[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
The big problem i forsee with having both "pixel art" and "spriting" comps is that very few people in spriting comps have expressed interest in working outside of pixel art (actually i think it's only one person?). Most people would still work in pixel art for these competitions out of either habit or ease, making dedicated pixel art comps largely redundant outside of maybe a couple non-pixel art entries in the spriting comps.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Rename "Sprite Competitions"
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:07 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

MoneyMan wrote:
The big problem i forsee with having both "pixel art" and "spriting" comps is that very few people in spriting comps have expressed interest in working outside of pixel art (actually i think it's only one person?). Most people would still work in pixel art for these competitions out of either habit or ease, making dedicated pixel art comps largely redundant outside of maybe a couple non-pixel art entries in the spriting comps.

Yeah this.

This might've been your point, mit, but that would be best saved for a day when we have a significant enough interest in non-pixel game art.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:08 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
maybe clarify that sprite comps are for full sheets, while pixel art comps would be more for individual pieces like in drawing comps? i see where you're coming from but i still think for now extending the current reach of sprite comps is a good idea.

i also clarified that reintroducing pixel art comps would be saved for when we do have a big enough userbase.

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:23 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Mit and I talked about it in Hotel Delfino, and I'm agreeing with him:

- Sprite Comps should be expanded to allow any kind of sprites -- not just pixel art -- and also prioritize usable sprite sheets
- Pixel Art Comps may or may not be started, and they would focus more on good art than usability

No name-changing to be done, just some rule-changing.

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:26 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Let's not start another kind of competition when activity is low as is.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:28 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
DJ Coco wrote:
Let's not start another kind of competition when activity is low as is.

me on this page wrote:
i also clarified that reintroducing pixel art comps would be saved for when we do have a big enough userbase.

me on the previous page wrote:
that being said: as the community is already pretty small, we're stuck choosing between one or the other. currently, i would think that the all-inclusive one would be a better start, but once the community starts moving again, we should re-introduce pixel art comps to be more frequent due to typically taking far less time to organize and complete, and have sprite comps have longer durations to allow for greater submissions.

me on the previous page again wrote:
2. amend the rule to follow the name, allowing for other mediums besides pixel art

i'm leaning towards the latter for now and have a dedicated pixel art comp return once we have a self-sustaining userbase again.

also sprite sheet comps would just be current sprite comps with a ruleset tweak.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:01 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
now that the last sprite comp ended, i'm gonna bump this so we can get things going again.

a lot of the submissions were pixel art- full pieces that are basically unusable in the context of games. i think we've hit the point where it's not "splitting hairs" and we really should clarify what we're doing.

i find myself agreeing with ped at the end of it all (and i apologize to him for getting mixed up about it) because if the pixel art only rule means we're not getting sheets anymore, we need to fix things.

i'm still in favor of shelving pixel art comps for now in favor of sheet comps.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:40 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

7 of the 13 submissions were either presented as sheets, or had animation, so therefore they'd be "sprite sheets" technically.

But that aside, maybe we should draw a line between the two, meaning that from now on, all submissions have to be sheets, aka more than one frame?

I guess a "sheet" could technically be one frame? Thwimps, for instance, or bullet bill.

I guess the distinction we want to make here is: if it's in the Sprite Comp, it should be usable as an in-game object; not a decorative portrait or anything.

The only examples I can think of from the comp are Syax's, bigpotato's, and SonicZetrex's. They're neither animated nor in sheet form, and don't appear to be useful as in-game character sprites.

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:05 pm 
This old dog still knows a few tricks
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
To my understanding, back in the day, that was typically the intention of a Spriting competition, creating potential assets that could potentially be used in some form of game, or as some form of asset for a project, and not stand-alone pieces (i.e. bigpotato's entry). Even if you made a portrait-like image, it was presented as if it were usable in a game as a character portrait for a HUD asset (such as with a frame or a transparent background, etc), and almost all other sprites were presented as sheets or character models with the intention of being made into sheets (i.e. Choaxys' entry).

I remember things were a little more rigid with the definitions back then, but then again my memory could be failing me. In my opinion I think the rules should just be made a bit more clear and the name be kept. I feel that way it's a bit more of a challenge to pixel artists to put their usual methods into making something either asset worthy or to animated sheet form. It emphasizes the adaptability of the challenge of the competition.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:49 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I think we should let them coexist as is until activity has picked up enough that we can introduce such restrictions without losing interest in the competition. After all, a sprite sheet won over any "pixel art" and the top five had a mixture of the two.

Competitions shouldn't serve as a way to farm new assets for the main site, they should exist for fun. If it generates new assets for the site, that's cool too, but it shouldn't be a requirement.

User page at mfgg.net

[ie]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:10 am 
thanks, neweegee!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
why don't we have separate competitions? as in, pixel art comp #1: M&L RPG. and, sprite comp #3 2017: odyssey. sprite comps could be restricted to 64x64 or less. pixel art comps would be 64x64 or more. of course, you don't have to take my idea into consideration, but it's an idea.
EDIT: finally looked at pedigree's post. realised he just said that.

my youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Pu2NplrfCUbTxE_zyHITQ

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:35 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

As I recall, the original purpose of Sprite Competitions was to encourage people to make custom sprites that could be used in games. We've had a lot of non-animated pixel art in Sprite Competitions for many years, though. I'd rather not impose strict limitations on what can be done in Sprite Comps, although it would be cool if Sprite Comps gave us more sprites that are complete enough for submission to the mainsite or use in personal projects.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:48 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
The whole sprites vs pixel art is an argument that has gone on since the very first sprite competitions. I'm surprised it's an issue that hasn't been solved yet.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:22 pm 
12 years god help me
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Pixel Art Competition is a better term that makes more sense today

Literally none of the entries in the previous sprite comp (except Yrr's) would be usable as game assets, and it's a silly requirement anyway

Just makes more sense to allow any art made with distinguishable pixels and leave it at that. I don't think this is actually a problem unless huge murals with 1,000 colors start winning pixel art comps; then we would have to think about separating pixel art & sprites

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:30 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Spritey wrote:
Literally none of the entries in the previous sprite comp (except Yrr's) would be usable as game assets

:confused:

you sure 'bout that, jethro?

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:53 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Spritey wrote:
Literally none of the entries in the previous sprite comp (except Yrr's) would be usable as game assets

Mine was supposed to be an RPG enemy sprite.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:31 pm 
I hate yellow balls of consumption.
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I'd argue that even pixel art has its uses in games. Heck, one of my entries for an old sprite comp had a theme of evolution, so I thought it'd be fun to draw evolutions for a Koopa Troopa in the style of Pokemon. (please don't look at it it's hideous ;-;)

Spoiler:

As of now, I'd be fine with keeping the name as it is, although we can always think about experimenting with a name/rule change down the road.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:53 am 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
just to clarify with some examples (taken from the previous sprite comp from bigpotato and yrr respectively)

this would be for a pixel art comp

and this would be for a sprite comp

anything that's sheeted would basically be usable in a sprite comp

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:00 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Mit is right.

Spritey is """right""". Yrr was the only one who made a truly complete & useful sheet. Heck, she went above and beyond to make a useful sheet. There's 12 objects in a damn bullet bill sheet lol, how did she manage to make so much content?

But I don't think the sprite comp should aim for complete sheets, just things that obey general spriting rules. Tile-based measurements, for example.

Pixel art seems like another category than sprite comp, and vector sprites aren't pixel art but can be sprites.

I think we're all in agreement with this.

The issue at hand seems to be what we should do moving forward. My suggestion is do nothing with pixel art for now unless there's demand for it, and move forward with lax-er sprite comp rules

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:09 pm 
12 years god help me
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Pedigree wrote:
Spritey wrote:

:confused:

you sure 'bout that, jethro?

I didn't mean to imply that none of the other entries could be made into game assets; what I meant was that Yrr was the only one who provided a sprite sheet that is fully usable today.

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 40 posts ]