Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 49 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Is there no longer a way to disable swear filters?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:57 pm 
12 years god help me
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Because if so that's f*** lame

[au]
 Post subject: Re: Is there no longer a way to disable swear filters?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:56 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I disagree, since the target demographic of this website is younger people. What do we benefit from allowing people to swear when and wherever they like? A filter is a deterrent, disabling that will inevitably lead to people swearing more because there's no repercussions and that's not really something I'd like to see encouraged on this website.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:33 am 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I really do not think adding an option to disable the swear filter will encourage swearing, however it will make posts that contain swears more readable for those who have disabled it. In fact, we can keep the rule on swears intact, despite adding the option to disable the swear filter. Utilizing this rule, anyone abusing this to flood the forum with swears may be dealt with! The rule for those not aware:
Quote:
4) Keep Swearing to a Minimum
The message boards are intended to be a place that anyone of any age can enjoy. Keep swearing to a minimum, and don't attempt to bypass the swear filter.

Minor swears will not get you warned as long as you aren't being excessive with them, but we still don't encourage them.

Bigger ones should be avoided entirely, but if they appear in any media you're posting (and the media itself is relevant and reasonable enough), you need to have it in a spoiler tag with a warning beforehand.

The ruling on bypassing the swear filter would still be relevant and left intact as well, since bypassing it means you'd be forcing people who have the filter enabled to read your swears. That's NO good!

Why do I support making the swear filter optional?

I personally don't like reading a post filled with asterisks, especially when it's not guaranteed that only swears are censored. Joke censorship such as when "Minus World" was censored, for example, may be amusing but it makes posts less readable in the context that they are meant to be read.

Last edited by Pedigree on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:40 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
No I'm guarantee it will increase the rate in which people swear. Which will make asterisks even more prominent for those who keep the swear filter enabled.

And swearing does not add anything to this place, a few asterisks isn't going to give you a headache if you have to see them. What's the big deal? We're a Mario Fangaming forum centred around a young fanbase.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:51 am 
aids
the swear filter's an outdated relic anyway
currently it's sofucking easy to evade i have trouble not accidentally doing it
but if it's tightened back up you'd have to worry about **** like yoshitennis and dietwater

be honest, what's the purpose of the filter when "don't say naughty f***‌words because we're pretending kids don't swear like sailors" is already the rule

also, what's a "minor" swear vs a "major" swear?
am i gonna get dinged for saying "frickin' gosh darn heck" too much?

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:55 am 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Where exactly does this guarantee of yours come from?

May I borrow your crystal ball so that I may see whether Sonic Forces will actually be good or not when it comes out this holiday season? I will give it right back, I promise. ;)

I really do wish you would actually respond to the whole of what I am suggesting in my reply than focusing solely on the extremes. If disabling the swear filters encourages members to swear more often, staff members may correct each situation as they occur and cite the rules on swearing.

Swears may not add anything of value to the community, but neither does forcing people to have to decipher a heavily censored post if they don't mind reading swears in the first place.

I do have a rather sincere and serious question: how does a moderator enforce the rules on swearing if they cannot read them to determine whether they are too severe or not? Maybe moderators can disable the swear filter themselves? I honestly don't know, it's been a while since I've seen moderator tools on phpBB.

Anyways if the suggestion to have an option to disable the swear filter is rejected, it probably wouldn't be the end of the world for me. It just makes reading posts that contain swears a bigger pain than it should be, in my opinion. That's all I really have to say on this matter.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:28 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
We've had this discussion here before and got the same compelling reasons:

- It's ugly
- I wanna swear cuz I adult
- Kids swear anyway, might as well let them have at it
- That other board I go on that isn't aimed at kids lets me swear when I want to!

The swear filter has held up fine through the many many years we've used it without nary as much as a complaint save for a few people who say "I really don't like how asterisks look" or "I really want to be able to swear because it's my right as an [Insert Reason]!!".

I already know based on the previous discussion that I'm not the only one who believes that enabling people to swear will encourage people to swear more, and you'll never convince me that anything positive can be gained from it being disabled either. So lets get that out of the way now before I one-man-army this discussion.

If you think you need to decipher a post because someone swore then it's probably not a post that needs deciphering or you'd need to read harder, because a few asterisks dotted into a sentence doesn't automatically make the sentence impossible to read does it?

As far as I can see, the benefits of keeping the filter outweigh the benefits of disabling it by far. You'll have a tough time convincing me otherwise.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:57 am 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Then I agree to disagree with you. There's no point continuing a discussion with you when you claim that there is no convincing you of anything else. I will be happy to respond to any concerns anyone else might have with the suggestion I made in my reply. After all, your opinion is just your opinion and the suggestion isn't worthless just because you've decided it is.

The fact that you're mentioning that you'll "one-man-army" this discussion is pretty amusing. However in the future, please leave your attitude out of discussion. Your extended history here is not a license to talk down to others.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:03 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
But if I said "it's my right to talk that way" would that make it okay?

:)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:21 am 
12 years god help me
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:
No I'm guarantee it will increase the rate in which people swear. Which will make asterisks even more prominent for those who keep the swear filter enabled.

And swearing does not add anything to this place, a few asterisks isn't going to give you a headache if you have to see them. What's the big deal? We're a Mario Fangaming forum centred around a young fanbase.

You literally guarantee it? Like do you have statistics to back that up, or

Kritter wrote:
But if I said "it's my right to talk that way" would that make it okay?

:)

Oh man am I really supposed to take this seriously

You're comparing the use of colorful language to the use of personal belittlement to argue a point :confused:

Last edited by Spritey on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:24 am 
12 years god help me
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Can we stop pretending the children on MFGG are somehow not exposed to profanity every single day of their lives

(ideally we should also stop pretending that the children on MFGG are the most high-value members but that's not exactly my business)

But even if there are children here who magically haven't been exposed to swear words, it's an entirely irrelevant point, because if somebody sees "f***" and knows what they're reading, that means the asterisks are 100% pointless for that person. The asterisks only help if somebody doesn't already know what word they're meant to represent.

Basically what this reads as is "I'm kritter and I don't like swears, so my baby won't have no swears" which I guess isn't surprising.

At the end of the day there's absolutely no harm that could come from allowing individual users to see the entirety of the posts people type without Big Brother MFGG trying to protect us from something we clearly don't need protection from. Nobody is saying the swear filter should be removed by default. We're saying you've made the board more outdated and more cumbersome by removing a feature that worked perfectly fine for years

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:35 am 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Well, here's the deal

We have a swearing rule. If that swearing rule wouldn't be increasingly ignored as a result of making the swear filter optional, then I'd be 100% in favor. It is kinda dumb that my ability to fully understand posts is inhibited.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:13 am 
He has no file, He has no name!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
MFGG's swear filter used to be a toggleable thing and i legit dont know any reason why it shouldnt be other than "kritter has weird hangups about other people choosing to be able to see BAD WORDS/swear words in general apparently" like we're on the ****ing internet cusses happen because people in general have realized that saying "these words are bad dont use them" is silly outside of cases where said words have actively contributed to the oppression of a group of people (ie slurs)

Also make it so writing "sh*tty" doesnt filter to "poopy" that's just childish

Also make it so "f*cked" filters to "f***ed" instead of f*** because that actively DOES hamper conversation

Also apparently i can say "******" and "******" and "****" and "****" perfectly fine, might wanna fix that up bc it reflects badly on the priorities of the site just sayin

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:37 am 
[*]
Ban Kritter was never a ******* joke.

to this point, i recently saw some video where a stupid teenager blew both of his hands off with a pipe bomb. my only question is, why couldn't this have been zelma2chainz instead?

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:08 pm 
12 years god help me
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Yeah that's actually kind of hilarious/upsetting that almost no slurs (i.e. actually offensive words) are censored but we have to protect kids from words they already know and are using with their friends every day

And you can't just act like that's a useless point because you've heard it before, you've heard it many times before BECAUSE it's a good point

tbf you guys have kids here who believe Capitalism Is King or that 9/11 is a conspiracy, I don't think you're going to f*** up their worldview any further by letting them cuss

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:20 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
Well, here's the deal

We have a swearing rule. If that swearing rule wouldn't be increasingly ignored as a result of making the swear filter optional, then I'd be 100% in favor. It is kinda dumb that my ability to fully understand posts is inhibited.

Moderators can't even turn off the swear filter? How do you know someone has used a more severe swear as mentioned in the swear rule? :confused:

Anyways, if the swear filter is optional and you keep the swearing rule intact, the few members who do swear more often as a result can be corrected with staff action. I don't think an optional swear filter will encourage swearing as long as you keep enforcing the swearing rule.

It's a bit strange to suggest that members will suddenly shift in personality and begin swearing on a forum where they traditionally haven't just because they can turn off the filter, in my opinion.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:24 pm 
12 years god help me
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I agree, there has literally never been a large amount of swearing on mfgg, it's always been somewhat taboo and that includes when the filter was optional. There's not any kind of data to suggest that actually being able to see people's posts as they were intended would cause people to swear more. And this is coming from a Certified Oldbie

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:27 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
None of the above reasons are compelling reasons as to why disabling the filter would benefit the board. At all. Literally the same reasons I listed above:

- Kids are exposed to swearing all the time anyway
- Somehow a few **** in the middle of a sentence makes it unreadable. If you're having trouble reading that sentence then I can PM you a translation.
- We filter X but not Y, so lets just disable it all and swear up a happy storm
- It's the internet, swearing happens anyway

This is versus

- Will enable people to swear without repercussions
- Will [potentially] encourage people to swear more. You'll argue that point like you pretend human nature doesn't exist at all
- More swearing means more "****" for those that keep the filter, making the board look worse by default anyway
- Does NOT affect your ability to post a coherent sentence at all anyway. If your paragraph is unreadable because there's too many ****'s in it then chances are it probably isn't worth reading and goes against the boards swearing rules anyway.

And you're all 20somethings on a board meant for 12+ saying "let the kids swear! (so that I can swear too, because I'm a responsible adult, even though the target demographic of this board isn't me)"

And from the previous discussion we had on this topic already, here's some quotes from people who shared my opinion at the time.

Mit wrote:
i agree that it could potentially increase swearing on the boards. if the censorship in the first place is what's preventing people from saying it all the time now then making it a toggle would definitely make it worse. that makes sense and i entirely understand that point.

Super Mario WTL wrote:
Gotta say I agree with Kritter completely. The mandatory swear filter does reduce swearing and I feel like swearing is out of place on MFGG. I disagree with the silly filters like GORILLA, but the asterisks are fine.

Syaxamaphone wrote:
imo swear filter is fine the way it is. I'm sure there are bigger board priorities here.

Last edited by Kritter on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:45 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

MoneyMan wrote:
Also apparently i can say "******" and "******" and "****" and "****" perfectly fine, might wanna fix that up bc it reflects badly on the priorities of the site just sayin

I'm on it!

Though it appears that a pretty decent chunk of slurs are censored. It's more of an oversight than anything.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:47 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
The problem with re tar d/ed is that it can actually be used in a proper sentence. It'd be like banning the word autistic because people use it as an insult, it's a gray area.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 49 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic