[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Didn't see any current topics for this, so yeah, theres plenty to talk about after the most recent trailer.

Also, I got to play the demo, and it is really fun. I was talking to the nintendo rep about how the sand level felt really linear, only to have her point out that all the areas I had been avoiding (thinking they were out of bounds instant death spots) were parts of the level with more stuff to do, and that I (and all the other players) had just happen to all be taking the same path.

Also, another side note, but a model of Mario's ship seems to imply that there will be a Mushroom Kingdom level, focusing on Peach's castle. This is because of the fact that, in a Treehouse event, they said you can decorate your ship with stickers from different levels, and jsut look at what sticker is on this ship.

So yeah, what do you guys think of what we know so far?

Last edited by VinnyVideo on Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Topic Title Spelling Fairy came and did a thing

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Super Mario Oddysey
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:52 pm 
I'll see you all at 3:15!
[*]
[*]
[*]
This is shaping up to be the exact sort of thing I've wanted to see Nintendo do with a mainline Mario for so long: call back to a beloved older gameplay style, but surround it with creative world/enemy designs and gameplay concepts to boot.

I'm very excited. Zelda: Breath of the Wild gave me a ton of confidence to believe that Nintendo has their bearings back, and the tons of footage I've seen of Odyssey has only re-affirmed that.

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:02 pm 
It's nice to see that this game took a formula more like Banjo-Kazooie where there are lots of collectibles everywhere in each kingdom and really no specific task to take on at first. I did see that there are different hats with different abilities to use around each kingdom for obtaining the moons: the main collectibles of the game, and that there's a LOT of them.

After 3D Land and 3D World, I'm glad Nintendo is trying their hardest at Mario again like Galaxy 1 and 2. I'm just hoping that there will be more than 6 kingdoms because they just have so much personality and variety.

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:46 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
GStache wrote:
It's nice to see that this game took a formula more like Banjo-Kazooie where there are lots of collectibles everywhere in each kingdom and really no specific task to take on at first.

Kind of. From my hands on time with the demo, it seems like there are normal Moons, and "plot" Moons that advance things to varying degrees. The most I saw were ones that open new paths and what not to side areas, for example, the desert level has a section with the new Moe-Eye enemies that can only be accessed once you collect a specific moon past a 2D section. It's actually neat as you basically expand the level with different Moons.

GStache wrote:
I did see that there are different hats with different abilities to use around each kingdom for obtaining the moons: the main collectibles of the game, and that there's a LOT of them.

I believe that the costumes are purely cosmetic, outside of granting you access to specific areas, but their functionality is the same. The only exception is minor things, like warmer clothing makes it so Mario doesn't shiver in the cold. Personally, I'm okay with this as it means I can keep Mario in my favorite costumes for most of the game without any worry.

GStache wrote:
After 3D Land and 3D World, I'm glad Nintendo is trying their hardest at Mario again like Galaxy 1 and 2. I'm just hoping that there will be more than 6 kingdoms because they just have so much personality and variety.

There will be more than 6. Like I said in my first post, it's looking like the mushroom kingdom will be a level, plus they said that theres more than the 6 shown anyways.

That said, at some point, I believe they mentioned that there will be more main collectables (moons) than in past 3D Mario titles, which is generally 120. Now, I may be wrong, but I think each level has 10 moons (I have a terrible memory), so that means there'd be at least 12 levels to break even with past games, plus there will probably be a few mini levels with 1-2 moons.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:02 pm 
Chaoxys wrote:
Kind of. From my hands on time with the demo, it seems like there are normal Moons, and "plot" Moons that advance things to varying degrees. The most I saw were ones that open new paths and what not to side areas, for example, the desert level has a section with the new Moe-Eye enemies that can only be accessed once you collect a specific moon past a 2D section. It's actually neat as you basically expand the level with different Moons.

I see what you mean. I didn't watch a whole lot of the Treehouse footage for this game so I knew I would probably be wrong in some places. Well now.....it kinda reminds me of Yooka-Laylee for how you expand the worlds, but from your point, you must expand them several times unlike Yooka-Laylee.

[au]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:08 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I feel I should also mention just how great the main theme is.
[youtube]aioXn0ut6gE[/youtube]

Really though the game looks fantastic and seems to be doing what Zelda did for its respective franchise and taking a more modern approach to some areas. Getting rid of lives or using checkpoints for example, or not forcing you back to a "hub" when you get a moon. Aside from that, I'm doing my best to avoid any information about this game. I want everything to be brand new to me when I play it, so the two trailers are all I plan on seeing of the game.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:28 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
GStache wrote:
Chaoxys wrote:

I see what you mean. I didn't watch a whole lot of the Treehouse footage for this game so I knew I would probably be wrong in some places. Well now.....it kinda reminds me of Yooka-Laylee for how you expand the worlds, but from your point, you must expand them several times unlike Yooka-Laylee.

Basically, but unlike Yooka-Laylee, the worlds are already expanded, you just don't always have access to some areas. Also, I think you can sometimes skip a plot related Moon and get to one further away, like in the desert level, I think you can run past the Moe-Eye island Moon (plot Moon) and go right to the inverted Pyramid. I think the idea is that the plot Moons help to lead you through a level to the Grand Moon (or whatever that triple moon is called), but you can go about it in different ways. I'm not good at explaining things, but they way the moons work doesn't feel limiting, nor does it make things feel linear, I just want to clear that up right now.

I'd wager to guess that the plot moons are there to help major elements kick off. For example, we've seen New Donk City at night while storming. Perhaps that change happens when you collect a specific plot Moon.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Super Mario Odyssey
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:34 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i think they've mentioned that all of the moons, plot or otherwise, are "optional" in that there are no mandatory plot-related moons to collect. it's purely a numbers game in that regard.

i'd be willing to bet that grand moons are LITERALLY just counted as 3 moons rather than their own separate collectible.

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:37 pm 
I'll see you all at 3:15!
[*]
[*]
[*]
I really love how crisp the game looks. The semi-realistic elements such as the brochure, regular humans, and New Donk City actually really work in favor of the game's style and charm IMO.

It's also rare to see an in-game Mario that's really faithful to the renders/art.

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:39 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
So, you know Bonneto of the Cap Kingdom? Am I the only one who thought of Halloween Town the moment I saw it? It makes me wonder if part of this game is inspired by Tim Burton and Henry Selick's work.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:53 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Mit wrote:
i think they've mentioned that all of the moons, plot or otherwise, are "optional" in that there are no mandatory plot-related moons to collect. it's purely a numbers game in that regard.

That may be the case, but I'm not sure how you'd possibly get to the Moe-Eye island without getting the plot Moon first that leads to said island. There weren't any Bullet Bills near it that you could capture and thus fly to it with. There may be a way, but I can't imagine how.

EDIT- Now that I think about it, there was a Lakitu frozen in the oasis, perhaps you can capture him after you thaw the ice, then fly to the island?

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 11 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic