[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Okay so backing off from the Wiki for a sec, here's my thoughts on "Shifting Focus".

Quote:
it’s simply too hard to find good games. And in my opinion, the only way to fix this issue is redesigning some of the main site in a player friendly way.

First, let’s get rid of the updates. That page might be good for very frequent visitors, but it’s terrible for those who just visit MFGG to play games. Instead, have a proper main page that shows the stuff players want to see. Like first have a section that shows “Staff Picks”, “GOTM Winners”, or just good games that are released somewhat recently, then have a section with the highest rated games ever or something, and lastly just have a list of a list of latest games, sprites and other types of submissions. We don’t have to have the sprites as the main focus since those who are interested in them will open the sprites page anyways. If you guys don’t want to add the best games ever to the main page that can be its own page too, like a “Hall of Fame” or something. But the updates page definitely has to be gone, and there must be an easy way to find the best fangames.

This to me is the most important thing to focus on when it comes to improving the user experience. Things that the average user who might stumble across MFGG might find. For example, we've done plenty of "Game of the Month" or "Game of the Year" things, but where can a user find those kinds of things? Lets say an average user stumbles across MFGG and wants to play some games, so they click on the "Games" link and.... are greeted with 54 pages of unsorted fangames with simple filtering options. Great. Overwhelming. Where's the exit?

Despite the main site being out of date, I'm sure it's not out the realm of possibility to add a new section to showcase the Cream of the Crop fangames, so people know what MFGG fangaming is all about. That's the kind of restructuring I'd like to see being focused on, and I know a new website is on its way... someday, but we could probably be doing more about this now.

Or how Mit has suggested a number of times that we do more in-depth tutorials and stuff like that instead of the simplistic "How-to" stuff we have on the website. MFGG should be more of a resource than endless pages of fangames and sprites that the average user has to wade through. We talk about Quality Control like they're doing a bad job, but we never showcase the stuff that's really worth showing except a minor mention here and there, and none of it is easy to find. The best fangames are found on youtube, the best sprites on TSR and so on because it's so much easier to access than it is here.

Ultimately a lot of what needs to improve probably needs to be done on MFGG3/4/5whatever, but there's no reason some of those changes can't be made now surely?

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 61 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic