPDATE ONE (see below for additional updates as I add them.)

update:

1. fixed Luigi's sprite
2. fixed paratrooper
3. added in the real sprites of both Nexus and Mickie fixed a few other sprite problems.
4. Changed the boss music for King bomb to the same one from Sm64 because it makes sense. I'm going to be honest, I'm tired of Mlss.
5. Changed some other songs in the game. Level one and all.
6. added the ability to pause the game.
7. removed the beta title screen and put in advanced titlescreen.

UPDATE TWO:
1. Twelves levels, 2 big bosses, 1 speed mini boss, and 1 level containing the playable Daisy.
Yes, you didn't think I was going to go with the route of having Daisy being a useless character, now did you ;D Using Luigi all the time, will make this game abit average, but to emphasize a little of Daisy's jealously and wanting show she's not a useless character, she gets her own playability.

2. COMPLETELY changed Daisy. Looks better and matches the ML partners in time style. She also has one level so far.
3. Going to add more abilities for Daisy but for now, she has physics that works out well imo. In other words, I adjusted her gravity, her speed, and other things so that she'd be her on character. I have one more playable character left to make, but you'll find out who she as you play.
4. The second boss. >:D Play it to find out.
5. Also, the NPcs on the world map will change their dialogue eventually as the story progresses. For now, Mickie Star and Daisy has one additional line after you unlock a certain character.
6. Daisy's special.
7. Removed Luigi's annoying "whoa" and replaced it with the original powerdown sound. And besides, with other characters, this is a must.
8. Changed King bomb's boss music again, this time, final. Had to down the file size.
9. AGAIN, changed Mickie Star's sprite. Yes, this is the second time, but this time it's better.
10. Changed the masks of the koopas, this time their the exact w/h of the sprite. This fixed a ton of problems with them.
11. Pushable block.
12. Fixed the difficulty of boss 2.

Possibly planned features version 2.
1. going to work on the town.
2. Inventory. You buy items from a shop = you can use them any time.
3. More powerups. need ideas. Finding sprite sheets is pretty hard though. I can't sprite :/ Nice to have Bomb Luigi xD.
4. Etc. Have more ideas in mind.

Screenies (new)
Spoiler:

DOWNLOAD
Debug key "D" is on. Use it on the world map, increases global variable completed by 1 which opens up the next level.
Demo version 1.1:
Spoiler:

Please take note that only the first world is complete, with the first Waluigi battle.
This doesn't mean all the bugs are gone, but at the moment, the above stated is done.

Credits:
Drageyzee for engine base. (I reworked things like sprites, Luigi adjustments, and added enemies.)
Sprites/tilesets: Luigi, Rogultgo, Lilly, AJ nitro, Wario bros, Mario's fan. Guss. CopperMario..
TJ the kid. Gardevoir. Starpower, Frario. And other people.

Last edited by Syr on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Most hated classic: Super Mario epic 2

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
 Post subject: Re: You Don't Know Luigi
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:40 pm 
No games
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
clashy graphics much...

Refs: ~CaMTenDo~: http://i45.tinypic.com/2cfv0xk.png supernova: http://i50.tinypic.com/16gd4h.png kremling: http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/KiddyKong/ultluigi_zps2612660b.png Mit:http://i.imgur.com/eW2W9zl.png
Dustinvgmaster wrote:
Because I'm over here being a doofus, almost everyone else is cruelly denying and Ult is offering beverages for some reason

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:08 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
just finished the demo.

sorry to say, but it was bad. REALLY bad.
first of all, the graphics not only clash, but they jitter around because they weren't centered properly in either the sprite editor or in the coding. on top of that, some enemies completely change sprite when they're hit (the paratroopa's sprite is totally different from the koopa sprite), and I remember one of the backgrounds was jpeg'd. I will give you credit for one thing, level 4's BG and mushroom tiles looked really nice together, too bad everything else clashed. the sprites weren't the only thing weird either, the physics were wonky too - why did you bother changing the physics in an engine whose physics were perfectly fine to begin with? I'm sorry, but this just wasn't good at all, you really should work on it a lot more before putting up another demo in the future.
sorry if this sounded harsh, but all of the things I addressed really should be fixed, it'd make the game a WHOLE lot better.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:21 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Mit wrote:
just finished the demo.

sorry to say, but it was bad. REALLY bad.
first of all, the graphics not only clash, but they jitter around because they weren't centered properly in either the sprite editor or in the coding. on top of that, some enemies completely change sprite when they're hit (the paratroopa's sprite is totally different from the koopa sprite), and I remember one of the backgrounds was jpeg'd. I will give you credit for one thing, level 4's BG and mushroom tiles looked really nice together, too bad everything else clashed. the sprites weren't the only thing weird either, the physics were wonky too - why did you bother changing the physics in an engine whose physics were perfectly fine to begin with? I'm sorry, but this just wasn't good at all, you really should work on it a lot more before putting up another demo in the future.
sorry if this sounded harsh, but all of the things I addressed really should be fixed, it'd make the game a WHOLE lot better.

Thanks for your criticism. As for the physics, I didn't change, default physics of the engine base: D.Y.O.S.M.E
http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb ... 4&id=13863

The collision masks are what probably makes the physics seem a bit different. Luigi's mask is the toughest thing to deal with. (And a few others.)

But I'll take your advice and get change as much as possible.

EDIT (this): OH, you mean the enemy sprites appearing to be paper mario styled while the tileset is all NSMB. Oh freaking crap, I forgot to mention that the sprites are placeholders. I'm looking for sprites right now, mlss-styled or something, but not going to lie, this isn't easy. xD

I actually want to weed out the biggest problems first --and the main thing I'm seeing is graphically. ._. This is a bit challenging though. Could anyone recommend what style the sprites should be?

Quote:
but they jitter around because they weren't centered properly

Doesn't seem so on my computer. What sprites are jittering? All of them?

Quote:
remember one of the backgrounds was [i]jpeg'd

Again, are you sure, because all of my bgs say .png. I do have an "animated" bg, but it's simply a code that's changing it from one bg to another. Cycling through 4 different bgs giving it an animating effect.

Quote:
the physics were wonky too - why did you bother changing the physics in an engine whose physics were perfectly fine to begin with?

What do you mean by this. I used the default engine's physics, but is it the walking? Running? Jumping? I'm sorry I'm annoying you, but I want to weed out as much as possible before plaguing you guys with a demo correcting these.

I'm quoting these for anyone to answer, so I can take note of these :3

Final edit:

I'll try making all sprites ML Partners and Time style (because I just realized that's style used by Luigi.) I can't touch king bomb, however. Coding him was so annoying ._.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:59 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Syr wrote:
I actually want to weed out the biggest problems first --and the main thing I'm seeing is graphically. ._. This is a bit challenging though. Could anyone recommend what style the sprites should be?

I wouldn't use MLSS, it's pretty overused. I'd assume that if you want your game to stand out (in a good way), use custom graphics, there are plenty on the main site.

Syr wrote:
Doesn't seem so on my computer. What sprites are jittering? All of them?

the sprites jitter like they weren't aligned correctly in the sprite editor, so like when Luigi walks he'll jut forward in a few random frames. it's probably an easy fix, just try to arrange the sprites so they look like they flow nicely if this is the case.

Syr wrote:
Again, are you sure, because all of my bgs say .png. I do have an "animated" bg, but it's simply a code that's changing it from one bg to another. Cycling through 4 different bgs giving it an animating effect.

I know I did see what looked like either a really scaled up BG or it was flat-out JPEG'd. not sure which level it was.

Syr wrote:
What do you mean by this. I used the default engine's physics, but is it the walking? Running? Jumping? I'm sorry I'm annoying you, but I want to weed out as much as possible before plaguing you guys with a demo correcting these.

if it's a problem with the sprites masks, then all you need to do is fix up those. I remember using the old DYOSME engine for a crappy game I made when I was younger, and while the physics lacked momentum for moving around, it was a solid engine. it just seems like it plays a lot differently in this

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:21 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
I really appreciate the reply, your advice is very helpful. I agree with aspects of custom graphics, but I made this game on terms with a friend whose unable to make games, so I have to make it with Mario and Luigi Partners in time graphics

I didn't realize that this engine was really really old until it was too late. For a new dynamic game that I'm attempting, it would be benifiting to switch engines, but in this game, I won't because I put in too much work.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. It's helpful

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:15 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I can't enter the last door (assuming the 6th is the last) for some reason.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:30 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I was able to finish all the levels, although other doors tended to disappear on me as well.

Besides the graphical issues Mit mentioned, the story could use some work, since everything about it reeks of the "bad fanfiction" smell.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:10 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
@Elyk: I'm checking out the variables right now. I never had that problem.

@Vinny: Your thought on the story is your opinion. Didn't have a chance to develop it much in this demo though
The doors are programmed to disappear eventually. I find them annoying -- a hall of purple doors ):
sry, but it's staying that way >:)

That aside, I'm about to edit this with updates in a bit. At least by today.

--I really appreciate you guys helping me out with this.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: You Don't Know Luigi --true demo available.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:40 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Bumping this for a super update. Also, if you need bigger screenies, I'll just upload using tiny pic instead of http://imagenic.net/ (which allows multiple uploading)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: You Don't Know Luigi --small demo update
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:10 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Well.. since it's my game thread, I guess I'll post the latest update in here. Though I'm feeling less motivated to continuing working on this :/

Especially after watching this: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12565
If I was a total beginner, this wouldn't effect me. The fact is, I can code and fairly well (look at the enemies, and bosses, etc) but.. I can't produce anything that good :/
If only I had an artistic ability. I normally wouldn't get discouraged --even if there are a lack of comments. It's more like, I'm disappointed with myself. Damn those 5 years of absence :/
I gotta produce a game that will score at least a 7 someway, somehow...

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: You Don't Know Luigi, latest, not that anyone cares xD
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:46 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Don't get discouraged by the lack of attention, just worry about the game. You're not making a fangame to impress anyone, you're making it for fun - so have some fun with it. Anyways, i attempted to try out the demo and ,sadly, i couldn't get to the first level due to my computer lagging like crazy after about 5 mins into it. Maybe you can implement a DLL to help relieve this( im sure theres something).From what played though, i can say this:

Intro cutscene:

-a few dialog errors

-the cutscene is static. There's not really any animation so i suggest maybe making the cutscene a book-like event or something. That way, you won't need animated cutscenes and it fits better.

-I noticed that when luigi fell down,hurt, he was floating in the air. There are other animation errors aswell in the normal gameplay/Hub

Gameplay/hub (as far as i can get before the game freezes):

-like i said, i can see some animation problems. They don't blend from on to the other, and its a bit jittery. Most likely, the frames are not properly aligned. Also, the animations are probably not aligned to blend well with eachother.

-i could see some collision box errors. I believe i [lagged] through one of the message boxes. Also when facing right/left, the collision boxes are not in the same relative place.

-Jumping is odd. Luigi doesn't seem to jump fliudly and falls at constant speed. He accelerates as he goes up...it needs some fixing.

I'd like to give more feedback on actual game play but i can't, sorry.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[us]
 Post subject: Re: You Don't Know Luigi, latest, not that anyone cares xD
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:03 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
TheShyGuy wrote:
Don't get discouraged by the lack of attention, just worry about the game. You're not making a fangame to impress anyone, you're making it for fun - so have some fun with it. Anyways, i attempted to try out the demo and ,sadly, i couldn't get to the first level due to my computer lagging like crazy after about 5 mins into it. Maybe you can implement a DLL to help relieve this( im sure theres something).From what played though, i can say this:

Intro cutscene:

-a few dialog errors

-the cutscene is static. There's not really any animation so i suggest maybe making the cutscene a book-like event or something. That way, you won't need animated cutscenes and it fits better.

-I noticed that when luigi fell down,hurt, he was floating in the air. There are other animation errors aswell in the normal gameplay/Hub

Gameplay/hub (as far as i can get before the game freezes):

-like i said, i can see some animation problems. They don't blend from on to the other, and its a bit jittery. Most likely, the frames are not properly aligned. Also, the animations are probably not aligned to blend well with eachother.

-i could see some collision box errors. I believe i [lagged] through one of the message boxes. Also when facing right/left, the collision boxes are not in the same relative place.

-Jumping is odd. Luigi doesn't seem to jump fliudly and falls at constant speed. He accelerates as he goes up...it needs some fixing.

I'd like to give more feedback on actual game play but i can't, sorry.

It seems I have no choice but to switch engines. It's going to be a pain and I may just scrap this. But before I do, I'll reveal what I added and changed:

1. Swimming
2. Climbing
3. fixed the health system: You lose lose 3 HP, in the next room, you'll still have 3 missing hit points.
3. Changed some levels. Level one is different.
4. New inventory system. Press "i" to show inventory. Press "delete" to make it invisible. You only

can interact with the inventory if its visible. You'll actually start using this after world one (which is

actually world 0). The next world after you beat the first Waluigi shows a Hub world and of course

16 more levels.
5. New World.
6. Playable Princess Scarlet. Ability: Holy Star. (Daisy's ability is Explosion field.) (Luigi is ability

is:______)
7. Remade the first two levels. They're longer, but better. And all levels now share the tileset
from NSMB. Such a good ts in my opinion.
8. New power-ups. Go Luigi!
9. New look for ??? aka Viro.
10. Town with shop (after you beat world 0, you go here.. Guys, this is going to have about 4 to 5

worlds, each with 16 levels in them. Most levels are short, but a few are a bit longer. But this will be

hubworld style. )

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: You Don't Know Luigi[cancelled]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:29 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Quote:
Even Shyguy has lag

Err sorry about the misunderstanding (and cancellation) but, in general, my laptop can't play most game maker (?) games i come across for even a short time. Its my comps fault, not entirely yours.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[tr]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:13 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
lol i was an idiot

Last edited by Mors on Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:19 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
I still have the game and I'm having a war with myself, debating whether to continue it. But the fact still stands that the engine is broken. In the meantime, I'm going to work on my new projects for a while until I figure out what to do with this.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:07 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
*Dramatic lights from the future*

O_O Can't remember the last time I touched game maker but I found my old sh*tty games and decided, why not. If I were to ever get back into game maker, I'd be sure to first PROPERLY learn how to use it because *cringe*.
Average Mario wasn't as bad as this except the stupid koopa troopers O_O. Hit box much?

Well, it was nice seeing the site after so long and more than likely I'm going to sink back into the darkness. I did play Power Star Frenzy and dropped a review. I'll probably LP some for lulz. I'm not as harsh as I sound in writing (but that's only because I have a vast sense of humor. My life without humor would be sad)

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 17 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic