[ 8 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [kp]
 Post subject: What Belongs On the Front Page of MFGG?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:46 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
One of the things that's been brought up is rethinking the front page and what goes there.

I'm not a big fan of it. It's a mix of "latest updates to the site" and a little bit of "notable events happening" every now and then- but you wouldn't know at a glance because the update text is mostly silly jokes. As it stands now the MFGG twitter is a more reliable feed if you want to know what's going on on MFGG than mfgg.net.

It's good to have a feed of latest additions to the resource database. We absolutely shouldn't throw that out but it might not be necessary on the front page. People who are interested in that would easily be able to find an updates page and I think even they would be happy if something else was on the front page.

So here's some ideas for the front page:

If you're not logged in, a welcome message. "Hey welcome to MFGG, we have lots of fan games and fan game development resources to help you on your journey through Mario fan games." and maybe login/register links in there too. IDK I'm not great at writing those kinds of things but I just wanted to give an idea of what could be there. Doesn't have to be too significant but it should be the answer to "Why am I here and what can I expect to find here?"

With the new software someone suggested curated lists? If we have something like that I imagine we could have curated games lists like steam does here's where that happens. It'd be pretty cool to have that kind of stuff right on the front page.

Maybe we can have some blog-like features on the main site? Replay of the Month is the kind of thing I think would go great there, with an article about the game that can give us more insight on it (such as maybe history of it? or context of it (especially useful for joke games)? that kind of stuff).

Of course that's not the only thing that should be there. Here's some short ideas that you can probably use your imagination to tell what they're about.

- Top Rated Fan Games (this month? all time? something like that)
- Recent Fan Games
- Current MFGG Events

anyway that's a start. I'm no idea factory and I'm sure people who actually use the site have more to say than I do about it. It's definitely a good time to start thinking about it though.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: What Belongs On the Front Page of MFGG?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:59 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i think the front page should have site updates, developer interviews, and a fair amount of mario/nintendo "current events". stuff like E3, new games, etc so that MFGG can be a daily visit for mario info as well as fan content. we could figure out a way to host community watches of nintendo directs and whatnot on the main page/forums as well

i think kritter had the idea of having the header mario show the game of the month on his computer, with the computer itself being a link to the game in question, though that kinda fell through? i still like the idea-

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:05 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I've been thinking lately about websites like Nexusmods and the way it presents its files, filterable by what's new, what's hot, showing things as they're submitted, what's popular this month/year etc.

Really the news should be site related without being "saved up" when there's enough new games or sprites to show, and I wonder if it's even worth posting about recent games or sprites at all in the updates. I'd rather the news be there to show off Game of the Month, Events that're happening and so on. On that note, I also wonder if it'd be more productive to include a "New Files" section that's constantly updated with games, sprites etc and is filterable to show what you want rather than having to post an article about what's new.

There should also be a better resource to show things people might want to see, such as Game of the Month / Year, maybe show winning entries in competitions and whatnot. I could go on.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:20 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Presenting a collapsible "New Files" section with each update would be fine. You can maybe set that off as default too for those that don't want to see it. I personally find it useful compared to just checking each section for new files.

All that I know is that there should be more frequent updates, including updates on forum events/winners/etc.

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:22 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
Yeah it's kind a weird that approved files get saved up until someone thinks there's enough to make an update post. Should just be a feed that updates whenever they're individually approved

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:41 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Since we've talked about appealing to fan game players, I went and looked at the front page of online game sites such as Kongregate. Here's the kind of content that is showcased on Kongregate:

* Updates such as new badges, contest winners, and promotions (the first and last one aren't really relevant to MFGG, but whatever).
* Hot new games.
* Games recommended to you based on whatever else you've played.
* Top games this month, most played games, notable games (I'm feeling a bit of redundancy here).
* A sample of games for each major genre.

Featuring newer good games on the front page seems like a great idea. The first and foremost thing players should see is the best stuff the community has recently made. I would also like for the mainsite to showcase some of the best games of all time--perhaps all games with a score of 8.0 or above. The latter list can be randomly generated so it isn't recommending the exact same games all the time.

If sprites were to get their own rating system, I would give them a Top New category on the front page as well.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:38 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
If I get time I should probably alter my old MFGG3 mockup to reflect these ideas.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:48 am 
The Dark Warrior
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Heres my take. What works already rn is that the QC accepted submissions show a backlog of accepted submissions alongside obligatory comments from the staffer posting the updates. Sometimes these updates carry news info on the happenings on MFGG and the wider coverage of specific major Nintendo games. Where MFGG3 can improve in that regard regarding front page content in which the following statements and suggestions below is going to be based off of the booth and gallery idea that from my understanding seem to be the accepted consensus of where to go from there.

Here is the ideas as follows:
- Newly added resources should show up to 8 submissions at a time, arranged in a small table much like how this site does it, automated, segmented into the respective categories. If you need to see thumbnails, that should be on a separate page showcasing the full backlog of content submitted.
- Gaming News and MFGG News should be the dominant focus of the mainsite which are to be done timely by the site staff. In addition, it is also where I believe curated content are to be showcased depending on the nomination process of either it being collectively decided by staff or have the userbase suggest to staff which content to curate
- I am okay with the idea of monthly features of content but that should be reserved for games that are W.I.P., show a fair degree of activity on the part of the dev, is presentationally unique from the others, and if its relatively obscure. The point is to incentivize people into continuing working on their projects by having community support in seeing the work come to fruition.

ATTENTION! I am in need of coders to help fix Mario's physics for Mysterious Islandz. The game as it stands, is quite glitchy. If you are good at GM8 and is capable of reading FDE Exi's code, PM me!

Spoiler:

I am the true darkness. MFGG stands in my way!

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 8 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic