[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
The MFGG Wiki was designed to be a wiki about MFGG's history. Pruning it of that completely misses the point. I'm also against pruning member accounts/fangame pages unless they're ULTRA barebones.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: The Future of the MFGG Wiki
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:36 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Nobody is saying to remove the history.

Member and fangame pages aren't historical and typically not accurate. They are self-written and contain bias as well as information not relevant to MFGG. Sure, it may be fun to write an article about yourself or your next Mario clone, but it's really doing nothing for the community but adding clutter.

Keep the stuff that matters, prune the stuff that does not.

And for the record I never said get rid of all fangames. I said to keep only game of the month, competition winners as well as those that are newsworthy. In addition, the example Kritter posted of a time capsule containing old scrapped fangames would not be purged because that is part of MFGG's history.

Mario clone #13408283948210934 made with a copy/pasted Hello engine is not. And any article that can't be revamped or expanded that contains very little useful information should be purged.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:44 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
If you are to keep member pages, they should contain statistics such as badges including those for competitions won (perhaps including which specific competitions they have won and with what entry), join date, etc. and be stripped of the self-written flavor/biased text. This is really not ideal though because such pages would have to updated and maintained. If MFGG were to grow again then you would have a huge workload just for member pages alone.

Ideally you will keep articles on members that served/serve as staff and those members responsible for significant MFGG changes and leave it at that in my opinion.

Fangame pages, if kept, should be updated with revision history, review scores, etc. But I do think maintaining that outside of the competition/game of the month winners is going to be a lot of work as well.

I mean, people keep reminding me that Vinny is the only sysop, but that amount of workload described in the op of this topic is just too much for this small userbase even if you got everyone involved. Not to mention there are countless pages that can't be updated because few that were involved with said games/events remain today.

Last edited by Pedigree on Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:47 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I think given the current userbase and the amount of workload required that the best course of action is to archive the current wiki so that people who wish to see the old member and fangame pages can do so as well as create a new wiki and copy over (and condense) anything historical that is decided to be kept. The new wiki can have sections for development guides, frequently asked questions, Q & A, etc. and start cataloging New MFGG's history.

It's way less work than trying to update/prune over 1000 pages and you will always have an archive if you want to reflect and lesser things in MFGG's history as they are currently written.

This is my recommendation, and all I have to offer at the moment.

Last edited by Pedigree on Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:50 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I would like to see some solid examples of pages you want removed.

Not that I don't believe they exist; I'm as certain as you are that they do. But I'd want to see some examples to we can get a more elaborate idea of what we do and don't want.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:46 am 
He has no file, He has no name!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Archiving the current wiki and starting from scratch isnt the best idea, imo, even copying and pasting all the important historical stuff is a pretty big workload and honestly it'd likely end up falling on the same couple people who still actively update the wiki.

I think a little pruning is ok (forgotten, unfinished, completely unnoteable fangames just take up space), but even if most member pages are self-written and somewhat biased I feel recording the impact they had on the community is important. Absolute bare-bones, two sentence member pages can go, yes, but if there's anything noteable about them at all, if they were ever anywhere close to a "known name" in the community i feel it's better to leave them and edit the page if you feel there's bias. MFGG's already lost p much all tangeable records of the previous forums, we don't need to lose more.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:19 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

The current Wiki is a bit of a mess, and archiving the current Wiki and starting fresh has crossed my mind. However, MoneyMan's post is right on the money.

There are some useless articles on the Wiki - we don't need a one-sentence article about members who registered on the forums, made an account, made a post or mainsite submission or two, and were never heard from again. The majority of the articles on the Wiki have some value, though. Some pages are quite useful indeed - for example, the Waligie article provides the only working download links to a very popular fangame series that isn't on the mainsite. If we started fresh, we'd have to look at every one of the articles we currently have and decide which ones should be ported over, revised, or archived. That's a seriously time-consuming endeavor.

And as MoneyMan noted, the MFGG Wiki is our only permanent, publicly-accessible record of previous iterations of the MFGG forums. We certainly don't want to live in the past, but we also don't want to forget our history or the fond memories that we've made over the years.

For that reason, I believe a better course of action is to do the following:

• Trim out useless articles for forgotten members and barebones scrapped fangames
  • Focus more on helpful information and less on old drama (some drama was funny or important in the grand scheme of things, but let's try not to dwell on old interpersonal disputes between half-forgotten members)
  • Upgrade the board software or CSS to modernize the Wiki layout and interface

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:14 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Good luck sifting through 1600 articles to be honest. I'd like to help but I don't have that kind of free time, hopefully you can find someone who does.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:52 pm 
Am a girl
[*]
[*]
I'll bite and dive down the sysop rabbit hole if possible.

reasonably active on the MFGG Wiki
I'm on it all the time to check peoples projects or just reminisce about old times past. Tired of all the outdated pages myself. I'd also be willing to do the account business.
you're level-headed and diplomatic
I mod over at Minus World and multiple Discord servers, which requires both of these things.
you have a basic knowledge of MediaWiki
I have made bots for pulling stats from MediaWiki in the past, I'm not too versed in the Admin side of things but admin controls are fairly standard across the web these days.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:09 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Thanks for volunteering to help. Let's talk about this.

MediaWiki isn't rocket science. If you've edited a few wiki pages and had some general experience with admin control panels, you should be able to figure out anything you'd ever need to do.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:37 pm 
Am a girl
[*]
[*]
I've edited quite a number of wiki pages in my time, and dev work on mw has be pretty familiar with acps

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 31 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic