Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 25 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Expand MFGG to more then just fan games
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:29 pm 
Am a girl
[*]
[*]
Yes yes I know its in the name but as we all sadly know, MFGG is dying and could honestly branch out to new horizons. I have a list of things that MFGG should have on its mainsite and reasons why. Of course everything here should pertain to the Mario series.

1. ROM Hacks
ROM hacks and fan games are really similar, and I think that this should have been part of the site from day one. Currently the Mario ROM hacking community is all over, SMW Central does a good job at being a SMW site but I feel MFGG could have a grand "catch all" Mario ROM hacking section, with a rating and review system much like what we have for fan games. Now due to legalities of course only the patch files would be posted, so there would also need to be a section on how to install patches.

2. Mario Maker Levels
This one is a bit of "why didn't we take advantage of this when SMM came out?" Hosting codes for Mario Maker levels seems like a no brainer to add, with an image preview and again the rating/review system added.

3. Music
We have a sounds section but no music section, this seems a little odd that they aren't separate. A place to upload MIDI, SPC, WAV and etc of Mario related music would be a super useful tool for hacker, fan game devs and just fans alike. You could have similar filtering to the graphics section of the site: base game, rip/custom, level type and so on. EDIT: A player to preview sounds/music would also be a great addition.

4. Main Game Reviews
A section of the site for users to review the different official Mario titles would also be beneficial and would bring about more activity, Have the reviews be structured like the current fan game ones only have the review itself be the focus.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Expand MFGG to more then just fan games
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:33 pm 
The Dark Warrior
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I completely agree with these measures if because I see that they are part of the focus of allowing people to showoff and develop their own Marios and are alternative pathways in getting into game development as well as they can be reviewed and commented using the current system in place (and as well as the upcoming one) and be recommended or not for others to judge before they play said games and/or use said resources.

Last edited by DarkSideStrike on Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ATTENTION! I am in need of coders to help fix Mario's physics for Mysterious Islandz. The game as it stands, is quite glitchy. If you are good at GM8 and is capable of reading FDE Exi's code, PM me!

Spoiler:

I am the true darkness. MFGG stands in my way!

User page at mfgg.net

[zw]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:36 pm 
[*]
[*]
agreed on all points
1 and 2 would be hugely beneficial i think.
3 would be pretty good
4 would be cool if people got into it

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:51 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Making it more Nintendo-focused was discussed, but I don't think anybody brought up the idea of expanding to other fan works. Interesting idea.

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:51 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i mentioned expanding to fanart and other general-mario things long ago but this was shut down due to "not being a resource".

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:53 pm 
Am a girl
[*]
[*]
Mit wrote:
i mentioned expanding to fanart and other general-mario things long ago but this was shut down due to "not being a resource".

This is pretty dumb, I feel like MFGG should also accept fanart.
It can only lead to more activity and the artists might like to help out with the games
Dustinvgmaster wrote:
Making it more Nintendo-focused was discussed, but I don't think anybody brought up the idea of expanding to other fan works. Interesting idea.

MFGG can survive as just being a Mario site. Mario Boards does just fine. I just feel like we need to expand out.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:55 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Mit wrote:

Well, sorry for misremembering, I suppose!

Profiles

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:57 pm 
The Quantifiably Quip-tic QC Dude
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
1) I'd be down with this.
2) I'd also be down with this. Maybe not a full-blown part of the main site due to the very few people who own the game (Wii U title and all that), but we could think of some way to capitalize on it.
3) To be fair, we already do have a handful of music submissions, albeit for original re-arrangements of already-existing Mario tunes and not rips. That aside, I'd be down with giving them their own sub-section.
4) Ehhh... Expansion is good, but given the site's clear-cut focus on the sharing of resources and assets, allowing reviews of official Mario games is something that I'm not so sure about. Then again, MFGG is also a site for sharing creations having to do with Mario (i.e., the fangames and custom graphics and whatnot), so maybe that's a moot point. I don't know.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:06 am 
[*]
Fanart sounds like a nice way to naturally expand the scope of the community. Sites like Starmen.net have a section on the mainsite where they feature good art the community makes. Not everyone has the skill or patience to develop a fangame so this would make things more inclusive and put something flashy on the front page to attract new users.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:06 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
All of these ideas sounds great, and could benefit MFGG in a good way.

Though, Mario Maker sounds kinda redundant as WiiU isn't that very popular and just got discontinued, along with 3DS version of not having shareable levels and no online functionality.

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:07 am 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i'm gonna link to this thread again that covers this kind of topic.

i'm in favor of this kind of shift wholeheartedly. it's a very obvious way to attract new users. get general mario fans on board, cover official stuff like new game launches and directs, then use well written and accessible tutorials to teach them how to contribute to fangames.

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:08 am 
Am a girl
[*]
[*]
Psid wrote:
Though, Mario Maker sounds kinda redundant as WiiU isn't that very popular and just got discontinued, along with 3DS version of not having shareable levels and no online functionality.

You make a good point here, but I'm confident in saying Switch will get its own version of Mario Maker.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:08 am 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Yes, I like this. Fits the general theme of the site.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:28 am 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Yoshin wrote:
Psid wrote:

You make a good point here, but I'm confident in saying Switch will get its own version of Mario Maker.

Yeah, I feel like they did way too much with it for it to just die out like this.

Profiles

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:30 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Well, may as well give my thoughts on each of these suggestions:

1. Sounds good, since ROM hacks are really just fan games in a different formula. That said, it may put us in direct competition with SMW Central, which might not be a good thing given how many more ROM hacks are hosted there than are over here.

2. Again, sounds good. Don't worry about the Wii U being dead, it's pretty likely Nintendo will port the game to the Switch at some point in time. They'd be insane not to.

3. Can't disagree with this much either. Honestly, I thought the sounds section on the main site was for exactly this, but then it turned out to just be a bunch of character voice clips and what not. Either way, a place to get Mario music for fan games and projects (and for listening in general) is sorely needed online these days.

4. Eh, not sure. The fan game focus of the site is what differentiates it from other Mario fan sites. But if the staff felt like it was needed, I wouldn't be against it.

Additionally, I also feel you should probably host episodes for Super Mario Bros X too. That's becoming a popular thing in the fan game community now, and the only competition there merely lists them in a forum topic format without much in the way of information or reviews. So something like that on the main site would be really useful to see.

https://gamingreinvented.com/

Also, for Wario fans, check out Wario Forums today!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:43 am 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
Correctly me if I'm wrong, but isn't the reason a certain other resource site refuses to post rips of the music involves online similar reasons to why piracy is frowned upon? Wouldn't that just increase the temptation for Nintendo shutting us down (especially if we post music from the newer games)?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:57 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

These are worth considering. The original Mario Maker buzz has died down, but we should definitely do 2 if/when Nintendo makes a new Mario Maker for the Switch.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:24 am 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Don't we have the Arts Board for fanart already?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:15 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I like all of these ideas.

Expanding to showcase art and music other than those good for resources is particularly a nice idea.

However, I'd like to take it a step further and say I'd love to see Nintendo Fan Games Galaxy. Why can't I find Starfox resources or submit a Starfox fan game anywhere??? :c

In fact you could probably collaborate with and merge with other niche Nintendo fan gaming sites to produce such a thing!

Last edited by Pedigree on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:16 pm 
[*]
Mr. Saltman wrote:
Don't we have the Arts Board for fanart already?

That doesn't promote submitted pieces for viewing on the more accessible main site.

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 25 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic